fixyurdivot

Hole-in-One or Lowest Score?

Scoring Trophy  

1,061 members have voted

1. 1. Which one would you rather have (or cherish most)?

• Hole-in-One
    • Round in the 60's
  2. 2. Do you have one or more Aces?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Do you have a round in the 60's?

• Yes
    • No

3 hours ago, SeeMore Putts said:

I think I'd choose lowest score. One of my nightmares is getting a hole-in-one while having a horrible round otherwise.
"That's great you got an ace! What did you shoot?"
"95. emoji2961.png"

... Haha reminds me of my cousin. He has 3 HIO's and has never broken 100. I was with him when he hit a 5 wood worm burner down a hill, hopped over a small creek, rolled up onto the green and in the hole. I was giving him a stroke and hit an 8 iron to 5 feet, made the birdie putt and lost the hole by 2 strokes. He said "I don't care if you tell people I topped a 5 wood down the hill for an ace, but please don't tell them I used a 5 wood from 158 yds. 🤣   

... A few years late he hit a 30 yd slice on a short par 3 that went in the side of the hole. The Golf Gods obviously have a sense of humor. 

• Like 9

I put the hole in hole as Ive never had one. Round in the 60s would take far superior skill, but the ace sounds better for the girls. If I played more par 3 courses or executives, my odds of an ace would sky rocket as I scare the hole often. 

• Like 4

Definitely a round in the 60s for me.  My low round is 73, which I've done four or five times.  My low nine is 34 (-2), but that came after a 42.  I feel that apple in my throat when I'm around even par on the 16th tee.

I've had two holes in one so far, and a full-shot hole out eagle.  Interestingly enough - I caddied for nine years; I probably saw north of 3,000 rounds as a caddy.  I never saw a hole in one.  To be fair, though, the course I caddied at did only have three par threes.  

I've never seen one from a playing partner either.  And I've seen both of my daughters hit the stick on par threes.

• Like 5

I've had 4 aces but a round in the 60's is far more satisfying. In fact, my first HIO was in 1993. I still had no real control over my golf ball and I remember taking 4 or 5 practice swings until I felt something akin to confidence and saying "if I can just repeat that, it will be good." I had 131 yards and I hit my Titleist Tour Balata with my Lnyx Parallax 9 iron right into the hole and shot 87 on the day. Exciting? Absolutely. Lucky? Completely! Shooting a solid score in the 60's is a completely different animal and something I find infinitely more satisfying. That said, I haven't had a hole in one in probably 15 years and I've never really had a great score with an ace on the card so a combination of the two would be great :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7

On 11/23/2019 at 4:08 AM, GSwag said:

That’s incredible actually. The albatross is a much harder feat then a HIO since you are probably hitting a fairway club or long iron in at best from over 200 yards.

Indeed.  According to this article, @chisagis really breaking the odds. 

image.png.275acb06be803d33ac0ba977aeb3ad24.png

• Like 3

I've been fortunate enough to have both.  I've had two aces and enough rounds in the 60's that I don't remember all of them.  We aren't talking 100's but we are talking 40 or 50. 

My two lowest rounds were 66 and 68 and those both came in competition, the 68 on a fairly difficult course - the 66 was on a not so tough par 70 and it was match play.  My opponent gave me a few putts none of which were likely to be missed until the one that he wanted to give me on 18 - I don't recall how long it was other than it was miss-able.  I begged him to rescind the concession and after I explained why, he did.

I'd love another round in the 60's.  I shot a 70 earlier this season so close.  I think that I still may have one a two in me so long as I play the proper set of tees.  Right now I would rather log another Ace.  If I make it to 70 and am still healthy enough I'd love to shoot my age sometime.  That would be cool.  I played with a guy in my golf league who was in his early 80's and shot his age regularly, God rest his soul.   

• Like 8

I’ve had one (lucky) hole in one (52 years ago), and my low round is 73 (45 years ago) with a second best of 77 several times. It’s an easy choice to me, I break 80 a couple times a year at most and I’ll never have a round in the 60’s, so I’d take the hole in one. 

Edited by Middler
  • Like 5

If it's a one-time only sort of thing, then I think I'd prefer to have an ace. Sharing a story about the one time I broke 70 just seems a little less magical to me for whatever reason. Now, give me a season of scores in the 60's then yeah... THAT! Lol.

• Like 6

Currently 42/100 of us have an Hole-in-One.  I'm actually amazed it's that high and even more sad that I'm in the 58/100 group 😥.

Also, the data suggests those that have them on their mantle, have more than one... seems to follow lottery and sweepstake statistics... some are simply luckier than others. 🙂

• Like 5

I know I said I'd like 60's more; but I'm still working on that "Broke 80" badge.  Maybe a HIO would get me closer to both 🙂

A hole in one, a few lucky putts, a ton of lucky misses, and I'd maybe get that 79 🤣🙂

• Like 5

I had an ace a few years ago..it was very exciting.  I have shot 70 as my  lowest score.  I have done it twice..71-72 several times.  I want to shoot 69 so bad that I can taste it.  At my age, I have to hope that it is coming in the next year or two.  My game is still pretty good, but time is not on my side.  So..I have decided that this winter I am going to get professional help with my putting since I think that saving a couple of strokes on a good round will make the difference. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, deauxrite said:

I want to shoot 69 so bad that I can taste it

I'm more surprised that 33% of this data group have a round in the 60's.  As has been pointed out, even with some extra mojo flowing, this achievement requires extraordinary play.  Of course, it could be that the poll is heavily weighted with our single digit handicap spies.

• Like 6

I'd want the hole-in-one. Closest I've come to shooting in the 60's is a 70(which was par) which is good enough for me. But I've had three instances where I've almost had the hole-in-one. One that dunked and bounced out, one that had it been two inches to the right when it landed it would have gone in and one where I had been to inches to the left it would have gone in. 

• Like 2

I'm more surprised that 33% of this data group have a round in the 60's.  As has been pointed out, even with some extra mojo flowing, this achievement requires extraordinary play.  Of course, it could be that the poll is heavily weighted with our single digit handicap spies.

You have to remember that we aren’t getting an “average” cross section of golfers here by any measurement.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my not-so-illustrious career as a golfer of over 40+ years, I have 6 hole-in-ones.  Yes, 6.  My last one was in 2008 on a course that is now closed.  I have been close more times than I can count but nothing since then.  

My lowest round was a 66.  Grant it, it was on a par 70 golf course back in high school during a regional tournament.  But still.  2 birdies on both sides & consistency all around that day.  Why is it that I can remember a round that was almost 12 years ago but I can't remember what I had for dinner last night?  My how the mind works .... 

But to answer the OP's question, I would much rather have a round in the 60's.  A hole in one could be a lot of luck, lucky bounces, ricochets, etc.  While a round in the 60's really shows that you were on your game that day.  Everything seemed to be clicking.  Now get consecutive rounds in the 60's .... THAT's an accomplishment!  When they say "these guys are good" on TV..... they are.  4 rounds in the 60's like it's nothing??  The 2nd round of the two day tournament that I shot a 66 .... well let's just say it wasn't as easy the next day.  The competition & nerves got to me because I was leading & I ended up blowing up that day to a 78 ...  144 for a 2-day total & lost by 2 shots.  😞   I was much better back in the days of high school & college.  Where does the game go?? 

• Like 2

One of our new members has a low round of 64 in his personal best - that's crazy.  It got me to thinking about whether I'd want a 60's score or my first ace.  I'd love both but the odds of that are like next to none.  I just flirted with being -2 for the front nine this past Monday and that required some amazing (for me) sequence of stellar shots.  Shooting in the lower 60's sounds just unobtanium.... lower odds than getting an ace.
How many on the forum have both a hole-in-one and a round in the 60's?  If like me you have neither on your mantle, which one would you prefer?

Interesting question. I have 1 ace, low score 78. For me shooting my age would be my my favorite golf accomplishment. Since I’m 73 I’m gaining on it.

• Like 3

On 12/2/2019 at 10:25 AM, revkev said:

You have to remember that we aren’t getting an “average” cross section of golfers here by any measurement.

So are you suggesting (outright stating) that MGS members are the creme-de-la-creme among all other golf forum members?  😉  By mere estimate of listed handicaps among our members, it appears we're fairly representative of the golfing community at large... but maybe not?  This brings up the question; what is our MGS combined handicap?  

On 12/2/2019 at 10:53 AM, golfinnut said:

In my not-so-illustrious career as a golfer of over 40+ years, I have 6 hole-in-ones.  Yes, 6.

That's pretty lustrous IMO.  With only so many given out each season, no wonder some of us are still wanting. 😄 

• Like 2

At m age, probably will never shoot a round in the sixties, even from the red tees, so I will keep searching for that 1st Hole in one🙏🏻🙏🏻

• Like 2