Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Hole-in-One or Lowest Score?

fixyurdivot

Scoring Trophy  

1,063 members have voted

1. 1. Which one would you rather have (or cherish most)?

• Hole-in-One
    • Round in the 60's
  2. 2. Do you have one or more Aces?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Do you have a round in the 60's?

• Yes
    • No

It's a shame the graph can't distinguish automatically the subsequent responses from the first question. Would love to see that info.

:cobra-small: LTDx LS 9*D,  HZRDUS Green HC 60g 6.0, 45" 4g + 12g weight 
:cobra-small: King LTD @ 14.5* HZRDUS Blue 70g 6.0, 42.5"
:cobra-small: King LTD  @ 17.5*, HZRDUS Blue 70g 6.0, 4
0.5"/ :cobra-small: 2022 Utility Iron 2 @ 17*, Ventus Black 10x, 39.25"

:cobra-small: 2022 Utility Iron 4 OL @ 20* Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36"
wishon.png.f487cdf69e368c89461d72fa6fc7bbe4.pngEQ1-NX OL 5i-PW Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36
"

Cobra SBOL 48*, 52*, 56* Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36"
OIP.jpg.04da427c8e36dc0d247492fdfa8569f6.jpgC-Series DW Armlock

Vice Pro Plus

I had an ace a few years ago..it was very exciting.  I have shot 70 as my  lowest score.  I have done it twice..71-72 several times.  I want to shoot 69 so bad that I can taste it.  At my age, I have to hope that it is coming in the next year or two.  My game is still pretty good, but time is not on my side.  So..I have decided that this winter I am going to get professional help with my putting since I think that saving a couple of strokes on a good round will make the difference. 

M2 Driver Fujikura Regular Flex

Mizuno 921 Tour Irons-- Titleist Wedges

A new Sik Armlock putter

3 hours ago, deauxrite said:

I want to shoot 69 so bad that I can taste it

I'm more surprised that 33% of this data group have a round in the 60's.  As has been pointed out, even with some extra mojo flowing, this achievement requires extraordinary play.  Of course, it could be that the poll is heavily weighted with our single digit handicap spies.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I'd want the hole-in-one. Closest I've come to shooting in the 60's is a 70(which was par) which is good enough for me. But I've had three instances where I've almost had the hole-in-one. One that dunked and bounced out, one that had it been two inches to the right when it landed it would have gone in and one where I had been to inches to the left it would have gone in. 

Driver -  :titelist-small: TSi2 10* - Mitsubishi Tensei Blue

Fairway -  :titelist-small: TSi3 15* Mitsubishi Tensei White

Irons -  :cobra-small: Speed zone 4/5/6/7/8/9/P with KBS v tour steel stiff shafts

Wedges -   :taylormade-small: 48/54/58 - Tour V wedge shafts 

Putter -  :scotty-small: 2021 Phantom X 5 - 34" w/ superstroke flatso 1.0

Ball -  :titelist-small: Prov 1 optic yellow

Bag - :titleist-small: Players 4 plus stand bag - lagoon/black/charcoal

I'm more surprised that 33% of this data group have a round in the 60's.  As has been pointed out, even with some extra mojo flowing, this achievement requires extraordinary play.  Of course, it could be that the poll is heavily weighted with our single digit handicap spies.

You have to remember that we aren’t getting an “average” cross section of golfers here by any measurement.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

In my not-so-illustrious career as a golfer of over 40+ years, I have 6 hole-in-ones.  Yes, 6.  My last one was in 2008 on a course that is now closed.  I have been close more times than I can count but nothing since then.  

My lowest round was a 66.  Grant it, it was on a par 70 golf course back in high school during a regional tournament.  But still.  2 birdies on both sides & consistency all around that day.  Why is it that I can remember a round that was almost 12 years ago but I can't remember what I had for dinner last night?  My how the mind works .... 

But to answer the OP's question, I would much rather have a round in the 60's.  A hole in one could be a lot of luck, lucky bounces, ricochets, etc.  While a round in the 60's really shows that you were on your game that day.  Everything seemed to be clicking.  Now get consecutive rounds in the 60's .... THAT's an accomplishment!  When they say "these guys are good" on TV..... they are.  4 rounds in the 60's like it's nothing??  The 2nd round of the two day tournament that I shot a 66 .... well let's just say it wasn't as easy the next day.  The competition & nerves got to me because I was leading & I ended up blowing up that day to a 78 ...  144 for a 2-day total & lost by 2 shots.  😞   I was much better back in the days of high school & college.  Where does the game go?? 

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM9 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

One of our new members has a low round of 64 in his personal best - that's crazy.  It got me to thinking about whether I'd want a 60's score or my first ace.  I'd love both but the odds of that are like next to none.  I just flirted with being -2 for the front nine this past Monday and that required some amazing (for me) sequence of stellar shots.  Shooting in the lower 60's sounds just unobtanium.... lower odds than getting an ace.
How many on the forum have both a hole-in-one and a round in the 60's?  If like me you have neither on your mantle, which one would you prefer?

Interesting question. I have 1 ace, low score 78. For me shooting my age would be my my favorite golf accomplishment. Since I’m 73 I’m gaining on it.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

On 12/2/2019 at 10:25 AM, revkev said:

You have to remember that we aren’t getting an “average” cross section of golfers here by any measurement.

So are you suggesting (outright stating) that MGS members are the creme-de-la-creme among all other golf forum members?  😉  By mere estimate of listed handicaps among our members, it appears we're fairly representative of the golfing community at large... but maybe not?  This brings up the question; what is our MGS combined handicap?  

On 12/2/2019 at 10:53 AM, golfinnut said:

In my not-so-illustrious career as a golfer of over 40+ years, I have 6 hole-in-ones.  Yes, 6.

That's pretty lustrous IMO.  With only so many given out each season, no wonder some of us are still wanting. 😄 

rather have: 60's.  this means that you didn't have just one great/lucky/perfect shot and you played lights out for 4 hours.

excited to have: H-i-1 ... never done it but it must be exhilarating - at the time - to get it.  Kind of like that full court heave in bball that goes in to win the game and you had 2 points prior to that.  Cool and memorable but that's about it... (I'd rather be the guy who had the triple-double)

FWIW -  I have a buddy who is a member at a fancy-shmancy course in town and he is a legit 31 handicap.  He's a CPA and on his wall in his office is a trophy from a hole in one he got years ago.   

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

57 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

rather have: 60's.  this means that you didn't have just one great/lucky/perfect shot and you played lights out for 4 hours.

excited to have: H-i-1 ... never done it but it must be exhilarating - at the time - to get it.  Kind of like that full court heave in bball that goes in to win the game and you had 2 points prior to that.  Cool and memorable but that's about it... (I'd rather be the guy who had the triple-double)

FWIW -  I have a buddy who is a member at a fancy-shmancy course in town and he is a legit 31 handicap.  He's a CPA and on his wall in his office is a trophy from a hole in one he got years ago.   

Couldn't have said it better....

I do have a HIO, but it was to a slightly elevated green so I didn't see it go in. It was still a thrill to find the ball in the hole.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

i ve had 10 hole in ones,,,,,i have only seen 3 of them go in,,,,one was a fly in, the other 2 a one hop from a foot and spin in.  please let me see another one !!!

Edited by zgolf

I've had 3 aces, and had one round in the 60's.  I've been as low as even-par 72 this year, so I suppose having another in the 60s is still a possibility, and I'd say that's the feat I'd cherish the most.  Next would be to shoot my age, and I'm still a few years away from that being a possibility.  Another ace would be amazing, but its not on the top of my golfing dream accomplishment list.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

On 12/17/2019 at 12:52 AM, vnmslsrbms said:

I can't believe that 30 percent of the respondents have scored in the 60's.  I've holed a shot from outside 100 yards on a par 4, but guess that doesn't count. 

That surprises me as well.  But, as @revkevsaid, the poll, in all likelihood, does not represent the average golfer.

• 1 month later...
On 11/22/2019 at 1:57 PM, perseveringgolfer said:

low score trumps all holes in one- I've seen 24 h/cappers get a hole in one. I've seen beginners get a hole in one. I've not seen many golfers shoot in the 60's scratch.

I have a HiO to my credit.

I like saying: If it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all

If it wasn't for TV, I'd never see a score of 60.

DRIVER: :ping-small: G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
3+W: 
:srixon-small: Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
5W: 
:srixon-small: Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
IRONS: 
:ping-small: i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2, Red Dot
PUTTER: :ping-small: Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
WEDGES: 
:ping-small: Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts
BALL: :srixon-small:-XV
CART: :1590477705_SunMountain: V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
BAG: :1590477705_SunMountain: H2N0, PING C-130
BACK UP: :ping-small: S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)

15 hours ago, mdgboxx said:

I have a HiO to my credit.

I like saying: If it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all

If it wasn't for TV, I'd never see a score of 60.

Never say NEVER.............try a nine hole course.............viola!

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

• 2 weeks later...

LOL, I have seen close to 60 on a 9 hole course.

I have seen a legit 67 when I caddied for our club pro in a tournament. I have never been lower than 8 hdc. 

DRIVER: :ping-small: G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
3+W: 
:srixon-small: Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
5W: 
:srixon-small: Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
IRONS: 
:ping-small: i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2, Red Dot
PUTTER: :ping-small: Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
WEDGES: 
:ping-small: Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts
BALL: :srixon-small:-XV
CART: :1590477705_SunMountain: V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
BAG: :1590477705_SunMountain: H2N0, PING C-130
BACK UP: :ping-small: S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)