Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Dick's bad service

BIG STU

I dont know if this is the right place to post this so I will apoligize in advance. I have read a lot on here regarding Dick's and after today I will put my 2 cents in. I went into Dicks at the Coastal Grand Mall today to buy a new pair of golf shoes. I looked at the avaible selections and found a pair. During the process no one offered to say anything or help me. I stood at the checkout in the golf section for 15 minutes or so while one clerk was helping another customer. There was another clerk there he did not acknowledge me or say anything. Finally the clerk that was helping the other customer asked me if I was wanting to check out and I told him yes about 10 minutes ago. He said you can go to the other checkout lines. I went there there were only 2 lines open and stacked up with customers. One cashier tried to call to the guy from the golf section (the second one that walked away from the golf section) and he was too busy bouncing a soccer ball off the wall to respond. I finally paid for my shoes and left. The only reason I did not walk out was because my shoe size is hard to find (13 w) and if the weather clears I plan on playing tomorrow after church.

In retrospect I will go somewhere else or either order my shoes on line. I also plan to send my Dick's card into their main office along with a letter explaining why and where they can stick it. I have made my final purchase at Dick's. I know if we ran our business that sorry my boss wuld fire everyone involved

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Sounds like a very frustrating experience. Another reason to shop from a locally owned store, although, I can understand the allure of some fancy new kicks....

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

That sucks, it's getting like that all over the place.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

A former Dick's employee told me that Dick's deliberately under-staffs to save money. Not sure how credible he is, but I find that (at my closest Dick's in Natick, MA, which is 2 stories) they usually have 1 person upstairs (golf, hunting/fishing, camping, outdoors apparel, boating, winter sports), 1 person roaming around the ground floor (covering bikes, team sports, apparel, and workout equipment), 2 people (max) at shoes, and 2 people (max) at checkout. That's 6 people by my count, and even that seems a bit high.

Sounds like a very frustrating experience. Another reason to shop from a locally owned store, although, I can understand the allure of some fancy new kicks....

I agree with you 110% on doing business with local stores. I tried at two of the local independantly ran shops on this end of the beach. My size is hard to find (13 w) and neither store had my size. I really did not want to ride to N Myrtle Beach to the golf shoe store up there. I was planning to play today but a work related issue came up and so I did not get to play. I did get a great shoe for a great price but frankly the service SUCKED. Like I said I will get the little shop down the road to order my next pair of shoes. I will probably pay a little more but at least hey appreciate my business. It was just one of those things. I had split my shoes last Sun and I had a hectic week at work and forgot all about needing shoes. To put it in a nutshell if in the same situtaion again I will either play in tennis shoes,play barefoot or not play at all before I go to Dick's period

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

This is a very interesting point, and even though I'm kind of high-jacking the thread here, I find it important to talk about this issue.

WE all complain about big brand companies and retail stores, but we are all responsible of that terrible personal service. Why? Because we prefer to save $10 on a pair of shoes and buy at a retail store where service sucks, rather than go to the locally owed store where the service is still marvelous, you get advice on everything you buy and you are supporting small business, which need clients like you to keep running. Dick's, the Sports "Walmart", doesn't need you as a customer, they sell by the bulk, that's why no one takes notice of you. The little store needs your purchase to make the day, and that's why most will always try to give you a great experience.

What do you guys think about this? Aren't we all in part "guilty" of what its happening? Isn't our mistake what makes us mad these days regarding customer service and PR?

Cheers,

I like the Dicks here. The two gentlemen that work in the golf section are two of the nicest guys I have ever met. Even if they are helping another customer, they take the time to greet you and tell you "they will be with you shortly". Now that being said, I only go there if I need something immediately; I do 99% of my shopping online.

I like the Dicks here. The two gentlemen that work in the golf section are two of the nicest guys I have ever met. Even if they are helping another customer, they take the time to greet you and tell you "they will be with you shortly". Now that being said, I only go there if I need something immediately; I do 99% of my shopping online.

That's the thing about big chains: you never know what you're going to get. The Dick's in my area is not that great. But when I think about it, I've been to Wal-Mart's and Meijer's that have fluctuating customer service, depending on where I go. I know it'd have to be frustrating, especially if a poor Dick's is the only golf option.

Jamo, I'd believe the guy about the understaffing. Both of my younger brothers (they're twins) worked at a local Meijer's for most of their college days; one in frozen and the other in hardware. They saw their resposibilities increase, while some workers either quit or were let go. We do it at my shop (and others that are "Six Sigma Certified")... they call it "running lean" or for the cynical "do more with less to make profits higher".

I will go to my local golf store or Golf Galaxy, in that order. Service, advice and professionalism is very important to me, when there is little price difference!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Archived