TESTERS WANTED! ×

Volunteering - US Senior Open

Wedgie

I need some quick help.  I just got an e-mail from the Rhode Island Golf Association asking for volunteers for the 2020 Men's US Open being held at Newport Country Club.  Pretty simple form to fill out and I'd love to do it.  Problem is they require you to purchase a "Volunteer Kit" which includes a shirt, baseball hat and quarter zip pull-over for $95.  I don't have an issue paying the $95 if I know I'm going to get selected but there is no way of knowing.  

Has anyone else run across this before and what did you do?

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Usually you don’t have to pay if you aren’t selected as a volunteer. Generally on the system you signup using there is contact email; so send an email to the tournament and ask their policy.

On the site I signup as a volunteer I can register but not immediately pay for the uniform.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

From what I remember when you paid you were in and received all the Volunteer “stuff”.
We Volunteered @ TPC Cromwell CT for about a decade.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

• 3 months later...

I talked with them about it the Golf Expo - they need 2100 people and assured me that the odds of getting selected if you sign up to volunteer are pretty good.

I was thinking about doing it as well.  Sounds like a full commitment though.
At least 4 days if not more (you can volunteer before the tournament starts apparently?).

But - you get to see some great golf on a beautiful course.

These are the 'committees' you get assigned to:
https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/championships/2020/Senioropenvolunteeroptions.html

This FAQ is pretty good too:
https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/championships/2020/u-s--senior-open-volunteer-faqs.html

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Anyone ever volunteered to work at a tournament for the Senior PGA?

What did you like/not like?  What committee were you on or wish you were on?

Tips/tricks for anyone thinking about it?

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

On 11/26/2019 at 8:17 AM, Wedgie said:

I need some quick help.  I just got an e-mail from the Rhode Island Golf Association asking for volunteers for the 2020 Men's US Open being held at Newport Country Club.  Pretty simple form to fill out and I'd love to do it.  Problem is they require you to purchase a "Volunteer Kit" which includes a shirt, baseball hat and quarter zip pull-over for $95.  I don't have an issue paying the $95 if I know I'm going to get selected but there is no way of knowing.  

Has anyone else run across this before and what did you do?

I volunteered at The Boeing Classic (Champions Tour) for all but one year since its start.  They always had a small fee to help pay for the ballcap,1/4 zip pullover, t-shirts, etc. - but it was always well less than half the cost or those items retail (pretty much cost).  I presume you have options on what role you like; walking scorer, sign bearer, marshal, driving range, practice greens, etc.?  All required a short ~2 hour overview course.  I've done them all and liked the practice green and walking scorer the best.  Have fun.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I've never worked a Senior PGA event, but I've done 4 US Opens:, 1997 at Congressional, and 1999, 2005, and 2014 at Pinehurst.  I've had few different assignments.  At Congressional, we were "special assignment" marshals, which basically meant we filled in as needed.  One day along the ropes, a couple of practice rounds walking just inside the ropes and parallel to a specific group.  Twice at Pinehurst I worked on the (manual) scoreboards, and once along the ropes at hole 6.  I've also volunteered at the practice area at Congressional for the AT&T a couple of times.

Since the OP is looking at a USGA event, I'll talk about my experiences.  On the application, we were asked to select a couple of "preferred" areas of work, with no guarantees that we'd get one of them.  The scoring is interesting, but continually updating the "throughboards", the ones showing the group playing the hole at the time, kept us really busy.  Working along the ropes wasn't nearly as busy, but you didn't see much.  I believe we needed to be available for 4 shifts of 6 to 8 hours each.  Things like the ropes need volunteers for 7 days, including Monday-Wednesday practice rounds, the scoreboards it was only competition days.  Our pass was good for the entire week, any time any day.  The last two times in Pinehurst, we stayed with friends who live on course 1, and I'd occasionally walk up for just a couple of hours of watching.  The last time at Pinehurst, they had a separate air-conditioned tent just for volunteers, and we got a ticket for a burger or sandwich for each of our "work days."  All in all, every time was a great experience, its fun to feel like a part of something like that.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Anyone ever volunteered to work at a tournament for the Senior PGA?

What did you like/not like?  What committee were you on or wish you were on?

Tips/tricks for anyone thinking about it?

Yes, PGA & Senior.

I was on special teams which was a group that handled moving players between the range and Tour Vans, controlling ropes around the clubhouse and putting / chipping areas. If I return in 2023, I’ll request special teams again.

The commonality between both the Sr & PGA is that as the week evolves, there are volunteers who fail to honor their commitments. Naturally, the PGA requires more manpower as it’s a larger scale event. For the week, you’re committing to 16 hours minimum, from Monday/Tuesday-Sunday.

We had half a dozen guys from the firehouse who were on Special Teams. When Saturday / Sunday approached, our team leader asked for guys from special teams to follow feature groups for added crowd control. It was an inside the ropes special and you were following Tiger / Phil etc.

The work is there if you want to do it and for the price, I would do it again...I still wear my Cutter & Buck polo and 1/4 zip.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/