GolfSpy MPR

No Putts Given 24: Top Driver Trends of 2020

2020 Drivers  

13 members have voted

1. 1. How likely is it, right now, that you'll be buying a new driver in 2020?

• A virtual certainty
    • More likely than not
    • A total toss-up
    • Not planning to
    • Ain't no chance

Our Sponsors

In this week's episode:

• 0:56 - Top Trends for Drivers in 2020
  • 12:41 - Cobra putters(?)
  • 18:33 - MGS visits Priority Designs to make Most Wanted even better.
  • 23:31 - Does your golf ball have THIS?
  • 30:10 - Cobra's SpeedZone Driver(!), Fairway Woods and Irons.
  • 44:57 - Vokey's SM8 wedge wants to raise the ceiling further.

_______

📺 Watch it:

🔊 Listen to it:

I agree with the comment on maxed out center hit technology.  The area with potential for MASSIVE improvement is AI applied to shaft development and the tightening of specs so a player can select a shaft for swing speed with a ( for example) 1-10 rated butt, mid and tip spec.  Combining AI with swing profiles/ speed and tightening manufacturing specs to produce a defined, measured  shaft profiles  will be the next area of dramatic driver distance improvement.  Your face is maxed out, your shaft has HUGE potential for specialization and improvement. I anticipate a day when you send a video of your swing, some data on swing speed, and you are FIT to a  profile that can be produced to exact spec.  Right now you test a "labeled" shaft, order it, and receive a shaft in a "RANGE" that may or may not be even remotely similar to the shaft you tested.  The manufacturing spec is too broad, the inspection process is almost non existent and yet we order $500 shafts with a label that may be far from accurate. This is the area of greatest potential improvement in my opinion

Edited by John S

I agree with the comment on maxed out center hit technology.  The area with potential for MASSIVE improvement is AI applied to shaft development and the tightening of specs so a player can select a shaft for swing speed with a ( for example) 1-10 rated butt, mid and tip spec.  Combining AI with swing profiles/ speed and tightening manufacturing specs to produce a defined, measured  shaft profiles  will be the next area of dramatic driver distance improvement.  Your face is maxed out, your shaft has HUGE potential for specialization and improvement. I anticipate a day when you send a video of your swing, some data on swing speed, and you are FIT to a  profile that can be produced to exact spec.  Right now you test a "labeled" shaft, order it, and receive a shaft in a "RANGE" that may or may not be even remotely similar to the shaft you tested.  The manufacturing spec is too broad, the inspection process is almost non existent and yet we order $500 shafts with a label that may be far from accurate. This is the area of greatest potential improvement in my opinion

Swing speed alone should not be used to fit a shaft. My 100mph swing may be completely different from another 100mph swing. Even if shaft specs were consistent within a manufacturer you still need to understand how the shaft loads for your swing.
  • Like 2

On 11/26/2019 at 5:47 PM, John S said:

Out on interest how do you know  "The manufacturing spec is too broad, the inspection process is almost non existent" ? is this from testing or inside info?