Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Old school leather Mizuno cart bag

Mr. 82

This is one of those deals where your neighbor from about 12 years ago leaves a golf bag out with the trash and you happen by and see it and go, “this is too nice to go in the trash.”

So I’ve had this bag in my house for about that long and just stored old clubs in it till now. Several weeks ago I took it in to a leather repair shop to fix the zipper on one of the larger pockets, and got it back today.

What I really like about this bag is how easily clubs slide in and out of the bag. My current PING carry bag struggle with clubs in and out so I thought I’d give this old bag a try, because I’m on a cart most of the time. I can keep my carry bag in the car in case I feel like walking.

Any idea what a leather bag like this might have cost either originally or now?

IMG_2994.JPGIMG_2993.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

Looks to be in pretty nice shape. Cost? I have no idea. I've been offered a cache of old clubs to use in our First Tee program. I'd guess there must be 40 old bags like yours stuffed with old sets of irons (lots of blades) and drivers, etc. Many are wooden! I'm sure there are some collector items among the stash but I have no idea or even care really about that. Some of the old bags I've looked at are pretty cool - retro.  Anyway... nice bag you have there.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

• 4 weeks later...

Good looking bag, but is that one of those faux-lambskin straps?  Those things are perfect... for turning your shoulder into hamburger.  Carried far too many of those things as a kid.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

One nice bag!!! Right up my alley. Probably made for Mizuno by either Burton or Miller. And Looper is right about those straps. I will tell you something else about those straps if the bag is carried a lot in hot humid weather the strap will get a funky smell. Now the way you are using it I see no problem. Looper also knows this trick too I bet when they got that funky smell spray them with Right Guard deodorant. Those also have real metal zippers spray them with WD-40 from time to time and you will have absolutely no problems. Back in the 80s 90s those bags sold for around $150 to $200. I have an old school Burton that I found at Goodwill for $9.95. Unless you have guys like me who care about that sort of thing no one really cares or appreciates those type of bags anymore. Now some old school staff bags go for big prices--- Red and White Spalding and green and white Macgregor bags go for a pretty hefty sum. The old Wilson Staff Staff bags fetch hefty prices too. Back in the day I know of guys ( mostly hustlers) that played everyday and rode carts and those bags held up for 10 years or more--- Yeah they were that well built. I have a couple of Burton bags that are Ryder cup bags I have less than $10 in

Edited by BIG STU

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Currently have 5 90's Titleist Staff bags in garage holding old golf clubs, bought them as storage to keep my clubs organized. Leather, too big to use as a everyday bag, even on a cart. Grips rub on each other in a bag, you shake the bag lightly with each pull or replace, no hang up issues then.

This is one of those deals where your neighbor from about 12 years ago leaves a golf bag out with the trash and you happen by and see it and go, “this is too nice to go in the trash.”

So I’ve had this bag in my house for about that long and just stored old clubs in it till now. Several weeks ago I took it in to a leather repair shop to fix the zipper on one of the larger pockets, and got it back today.

What I really like about this bag is how easily clubs slide in and out of the bag. My current PING carry bag struggle with clubs in and out so I thought I’d give this old bag a try, because I’m on a cart most of the time. I can keep my carry bag in the car in case I feel like walking.

Any idea what a leather bag like this might have cost either originally or now?
IMG_2994.JPG.937a20672241f29908496881620cb07b.JPGIMG_2993.JPG.669053c2c25b14ebfe0d704551f04b14.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice bag!
A while back I saw a guy walking out of Goodwill with a similar bag in fair shape. He probably paid $10 for it. I would have grabbed it for at least club storage or clean it up and use it. Would have looked good on my cart.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

4 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Looper also knows this trick too I bet when they got that funky smell spray them with Right Guard deodorant.

God, those things created the worst funk.  

I worked in the shop in addition to caddying, and we had bag storage for the members.  We'd leave those things out on the rail all day to de-funk before bringing them in and cleaning them.  We'd hit the straps with Lysol; never thought of Right Guard.  You always knew who carried one of them because one of the shoulders of his shirt would be brown and the neck would be stretched out to his upper arm.

You got those loops as punishment for when you pIssed off the caddymaster.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

4 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

God, those things created the worst funk.  

I worked in the shop in addition to caddying, and we had bag storage for the members.  We'd leave those things out on the rail all day to de-funk before bringing them in and cleaning them.  We'd hit the straps with Lysol; never thought of Right Guard.  You always knew who carried one of them because one of the shoulders of his shirt would be brown and the neck would be stretched out to his upper arm.

You got those loops as punishment for when you pIssed off the caddymaster.

We never had caddies at the course the old man ran but I knew a lot of caddies from the Country Clubs around town. A lot of them played and gambled at the course the old man ran and of course I gambled and played with them. This is a bad thing to reflect on but in those days even if they were employees of a club African Americans were not allowed to play there any time period. My old man could care less what color one was you were welcome there anytime. He also gave the caddies a break on greens fees etc. The part about the funky straps reminded me of something. I hired a guy I played with some to caddy for me in a US Open sectional since it was at his home course and he knew it like the back of his hand. I had a fairly new Red White and Blue Spalding staff bag that had once belonged to pro golfer James Black and was proud of it. My old man sold those slide over furry strap pads in the shop. He told me to buy one so it would be good on Jerry's shoulder. First thing Jerry did was unsnap the strap and pull that thing off. Told me to put it back in the shop when I got home. He was the one who told me about them "funking up with smell".  He also told me that one time they used a half a can of Right Guard on one. BTW I made it through the sectionals both years with Jerry on the bag but came up short in the regionals with him on the bag. The regionals get tough when one course is Congressional and the other one is Atlanta Athletic Club and the sort of competition there 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

8 hours ago, Slypanther said:

Currently have 5 90's Titleist Staff bags in garage holding old golf clubs, bought them as storage to keep my clubs organized. Leather, too big to use as a everyday bag, even on a cart. Grips rub on each other in a bag, you shake the bag lightly with each pull or replace, no hang up issues then.

And this is also one of my hangups--- Older bags always had like 3 sections only and I like that. Most of the more modern ones had a divider down the center. I pull that divider out and make mine a 3 section again. I have modified my Burton and both of my Titleist bags like that. My Jones came stock with 3 sections so no modification necessary. I gave a guy my Infiniti Staff bag after that deal ran out and another guy remarked to him " You can tell that is one of Stu's bags because the curtain dividers and center section are taken out. And nope I have absolutely no grip hang problems with my set up

G