Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Anyone try Golf Digest online weight/flexibility training?

I’m not a gym rat but I saw the Golf Digest has online weight/fitness training.  Anyone try this?  Anyone you recommend?  Also considering Yoga for Golf.  Looking for someone who can keep my 67 year old frame going.  Thanks.

Yoga is good. Flexibility.

You could use your Golf Digest mags as your Yoga mat. LOL

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

3 hours ago, h2ohzrd said:

I’m not a gym rat but I saw the Golf Digest has online weight/fitness training.  Anyone try this?  Anyone you recommend?  Also considering Yoga for Golf.  Looking for someone who can keep my 67 year old frame going.  Thanks.

There is a specific "Yoga for Golf" program. The gal that does the dvd series is Katherine Roberts - focus is on flexibility, balance and strength. I've used it for the past year - especially the flexibility exercises before league play (fyi I'm 72 and never did yoga before this). 

https://www.yogaforgolfers.com/

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

• 3 weeks later...

I’m also 67 and a gym rat. I have not tried the Golf Digest program, but I have tried yoga, and I can recommend it based on my own experience. I would suggest avoiding hot yoga since there is an increased chance of injury, particularly if you are not an advanced practitioner.

While I am not in a yoga program at the moment I do use a number of stretching exercises after working out to maintain flexibility. On days I am playing I skip the gym but always do a stretching routine that has several yoga based stretches included. I have tried not stretching before playing and my game suffers every time. Shots are shorter and accuracy is even worse. As a result I don’t begin to play better until the back 9.

I stretch before I go to the course and then do a few more shoulder, back and arm stretches before the round. On the course I will do a few more stretches to stay flexible. I’ve found it pays to do these before I start to stiffen. If I start to seize up it’s already too late to really recover due to the increased number of stretches I would have to do to recover flexibility.

Super speed golf has a very good stretching routine you can use on the course that you might want consider as well.

You may have to try a few different programs to find what works for you. Since I am always looking for new ideas to keep my exercise routine fresh I am going to take a look at Tony@CIC’s recommendation. 

Good luck.

The key question is what are you looking for? With yoga I would suggest you focus on a flow series to help with MOBILITY not just flexibility.

In golf and like we are not really interested in how far we can relax into but rather what range of motion we can use our body and generate power from our muscles.Yoga can be great but so can all exercise. Since you say you aren't a gym rat I would suggest that you find something that challenges you whole body and that you enjoy.

• 10 months later...

I believe that yoga exercises and in the gym will help to increase muscle mass. Yoga will help you to stretch your body well, strengthen your joints. The gym will build muscle and give strength in the arms. I prefer the gym more, but my physique and metabolism did not allow me to get the shape I wanted, so a friend advised me to use YK11. I asked sarmguide.com here that this is a steroid that will increase muscle mass and strengthen bones, and this is exactly what I needed, but I advise you to read about it in more detail to avoid side effects. it is advisable to consult a doctor for advice.

Edited by Stive_Rogers