TESTERS WANTED! ×

Home course slope going up

pulledabill

Found out today that my home course was just rated again and the slope is going up like 4 or 5. Seems like a significant increase and Im not sure why it went up since no real changes since the last rating. Ive always found the course challenging as it can be real tight around the houses,  White tee is only 5900 but is a 122 slope and that is going upo 126 I believe

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

9 hours ago, pulledabill said:

Found out today that my home course was just rated again and the slope is going up like 4 or 5. Seems like a significant increase and Im not sure why it went up since no real changes since the last rating. Ive always found the course challenging as it can be real tight around the houses,  White tee is only 5900 but is a 122 slope and that is going upo 126 I believe

Is this the first time it's been re-rated? Since the rating comes from actual data - it must play tougher. For course handicap purposes my calculator shows you picking up one additional stroke going from a 122 to 126.

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

As far as I've read, the USGA Course Rating system hasn't changed with the implementation of the WHS.  Although the system is intended to be as objective as possible, based on measurements and evaluations of a bunch of factors, there's still a certain amount of subjectivity.  You can read a little about it here:

https://www.usga.org/handicapping-articles/course-rating-primer-e5bf725f.html

In my experience, its not really uncommon for the slope and/or course rating to change when a re-rating is done.  My own home course changed from 71.0/132 to 72.0/135 when we were re-rated a few years ago.  Initially, your own course handicap may go up by a stroke, but your differentials will be a bit lower.  After a while, your handicap index will go down, and your on-course handicap will return to its normal level.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Course was originally built in 64' or so. Mid 80s they  revamped the course and added houses.  Ive been a member the last 3 years but have played it since the 70s. 

A guy I played with last night said this was his 10th year as a member and he had never seen it changed or rated.

Found where the USGA said a re-rating is needed when major changes occur or at least every 10 years. 

I just find it interesting that it went up.  I suppose a report wil come out with the reasons why. 

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

When they rate a course, they look at scores from the member players, as well, to determine the course rating/slope and which holes are the harder holes.  This includes your best players through the best players.  Our course was just recently rated again.  I haven't seen the results yet, but I've heard our slope increased by 1.  Last time it was rated, I was surprised at the  changes as to which holes were considered harder.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

45 minutes ago, CarlH said:

When they rate a course, they look at scores from the member players, as well, to determine the course rating/slope and which holes are the harder holes.  This includes your best players through the best players.  Our course was just recently rated again.  I haven't seen the results yet, but I've heard our slope increased by 1.  Last time it was rated, I was surprised at the  changes as to which holes were considered harder.

In the USGA system, there are no scores to consider.  It is outlined in the link I posted, they use two idealized golfers, and consider length and obstacles to scoring.  If you can find a reference to using actual scores in the course rating, please let me know.  I do know that the handicap numbering of the holes is done based on the actual scores, but not the course rating and slope.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

2 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

In the USGA system, there are no scores to consider.  It is outlined in the link I posted, they use two idealized golfers, and consider length and obstacles to scoring.  If you can find a reference to using actual scores in the course rating, please let me know.  I do know that the handicap numbering of the holes is done based on the actual scores, but not the course rating and slope.

I believe you're correct....actual scores help determine handicap numbering, not slope/rating.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Seems like a strange time of the year for a rating. It’s usually done when conditions are typical for peak play. Now isn’t peak playing season in the Valley. If they rated in the summer, it should have already been put into effect.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

43 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Seems like a strange time of the year for a rating. It’s usually done when conditions are typical for peak play. Now isn’t peak playing season in the Valley. If they rated in the summer, it should have already been put into effect.

I didnt even consider the time frame (2 weeks ago) that it was done. Good point. 

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

When is the last time that the course was rated? I know that our slope and course rating went up a few years back.

The reasons were two fold - the new greens brought some tougher potential pin placements and it was discovered that the course was longer from all tee locations than originally measured.

In pulledabill’s case it could be that the added houses that tightened the course had yet to be accounted for.

Did the course rating change?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Okay, got the update on why the rating went up. It seemed to be centered around the trees on several holes growing. A couple holes you used to be able to cut  a couple corners which you cant do anymore, and a couple other holes narrowed because the trees got wider. 

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

11 hours ago, pulledabill said:

Okay, got the update on why the rating went up. It seemed to be centered around the trees on several holes growing. A couple holes you used to be able to cut  a couple corners which you cant do anymore, and a couple other holes narrowed because the trees got wider. 

Makes perfect sense.  And those dang trees grow so slowly, you never really notice how the holes change.  

Sam Snead "I used to hit it right over those trees when I was your age"

THUNK

Sam  "Of course, they were a lot shorter back then"

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia