Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Anyone played Cut balls since they changed covers?

therod

I got an email from them saying they had tweaked their covers for the sake of durability. I tried some blues and some grays over the summer, and had a problem with the covers shredding. Just curious if anyone has played them since they changed the cover. I will probably get a dozen or 2 for Christmas, and will play them if I get them when I go to Tucson in January.

• 4 weeks later...

Just got some of the Blue balls (haha) for Christmas from family and I played 54 holes over the weekend. I've played Chrome Soft for the last two years after two-plus decades as a Titleist (ProV1/Professional/Tour Balata) lifer. I typically change out a ball once during a round from wedge wear or maybe some 'damage' from a greenside bunker shot. This weekend I was able to  use the Blue at the same frequency, save for one ball I had to take out of play from an errant drive that collected some tree bark. 😡

I'm pretty loyal to brands but for the dollar (even though I got these balls for free), I have to say the Blue is really top notch. I don't know the durability issues that Cut had but it seems that the batch I used was every bit as impressive as premium brands.

I’ve played 5 rounds with the Cut Blue ball this month. I really enjoyed the feel and performance of the ball. Cover seemed to hold up as well as the ball I normally play.

We have an indoor range that I’ve been frequently going to on bad weather days.
They’re just individual bays with nets connected to them. Makes it nice though because you can hit your ball instead of range balls and no worries of losing them.

Was at this facility several times this month and used these balls to practice for close to an hour each time. The covers seemed to hold up pretty well. They did rip up a bit quickly with my wedges. It’s more likely do to new wedges though. 

The ball seems more durable now then previous model. 

On 11/30/2019 at 1:33 PM, romeopapazulu said:

Tagging @chisag. I know he tried these and didn't have any luck. I would check with him on timing of his trial and a new cover. 

... Yup, about a year ago working with the CEO my first batch had quality issues with the cover before even hitting one. He sent me 2 dozen more and they shredded after one wedge and sometimes just a normal iron shot. Any company that would send out not 1, but 2 bad batches loses my trust. The new covers seem to be much better but again, I just have little faith in the company. Ymmv ...

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

7 hours ago, Rick_Igney said:

I’ve played 5 rounds with the Cut Blue ball this month. I really enjoyed the feel and performance of the ball. Cover seemed to hold up as well as the ball I normally play.

We have an indoor range that I’ve been frequently going to on bad weather days.
They’re just individual bays with nets connected to them. Makes it nice though because you can hit your ball instead of range balls and no worries of losing them.

Was at this facility several times this month and used these balls to practice for close to an hour each time. The covers seemed to hold up pretty well. They did rip up a bit quickly with my wedges. It’s more likely do to new wedges though. 

The ball seems more durable now then previous model. 

I found a couple in some used balls and tried them. I also ripped them up with the wedges and they were not new wedges either 15 year old 588s. I had played a couple of holes with them and for some reason they had a funky feel off the driver for me. They also had a funny feel off my 7 iron too. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

• 1 month later...

While mindlessly browsing the internet, I got an ad for a free sleeve of Cut Grey.  The ad was from Cut themselves, so I followed the link to see what all they had to say about their product.  Beyond all the new and improved cover and so on, they have a list of companies that trust their balls.  On the top line of the list was MGS.  Pretty bold claim by Cut based on the results of the golf ball test from last year's golf test.

Screenshot_20200208-235254_Chrome.jpg

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

• 3 weeks later...

I just purchased 5 dozen of the Cut Grey.  I have used these in the past few years, but had built up a stock of them.  Never had a issue with the cover, but never had purchased the ones that reportedly had an issue.  Played the new ball last week, had no issues with the cover.

I did purchase some Gamer Urethanes last year during the "cover" issues reported.  I was shedding those covers like no one's business.  So was my son.  Pieces of cover were coming off after every stroke.  Those might end up at Goodwill.

Cobra F8 Driver - UST Mamiya Helium Black 5F3

Cobra Speedzone 3W - Fujikura Pro 53 R

Cobra F9 5-6 Fwy - Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Blue 6-R

Mizuno MC Fli-Hi 4H - Rapid Taper 95 (R)

Mizuno 919F 6-GW - Rapid Taper 95 (R)

Mizuno 919 SW - Rapid Taper 95 (R)

Vega Alcor 60 LW - KBS Tour 105 (S)

Bettinardi SS3C

• 1 month later...

i have played Cut and they perform better than expected for the money, i like the 4 piece which i think was the gray, only issue was the cover durability so if they truly have fixed that this is a great ball option in my opinion.  The one issue i had was flight with wedges as they tend not to fly as far for some reason, the mygolfspy test indicTed that as well.  I will be interested to see if this is fixed.

Michael Miami, FL
5.5 USGA index
Cobra Rad Speed 9 degree with smoke HZRDS RDX 6.0 shaft
Tour Edge 15 degree 3 wood with 6.5 HZRDS Smoke shaft
Srixon XZ 16 degree rescue with 6.5 dynaflo shaft

Cobra Amp  #4/5 22 degree rescue

Cobra F9 speedback irons 5-PW

Cleveland CG 46 Degree

Cleveland CBX 50 degree
Wilson Staff SW 54 degree
Rife Enzo blade with Graviry Grip cut to 32"