fixyurdivot

Tesla Cyber Truck

Has there ever been a golf driver, iron, or putter sold on the open market that is as ugly as Elon's Cyber Truck?   With the talent pool he has on staff, I'm really quite surprised at this.  It could be that my tastes in automotive design/looks have finally fallen outside the bell curve, but this easily gets my vote to sit among the top 5 worst ever 🤮.  What say you?

Tesla's new Cybertruck, in a promotional picture from the company.

Tesla's new Cybertruck with the cargo area closed.

• Like 3

I

21 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Has there ever been a golf driver, iron, or putter sold on the open market that is as ugly as Elon's Cyber Truck?   With the talent pool he has on staff, I'm really quite surprised at this.  It could be that my tastes in automotive design/looks have finally fallen outside the bell curve, but this easily gets my vote to sit among the top 5 worst ever 🤮.  What say you?

I think more putters will fit into this category than irons or woods. 

• Haha 1

Frankly, I don’t think there is a single golf club out there, that looks worse when compared to Tesla’s Cyber Junk.

• Haha 2

Frankly, I don’t think there is a single golf club out there, that looks worse when compared to Tesla’s Cyber Junk.

I agree - no real styling at all and the truck .....really? Someone approved that design??

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

I submit for your review the Cleveland VAS iron.   Although Corey Pavin did use them to win the 1995 US Open at Shinnecock. 

F0AFB4CA-35A4-4952-84F5-3DCA60308621.jpeg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

I agree - no real styling at all and the truck .....really? Someone approved that design??

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I know, it has Elon Musk written all over it... 

1 hour ago, joen said:

I submit for your review the Cleveland VAS iron.   Although Corey Pavin did use them to win the 1995 US Open at Shinnecock. 

F0AFB4CA-35A4-4952-84F5-3DCA60308621.jpeg

That’s the one that popped into my head, but I still say that the “truck” is worse. 

• Like 1

My first reaction to the styling wasn’t positive. However, there are some good reasons it looks like it does and the design provides features no other production truck does.

“Tesla’s Cybertruck design differs from traditional autos because it uses a stainless steel exoskeleton instead of a traditional body-on-frame design.  In the traditional design, the car body doesn’t have as much structural integrity and is mainly used for aerodynamic and styling purposes, and to protect occupants from the elements.

In the Cybertruck’s design, the entire vehicle exterior is used as a stressed member, allowing it to do double duty as both the body and the frame.  This reduces complexity, and since Tesla is using ultra-hard steel, increases sturdiness of the vehicle’s exterior.

This is why the doors were able to resist a sledgehammer swing from von Holzhausen, and were shown to be bulletproof in a demonstration video shown by Tesla during the reveal event.

The problem with this hardened steel exterior is that traditional auto-body stamping machines are made to deal with much smaller, more malleable pieces of sheet metal. These machines take a flat piece of metal and then smash it against a mold, creating the curve of each body panel separately.

But since the panels of the Cybertruck are so stiff, machines aren’t strong enough to stamp them. In order to add curves to the Cybertruck’s body, Tesla would need to build a whole new type of stamping press — or just design the car without curves.  They did the latter.”

Edited by Middler
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Middler said:

The problem with this hardened steel exterior is that traditional auto-body stamping machines are made to deal with much smaller, more malleable pieces of sheet metal. These machines take a flat piece of metal and then smash it against a mold, creating the curve of each body panel separately.

But since the panels of the Cybertruck are so stiff, machines aren’t strong enough to stamp them. In order to add curves to the Cybertruck’s body, Tesla would need to build a whole new type of stamping press — or just design the car without curves.  They did the latter.”

That makes sense - but it's still ugly. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

That makes sense - but it's still ugly. 

Probably explains why many military vehicles are slab sided with few curves. I suspect that, and the near indestructible features, will appeal to some potential buyers.textron.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Middler said:

In the traditional design, the car body doesn’t have as much structural integrity and is mainly used for aerodynamic and styling purposes, and to protect occupants from the elements.

I'm trying to understand the need for the bulletproof glass and apparent meteorite impact protection... wait, now I get it, these aren't intended for market here on earth 😄.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

I'm trying to understand the need for the bulletproof glass and apparent meteorite impact protection... wait, now I get it, these aren't intended for market here on earth 😄.

You and I don’t want one but people bought Hummer H1’s and buy $80K Ford pickups now. Some people will want the Cybertruck, they have 250,000 deposits reportedly, we’ll see.

Thats a nice $25M interest free loan on Tesla’s balance sheet.

Edited by Middler
  • Like 1