TESTERS WANTED! ×

I weighed 100 golf balls and here's what I found.

I can't play at the moment because I'm injured so decided to put my golf balls to use. I weighed 100 golf balls from 8 different manufacturers and here's what I found:

• The better the condition of the ball, the heavier it will be on average. Poor balls weighed 45.72, average balls weighed 45.73, good balls weighed 45.8 and new balls weighed 45.93 on average.
  • If you play poor condition balls, you could see a weight difference of 3.3 grams from one ball to another. If you play average condition balls, they could differ up to 2.9 grams in weight from one ball to the next.
  • New golf balls have very little difference in weight from one ball to another with 0.1 grams difference between the new balls I weighed.
  • Playing balls in good condition means you’re only likely to see about a 1.1 gram difference in weight between balls.

Golf ball variance based on condition

Ball conditions were defined as: 

• Poor - visible damage to the point that the ball is unplayable, such as holes/cuts in the ball or sections missing.
  • Average - some visible damage such as small scuffs or marks but appears fine to play with.
  • Good - no visible damage to the ball, you can only just tell it's been used.
  • New - brand new golf ball never been used before.

May look to expand my data set in the future so any ideas for getting more insights are welcome! 

1 hour ago, davidrichards said:

I can't play at the moment because I'm injured so decided to put my golf balls to use. I weighed 100 golf balls from 8 different manufacturers and here's what I found:

• The better the condition of the ball, the heavier it will be on average. Poor balls weighed 45.72, average balls weighed 45.73, good balls weighed 45.8 and new balls weighed 45.93 on average.
  • If you play poor condition balls, you could see a weight difference of 3.3 grams from one ball to another. If you play average condition balls, they could differ up to 2.9 grams in weight from one ball to the next.
  • New golf balls have very little difference in weight from one ball to another with 0.1 grams difference between the new balls I weighed.
  • Playing balls in good condition means you’re only likely to see about a 1.1 gram difference in weight between balls.

Golf ball variance based on condition

Ball conditions were defined as: 

• Poor - visible damage to the point that the ball is unplayable, such as holes/cuts in the ball or sections missing.
  • Average - some visible damage such as small scuffs or marks but appears fine to play with.
  • Good - no visible damage to the ball, you can only just tell it's been used.
  • New - brand new golf ball never been used before.

May look to expand my data set in the future so any ideas for getting more insights are welcome! 

Next step?  Identifying where the weight loss is or how/why it occurs? And then how does weight loss affect ball flight? It would be an interesting exercise for Tony C and the next golf ball test. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Poor: I don't personally know anyone including me that would play a ball with chunks gouged out of it, cuts, or holes. LOL So those can be eliminated from the analysis. These type balls are beyond poor. They're junk.

Average: I generally discard a ball if it gets a serious scuff from a cart path or tree. Therefore for me.... eliminated. I'd also consider these Poor quality.

Good: I'll play these. They've been hit a few times but in very good condition. I'd call these Like New.

New: Speaks for itself.

I don't fret over granular differences as related to balls and other equipment/clubs. I do however keep my ball and clubs cleaned during a round. I don't think anybody - including a TV golfer could ever tell or suffer in their game by playing a ball that's not brand new.

Perhaps more interesting would be the weight of Brand New balls from various companies. Including DTC balls. Are golf balls restricted (USGA) one way or another (minimum-maximum) by weight? What does a single golf ball weigh? Are they all the same regardless of type? PV1 vs Pinnacle vs Snell vs Bridgestone vs Maxfli vs Mojo, etc. etc. Beats me.

Maybe Mr. Richards can offer us some information. 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

If I am reading this right the real results are that new from ball to ball there is little variation. Then as quality deteriorates there is greater and greater variation from ball to ball. 

Is that correct??  

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

53 minutes ago, Quigleyd said:

If I am reading this right the real results are that new from ball to ball there is little variation. Then as quality deteriorates there is greater and greater variation from ball to ball. 

Is that correct??  

Quite right and put much more concisely 😀

8 minutes ago, davidrichards said:

Quite right and put much more concisely 😀

It would be interesting to find out where the weight goes?? Is it due to the cover damage? 

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

2 hours ago, Quigleyd said:

It would be interesting to find out where the weight goes?? Is it due to the cover damage? 

All the water it soaks in from being hit in the lake.  😂

Edited by GSwag
  • :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

1 minute ago, GSwag said:

All the water it soaks in from being hit in the lake.  😂

In your joke you make a good point. I had not considered them getting heavier. Just lighter. 

... With the cost of green fees, carts if you take one, equipment, accessories as well as clothes/shoes ... the cost of 1 ball is almost irrelevant, especially if you buy them on sale. So I start every round with a new ball. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

This is real interesting and something I have never thought of. I started working at TopGolf and have been hitting a ton of balls the last few weeks. I am going to have to find out what they weigh in comparison to the balls I regularly play. Wondering how much difference the chip inside them weighs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For 90+% of us, I seriously doubt it makes a whit of difference if the ball is new or slightly used. Other than looking pretty and shiny, I very much doubt even "good" players can tell a difference. I'll just stick with purchasing used balls. My game doesn't know the difference and neither do I.

Edited by silver & black

2 hours ago, chisag said:

... With the cost of green fees, carts if you take one, equipment, accessories as well as clothes/shoes ... the cost of 1 ball is almost irrelevant, especially if you buy them on sale. So I start every round with a new ball. 

I could never play at your level, Chi, but I did the very same thing.  May as well start in a happy place because odds were it wasn't going to stay that way. 

9 hours ago, chisag said:

I start every hole with a new one typically. Not because they are cheap, but because for some reason I misplaced one somewhere between the tee and green on the last hole...