TESTERS WANTED! ×

Should I trust my local DSG fitter?

A friend of mine recently went to get his irons fitted at our local Dick's Sporting Goods. He's 5' 5" and they didn't want to shorten the shafts but wanted to change the lie 3° (he didn't specify, but I'm assuming 3° flat). I know next to nothing about fitting, but I would think that if they would shorten the shaft some, they wouldn't have to make such an extreme lie angle adjustment. Am I wrong or is my local fitter incompetent? I bought a driver and hybrid from them and honestly the way I'm hitting them both, I feel I don't need adjustments but I would like a second opinion and would rather not waste my time getting that opinion from someone that probably knows about as much as I do.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The general opinion is to not get fit at big box stores. That said they may employ a quality fitter. What training or experience does the fitter have?

There are lots of factors involved in a fitting and without knowing more it is impossible for us to determine if the clubs should be shorter.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Odds are not great that this person is a quality fitter but it is possible.  Generally speaking, if someone can charge for it and make a living they probably know what they are doing but as always, results speak volumes.   

When it comes to length, it is more about arm length than it is height.  I'm 5'10" and testing shows that a +1/2" club performs best.  I've fit many players at 6'5" or taller and many have had tremendously long arms where no additional length was needed.  Some have been +1 to 1-1/2" longer.  It is best not to make generalities.  

32 minutes ago, edteergolf said:

Odds are not great that this person is a quality fitter but it is possible.  Generally speaking, if someone can charge for it and make a living they probably know what they are doing but as always, results speak volumes.   

When it comes to length, it is more about arm length than it is height.  I'm 5'10" and testing shows that a +1/2" club performs best.  I've fit many players at 6'5" or taller and many have had tremendously long arms where no additional length was needed.  Some have been +1 to 1-1/2" longer.  It is best not to make generalities.  

Agreed. People tend to forget that wingspan/arm length increases as height increases.

I'm 5'11". My new irons are "standard" (37" 7-iron), and they feel a lot better than my previous clubs that were a half inch longer across the set. My arms are slightly longer than average for my height (I wear a 35" sleeve in dress shirts, so not super long, but about an inch over what I would consider average), and the standard length is very comfortable for me.

I do play my 52/56/60 wedges just slightly longer than some, and at identical length (35.5"), however.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

1 minute ago, edingc said:

Agreed. People tend to forget that wingspan/arm length increases as height increases.

I'm 5'11". My new irons are "standard" (37" 7-iron), and they feel a lot better than my previous clubs that were a half inch longer across the set. My arms are slightly longer than average for my height (I wear a 35" sleeve in dress shirts, so not super long, but about an inch over what I would consider average), and the standard length is very comfortable for me.

I do play my 52/56/60 wedges just slightly longer than some, and at identical length (35.5"), however.

The fit does not have to go throughout the bag.  My irons are +1/2", hybrid standard, 3W -1/2" and driver is 44-1/2".  It should be fairly specific and for a specific reason.  

I would trust anyone at dsg. Most of the people I’ve seen there know nothing more than some general info they could find in the internet.

Golf Galaxy sometimes is only slightly better. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• 1 month later...
On 12/3/2019 at 10:24 AM, cnosil said:

The general opinion is to not get fit at big box stores. That said they may employ a quality fitter. What training or experience does the fitter have?

There are lots of factors involved in a fitting and without knowing more it is impossible for us to determine if the clubs should be shorter.

This. 

Fitting is one area where local knowledge is paramount. There are MGS forum members all over the US (and scattered around the world). Tell us where you are and we can recommend someone. 

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I think I recognize your user from the Beard Board. Are you on there as well? 
mad other said, DSG May or may not have a quality fitter. As hardcorelooper mentioned. Many folks here can point you in a direction to local a fitter close to you. Just let them know a city that you are near.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Had a club reshafted at a DSG and the grip has spun completely backwards. During a recent fitting the guy tested it said the swing weight was c8 (very infrequently done according to the fitter). Also couldnt find the shaft stiffness because it would oscillate on the machine (another very infrequent occurence). Unless someone has firsthand knowledge of that fitter being good I would spend my money elsewhere. As for club length I'm 6'2 but because I have long arms I am a standard shaft length, so like everyone is saying it can vary.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

This. 
Fitting is one area where local knowledge is paramount. There are MGS forum members all over the US (and scattered around the world). Tell us where you are and we can recommend someone. 
I live near Lewisburg, PA. About 50 miles north of Harrisburg. After some of these responses and the general stigma around big box store fittings, I'm more than likely gonna go to my local course and be fitted by the pro there, but I'd be more than open to any suggestions on any proven, reputable fitters around me.

I went to Dick's and actually bought my 3 wood there, but the kid running the golf area was a local FSU student who just liked to play golf.  Beyond him setting up the launch monitor for me I didn't ask him for any advice, help or otherwise.

Once Dick's fired all of their on site PGA Tour pros due to budget issues, I'll just let you do your own due diligence in how to respond to that bit of information.  I'm honestly surprised they still maintain a golf section in their store, because once you cut out the knowledge base of your operation you are no better than Walmart with a launch monitor IMHO.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

https://www.sittlergolf.com/

This could be worth the drive:  indoor and outdoor fitting, golf industry recognition, and all golf services offered (swing, club-fitting, practice, repair, and trade-in).

“Think well of all, be patient with all, and try to find the good in all.”-- Muhammad Ali

⛳ WITB 2024 Edition

• Woods: :cobra-small: LTDx [10.5*, :kbs: TD LE 60; :cobra-small: RadSpeed Tour [17.5*], :kbs: TD Gloss 70;
  • Hybrid: :cobra-small: King Tec 2019 [21*], :kbs: TD LE 60; :mizuno-small: Pro Fli Hi [4ui], :aerotech: Steelfiber HLS880;
  • Irons & Wedges: :KZG: CB-1 [5i - 9i], NovaTech BTR Lite; Wedges: S23, 610;
  • Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville One, One Step, Max;
  • Ball: :bridgestone-small: XS [22];
  • Notables: Best Grips MicroPerf; -Vessel Tour stand bag; Pro LX+ with H4; 3.5+ with Alphard Club Booster V2

10 minutes ago, Middler said:

It’s not height or arm length that determines club length, it’s wrist-to-floor measurement (combination of both).

As noted above, we can’t provide a meaningful reply with the info given in the OP.

You could get a good fitting at a Dick’s (a little better at Golf Galaxy), but odds are against it. You could get a bad fitting at an expensive dedicated fitter, but the odds are against it. By the time you know enough to know good from bad yourself, you can fit yourself (except you probably wouldn’t have the tools). So getting a referral from someone here, or close to you is the best first step, but still not an absolute guarantee.

The number of fitters that do wrist to floor measurements including the really good one is extremely low, other than the pin fitting app their reps and fitters at hq don’t even use that.

the good fitters look at how a golfer sets up, their swing, ball flight, face contact and maybe even a lie board but that use is becoming rare and a lot use a sharpie line on the Val and see how it marks the clubface to set lie. Many prefer to adjust lie before length.

@Golfspy_CG2 who is pretty tall was just for at TPI and had a change in the length of his clubs and I’m 99% sure they didn’t measure his wrist to floor. Iirc he went from 1” over to standard

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Just asking the question tells us everything we need to know. 

Let’s say the employee has the skill and knowledge to fit you, DSG and other big box stores lack the resources to offer a complete and proper service. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

42 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Just asking the question tells us everything we need to know. 

Let’s say the employee has the skill and knowledge to fit you, DSG and other big box stores lack the resources to offer a complete and proper service. 

Right on the nose as always Steve.

So, as I'm sure some of you know I worked for Dick's in Golf while I was going through Law School as a way to make some cash while I was going into substantial debt and as I think I explain in another thread for time gone by, Dick's works on a tier system as to how they staff and supply stores. There are 4 tiers in the system based on sales and market overlap with other stores in your district. Obviously the higher tier you are, the more and different clubs and resources you get.

Now I still know a lot of the guys in the CNY area who work at our Dick's and our one Golf Galaxy and some of them really know their stuff and have a ton of good practical experience as fitters, but at our yearly fitting classes, reviews and company launch events and the like, we knew that we were handcuffed a bit in what we had to offer. For example, my store was a tier 4, we carried primarily TM and Callaway, with our next largest club provider at the time was Top Flite, the store brand (I left before we got Tommy Armour), we'd sometimes have a touch of Cobra, Nike when they were around, and then my final year we'd get older generation Ping from other stores. So unless you were looking only at Callaway or TM, you were out of luck.

It sucks too because when people have these bad experiences it gives those within the company who know what they're doing a bad name because it allows people to paint with a wide brush. In all I guess my point is this, there are good and bad fitters everywhere and you shouldn't just hold where they work against them, they're doing the best with what they have.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

22 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

Right on the nose as always Steve.

So, as I'm sure some of you know I worked for Dick's in Golf while I was going through Law School as a way to make some cash while I was going into substantial debt and as I think I explain in another thread for time gone by, Dick's works on a tier system as to how they staff and supply stores. There are 4 tiers in the system based on sales and market overlap with other stores in your district. Obviously the higher tier you are, the more and different clubs and resources you get.

Now I still know a lot of the guys in the CNY area who work at our Dick's and our one Golf Galaxy and some of them really know their stuff and have a ton of good practical experience as fitters, but at our yearly fitting classes, reviews and company launch events and the like, we knew that we were handcuffed a bit in what we had to offer. For example, my store was a tier 4, we carried primarily TM and Callaway, with our next largest club provider at the time was Top Flite, the store brand (I left before we got Tommy Armour), we'd sometimes have a touch of Cobra, Nike when they were around, and then my final year we'd get older generation Ping from other stores. So unless you were looking only at Callaway or TM, you were out of luck.

It sucks too because when people have these bad experiences it gives those within the company who know what they're doing a bad name because it allows people to paint with a wide brush. In all I guess my point is this, there are good and bad fitters everywhere and you shouldn't just hold where they work against them, they're doing the best with what they have.

It was frustrating to work there knowing we were limited in how we could help the customer.  I didn’t know you did as well.  I spent two years at the DSG in the Dewitt Shoppingtown mall Sophomore and Jr years at LeMoyne. 

Like you said, good people working but lacking tools to thrive and survive. 

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

9 minutes ago, bens197 said:

It was frustrating to work there knowing we were limited in how we could help the customer.  I didn’t know you did as well.  I spent two years at the DSG in the Dewitt Shoppingtown mall Sophomore and Jr years at LeMoyne. 

Like you said, good people working but lacking tools to thrive and survive. 

Shoppingtown as well, Were you there with Alan and Lowell?

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

SIK Golf Flo-C

Just now, Berg Ryman said:

Shoppingtown as well, Were you there with Alan and Lowell?

Hoagie was the PGA pro at the time. This was almost 19 years ago. God, I’m old. 

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

1 minute ago, bens197 said:

Hoagie was the PGA pro at the time. This was almost 19 years ago. God, I’m old. 

Gotcha, he must have left and was replaced by Alan Savage who road it out until the culling of Pros before landing back on his feet at Turning Stone. The passage of time does terrible things to us all.

SIK Golf Flo-C

2 hours ago, Middler said:

I had a driver fitting at a PGA Superstore, by an older gentleman who told me he'd been fitting players for 35 years. After about a half hour on a launch monitor with several heads, he recommended a stock Rogue 10.5° with a stock shaft. Somehow I think I got what I paid for in fitting quality...

I'm not sure getting a stock /stock recommendation implies anything about the fitting. Bell curves are bell curved for a reason, if that was the combination getting the best numbers for you it would be hard to argue with. 

I know all the golf companies use a stock shaft that they think will work for the most people. They offer alternate options, but the stock shaft should be the most recommended. I know when I went in for a fitting on the mizuno ST180 I really wanted to hit the alternative shafts.. But after 2 hours and countless combinations, the stock tensei blue and the 10.5 head was the best fit for me. I didn't discount the fitting, just learned that I wasn't the unique star fish I had hoped I was. 😅

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

On 1/9/2020 at 1:56 PM, Thin2win said:

I'm not sure getting a stock /stock recommendation implies anything about the fitting. Bell curves are bell curved for a reason, if that was the combination getting the best numbers for you it would be hard to argue with. 

I know all the golf companies use a stock shaft that they think will work for the most people. They offer alternate options, but the stock shaft should be the most recommended. I know when I went in for a fitting on the mizuno ST180 I really wanted to hit the alternative shafts.. But after 2 hours and countless combinations, the stock tensei blue and the 10.5 head was the best fit for me. I didn't discount the fitting, just learned that I wasn't the unique star fish I had hoped I was. 😅

Yes. This is good information for a lot of people. Just because they offer upgraded shafts doesn’t mean you need it, and it also doesn’t mean that the guy doing the fitting is bad either. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Going back to the original post - it seems that the OP does understand the basics of fitting as he mentions the correct relationship between length and lie. Reading between the lines a bit, it also seems that the fitters at DSG understand that relationship as well. The assumption is that they potentially did a lie board test and at least a static measurement to come to the conclusion that a flatter lie was needed. The OP did not mention what methods were used to conclude 3 degrees flat.

Not only do we not have complete info. as to why DSG recommended only 3 degrees flat rather than some combination of length and lie adjustment, but other factors may be involved. DSG may have been thinking about cost to the customer. To shorten ,the grips either need  to be saved (5.99$ ea) or new ones bought and installed (about 10$ per club). Bending alone is 4.99$ per or 32$ for eight. Do the math and the combo adjustment gets expensive. Bending alone is the cost effective option and maybe part of the DSG thinking took this into account.

So just for discussion,  let's assume that the dynamic fitting (and static fitting) revealed 3 degrees flat and standard length.  Then the fitter is doing their job. Let's say it showed 1/2 inch short implying that 2 degrees flat would now work. OK - fine. But other factors like age of the clubs, skill of the golfer, frequency of play, etc. may have made the combo adjustment unnecessary / not preferred by the customer (due to cost). If 3 degrees flat alone works, then DSG can certainly be trusted to make such a recommendation and be reluctant to charge the customer for further adjustments.

In conclusion, we do not have enough info to make a clear determination as to whether the DSG fitters can be "trusted". The OP asked a loaded question and got the usual loaded answers regarding what is commonly perceived to be a big box experience. It would be fair and instructive to get the fitting sheet (hopefully it exists) and describe in detail the conversation between DSG and your friend. If the fitting sheet exists, take a pic and post it, and then all the experts on this site can make a recommendation as to whether the DSG fitter did their job and knows their stuff (can be trusted). 

Sometimes customers just want what they want, even when it is not in their best interest. Either way, it would be great to have more info about the entire situation to make a more accurate determination.

Thanks for the suggestions and advice everyone. I think I'll be going to the place[mention=66747]whtfsh[/mention] referred me to. 2 hour drive but I'll feel good knowing I got a proper, professional fitting.

Be sure to check back and let us know how it goes!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

I look forward to hearing your fitting experience.

“Think well of all, be patient with all, and try to find the good in all.”-- Muhammad Ali

⛳ WITB 2024 Edition

• Woods: :cobra-small: LTDx [10.5*, :kbs: TD LE 60; :cobra-small: RadSpeed Tour [17.5*], :kbs: TD Gloss 70;
  • Hybrid: :cobra-small: King Tec 2019 [21*], :kbs: TD LE 60; :mizuno-small: Pro Fli Hi [4ui], :aerotech: Steelfiber HLS880;
  • Irons & Wedges: :KZG: CB-1 [5i - 9i], NovaTech BTR Lite; Wedges: S23, 610;
  • Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville One, One Step, Max;
  • Ball: :bridgestone-small: XS [22];
  • Notables: Best Grips MicroPerf; -Vessel Tour stand bag; Pro LX+ with H4; 3.5+ with Alphard Club Booster V2

• 3 weeks later...

Most of these guys are not “fitters”,  simply because they’ve never gone to a qualified school, such as GolfWorks, to learn the basics. Even if some have attended a school such as this, they only get basic instruction. “Professional fitters” have done this as well as passed stringent written and practical examinations given by professional golf clubmaker associations such as the old PCS, the Clubmakers’ Guild, or others. In addition, these professional fitters are certified and have years of practical experience. Do yourself a favor and search out qualified, certified  clubfitters and look for testimonials from former clients. You won’t regret it.

2 hours ago, forged12 said:

Most of these guys are not “fitters”,  simply because they’ve never gone to a qualified school, such as GolfWorks, to learn the basics. Even if some have attended a school such as this, they only get basic instruction. “Professional fitters” have done this as well as passed stringent written and practical examinations given by professional golf clubmaker associations such as the old PCS, the Clubmakers’ Guild, or others. In addition, these professional fitters are certified and have years of practical experience. Do yourself a favor and search out qualified, certified  clubfitters and look for testimonials from former clients. You won’t regret it.

The fitter I go to and trust hasn’t been to any of those classes or training. He learned on the job under another good fitter and thru asking questions from the sales reps who also have some good skills. Training/certs in any job don’t guarantee anything.

two of the best fittings I’ve had come from young guys who learned or were learning on the job. 

On 1/4/2020 at 1:28 PM, HardcoreLooper said:

This. 

Who would the community recommend in Central Arkansas?  Arkansas Golf Headquarters in Conway, Arkansas has some of the best ratings that I've seen online, but their website doesn't even tell what brands they carry, just rates and facilities.  

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

• 2 weeks later...