TheBearddBastrd

Should I trust my local DSG fitter?

Our Sponsors

A friend of mine recently went to get his irons fitted at our local Dick's Sporting Goods. He's 5' 5" and they didn't want to shorten the shafts but wanted to change the lie 3° (he didn't specify, but I'm assuming 3° flat). I know next to nothing about fitting, but I would think that if they would shorten the shaft some, they wouldn't have to make such an extreme lie angle adjustment. Am I wrong or is my local fitter incompetent? I bought a driver and hybrid from them and honestly the way I'm hitting them both, I feel I don't need adjustments but I would like a second opinion and would rather not waste my time getting that opinion from someone that probably knows about as much as I do.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Anyone fitting for length and/or lie by static measurement is not a quality fitter and someone I'd steer clear of. 

• Like 3

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 Plus Ping 9* VA Nemesys 65FIVE
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* VA Vylyn 75FIVE
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 49 F - 54 S - 59 D
:mizuno-small: M Craft II
:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

SuperSpeed Forum Tester
Initial Driver Speed on Provided Monitor: 109 MPH

The general opinion is to not get fit at big box stores. That said they may employ a quality fitter. What training or experience does the fitter have?

There are lots of factors involved in a fitting and without knowing more it is impossible for us to determine if the clubs should be shorter.

• Like 3

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Odds are not great that this person is a quality fitter but it is possible.  Generally speaking, if someone can charge for it and make a living they probably know what they are doing but as always, results speak volumes.   

When it comes to length, it is more about arm length than it is height.  I'm 5'10" and testing shows that a +1/2" club performs best.  I've fit many players at 6'5" or taller and many have had tremendously long arms where no additional length was needed.  Some have been +1 to 1-1/2" longer.  It is best not to make generalities.  

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, edteergolf said:

Odds are not great that this person is a quality fitter but it is possible.  Generally speaking, if someone can charge for it and make a living they probably know what they are doing but as always, results speak volumes.   

When it comes to length, it is more about arm length than it is height.  I'm 5'10" and testing shows that a +1/2" club performs best.  I've fit many players at 6'5" or taller and many have had tremendously long arms where no additional length was needed.  Some have been +1 to 1-1/2" longer.  It is best not to make generalities.  

Agreed. People tend to forget that wingspan/arm length increases as height increases.

I'm 5'11". My new irons are "standard" (37" 7-iron), and they feel a lot better than my previous clubs that were a half inch longer across the set. My arms are slightly longer than average for my height (I wear a 35" sleeve in dress shirts, so not super long, but about an inch over what I would consider average), and the standard length is very comfortable for me.

I do play my 52/56/60 wedges just slightly longer than some, and at identical length (35.5"), however.

• Like 1

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 9.8 (Last Updated July 25, 2020)

2020 MGS #COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE PARTICIPANT #TEAMSCALVESLIKEPHIL - Check out all of the action over here!

#CC4 WITB (Cobra x Vessel SpeedZone Stand Bag)

Driver: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme (9°, set to Draw), 44.5", Aldila Rogue Silver 60 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
3W: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone (15°), -3/4" SHORT, Aldila Rogue Silver 70 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
17° Hybrid: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, -1/2" SHORT, UST Recoil 480 ESX F4, Lamkin Sonar Connect
4-GW: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, 2° Flat, -1/2" SHORT, KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
54°, 58°: :cobra-small: Cobra KING MIM Black, 3° Flat, -1/2" SHORT (54°), -1/4" SHORT (58°), KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
Putter: :taylormade-small: TaylorMade Spider X, 33", Golf Pride Tour Only Red Star
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow / :srixon-small: Srixon Z-Star XV Tour Yellow
Tracked By: :Arccos: Cobra Connect powered by Arccos

1 minute ago, edingc said:

Agreed. People tend to forget that wingspan/arm length increases as height increases.

I'm 5'11". My new irons are "standard" (37" 7-iron), and they feel a lot better than my previous clubs that were a half inch longer across the set. My arms are slightly longer than average for my height (I wear a 35" sleeve in dress shirts, so not super long, but about an inch over what I would consider average), and the standard length is very comfortable for me.

I do play my 52/56/60 wedges just slightly longer than some, and at identical length (35.5"), however.

The fit does not have to go throughout the bag.  My irons are +1/2", hybrid standard, 3W -1/2" and driver is 44-1/2".  It should be fairly specific and for a specific reason.  

• Like 3

I would trust anyone at dsg. Most of the people I’ve seen there know nothing more than some general info they could find in the internet.

Golf Galaxy sometimes is only slightly better. 

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

On 12/3/2019 at 10:24 AM, cnosil said:

The general opinion is to not get fit at big box stores. That said they may employ a quality fitter. What training or experience does the fitter have?

There are lots of factors involved in a fitting and without knowing more it is impossible for us to determine if the clubs should be shorter.

This. 

Fitting is one area where local knowledge is paramount. There are MGS forum members all over the US (and scattered around the world). Tell us where you are and we can recommend someone. 

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
2 Hybrid - Titleist 585 (17*) - Titleist 4175 ( R )
4i - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Forest Green)
Ball -  :Snell: MTB-X
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I think I recognize your user from the Beard Board. Are you on there as well? 
mad other said, DSG May or may not have a quality fitter. As hardcorelooper mentioned. Many folks here can point you in a direction to local a fitter close to you. Just let them know a city that you are near.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Had a club reshafted at a DSG and the grip has spun completely backwards. During a recent fitting the guy tested it said the swing weight was c8 (very infrequently done according to the fitter). Also couldnt find the shaft stiffness because it would oscillate on the machine (another very infrequent occurence). Unless someone has firsthand knowledge of that fitter being good I would spend my money elsewhere. As for club length I'm 6'2 but because I have long arms I am a standard shaft length, so like everyone is saying it can vary.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

This. 
Fitting is one area where local knowledge is paramount. There are MGS forum members all over the US (and scattered around the world). Tell us where you are and we can recommend someone. 
I live near Lewisburg, PA. About 50 miles north of Harrisburg. After some of these responses and the general stigma around big box store fittings, I'm more than likely gonna go to my local course and be fitted by the pro there, but I'd be more than open to any suggestions on any proven, reputable fitters around me.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I went to Dick's and actually bought my 3 wood there, but the kid running the golf area was a local FSU student who just liked to play golf.  Beyond him setting up the launch monitor for me I didn't ask him for any advice, help or otherwise.

Once Dick's fired all of their on site PGA Tour pros due to budget issues, I'll just let you do your own due diligence in how to respond to that bit of information.  I'm honestly surprised they still maintain a golf section in their store, because once you cut out the knowledge base of your operation you are no better than Walmart with a launch monitor IMHO.

• Like 1

• :ping-small: G400 Driver, 3 Fairway
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Irons - 18° & 21°
  • :Hogan: Ft. Worth Hi Utility Iron - 24°
  • :callaway-small: Forged Razr X 6-A Wedge irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 54° & 58°
  • :ping-small: Sigma2 Tyne Putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:NX7 Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

https://www.sittlergolf.com/

This could be worth the drive:  indoor and outdoor fitting, golf industry recognition, and all golf services offered (swing, club-fitting, practice, repair, and trade-in).

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Middler said:

It’s not height or arm length that determines club length, it’s wrist-to-floor measurement (combination of both).

As noted above, we can’t provide a meaningful reply with the info given in the OP.

You could get a good fitting at a Dick’s (a little better at Golf Galaxy), but odds are against it. You could get a bad fitting at an expensive dedicated fitter, but the odds are against it. By the time you know enough to know good from bad yourself, you can fit yourself (except you probably wouldn’t have the tools). So getting a referral from someone here, or close to you is the best first step, but still not an absolute guarantee.

The number of fitters that do wrist to floor measurements including the really good one is extremely low, other than the pin fitting app their reps and fitters at hq don’t even use that.

the good fitters look at how a golfer sets up, their swing, ball flight, face contact and maybe even a lie board but that use is becoming rare and a lot use a sharpie line on the Val and see how it marks the clubface to set lie. Many prefer to adjust lie before length.

@Golfspy_CG2 who is pretty tall was just for at TPI and had a change in the length of his clubs and I’m 99% sure they didn’t measure his wrist to floor. Iirc he went from 1” over to standard

• Like 2

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Just asking the question tells us everything we need to know. 

Let’s say the employee has the skill and knowledge to fit you, DSG and other big box stores lack the resources to offer a complete and proper service. 

• Like 1

• PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • PING G 3W HZRDUS Yellow 75g 6.0
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Maltby TS1 4-G Nippon Modus3 120S
  • Maltby TSW 52 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Maltby TSW 58 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide 2020
  • Oncore Elixr

Currently testing the Ben Hogan PTx Combo irons https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/38486-2020-official-member-review-ben-hogan-icon-ptx-proicon-combo-irons/

Rochester, NY

4.3 Index

42 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Just asking the question tells us everything we need to know. 

Let’s say the employee has the skill and knowledge to fit you, DSG and other big box stores lack the resources to offer a complete and proper service. 

Right on the nose as always Steve.

So, as I'm sure some of you know I worked for Dick's in Golf while I was going through Law School as a way to make some cash while I was going into substantial debt and as I think I explain in another thread for time gone by, Dick's works on a tier system as to how they staff and supply stores. There are 4 tiers in the system based on sales and market overlap with other stores in your district. Obviously the higher tier you are, the more and different clubs and resources you get.

Now I still know a lot of the guys in the CNY area who work at our Dick's and our one Golf Galaxy and some of them really know their stuff and have a ton of good practical experience as fitters, but at our yearly fitting classes, reviews and company launch events and the like, we knew that we were handcuffed a bit in what we had to offer. For example, my store was a tier 4, we carried primarily TM and Callaway, with our next largest club provider at the time was Top Flite, the store brand (I left before we got Tommy Armour), we'd sometimes have a touch of Cobra, Nike when they were around, and then my final year we'd get older generation Ping from other stores. So unless you were looking only at Callaway or TM, you were out of luck.

It sucks too because when people have these bad experiences it gives those within the company who know what they're doing a bad name because it allows people to paint with a wide brush. In all I guess my point is this, there are good and bad fitters everywhere and you shouldn't just hold where they work against them, they're doing the best with what they have.

• Like 4

:mizuno-small: ST180, 10.5, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 15*, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:cobra-small: F9 Speedback, 18.5, Hzrdus Yellow 70-S

:ping-small: G710, 4-UW, Blue Dot, Nippon Modus 105-S

:honma: TW-W4, 56*, Nippon Modus 125

:mizuno-small: T20, 61*, Nippon Modus 125

:nickent-small: Pipe

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2019)

:CaddyTek: Caddylite 15.3 V1

Go Orange!

22 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

Right on the nose as always Steve.

So, as I'm sure some of you know I worked for Dick's in Golf while I was going through Law School as a way to make some cash while I was going into substantial debt and as I think I explain in another thread for time gone by, Dick's works on a tier system as to how they staff and supply stores. There are 4 tiers in the system based on sales and market overlap with other stores in your district. Obviously the higher tier you are, the more and different clubs and resources you get.

Now I still know a lot of the guys in the CNY area who work at our Dick's and our one Golf Galaxy and some of them really know their stuff and have a ton of good practical experience as fitters, but at our yearly fitting classes, reviews and company launch events and the like, we knew that we were handcuffed a bit in what we had to offer. For example, my store was a tier 4, we carried primarily TM and Callaway, with our next largest club provider at the time was Top Flite, the store brand (I left before we got Tommy Armour), we'd sometimes have a touch of Cobra, Nike when they were around, and then my final year we'd get older generation Ping from other stores. So unless you were looking only at Callaway or TM, you were out of luck.

It sucks too because when people have these bad experiences it gives those within the company who know what they're doing a bad name because it allows people to paint with a wide brush. In all I guess my point is this, there are good and bad fitters everywhere and you shouldn't just hold where they work against them, they're doing the best with what they have.

It was frustrating to work there knowing we were limited in how we could help the customer.  I didn’t know you did as well.  I spent two years at the DSG in the Dewitt Shoppingtown mall Sophomore and Jr years at LeMoyne. 

Like you said, good people working but lacking tools to thrive and survive. 

• Like 1

• Oncore Elixr

Currently testing the Ben Hogan PTx Combo irons https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/38486-2020-official-member-review-ben-hogan-icon-ptx-proicon-combo-irons/

Rochester, NY

4.3 Index

9 minutes ago, bens197 said:

It was frustrating to work there knowing we were limited in how we could help the customer.  I didn’t know you did as well.  I spent two years at the DSG in the Dewitt Shoppingtown mall Sophomore and Jr years at LeMoyne. 

Like you said, good people working but lacking tools to thrive and survive. 

Shoppingtown as well, Were you there with Alan and Lowell?

• Like 1

Go Orange!

Just now, Berg Ryman said:

Shoppingtown as well, Were you there with Alan and Lowell?

Hoagie was the PGA pro at the time. This was almost 19 years ago. God, I’m old. 

• Haha 1

• Oncore Elixr

Rochester, NY

4.3 Index

1 minute ago, bens197 said:

Hoagie was the PGA pro at the time. This was almost 19 years ago. God, I’m old. 

Gotcha, he must have left and was replaced by Alan Savage who road it out until the culling of Pros before landing back on his feet at Turning Stone. The passage of time does terrible things to us all.

• Like 1

Go Orange!