TheBearddBastrd

Should I trust my local DSG fitter?

Our Sponsors

2 hours ago, Middler said:

I had a driver fitting at a PGA Superstore, by an older gentleman who told me he'd been fitting players for 35 years. After about a half hour on a launch monitor with several heads, he recommended a stock Rogue 10.5° with a stock shaft. Somehow I think I got what I paid for in fitting quality...

I'm not sure getting a stock /stock recommendation implies anything about the fitting. Bell curves are bell curved for a reason, if that was the combination getting the best numbers for you it would be hard to argue with. 

I know all the golf companies use a stock shaft that they think will work for the most people. They offer alternate options, but the stock shaft should be the most recommended. I know when I went in for a fitting on the mizuno ST180 I really wanted to hit the alternative shafts.. But after 2 hours and countless combinations, the stock tensei blue and the 10.5 head was the best fit for me. I didn't discount the fitting, just learned that I wasn't the unique star fish I had hoped I was. 😅

• Like 1

On 1/9/2020 at 1:56 PM, Thin2win said:

I'm not sure getting a stock /stock recommendation implies anything about the fitting. Bell curves are bell curved for a reason, if that was the combination getting the best numbers for you it would be hard to argue with. 

I know all the golf companies use a stock shaft that they think will work for the most people. They offer alternate options, but the stock shaft should be the most recommended. I know when I went in for a fitting on the mizuno ST180 I really wanted to hit the alternative shafts.. But after 2 hours and countless combinations, the stock tensei blue and the 10.5 head was the best fit for me. I didn't discount the fitting, just learned that I wasn't the unique star fish I had hoped I was. 😅

Yes. This is good information for a lot of people. Just because they offer upgraded shafts doesn’t mean you need it, and it also doesn’t mean that the guy doing the fitting is bad either. 

Going back to the original post - it seems that the OP does understand the basics of fitting as he mentions the correct relationship between length and lie. Reading between the lines a bit, it also seems that the fitters at DSG understand that relationship as well. The assumption is that they potentially did a lie board test and at least a static measurement to come to the conclusion that a flatter lie was needed. The OP did not mention what methods were used to conclude 3 degrees flat.

Not only do we not have complete info. as to why DSG recommended only 3 degrees flat rather than some combination of length and lie adjustment, but other factors may be involved. DSG may have been thinking about cost to the customer. To shorten ,the grips either need  to be saved (5.99$ ea) or new ones bought and installed (about 10$ per club). Bending alone is 4.99$ per or 32$ for eight. Do the math and the combo adjustment gets expensive. Bending alone is the cost effective option and maybe part of the DSG thinking took this into account.

So just for discussion,  let's assume that the dynamic fitting (and static fitting) revealed 3 degrees flat and standard length.  Then the fitter is doing their job. Let's say it showed 1/2 inch short implying that 2 degrees flat would now work. OK - fine. But other factors like age of the clubs, skill of the golfer, frequency of play, etc. may have made the combo adjustment unnecessary / not preferred by the customer (due to cost). If 3 degrees flat alone works, then DSG can certainly be trusted to make such a recommendation and be reluctant to charge the customer for further adjustments.

In conclusion, we do not have enough info to make a clear determination as to whether the DSG fitters can be "trusted". The OP asked a loaded question and got the usual loaded answers regarding what is commonly perceived to be a big box experience. It would be fair and instructive to get the fitting sheet (hopefully it exists) and describe in detail the conversation between DSG and your friend. If the fitting sheet exists, take a pic and post it, and then all the experts on this site can make a recommendation as to whether the DSG fitter did their job and knows their stuff (can be trusted). 

Sometimes customers just want what they want, even when it is not in their best interest. Either way, it would be great to have more info about the entire situation to make a more accurate determination.

Thanks for the suggestions and advice everyone. I think I'll be going to the place@whtfsh referred me to. 2 hour drive but I'll feel good knowing I got a proper, professional fitting.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Thanks for the suggestions and advice everyone. I think I'll be going to the place[mention=66747]whtfsh[/mention] referred me to. 2 hour drive but I'll feel good knowing I got a proper, professional fitting.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Be sure to check back and let us know how it goes!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I look forward to hearing your fitting experience.

Most of these guys are not “fitters”,  simply because they’ve never gone to a qualified school, such as GolfWorks, to learn the basics. Even if some have attended a school such as this, they only get basic instruction. “Professional fitters” have done this as well as passed stringent written and practical examinations given by professional golf clubmaker associations such as the old PCS, the Clubmakers’ Guild, or others. In addition, these professional fitters are certified and have years of practical experience. Do yourself a favor and search out qualified, certified  clubfitters and look for testimonials from former clients. You won’t regret it.

2 hours ago, forged12 said:

Most of these guys are not “fitters”,  simply because they’ve never gone to a qualified school, such as GolfWorks, to learn the basics. Even if some have attended a school such as this, they only get basic instruction. “Professional fitters” have done this as well as passed stringent written and practical examinations given by professional golf clubmaker associations such as the old PCS, the Clubmakers’ Guild, or others. In addition, these professional fitters are certified and have years of practical experience. Do yourself a favor and search out qualified, certified  clubfitters and look for testimonials from former clients. You won’t regret it.

The fitter I go to and trust hasn’t been to any of those classes or training. He learned on the job under another good fitter and thru asking questions from the sales reps who also have some good skills. Training/certs in any job don’t guarantee anything.

two of the best fittings I’ve had come from young guys who learned or were learning on the job. 

• Like 1

On 1/4/2020 at 1:28 PM, HardcoreLooper said:

This. 

Fitting is one area where local knowledge is paramount. There are MGS forum members all over the US (and scattered around the world). Tell us where you are and we can recommend someone. 

Who would the community recommend in Central Arkansas?  Arkansas Golf Headquarters in Conway, Arkansas has some of the best ratings that I've seen online, but their website doesn't even tell what brands they carry, just rates and facilities.  

Where do you find a quality club fitter?  I”m 6’-4” and was fitted at Golftec and they fit me with standard length clubs, my iron game is gone down hill since I got these clubs.

Where do you find a quality club fitter?  I”m 6’-4” and was fitted at Golftec and they fit me with standard length clubs, my iron game is gone down hill since I got these clubs.

Height is only one factor in fitting. @golfspy_cg2, how tall are you and what are your soecs?

What questions did you ask before and during the fitting and what were your expectations? What does downhill performance mean and have you discussed the performance with them on the course vs what was seen in the fitting.

8 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Height is only one factor in fitting. @golfspy_cg2, how tall are you and what are your soecs?

What questions did you ask before and during the fitting and what were your expectations? What does downhill performance mean and have you discussed the performance with them on the course vs what was seen in the fitting.

I'm 6'4' and "normal" length arms for my height, 36" inch dress shirt sleeves.  At TPI in the fall I was fit into standard length T300, and we literally tried everything from 1/2 over to 1/4 inch short.  Glenn said, it's not about your wrist to floor measurement standing straight up,  as nobody hits a shot in that position.   It's about your position at impact.   So far with 9 holes in, Im very happy with how the fit and feel. 

• Like 3