TESTERS WANTED! ×

2020 Official Member Review: Bridgestone White Box Ball

GolfSpy MPR

6 hours ago, daviddvm said:

You must be lethal on straight puts inside 12 feet !  Great video. 

Yeah...  12 feet, 3 feet, and 2 inches...  they don't call him Mr. 82 for nothing!  

To be fair (to be fair, to be fair...  any Letterkenny fans?)...  I haven't played with him since he got the new putter.  I just like busting his balls.  

• Driver:  Cobra LTDx Max
  • 5 wood, 7 wood:  Cobra Speedzone
  • 5 hybrid: Callaway Forged CB 24*
  • Irons: Sub 70 699 (6), 659MB Raw (7-PW)
  • Wedges: Sub70 286 50*, Edel 55*, 60*
  • Putter:  PXG Bat Attack

Hail Southern and no place else!!  

Got a solid 1.5 hours of short game practice today. It was freezing but I managed.

These were some 30 yard 2 hop checkers down wind! Love that big first hop I get with these on the finesse shots, the a grab on bounce two with very minimal roll out.

IMG_7165.JPG

These were from 40, same thing, a nice big first bounce then stop. I would expect a touch more roll out on an actual green, or perhaps some backspin. These were about 15 feet high 56° into the wind.

IMG_7166.JPG

Here we have some 50 yard shots, same deal, flighted down... took me a while to dial up the 50 yard shot, I ended up switching to the 52° because they started to get caught up in the wind with the 56°, but I could flight them nicely with the 52° as well. Dispersion in the picture is from the 56°, just not where I’d like it, but wind definitely had a factor.

IMG_7167.JPG

I also hit all sorts of touch shots around the green, flops, low crispy ones. I actually backed up a high spinner 20 yard shot. Haven’t had that shot in my bag for a good while, and this is with severely worn out wedges

On 2/12/2020 at 8:05 AM, Mr. 82 said:

This is one of many videos coming, when I finish my final review, but see if you can tell the difference in sound that the ball makes upon contact with the putter face.  I hit a Titleist ProV1 first, then the Bridgestone B RXS, then a Srixon Z Star, and then a Titleist AVX.  My apologies for the limited audio quality, as it's just the iphone speaker on the other end of the putting green on a tripod.  I will probably do the test outdoors on a real putting green, and place the camera behind me for better audio quality, and try the same test that way outdoors.

OK, timeout.  Except for the first putt, you never looked down the line on the next three... kind of like trying to figure out a David Copperfield illusion 🤔😉.  Nice practice putting green btw.

Yesterday I found a Bridgestone "Extra Soft" in my bag while grabbing a few balls for the round.  After losing an RXS into the lake on #3, I grabbed this one and completed the round with it.  To be totally honest, I did not notice any difference between these two balls (I'd played the RXS for several rounds).  Much like the Maxfli Tour and Tour X testing I did, I'm finding very subtle differences in the higher end balls. Perhaps this is more a reflection of my game or caliber of courses I play, but I'm still not convinced the use of tour level balls is lowering my scores.  

See the source image

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

On 2/12/2020 at 8:12 AM, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Gotta say - I am duly impressed with how well you guys can feel and hear the ball coming off the putter.  Other than range rocks I have a real hard time differentiating between various balls.

I hear ya... must be a 12 handicap thing.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

On 2/12/2020 at 5:12 AM, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Gotta say - I am duly impressed with how well you guys can feel and hear the ball coming off the putter.  Other than range rocks I have a real hard time differentiating between various balls.

Try it off of a milled putter if you have one. It's a lot easier to feel when you don't have an insert, like in @jlukes video using the ER2

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Got through an entire round yesterday with a single Tour BX ball and I'm still impressed with the durability of the cover. From all play I've had with these balls I'd say the cover survives the life of play longer than I can play them before I typically loose them. This ball has performed well overall, it has not "separated" itself away from other premium balls I usually play but it darned sure goes into rotation for me with never a single surprise.

I found out earlier today that I won a box of the Bridgestone Tour B RXS on Twitter from @PGAPappas.
I'm really excited to try these out after all the great reviews here, you all have been thorough and done a fantastic job reviewing, what is to me, one of the more exciting releases this year. Bridgestone did a remarkable job in the MGS ball test and I can't wait to see how they do.

Thank you all for putting in the time and dedication to do this review.

1 hour ago, sirchunksalot said:

I found out earlier today that I won a box of the Bridgestone Tour B RXS on Twitter from @PGAPappas.
I'm really excited to try these out after all the great reviews here, you all have been thorough and done a fantastic job reviewing, what is to me, one of the more exciting releases this year. Bridgestone did a remarkable job in the MGS ball test and I can't wait to see how they do.

Thank you all for putting in the time and dedication to do this review.

Don't forget to post your thoughts in this thread! I really wanted to like the B X but I don't think I have the MPH's for it. It's a whole different beast when you put it in the hands of someone who is like 115mph +

Don't forget to post your thoughts in this thread! I really wanted to like the B X but I don't think I have the MPH's for it. It's a whole different beast when you put it in the hands of someone who is like 115mph +
Thank you for the invite to share thoughts on the new Bridgestone's! I would be happy to share my thoughts on them and give an idea on how well they work out for me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

On 1/26/2020 at 4:57 PM, yungkory said:

Well, I have to come back and straighten this out.

I was going through my bag because I'm playing tomorrow morning and wanted to make sure I had 2020 Tour B X's in there to keep testing with. I was pulling balls out to inspect the ball I used on Friday and I was shocked when I realized it was the 2018 version 🤦‍♂️. I'm glad they changed the text/graphics on the ball or I wouldn't have confirmed it. So, scratch what I said on Friday about the spin around the green not being different -- it wasn't different because it was the same ball LOL!

So embarrassing. Almost as bad as the guy in the PuttOut review who wondered why he couldn't get the ball to stop in the micro target because he hadn't pushed out the "plug"

Enjoying catching up on all the work all you testers are putting in.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Thanks to @yungkory I was able to get my hands on some Tour B X's. After 2 rounds I can tell you it is long!! It doesn't spin as much as V1X but I didn't have any issues predicting what it was going to do. I will try to get some Skytrack #'s this week but initial evaluation is that it is a very good ball. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

I just posted my full review for this golf ball in the placeholder on the 1st page of this thread.  I am not really sure if I did it correctly, so someone please tell me if I am missing anything or need to do something else.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

59 minutes ago, Mr. 82 said:

I just posted my full review for this golf ball in the placeholder on the 1st page of this thread.  I am not really sure if I did it correctly, so someone please tell me if I am missing anything or need to do something else.

Great write up, thanks for the feedback.  I am looking at the RXS for 2020.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

Very nice review! Well done!

:cobra-small: LTDx Black 10.5º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 6F4
:cobra-small: LTDx 3W 15º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 7F4
:ping-small: G425 3H 19º | UST Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F4
:srixon-small: Z785 4-PW | UST Recoil 125 Proto F4
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 50
º Mid, 54º Mid, 60º Mid | UST Recoil Wedge Proto F4
:EVNROLL: ER5BV | BGT Stability Tour

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

My review is up!

• PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD-HD 7 TX
  • TaylorMade M6 15* - PX HZRDUS Green 80 TX
  • Titleist 913 Fd 18* - MCA KuroKage XMS 90 X /// OR /// Callaway XForged UT 20* - Aldila Rogue Black 105 TX
  • Srixon Z745 4-P - PX LZ 7.0
  • Vokey SM7 49F / 53F / 58K - DG TI S400
  • Odyssey Black #3 34”
  • Titleist AVX

I hope to get to the range or course this weekend so I can finish my evaluation and then my review.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

------------------------------

Driver:   Titleist TSr2 11 - UST Helium 5F3

Fairway: Titleist TS2 16.5 and 21 - Evenflow Riptide CB R

Irons: Titleist U505 4U and T300 5-GW - Aerotech SteelFiber i80 R

Wedges:  Cleveland Black RTX ZipCore 54 and Full Face 58 - True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge 

Putter:  Odyssey TriHot 5K TripleWide

Bag:  Titleist 15 Cart

My review is up as well

I have to say I am still skeptical about ball fitting based solely on driver numbers. 

Why? Because the firmest ball is going to the best ball for every golfer in terms of maximizing distance

The entire RX line still mystifies me.  I get it, it's a lower compression urethane ball.  But in reality, even someone with 95 MPH driver speed is going to see better numbers off the tee with the X or XS vs either of the RX balls.  So if the slower swing player wants a softer feel around the greens, but still wants to come close to maximum distance, then go with the XS.  

Yes, softer balls will give you similar (or sometimes even longer distances) off of scoring irons and wedges because spin is reduced and loft becomes a variable. (demonstrated clear as day in this new video from TXG)

And guess what.  The X spins more than the XS around the greens.  It is just physics.  The misnomer that better feeling balls spin more is pure marketing.  Feel does not = spin. 

1 hour ago, jlukes said:

I have to say I am still skeptical about ball fitting based solely on driver numbers. 

Why? Because the firmest ball is going to the best ball for every golfer in terms of maximizing distance

The entire RX line still mystifies me.  I get it, it's a lower compression urethane ball.  But in reality, even someone with 95 MPH driver speed is going to see better numbers off the tee with the X or XS vs either of the RX balls.  So if the slower swing player wants a softer feel around the greens, but still wants to come close to maximum distance, then go with the XS.  

Yes, softer balls will give you similar (or sometimes even longer distances) off of scoring irons and wedges because spin is reduced and loft becomes a variable. (demonstrated clear as day in this new video from TXG)

And guess what.  The X spins more than the XS around the greens.  It is just physics.  The misnomer that better feeling balls spin more is pure marketing.  Feel does not = spin. 

I agree. It was cool to see the data that V-Fit put out for me, but like I said in my review, I don't think Tour B X was the right fit for me. And I'm even more skeptical about the 105 SS threshold for X/RX and XS/RXS. All that said, I'm interested in trying the XS eventually because I feel like I fall in that tweener SS zone so that may be the ball that does it all for me!

1 hour ago, jlukes said:

I agree with your statement about fitting based on driver numbers. I think marketing golf balls based on speed with any club is just nonsense because the game isn't played at one speed. However, it does simplify things for the consumer while generally providing a decent match for those who don't know or just don't care about all the nuances of ball design and ball fitting.

For those guys with lower swing speeds, I think the differences in performance are just too small to override feel - even on spin. Yes there are certainly differences, but I don't see many jumping up in price for a ball that may only be marginally better and sacrifice on the feel they want - that just doesn't seem to align with the average recreational golfer.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

34 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

I agree with your statement about fitting based on driver numbers. I think marketing golf balls based on speed with any club is just nonsense because the game isn't played at one speed. However, it does simplify things for the consumer while generally providing a decent match for those who don't know or just don't care about all the nuances of ball design and ball fitting.

For those guys with lower swing speeds, I think the differences in performance are just too small to override feel - even on spin. Yes there are certainly differences, but I don't see many jumping up in price for a ball that may only be marginally better and sacrifice on the feel they want - that just doesn't seem to align with the average recreational golfer.

Agree with most of what you said. 

But feel is simply feel. Feel does not bring any performance characteristics with it. 

Softer compression drops spin. It's a fact. Are there some people that could use less spin on irons? Sure. But they're in the minority. 

And golf ball companies aren't marketing it that way. They're being deceitful. 

Look at Wilson's ball and marketing message from the PGA Show.. Soft is Long. Not soft is fast. It's long. Why is it long? Because you're dropping spin on wedges and irons. So yeah, you're gaining a club of distance with your sand wedge, but not because the ball is faster, it's because it spins less and softer compression does better at higher lofts. And when you hit off a few driver? It lags behind firmer balls, no matter what speed the player is swinging it. 

Golf ball fitting is a thing, but golf ball fitting based in swing speed is suspect at best. 

9 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Agree with most of what you said. 

But feel is simply feel. Feel does not bring any performance characteristics with it. 

Softer compression drops spin. It's a fact. Are there some people that could use less spin on irons? Sure. But they're in the minority. 

And golf ball companies aren't marketing it that way. They're being deceitful. 

Look at Wilson's ball and marketing message from the PGA Show.. Soft is Long. Not soft is fast. It's long. Why is it long? Because you're dropping spin on wedges and irons. So yeah, you're gaining a club of distance with your sand wedge, but not because the ball is faster, it's because it spins less and softer compression does better at higher lofts. 

Golf ball fitting is a thing, but golf ball fitting based in swing speed is suspect at best. 

I see what you’re saying and agree, but speaking in general terms about the slower speed player I just don’t think they see the differences out on the course where it ultimately matters and if they can save a few bucks they will.

For those swinging north of 100mph (especially those who are past 110mph) the performance difference shows up on the launch monitor and on the course. I think the number of golfers looking to absolutely maximize performance below those speeds are relatively few.

For competing juniors and women, I agree 100%, but pretty much anyone playing competitively in 2020 will do the research to find the ball that performs best for their game.

Like you said, it’s deceptive marketing, but how much of the marketing out there (especially in golf) is 100% honest? They’re making a product targeted to a specific group of golfers and promoting it in a way that will help their bottom line. Frustrating for those of us who care and dedicate time to learning more about equipment, but we’re in the minority. We don’t buy the same way other guys do and the OEMs know that.

30 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

I see what you’re saying and agree, but speaking in general terms about the slower speed player I just don’t think they see the differences out on the course where it ultimately matters and if they can save a few bucks they will.

For those swinging north of 100mph (especially those who are past 110mph) the performance difference shows up on the launch monitor and on the course. I think the number of golfers looking to absolutely maximize performance below those speeds are relatively few.

For competing juniors and women, I agree 100%, but pretty much anyone playing competitively in 2020 will do the research to find the ball that performs best for their game.

Like you said, it’s deceptive marketing, but how much of the marketing out there (especially in golf) is 100% honest? They’re making a product targeted to a specific group of golfers and promoting it in a way that will help their bottom line. Frustrating for those of us who care and dedicate time to learning more about equipment, but we’re in the minority. We don’t buy the same way other guys do and the OEMs know that.

Definitely agree with you in regards to price.  But then the question is why is the Bridgestone RX selling for the same price as the X and XS?  Just doesn't make sense.

3 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Definitely agree with you in regards to price.  But then the question is why is the Bridgestone RX selling for the same price as the X and XS?  Just doesn't make sense.

Fair point and to be honest I was thinking for some reason that the RX line was at least slightly cheaper. I agree, performance should be prioritized significantly more than feel, but golfers as a whole make very confusing decisions about what we buy, how we buy it, and why we buy it to the point that it often runs counter-intuitive to how we'd purchase almost anything else in life lol.

On 2/12/2020 at 10:14 PM, ga_pike said:

Yeah...  12 feet, 3 feet, and 2 inches...  they don't call him Mr. 82 for nothing!  

To be fair (to be fair, to be fair...  any Letterkenny fans?)...  I haven't played with him since he got the new putter.  I just like busting his balls.  

Why am I just now seeing this.  😔

Busting my balls?  Well, I can confirm I have two.  Not one, so no war hero, and I am no freak with more than 2 either; busted or not by you are anyone else for that matter.

On 2/16/2020 at 4:44 PM, fixyurdivot said:

OK, timeout.  Except for the first putt, you never looked down the line on the next three... kind of like trying to figure out a David Copperfield illusion 🤔😉.  Nice practice putting green btw.

Yesterday I found a Bridgestone "Extra Soft" in my bag while grabbing a few balls for the round.  After losing an RXS into the lake on #3, I grabbed this one and completed the round with it.  To be totally honest, I did not notice any difference between these two balls (I'd played the RXS for several rounds).  Much like the Maxfli Tour and Tour X testing I did, I'm finding very subtle differences in the higher end balls. Perhaps this is more a reflection of my game or caliber of courses I play, but I'm still not convinced the use of tour level balls is lowering my scores.  

See the source image

I guess I glossed over a few posts in this thread and missed this one as well.

I hadn't thought about looking down my line at the putt, but when it's the same putt you've hit close to a thousand times now, I guess I don't need to look.  8 feet, straight down the line.  I stuck a piece of masking tape down at the 8 foot mark, so I just put the ball there and fire.  Birdieball is not bad, and perhaps it's helping my consistency on the greens.  If nothing else, it's an escape when I can't get out of the house to a real putting green.

I like to work from the green backwards to get the feel for what ball works best.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023