GolfSpy MPR

2020 Official Member Review: Bridgestone White Box Ball

Our Sponsors

I had lunch with the Bridgestone rep last week.  He's a big fan of MGS reads everything on the home page, browses the forum and watches NPG.  

He was thrilled with the latest NPG episode, that it named Bridgestone as the No. 2 best thing they saw at the PGA Show.  

All that and the bastard didn't even have a sleeve of the RX for me to try 😂 

Actually he did have a couple sleeves, but I told him I didn't want to take them from someone else.  We'll be getting our shop supply in this week. 

• Like 5

:titelist-small: TS1 10.5 Fubuki 45g Shaft

:taylormade-small: SIM Max 5w 18* Ventus Black 

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7,9 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T300 KBS TGI 80 5 iron thorugh 46 W2

:vokey-small: SM7 50.08, 54.08 and 58.14 

:scotty-small:  Phantom 5.5   35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

15 hours ago, Trial&Error said:

So the general consensus here is it's better than the previous and or better than the "other" brand you played? It's the new sliced bread? It runs faster and jumps higher?

Not necessarily for me.  I've been testing the B RXS and it plays almost the same as the Srizon Z Star that I was previously playing, except that the RXS has wicked spin on wedge shot into the green.  Distance, launch angle and trajectory, feel, etc all line up with the Sirxon Z Star for me.  I've had multiple wedge shots spin of of the front of greens.  For me, I honestly don't want that type of spin on wedge approach shots, so I would not put this ball into play for me.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver, 3 Fairway
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Irons - 18° & 21°
  • :Hogan: Ft. Worth Hi Utility Iron - 24°
  • :callaway-small: Forged Razr X 6-A Wedge irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 54° & 58°
  • :ping-small: Sigma2 Tyne Putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:NX7 Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

19 hours ago, Trial&Error said:

So the general consensus here is it's better than the previous and or better than the "other" brand you played? It's the new sliced bread? It runs faster and jumps higher?

So far, so good, at least for me.  I'm working on my final review now because I've seen everything I need to see.  For me, the 2020 XS > 6th gen ZStar > 6th gen ZStar XV.  I couldn't keep the XV in the air with a driver and if I put any side spin on it, it was a big miss.  The ZStar slowed some of that down, but I still spun it around 1950 on average.  I could still make a horrible swing and lose it off line as well.  The XS, spins optimally for me which keeps it in the air longer, thus providing more carry as well as negating any side spin which keeps it in a straighter flight.  I notice a slightly higher ball flight and a significant distance increase with driver.  The playability with the rest of my clubs is near identical to the ZStar, maybe a half club longer.  Where my biggest adjustment had to come was the feeling off the putter.  It feels much softer and sounds more muted.  After a 1 18 hole round a couple 9 holers, I was good to go.  For my game, the 2020 B XS is the cat's meow and will be in my bag for a long time.  I'm planning to stock up Friday.

• Like 3

TaylorMade M5 9.0 - PX HZRDUS Green 60 6.5 TX
TaylorMade M6 15 - PX HZRDUS Green 80 6.5 TX
Callaway X Forged UT 19.5 - Aldila Rogue Black 105 TX
Srixon Z745 4-P - PX LZ 7.0
Titleist SM7 50.09F / 54.06 M / 58.14K
Odyssey Black Series #3 34”
Bridgestone B XS

Since it’s a rare rainy day here in San Diego, I decided to do some wet ball / wet wedge testing from 25 - 35 yards. I will be comparing 2 B XS against 2 TP5 balls.
IMG_0649.JPG

The wedge used is a fairly new Milled Grind 2 Raw 54 degree.

IMG_0647.JPGIMG_0648.JPG

As you can see they are pretty close in distance.

IMG_0650.JPGIMG_0651.JPG

From 35 yards.

The feel was soft from both balls and I could not tell the difference between the two

I also did some putting practice drills and once again found them to be equal in feel and roll.

So far I’m really liking this ball. I’m playing a round tomorrow so I will have another 18 holes of data and feedback to post my final thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 7

I had the opportunity yesterday to do some much needed short game work with the Tour B RXS prototype and in comparison to my regular ball 2019 ProV1x. 

Started out pitching and chipping  10 balls of each Brand from the same distance and hit with same club SW  to compare flight and spin and feel. 

Feel ProV1x  is softer and more muted coming off wedge with a slightly higher  trajectory  while the Tour B RXS is a little more clicky and slightly lower launching.

But both balls seem to check up similarly on shots from 20 to 40 yards. The Tour B RXS seemed to run out a little further on shots inside 20 yards.

Then on the putting green I used the same ten balls of each  Brand and tried to hit each putt the same distance by using the same stroke. I was not aiming at a hole I measured the distance from the fringe and tried to leave the ball right on the fringe each time using the same stroke each time. I alternated balls with each putt to try and deliver the same stroke to each ball. I used 3 different distances 30', 15', and 5'.

The feel of the two balls is distinctive. The ProV1x sounds more muted and feels like it is on the face of the putter longer. The Tour B RXS has a little click to it and seems to jump off the face. 

My results did show the Tour B RXS to be a little hotter with 8 or 9 balls ending up on the fringe or rough from each distance and the ProV1x only  4 or 5 ending up on fringe or rough from each distance.

As far as dispersion I could tell no difference, I can roll both balls straight at target. 

• Like 5

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4  The ONLY One Length Contestant!  Follow me on Twitter and Instagram

Waiting on my :cobra-small: SpeedZones

:cameron-small:  Special Select Newport 2  34" :scotty-small: Matador grip                                                                                697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

:bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS  Align XL    

:cobra-small:  Masters Staff Bag

:titelist-small: Staff Bag  Full set of :titelist-small: Clubs on sidelines for at least 8 weeks of COBRACONNECTCHALLENGE4 #MGSCOBRA2020

Tested :bridgestone-small: Prototype Balls       Tour B RXS                Tested:image.png.8e77a45b1fe8c9cfb7c2a61386f855a5.pngBlack Cat irons 5 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Graphite Regular +0.5" 1* upright                         

:Arccos:

18 minutes ago, FiveGs said:

Since it’s a rare rainy day here in San Diego, I decided to do some wet ball / wet wedge testing from 25 - 35 yards. I will be comparing 2 B XS against 2 TP5 balls.
IMG_0649.JPG

The wedge used is a fairly new Milled Grind 2 Raw 54 degree.

IMG_0647.JPGIMG_0648.JPG

As you can see they are pretty close in distance.

IMG_0650.JPGIMG_0651.JPG

From 35 yards.

The feel was soft from both balls and I could not tell the difference between the two

I also did some putting practice drills and once again found them to be equal in feel and roll.

So far I’m really liking this ball. I’m playing a round tomorrow so I will have another 18 holes of data and feedback to post my final thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Hmm... your post has more or less answered the question whether we're likely to see rain here in Yuma.  Raining in San Diego, wind here coming from the southwest, and dark clouds building 🙂.  On the upside, I'm out for today's round because of my back.  On the downside, I'm out for today's round because of my back.  I've been playing several Tour B RX I won for a CTP Par 3 and really like them.  They sure seem to wear very well and hit as long as any others I'm playing.  That's a really interesting groove pattern on your wedge.

• Like 3

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

Can any of you tell the difference between the three rows of balls below?

IMG_0135.thumb.jpg.b9a5ab392ba46b106daf15c5f4a4b810.jpg

Top row, balls without colored dots have not been hit yet.

IMG_0136.thumb.jpg.4b1e81a638b85930b45a2e9eee1c2cd1.jpg

Red dot balls have been played for 18 holes.

IMG_0137.thumb.jpg.2a19648fc90b2187482f60624fab52e4.jpg

Blue dot balls have been played for at least 36 holes, if not more.  A couple of these have at least 54 holes in them.

IMG_0138.thumb.jpg.a181e05b4ab45184f88726017ce9e06a.jpg

My point to all this is that if you are looking for a ball with fantastic durability, I think we have a winner here.

Side note to durability test.  I rarely hit trees, and from time to time find the cart path on the fly.  I should have taken a picture of the one ball I hit the cart path on repeatedly, but it got lost in the woods before I could photo it.  The above balls all lasted their stated length without trees or cart path abuse.  Keep this ball in play, such as I typically do (I rarely lose a ball in a typical round) and you can play it for quite awhile.  The blue ball on the bottom right lasted 54 holes, over three days, including two tournament rounds.

Edited by Mr. 82
removed duplicate pic
  • Like 6

I mention the durability because several of the courses here in Yuma have some rather rough ground off the fairways (even on the fairways in some places).  I like the way Titleist balls wear and these seem equally durable.

I found the ball on the left on the course yesterday.  I am assuming it's an older model of the B XS.  But I thought it makes an ideal comparison of the looks of the alignment side of the ball.

I'm not picky about alignment lines, but the bolder look on the older model might be more beneficial to some golfers.

IMG_0140.thumb.jpg.a214654c96c4d41b6a26c85ab6418af6.jpg

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

I mention the durability because several of the courses here in Yuma have some rather rough ground off the fairways (even on the fairways in some places).  I like the way Titleist balls wear and these seem equally durable.

Having played many a round with a Titleist ball, these Bridgestone are much more durable, at least in my experience.  I can typical get through 18 holes with a ProV1 before it needs to be retired.  Once you get into the 2nd round with a ProV1 it shows very visible signs of wear.  These Bridgestone can go 2 or 3 rounds without major visible wear under normal conditions.  I'm comparing a ball not hit into trees or onto cart paths, fwiw.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mr. 82 said:

Having played many a round with a Titleist ball, these Bridgestone are much more durable, at least in my experience.  I can typical get through 18 holes with a ProV1 before it needs to be retired.  Once you get into the 2nd round with a ProV1 it shows very visible signs of wear.  These Bridgestone can go 2 or 3 rounds without major visible wear under normal conditions.  I'm comparing a ball not hit into trees or onto cart paths, fwiw.

To the best of my knowledge, Titleist never engineered and manufactured vehicle tires... so Bridgestone should know a thing or two about a thing or two when it comes to durability 😆.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

53 minutes ago, Mr. 82 said:

Can any of you tell the difference between the three rows of balls below?

IMG_0135.thumb.jpg.b9a5ab392ba46b106daf15c5f4a4b810.jpg

Top row, balls without colored dots have not been hit yet.

IMG_0136.thumb.jpg.4b1e81a638b85930b45a2e9eee1c2cd1.jpg

Red dot balls have been played for 18 holes.

IMG_0137.thumb.jpg.2a19648fc90b2187482f60624fab52e4.jpg

Blue dot balls have been played for at least 36 holes, if not more.  A couple of these have at least 54 holes in them.

IMG_0138.thumb.jpg.a181e05b4ab45184f88726017ce9e06a.jpg

My point to all this is that if you are looking for a ball with fantastic durability, I think we have a winner here.

Side note to durability test.  I rarely hit trees, and from time to time find the cart path on the fly.  I should have taken a picture of the one ball I hit the cart path on repeatedly, but it got lost in the woods before I could photo it.  The above balls all lasted their stated length without trees or cart path abuse.  Keep this ball in play, such as I typically do (I rarely lose a ball in a typical round) and you can play it for quite awhile.  The blue ball on the bottom right lasted 54 holes, over three days, including two tournament rounds.

One dot, two dot, red dot, blue dot.  

I will hit them to the left, I will hit them to the right,

I will hit them all day, I will hit them at night,

I will hit them long, I will hit them short,

I will hit these balls to play my sport,

I do enjoy them, yes I do, 

I do enjoy them, how about you? 

Will you hit them in the rough, will you hit them in a tree?

Will you hit them in the fairway longer than me?  

I will hit them here, I will hit them there,

I will hit these golf balls everywhere...

I seem to like them Mr. 82,

But will I like them more than you? 

Edited by ga_pike
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 2

• Driver: Taylormade M1
  • 4 wood:  Cobra X-Speed
  • 3 Hybrid: PXG 0317xf
  • 5 Hybrid: PXG 0317xf
  • Irons 6 - PW: PXG 0211
  • GW 49* SW 53* LW 57*: Yri Uri
  • Putter:  Big Oak Havana

Hail Southern and no place else!!  

30 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

To the best of my knowledge, Titleist never engineered and manufactured vehicle tires... so Bridgestone should know a thing or two about a thing or two when it comes to durability 😆.

I wonder if anyone from the Tire side of Bridgestone actually works on the golf side of Bridgestone ? 

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4  The ONLY One Length Contestant!  Follow me on Twitter and Instagram

:cameron-small:  Special Select Newport 2  34" :scotty-small: Matador grip                                                                                697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

:titelist-small: Staff Bag  Full set of :titelist-small: Clubs on sidelines for at least 8 weeks of COBRACONNECTCHALLENGE4 #MGSCOBRA2020

Tested :bridgestone-small: Prototype Balls       Tour B RXS                Tested:image.png.8e77a45b1fe8c9cfb7c2a61386f855a5.pngBlack Cat irons 5 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Graphite Regular +0.5" 1* upright                         

16 minutes ago, daviddvm said:

I wonder if anyone from the Tire side of Bridgestone actually works on the golf side of Bridgestone ? 

Don't know but I'll bet their have been more employee transfers from the tire side to the golf side 😆.

• Like 2

Final report is on the way.

Here is a short summation.

I am an older player with a slower swing and ball speed; so when we did our video, Bridgestone recommended I play their e12.  I already play that as my gamer.  

So the best option for me to test was the RX. I cannot really express my surprise and even shock at how much this particular ball has helped my game: cleaner straighter drives, more consistency with my group of irons and my hybrids, and, finally, the spin needed on chips and pitches.

No, all my mediocre skills were not miraculously improved. 😥

I may change to this ball.

I have loved Bridgestone spheres since I returned to golf after a 2 decade period.  The confidence I have come to expect with their balls was re-confirmed.  Heck, I even tried to mash one ball using non-golf methods with no luck.  One ball I played for over 34 holes (would have finished the round with it until I sent it swimming).

Considering I have 2 boxes of e12 and a few sleeves of e6 in the trunk of the car, it will be a few months before this retired person needs to resupply.  When that time comes, I will be sure to get some RX.

They will not make me senior tour ready, but this month, I have found good results and good fun in the Tour RX.

Edited by DrMJG
  • Like 9

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 Super Bowl Champions Bag  :  :ping: G410 Plus, Alta Red CB 55 SR Flex, GX-7 14º(acting as a 3 wood),  :ping:   G400 4H, 5H. Sr Flex,   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges graphite SR Shafts (50º, 56º, 60º),  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g :bridgestone: e12 for the items I try to hit on purposematte red, so I can see them. :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

This is one of many videos coming, when I finish my final review, but see if you can tell the difference in sound that the ball makes upon contact with the putter face.  I hit a Titleist ProV1 first, then the Bridgestone B RXS, then a Srixon Z Star, and then a Titleist AVX.  My apologies for the limited audio quality, as it's just the iphone speaker on the other end of the putting green on a tripod.  I will probably do the test outdoors on a real putting green, and place the camera behind me for better audio quality, and try the same test that way outdoors.

• Like 6

Gotta say - I am duly impressed with how well you guys can feel and hear the ball coming off the putter.  Other than range rocks I have a real hard time differentiating between various balls.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

StrokerAce
:cobra-small:  Speedzone Xtreme 
:cobra-small:  King F7 3/4w Fujikara 
:titelist-small:  816 H1 21 Diamana red 
:ping-small:  G410 4-U Project X LZ 6.0
:vokey-small:  SM6 54/58 
TBD...
:918457628_PrecisionPro: nx7 pro 
:1590477705_SunMountain:  C130
:Arccos: Caddie

Franklin, MA; Right Handed; 10
"the club face sends it, the path bends it..."

5 hours ago, Mr. 82 said:

This is one of many videos coming, when I finish my final review, but see if you can tell the difference in sound that the ball makes upon contact with the putter face.  I hit a Titleist ProV1 first, then the Bridgestone B RXS, then a Srixon Z Star, and then a Titleist AVX.  My apologies for the limited audio quality, as it's just the iphone speaker on the other end of the putting green on a tripod.  I will probably do the test outdoors on a real putting green, and place the camera behind me for better audio quality, and try the same test that way outdoors.

You must be lethal on straight puts inside 12 feet !  Great video. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, daviddvm said:

Thanks!  I am when there is no wind, break, or bumps or ball marks on the green.   😁

The video was an 8 foot putt, fwiw.

• Like 1