GolfSpy MPR

2020 Official Member Review: Bridgestone White Box Ball

Our Sponsors

Worked in sand traps. Used both 56º and 60º to get out of various trap settings. I was able to get out of of deep sand near a lip.  Happy with thheight of the shots and the decision of which club to use when.  In particular, great loft up to a landing area I was aiming for.  When the  ball landed, it did not have a big roll.  It hit strongly and perhaps gave up a 5' or less roll.  This kind of results was somewhat foreign to me.  Using both the e6 and e12, I was always able to get the ball up and out of the trap, but rarely got them not to roll too far. Today, I got the bite I often look for.

3stooge.jpeg

Edited by DrMJG
  • Like 3

Played a round at Wildcat Golf Club close to downtown Houston and wanted to share a little scenery.

IMG_1952.JPG

125 yard 9 iron into the wind spun back pretty nicely.

IMG_1953.JPG

One of the outstanding views from Wildcat Highlands tee box #12...That's NRG stadium and the Astrodome right next door. 

IMG_1955.JPG

I drove the ball exceptionally today.

IMG_1956.JPG
I played wildcat golf course today there was 15 mph sustained winds with gusts up to 30 miles an hour after 3 inches of rain last night it was cartpath only. it’s a really nice course with lots of hazards, Forced carries and large greens with lots of undulations so it was a demanding course for me to go out and play a ball for the first time especially under the conditions. The biggest impact on my game that I saw was with putting the ball. I had no feel for distance control with this ball compared to the pro V 1x that I normally play. I did putt on the practice green for a little while and I could tell the ball has a little bit more spring right off the face of the club and I just never could get comfortable with distance control all day but that’s something that I’m sure will come around and playing this ball a little more so I’m not worried about that.The other thing that I could see today was the ball seemed to come off the club with a very low launch angle. I was placing it back in my stance a little bit because I was trying to flight it down a little because of the windy conditions. I Need to play with the ball a lot more before drawing any conclusions.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 6

Played a round at Wildcat Golf Club close to downtown Houston and wanted to share a little scenery.
IMG_1952.thumb.JPG.f6c98b7bf0f20c098839265d24816358.JPG
IMG_1953.thumb.JPG.7d14ec88ea7ade77aa22a5e88c250148.JPG
One of the outstanding views from Wildcat Highlands tee box #12...That's NRG stadium and the Astrodome right next door. 
IMG_1955.thumb.JPG.c9fc1f093576ae3eec638d6f9bafb060.JPG
IMG_1956.thumb.JPG.4dcde428a1b896be78976a915f3ebe23.JPG
I played wildcat golf course today there was 15 mph sustained winds with gusts up to 30 miles an hour after 3 inches of rain last night it was cartpath only. it’s a really nice course with lots of hazards, Forced carries and large greens with lots of undulations so it was a demanding course for me to go out and play a ball for the first time especially under the conditions. The biggest impact on my game that I saw was with putting the ball. I had no feel for distance control with this ball compared to the pro V 1x that I normally play. I did putt on the practice green for a little while and I could tell the ball has a little bit more spring right off the face of the club and I just never could get comfortable with distance control all day but that’s something that I’m sure will come around and playing this ball a little more so I’m not worried about that.The other thing that I could see today was the ball seemed to come off the club with a very low launch angle. I was placing it back in my stance a little bit because I was trying to flight it down a little because of the windy conditions. I Need to play with the ball a lot more before drawing any conclusions.

Looks like you had the course to yourself.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

1 hour ago, tony@CIC said:

Looks like you had the course to yourself.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Even in the fourth largest city in our nation are many folks as hard core as I am about GOLF...lol  🏌️‍♂️  Thursdays are MY Golf Days.

• Like 2

Made it out yesterday, and today we had a nice uptick to sunny and 75 so I had to go out again.

Yesterday was a better day striking the ball, and it does not lack for distance. At my local course, whole 7 is one of my favorite driving holes. It sets up nicely for the power fade. In three rounds with the prov1, I’m averaging 284. In four rounds with the BXS, I’m averaging 298. To be fair, one of those was 317, so clearly I need a bigger sample size.

I can say that, using Arccos, all of my club averages have creeped up in the last few rounds. I have to get out on a launch monitor, but so far it would appear I’m getting a little more out of the Bridgestone. 

Today the group in front of us was slow, so I hit provs and BXS into every green. I alternated which I hit first, so as not to be a second shot all American for one specific ball. I’m digging the BXS. It is so responsive. The feel I have is incredible. It makes me feel more in control of the ball. I can be more aggressive at pins, knowing that if I miss it a little bit it will still check up. Prov I find I need to hit well or it will release a tiny bit, which makes me play safer on back pins. I like being aggressive, so at this point I’m ready to tell my fiancé if she can’t figure out a gift for birthdays she can just buy me some Bridgestones! I really like this ball!

A quick bit about my game...I have an aggressive tempo, and swing my driver 115+ mph. I’m still working on my short game, but the irons usually work for me. I’ve been struggling with some plane issues on tee shots lately, but I think I just need to get to the range on a day the upper range is closed so I can hit a few drives and get it straightened out. Overall, I’ve been in the low to mid 80s these past rounds with the Bridgestones. 

If anyone has specific questions or tests they’d like to see done I’m happy to oblige! Back to the course for another 9 on Monday!

• Like 5

IMG_1952.thumb.JPG.f6c98b7bf0f20c098839265d24816358.JPG
IMG_1953.thumb.JPG.7d14ec88ea7ade77aa22a5e88c250148.JPG
IMG_1955.thumb.JPG.c9fc1f093576ae3eec638d6f9bafb060.JPG
IMG_1956.thumb.JPG.4dcde428a1b896be78976a915f3ebe23.JPG

One of the courses I would play when I stayed in the Medical Center for work. I hated the course the first time I played it... Overpriced for the condition. The last two times were much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

I did some dry ball testing indoors on the launch monitor. Two things about the BXS that stand out for me so far are soft feel and increased ball speed. The 7i I used is a TaylorMade P790 Black, and the 54 degree wedge is a TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 Black with new grooves. The ball in comparison is my TP5 game ball.

IMG_0182.JPG

BXS 7i

IMG_0188.JPG

TP5 7i

IMG_0184.JPG

BXS 54*

IMG_0190.JPG

TP5 54*

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, FiveGs said:

I did some dry ball testing indoors on the launch monitor. Two things about the BXS that stand out for me so far are soft feel and increased ball speed. The 7i I used is a TaylorMade P790 Black, and the 54 degree wedge is a TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 Black with new grooves. The ball in comparison is my TP5 game ball.

IMG_0182.JPG

BXS 7i

IMG_0188.JPG

TP5 7i

IMG_0184.JPG

BXS 54*

IMG_0190.JPG

TP5 54*

Is it me....or the BS 7i appears to be on club selection "1W" and the TP5 has selection "HYB?"

No idea on if that effects the readings in that particular case, but the junk I use if those are not the same I get skewed data

Edited by Trial&Error
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, PMookie said:

One of the courses I would play when I stayed in the Medical Center for work. I hated the course the first time I played it... Overpriced for the condition. The last two times were much better.

You might not know this course was built on a landfill, that is why it is so unique along the flat gulf coast landscape. Because of Wildcat's elevations it drains really well and for this reason I play this course during wet periods when other (flatter) courses are nearly unplayable. The photos I posted don't do the course justice as it is winter and the grasses are basically dormant right now. I appreciate the course being playable this time of year and I did book my green fees at a significant discount on Golfnow Hot Deals 👍

• Like 3

4 hours ago, FiveGs said:

IMG_0182.JPG

BXS 7i

IMG_0188.JPG

TP5 7i

IMG_0184.JPG

BXS 54*

IMG_0190.JPG

TP5 54*

If the strikes were equal, that's pretty interesting you gained almost a whole club in carry distance.

• Like 3

You might not know this course was built on a landfill, that is why it is so unique along the flat gulf coast landscape. Because of Wildcat's elevations it drains really well and for this reason I play this course during wet periods when other (flatter) courses are nearly unplayable. The photos I posted don't do the course justice as it is winter and the grasses are basically dormant right now. I appreciate the course being playable this time of year and I did book my green fees at a significant discount on Golfnow Hot Deals 

I last played it in June. It was in good shape.

If the strikes were equal, that's pretty interesting you gained almost a whole club in carry distance.

4 mph ball speed difference...?

• Like 1

I felt like they were both hit solid and I stepped on both of them pretty good.

• Like 1

Played 9 holes after work today and I'm seeing a lot of the same with this ball as the previous generation.

Longer off every club, decent stopping power from 50y and out, but within that and around the green -- not so much. Have to account for much more roll out than the V1x.

• Like 4

Put the ball in play today in our dogfight.  Course was overly saturated after a heavy rain yesterday (SC winters for ya) and it was in mid 40s for the better part of the round. This ball feels amazing off driver and I saw better distance off the tee vs the ZStar.  #1 is a straight away 514 yd par 5.  I absolutely hammered my opening drive and was 216 out with no rollout.  Had several drives that were very much like this throughout the round.  One thing I can say, is this ball doesn’t seem to curve near as much as the ZStar either, but that’s due to the extra spin I’m getting with it.  

Off the irons, the ball feels just right.  Not mushy by any means, but enough feel to where I could still get feedback on where the strike was.  Ditto for wedges.  I had several approach shots that were right there with the ball mark.  4/5 irons stopped within 5-6 paces and 6/7 irons would be within a yard of the ball mark.  8-P would end up slightly behind.  Wedges were much the same, had a few 35/40 yard pitches and the ball would hop once and stop.  Chipping around the greens, I felt the results were very similar from what I would normally expect out of my ZStar.  I typically like to use a PW around the green when I have plenty to work with.  For me, and my lack of proper practice time, it’s easier for me to gauge a run out chip than it is to fly a higher lofted wedge.  Anyhow, had a few of these shots today and I wouldn’t have noticed a difference between the B XS and the ZStar.

Where I need some adjustment time is with the putter.  This ball is incredibly soft feeling and was hard to get a gauge on how to hit the right speed The first time out.  Someone else mentioned this earlier.  I play a milled Odyssey Black Series #3, couldn’t imagine how soft this thing would be with a softer insert putter.  I’ll get this figured out, but the first outing I struggled with my putter.

Ahh...almost forgot.  Durability seems to be pretty good too.  I cleaned the ball up after the round and I’d still rate it a 8/10.  Absolutely no issue putting this ball in play for another practice round.  If I was playing anything that mattered, I’d throw a new one out, but I would do that regardless.  You’ll see in the one pic, there looks to be a slight nick, but my fingernail doesn’t catch on it.

Overall, I really like this ball so far and it’s definitely longer and straighter.  The putter feels will hopefully come around quickly.  Have a tough man next weekend, so that’ll be interesting in itself.

A1A4CF51-069B-4B04-8BE5-4E6DCED18CA1.jpeg

1B6BB9D7-E3EB-43EA-916F-B8F6EA943907.jpeg

• Like 9

I spent today with driver in hand to get some  numbers. I took smacks with e12, current RX and with white box RX.

I am reporting here the average white box RX results for 50 shots

Club Speed 100

Ball Speed 138

Spin 2810

Launch angle 15º

Carry Yard 208

Total Yard 227

To be honest, some to the results were sent lower because of a few of my inconsistencies.  Still, if I would have those average numbers in a round, I would be very well pleased. What pleased me the most was a deviation only 5' from line.  My tendency to pull a it beyond fade was really minimal. My sometimes thin shots left no marks or smudges

Will be tested with a round soon.

Edited by DrMJG
  • Like 4

On 1/24/2020 at 5:56 PM, yungkory said:

Played 9 holes after work today and I'm seeing a lot of the same with this ball as the previous generation.

Longer off every club, decent stopping power from 50y and out, but within that and around the green -- not so much. Have to account for much more roll out than the V1x.

Well, I have to come back and straighten this out.

I was going through my bag because I'm playing tomorrow morning and wanted to make sure I had 2020 Tour B X's in there to keep testing with. I was pulling balls out to inspect the ball I used on Friday and I was shocked when I realized it was the 2018 version 🤦‍♂️. I'm glad they changed the text/graphics on the ball or I wouldn't have confirmed it. So, scratch what I said on Friday about the spin around the green not being different -- it wasn't different because it was the same ball LOL!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 1/21/2020 at 12:49 PM, dalejbrass said:

Took a few years off golf dealing with and ultimately healing from a complete replacement of my right hip. Prior to the surgery, I was playing to a 7 handicap. Post surgery and 3 years later, I started my 2019 season as a 13 handicap. My current handicap is 5.8 on a tight private golf course in the middle of a marsh. Finding fairways and greens is at a premium here!

That's awesome... and quite a testament to advances in medical technology/procedures. 

To all the testers, is anyone evaluating ball balance/CG?  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

That's awesome... and quite a testament to advances in medical technology/procedures. 

To all the testers, is anyone evaluating ball balance/CG?  

Ball balance and CG, I am not testing for that in my eval. Not sure on others

• Like 1

My work schedule should slow down a bit after this week.. 🤞🏼

Planning on a next Saturday round with the XS’, been pitching with a couple out in the yard with various different clubs up to 120 yards. Right now I can get 7 of the 9 trajectory windows with them at 100 yards with a PW... but that’s probably just me, the Medium Draw and the low Fade just don’t click right now. I’ll get there.

I plan to play solely with these Bridgestone’s all year. If/when I run out I will be purchasing some to restock. I may buy a box of the X to test alongside when they come to retail.

Being a short game fanatic, most of my testing will be done within that 150 yard mark. I don’t really care what the ball feels like off the driver, as long as it doesn’t ballon or knuckle ball. Mid and long irons same thing, the object is to advance the ball far enough to get in range of a 8/9 iron or lower.

I don’t have any access to launch monitors or any other tech, so all my testing will be as seen in person.

• Like 2