JohnSmalls

Hero World Challenge 2019

Our Sponsors

Grabbing a late and quick lunch, put the tournament on and after about 2 minutes I see Patrick Reed in what looked like a bunker with the cameraman zoomed in on him taking “practice swings” while addressing the ball and moving sand away from his ball, not once but twice.   Am I wrong in thinking this should be a penalty?

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, JohnSmalls said:

Grabbing a late and quick lunch, put the tournament on and after about 2 minutes I see Patrick Reed in what looked like a bunker with the cameraman zoomed in on him taking “practice swings” while addressing the ball and moving sand away from his ball, not once but twice.   Am I wrong in thinking this should be a penalty?

Not anymore. New rules of golf allow player to touch sand with a club and remove loose impediments

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Not anymore. New rules of golf allow player to touch sand with a club and remove loose impediments

But reed is clearly pushing the sand behind his ball away from the ball with his practice swing.  He did the same thing on 16 yesterday and it was clear that he was doing it to get a better lie.  Not sure how get got away with it yesterday

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, jlukes said:

But reed is clearly pushing the sand behind his ball away from the ball with his practice swing.  He did the same thing on 16 yesterday and it was clear that he was doing it to get a better lie.  Not sure how get got away with it yesterday

That’s a different situation than practice swings while addressing the ball. 

• Like 1

I watched it happen and he clearly breached the rules. And he moved sand multiple times until satisfied.

I’m betting he’s about to catch a couple extra pops.

• Like 4

Kuchar did something similar earlier in the year and got nothing from the Tournament officials. It’s a joke. In no way should that not be punishable.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

It’s not a good look but it comes down to intent and if they can say he intended to improve lie. Players do something similar in the rough. 

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

It’s not a good look but it comes down to intent and if they can say he intended to improve lie. Players do something similar in the rough. 

USGA 8-1a. (4) player may not remove or press down sand or loose soil to improve any of the conditions affecting their stroke.

Intent does not factor in this scenario.

• Like 8

As I understand it based on new rules you can ground your club but not improve the lie. Is my understanding correct?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

As I understand it based on new rules you can ground your club but not improve the lie. Is my understanding correct?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

You are correct. They also stated that he improved his line of play

• Like 3

I mean if he gets away with it again and again, he looks like a (cheating in my opinion) genius that knows how to tip toe the line.   But he clearly improved his lie, and there is no way the rules officials should let that slide for anyone.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, downlowkey said:

USGA 8-1a. (4) player may not remove or press down sand or loose soil to improve any of the conditions affecting their stroke.

Intent does not factor in this scenario.

Reading more on it according to read the camera angle they had makes it look like but if they had a different angle he said they would be able to see the distance from the ball would show he wasn’t improving the lie. So yes in this case intent wasn’t there but because of lack of visual evidence from another angle he accepted a penalty.

• Like 1

PR moniker update: Captain Assh.... errr... Asterisk... I intended to say Captain Asterisk... it's the camera angle

70761481_CaptainAsterisk.thumb.png.4bb6d589ff14a1cd1450dcb166d60817.png

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Reading more on it according to read the camera angle they had makes it look like but if they had a different angle he said they would be able to see the distance from the ball would show he wasn’t improving the lie. So yes in this case intent wasn’t there but because of lack of visual evidence from another angle he accepted a penalty.

This seems to me like a cop out and refusal to accept any responsibility for his action. Intent or not, he improved the lie, and in a game of honor, the proper thing is to say, while not intentional, I understand I improved my lie, and therefore should be penalized. I mean, you know you’re gonna get penalized anyway, why not save face and act like it wasn’t intentional? 

13 minutes ago, GSwag said:

Good.

Edited by GB13
  • Like 2

Same tournament in 2015. Seems more like habit than accident.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2

Tiger's lurking just two back going into the final round after following up his roller coaster even par 72 opening round with a 66 and 67. Won't count for 83 if he wins but glad to see the knee surgery has got him playing solid golf again.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1