Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Hero World Challenge 2019

JohnSmalls

All I have to say about the Reed incident is that, despite his past transgressions, he should have been given the benefit of the doubt, especially with the lack of evidence available to review.

There was only one camera angle to look at, and it provided no definitive proof that he was actually improving his lie. The video certainly didn't "look good" but there really wasn't enough evidence from just that camera angle to definitively state that he actually improved his lie in any way. His explanation for his actions is certainly a plausible explanation, at least in my opinion.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

I just finished watching the clip again and here’s what I see... Reed grounds his club directly behind the ball in the sand, and takes the club back just as he would if he were taking the shot. He re-routes his club on the way down to complete the practice swing well inside of where the ball is. The takeaway is part of the stroke and the lip of the sand clearly impeded his ability to take the club back in a normal fashion. Therefore the removal of sand was an improvement of his lie. Pretty straightforward if you ask me.

On a mildly separate note: the clip I found on YouTube showed him stepping a few feet away from the ball and taking a legitimate practice swing - complete with a splash of sand. Do the new rules actually allow this???

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

35 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

I just finished watching the clip again and here’s what I see... Reed grounds his club directly behind the ball in the sand, and takes the club back just as he would if he were taking the shot. He re-routes his club on the way down to complete the practice swing well inside of where the ball is. The takeaway is part of the stroke and the lip of the sand clearly impeded his ability to take the club back in a normal fashion. Therefore the removal of sand was an improvement of his lie. Pretty straightforward if you ask me.

On a mildly separate note: the clip I found on YouTube showed him stepping a few feet away from the ball and taking a legitimate practice swing - complete with a splash of sand. Do the new rules actually allow this???

Very common in Florida are waste areas or waste bunkers  which are not prepared and maintained as bunkers that are considered a hazard.  The area Reed is in is a waste area.  It is treated the same as any other general area of the course and practice swings are allowed, just like on grass.  

Just like anywhere else, you can't improve your lie.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

17 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Very common in Florida are waste areas or waste bunkers  which are not prepared and maintained as bunkers that are considered a hazard.  The area Reed is in is a waste area.  It is treated the same as any other general area of the course and practice swings are allowed, just like on grass.  

Just like anywhere else, you can't improve your lie.

Gotcha. I thought that’s what it was, but wanted to make sure.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

For those still struggling to accept the legitimacy of PR’s penalty assessment - I suggest you take a step back from his “lie” - pun intended.

Slugger White (PGA Tour Rules Official) correctly framed this situation under 8-1a (4), as a matter re: line of play. The backswing is included in a player’s line of play. By grounding his club within the depression and then making a backswing(s), he altered his line of play (sub. conditions affecting stroke).

For the same reason you may not remove a bush growing in front of your ball, you may not knock down a pile of sand behind it. Rule 8 covers a central principle of the game: “play the course as you found it”. Some players uphold the notion as one of the sacred cornerstones of the game. Others view the principle as a technical nuisance. And we’re all free to decide for ourselves within which of those categories we believe a player operates. The only other thing I’ll add - in my experience, old habits die hard.

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

8 hours ago, downlowkey said:

For those still struggling to accept the legitimacy of PR’s penalty assessment - I suggest you take a step back from his “lie” - pun intended.

Slugger White (PGA Tour Rules Official) correctly framed this situation under 8-1a (4), as a matter re: line of play. The backswing is included in a player’s line of play. By grounding his club within the depression and then making a backswing(s), he altered his line of play (sub. conditions affecting stroke).

To add clarity, (I hope), one of the areas you are not allowed to alter is "The area of the player’s intended swing,".  Reed claims that the lump of sand that he moved was far enough back that it didn't matter to his swing, but a normal swing wouldn't have missed it by even a full inch.  Its clearly in the area of his intended swing. 

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Time for the news feeds to get over it - that's all I see from all of them this morning.. I do like Reed but he F'ed Up. It's done, penalty imposed which cost Reed lots of cash in the end, not to mention good will around his name. Wish those news jockeys would start focusing on the President's Cup. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

40 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

Time for the news feeds to get over it - that's all I see from all of them this morning.. I do like Reed but he F'ed Up. It's done, penalty imposed which cost Reed lots of cash in the end, not to mention good will around his name. Wish those news jockeys would start focusing on the President's Cup. 

Agreed, so much coverage on this, lets get past it and focus on what's next. Reed's reputation is well known, nothing new.

:taylormade-small: M5 9.0* 
:titelist-small: 915d 18* & 21*
:titelist-small: 716 AP2 4&5
:titelist-small: ZB 6-P
:titelist-small: SM7 52-F, 56-S & SM6 60-K
:cameron-small: Futura X5

I am still shocked that Reed was picked for the President's Cup team.  Even well before this incident, his behavior (and poor play) at the Ryder Cup seemed to have sent a public perception of a player no one wants to be around, or would want to play with.  I realize that I only get information from the media and whatever transpires on TV, but the negative vibes Reed generated after Ryder Cup had me thinking he'd never be on another USA team unless he earned his way on.  But to see Tiger pick him really shocked me.

This whole incident at the Hero only reinforces what pretty much everyone has ever said about Reed since forever.  He has no relationship with any of his college teammates.  He's disowned his own family.  He's a loner and does things his own selfish way.  I just don't understand how anyone can give this guy the benefit of the doubt with anything, as his reputation and past behavior speak for themselves; at least I think so anyway.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

So glad none of us gets judged on our past decisions and who we were when we were younger.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

2 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

So glad none of us gets judged on our past decisions and who we were when we were younger.

There is judgment in everything in life.  There are also consequences for our behavior and actions.

And if you really want to go there, you judged someone with your statement above, even with the words you didn't say.

Judgment is a part of life.  Just because it's a taboo word in the general public doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Not that I want to make this political in any way, but there is a certain segment of our culture who lives on social media and goes around finding ways to destroy people's lives simply by opposing their worldview choices.  Twitter, Facebook and Instagram have become the de facto social police, and people are losing jobs (and committing suicide) simply because of actions or opinions that in the past would have never raised an eyebrow.  But a certain younger "woke" generation thinks it's ok to destroy people's lives, simply because someone doesn't agree with their point of view.

For what it's worth, nothing I said above is news, or not already known.  If you want to defend Reed for being a total ass in public and cheating in golf, that's your prerogative.  I just see a young man with a lot of talent to play a game that in the past has demanded integrity and calling penalties on yourself, instead of being forced to have them called out to you, when you truly know you broke the rules.  It's a pattern of behavior that has followed Patrick Reed everywhere he's gone.  So it's not like this is a one off mistake that has never happened in the past.  He's habitual with this.  And I find it truly sad that this young man has disowned his own family.  What exactly did his parents do that was so unforgivable?  And since Reed won't speak about it publicly I guess we'll never know.  Truly sad though, and I don't believe this will end well when all is said and done with Reed in life.  There's more to this story that is yet to be written, and not in a positive way.  I almost pity him in a way, if he didn't seem to intentionally self-destruct so much.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

Not sure if you heard, practice round at Royal Melbourne...

"On the first tee, from America... The Excavator"

:cobra-small: LTDx LS 9*D,  HZRDUS Green HC 60g 6.0, 45" 4g + 12g weight 
:cobra-small: King LTD @ 14.5* HZRDUS Blue 70g 6.0, 42.5"
:cobra-small: King LTD  @ 17.5*, HZRDUS Blue 70g 6.0, 4
0.5"/ :cobra-small: 2022 Utility Iron 2 @ 17*, Ventus Black 10x, 39.25"

:cobra-small: 2022 Utility Iron 4 OL @ 20* Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36"
wishon.png.f487cdf69e368c89461d72fa6fc7bbe4.pngEQ1-NX OL 5i-PW Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36
"

Cobra SBOL 48*, 52*, 56* Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36"
OIP.jpg.04da427c8e36dc0d247492fdfa8569f6.jpgC-Series DW Armlock

Vice Pro Plus

39 minutes ago, Green Sheep Productions said:

Not sure if you heard, practice round at Royal Melbourne...

"On the first tee, from America... The Excavator"

IS he perhaps a distant relative to the long-time coach of Notre Dame basketball...Digger Phelps?

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia