Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Cold Weather balls?

I live in Myrtle Beach SC and have the opportunity to play 4-5 days a week.

Temperatures range from mid 40’s in the morning to high 60’s in the afternoon.

I am struggling with consistency in ball selection when temperatures are in the 40’s and 50’s?

Brigestone e12 speed seem to travel the distance, but won’t hold the greens with long shots in?

Any suggestions?

852E5028-82CB-44DA-AE00-1143C2199F0F.jpeg

For me here in Michigan when the temps get below 50 degrees I switch from the Bridgestone TourB RX to the e12. I can tell you that for me the e12's don't hold the green as well as the TourB RX's, I believe it's because of the cover, urethane vs srylin. When I play in the colder temps with the e12's I adjust my approach shots to allow for the longer run out of the e12's.

I do like the softer balls in the colder weather, they don't travel as far but it's better for my hands and arms.

Anyhow, that my 2 cents......

Chris

Far and Sure......

:callaway-small:          GBB Epic  11*             

:callaway-small:               GBB Epic 7W (Heavenwood)

:ping-small::             G410 4 thru GW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*,60*                                                         

:cleveland-small:         Huntington Beach Soft #4

:bridgestone-small:   Tour B RX

I live in Myrtle Beach SC and have the opportunity to play 4-5 days a week.

Temperatures range from mid 40’s in the morning to high 60’s in the afternoon.

I am struggling with consistency in ball selection when temperatures are in the 40’s and 50’s?

Brigestone e12 speed seem to travel the distance, but won’t hold the greens with long shots in?

Any suggestions?

Last year at this time I stayed in Myrtle for 90 days. Coming from Hawaii the colder wet conditions really threw me for a loop. The ball was going no where and the game got considerably harder. First thing I did was move up one Tee Box. That hurt my ego but I enjoyed the game more. I then made a trip to the Discount Golf Shop on Hwy 17 and bought a bunch of varying brands. What worked best for me???? Nike Black (not red, not platinum).

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

I will play a Srixon Soft Feel or Callaway Super Soft when the temp dros. If Im playing inthe 30s I might evengo to a ladies ball. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

• 3 weeks later...

I used to drop compression in cold weather back in the days of balata when I lived in NJ.  I live in VA, and it can get pretty cold, but I don't switch balls.  I do keep a second ball in my pocket and switch balls each hole if it gets really cold.  Our First Tee chapter used to play our Coach's Cup in December when the college kids were home on break, and I hit an approach shot into a frozen green that bounced at least 10 feet in the air after it hit the ground.  But I was still using my usual Pro V1X.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I play the Wilson Staff Duo Professional sporadically throughout the season anyway. So familiarity and colder weather just leads me to put it in play exclusively during the colder months.

Good distance, decent spin. Very nice feel in the cold. Admittedly, it might feel a bit too soft during the summer. But once the temps drop, I found that it feels great.

I played a Titleist proV1x last night in 45 degree weather. I only played it as it was what I grabbed out of the bucket.   The night before I played a Srixon Soft Feel in temps give or take a degree.  I was 10-15 yards shorter last night with the Titleist off the tee from the night before.  I was a 1/2 club shorter with my irons. 

I will stick with the low compression cheaper balls during cold play.

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

2 hours ago, jlukes said:

Good find.  The TXG boys know what they are doing, and I have learned a good bit from their content.  However, I think it is interesting that a couple of other golf "youtubers", Mark Crossfield being one,  have done a similar experiment and gotten different results from Matty and Ian.  What do you think @jlukes?

Crossfield:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESSzDmOlYHM

James Robinson:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neRazNYFzbc

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

1 hour ago, JohnSmalls said:

Good find.  The TXG boys know what they are doing, and I have learned a good bit from their content.  However, I think it is interesting that a couple of other golf "youtubers", Mark Crossfield being one,  have done a similar experiment and gotten different results from Matty and Ian.  What do you think @jlukes?

Crossfield:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESSzDmOlYHM

James Robinson:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neRazNYFzbc

The relationship between compression and ball speed has a weird relationship. 

Too little compression for slow swing speeds = less ball speed. 

Too much compression for slow swing speed = less ball speed. 

Results varied because Matt swings much faster than the other testers 

Good find.  The TXG boys know what they are doing, and I have learned a good bit from their content.  However, I think it is interesting that a couple of other golf "youtubers", Mark Crossfield being one,  have done a similar experiment and gotten different results from Matty and Ian.  What do you think [mention=56939]jlukes[/mention]?

Crossfield:

James Robinson:

Saw this as well. There was a study done years ago that’s been a go-to for loss/gain of yards due to temp, and now rangefinders are using algorithms that take into account temperature and not just slope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Pennsylvania and played 2 rounds the past week, temps were in low 40s. Typically during this time of the year, I don't worried as much about my score and focus on my mechanics, ball striking, course management so it's all practice.

Before my round today, I met a guy selling balls on letgo for $15.

I got a dozen of Top Flite xldistance,

a dozen Slazenger xtreme,

a half dozen of Maxfli RevolutionD

and 15pack of Callaway Superhots all new in box. 

He also threw about 12 misc. used balls so damn near 50 balls to use in cold weather for $15

I played all 18 with one of the top flites with no issues holding greens, actually spun one back a pretty good amount unexpectedly on a par 3.

I play the ProV1x in the spring/summer/fall and move to the regular ProV in the winter as it's slightly softer.   Both are a little shorter in the cold temps, but the extra clothing layers and denser air have as much to do with that as much as the ball.   I just like the consistency inside 100 yards and chipping/putting.   Since I hit less GIR's in the winter, I'm really relying on short game control to score in wintertime.