Middler

Wellputt vs Puttout Mat?

I read every post in the recent PuttOUT test and I’m sold on the Pressure Putt and the Mirror/Gate. The groove that develops in the Puttout mat would drive me crazy, and constantly brushing it isn’t a satisfactory solution IMHO. So have any of you tried the Wellputt mats over the long term? They appear to be of comparable quality, but do they also develop grooves in time? Wellputt mats come in 10, 13 and 26 lengths as well.

https://wellputt.com/mat-products/

https://www.puttout.golf

• Like 4

I can’t speak for the Putt Out Mat but I have a WellPutt Mat and like it. I opted for it over others because I was looking for the fasted mat I could find since my club has horribly fast greens and I didn’t think the putt out would be quick enough. I have the 13’ WellPutt in the fasted version they make and am very happy with it. It’s probably on par with a flat putt on the course I play if my course had flat putts, which is rare. There are no grooves that develop whatsoever, I hope this helps.

• Like 2

I had the 10' WellPutt Mat for a fairly long time and while I didn't use it constantly, I did use it enough to feel confident saying that it shouldn't develop any sort of groove. I wound up selling it to a friend a couple years ago because I just didn't have a good place to use it in the house I had moved to. Now that I've moved again, I'm thinking I'll probably get another one soon (contemplating the 13' this go around). I like the WellPutt Mat for the games and training tools incorporated into it. Doesn't seem like the Putt Out Mat offers anything like that. 

The one thing I will note about the WellPutt Mat is that it will probably require some time and/or tape to get it to lay perfectly flat. Other than that, I think it's a great and highly underrated putting mat.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cnosil said:

Looks like MGS will be doing some putting related testing this year. 

Sign me up!!! Lol

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cnosil said:

Looks like MGS will be doing some putting related testing this year.   While I was there today,  I saw some boxes of Wellputt goodies so I asked if I could open them and give them a try.   Tried the Wellputt Start and the 13 foot premium (fast speed).   Rolled them out and the one end was curled up a little, but a quick reverse roll flattened it out.    I have the app on my phone, but didn't go through those drills.   I just tried the various spots and felt that it rolls true and would work well.   Learned a few things about my stroke that I was able to tweek and get some better performance from my stroke.    Personally I would get one of the regular mats over the Start model but I think they are good quality mats that could help your putting. 

That's a great mini review, thanks. I'm working on clearing a larger space in my basement and the 13 footer looks promising, especially after I just finished Every Shot Counts. Made me realize just how much better I could be if I consistently practiced 12 footers and less.

I do have the 8 foot BirdieBall remnant right now, it's OK, not great. But it was only like $5 when purchased with a Putt-Out Trainer.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I’ve had my Wellputt 13’ for almost 3 weeks now and I’m very pleased with it, though it’s overpriced. It laid flat from day one other than the end, but I flattened that with a couple books, easy. I’ve used the Wellputt drills some* but mostly I just choose a spot at different distances (3’-10’) and angles (not just up and down the centerline). I putt in one direction and then back and repeat. There’s no evidence of wearing a path in it, but I’m deliberately not using one path.

It’s supposed to be an 10-11.5 Stimp reading and it is fast, but the greens I play regularly are that fast - so the mat is representative. If you regularly play on really slow greens, the Wellputt mat might not be as useful other than line.

I also bought and use a Puttout Pressure Putt trainer with the Wellputt mat. I’d rather know my putts are going 12-17” past the hole, instead of trying to stop the ball in a 4.25” circle on the mat. I’m finding using both best suits me. YMMV

* I’ve used the Wellputt app because there was no training book included. They apologized and said they’d send me one on 12/16, I’m still waiting...

Edited by Middler
  • Like 1

* I’ve used the Wellputt app because there was no training book included. They apologized and said they’d send me one on 12/16, I’m still waiting...

Interesting, I opened the boxes at MGS anD no documentation was in the boxes.
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Interesting, I opened the boxes at MGS anD no documentation was in the boxes.

Here’s what Wellputt told me on 12/16 FWIW:

Hi, 
Thanks a lot for your purchase and your message ! 
Unfortunetly 50 mats have been delivered without Training Book,
Obviously we'll send it to you immediatly ! 
However you can already download the "Wellputt app" and version 2 will be launched in january and will be automatically updated and you will be able to record your scores !”

I’m guessing they want to eliminate the hard copy and push users to the app, but they can’t formally until they update the verbiage on the box and then their ad copy.

Edited by Middler
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

That's interesting about the instruction booklet. When I had mine, there was no app to download. Taking a quick look at the app, there were several mini games available in the instruction booklet that appear to be missing. Honestly though, I don't think that's a big deal as most of them were meant to be played with two or more people which limits their use. What is available in the app, and what I recommend everyone give a try, are the WellPutt courses. There is a Yellow Course, Blue Course, and a Black Course with downloadable scorecards for each.

The courses are what really enable you to get your money's worth out of the mat IMO. The objective is to start with the Yellow Course and if you can achieve a certain score, then you can move onto the Blue Course and so forth. Each course has a slightly different focus, but what they all have in common is that they require you to stroke putts from various places on the mat to differing targets and in both directions. Most of the "holes" going in the "normal" direction have you make three putts from one of the circles located at various points down the middle or on either side of the mat. When putting the opposite direction, the name of the game is typically to work on speed control and get the ball to stop in one of the numbered/colored zones.

I thought I copied the instruction booklet and saved it to my computer forever ago, but it may have just been the scorecards. I'll have to look and see what I've got (if I still have anything) and share with you guys if you want.

It's a shame that they no longer seem to include the booklet as it seems like no one really cares to look at the app and the app doesn't appear to offer as much explanation about the how the mat is intended to be used. For instance, 

6 hours ago, Middler said:

I also bought and use a Puttout Pressure Putt trainer with the Wellputt mat. I’d rather know my putts are going 12-17” past the hole, instead of trying to stop the ball in a 4.25” circle on the mat. I’m finding using both best suits me. YMMV

It's not intended for you to stop the ball in the circle (though it would be a made putt). The intention is for you to learn to stop the ball anywhere within the "Good Zone" (that orange and black area beyond the hole). Not implying that what you're doing is wrong; I plan to use with a Putt Out periodically when I re-purchase.

Anyway, after seeing the comments about the app and booklet, I thought I'd share a bit more about my experience with WellPutt. Hope it helps!

Edited by TR1PTIK
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TR1PTIK said:

It's not intended for you to stop the ball in the circle (though it would be a made putt). The intention is for you to learn to stop the ball anywhere within the "Good Zone" (that orange and black area beyond the hole). Not implying that what you're doing is wrong; I plan to use with a Putt Out periodically when I re-purchase.

Thanks for all your insights, honestly it helps. 

The “Good Zone” is only on one end, but in all fairness I can easily see how far past I am going in the other direction. However, if you’re starting from more than 3 feet, you could miss the hole and still be in the good zone, so you’d have to make sure you passed within/over the hole AND in the zone.

The instructions only say “Use 3 balls and place them as shown in the guide. Play and count your points.” And for example one hole says “Place the ball 6 feet from the hole on the black dot (S). Use the dotted line for help with direction and putt to touch the object in the center of the hole.” 

I’m a little dense. It sounds like the ball is supposed to end up in the 4” circle, not in the “good zone” - I agree the zone is preferable. But what counts as a pass-score - 1 of 3 balls (I wouldn’t think so), 2 of 3 or it takes all 3 to pass-score? 

So I’ve used (my) common sense, I guess I’m disappointed I didn’t get the book which might have made it all clearer, especially after they said they’d send me one “immediately” almost 3 weeks ago. I just emailed again and hopefully they’ll send/resend the book.

Even though the Wellputt mat is overpriced, I don’t regret buying it and I am getting good use from it. I use the Wellputt mat with and without the PuttOUT PP trainer. Both are fun, and that makes them useful.

Edited by Middler
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

Yeah that all sounds considerably more vague than the printed instruction booklet I had. ☹️
It’s been a couple years since I sold mine, but if I recall correctly, it was possible to do a partial score. The app doesn’t seem to offer up a good way to do that. What you could do though is count it for making one ball of three. If you find yourself easily going through each course counting one ball out of three then you could up that to two, and then finally three. I think this would be a good way to alleviate some frustration and add in difficulty as you progress with it. Just my two cents. Hopefully you get a booklet soon.

Edited by TR1PTIK

3 hours ago, TR1PTIK said:

Yeah that all sounds considerably more vague than the printed instruction booklet I had. ☹️
It’s been a couple years since I sold mine, but if I recall correctly, it was possible to do a partial score. The app doesn’t seem to offer up a good way to do that. What you could do though is count it for making one ball of three. If you find yourself easily going through each course counting one ball out of three then you could up that to two, and then finally three. I think this would be a good way to alleviate some frustration and add in difficulty as you progress with it. Just my two cents. Hopefully you get a booklet soon.

That’s a good idea whether I get the book or not. Thanks.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Middler said:

The instructions only say “Use 3 balls and place them as shown in the guide. Play and count your points.” And for example one hole says “Place the ball 6 feet from the hole on the black dot (S). Use the dotted line for help with direction and putt to touch the object in the center of the hole.” 

I’m a little dense. It sounds like the ball is supposed to end up in the 4” circle, not in the “good zone” - I agree the zone is preferable. But what counts as a pass-score - 1 of 3 balls (I wouldn’t think so), 2 of 3 or it takes all 3 to pass-score? 

I found a copy of training manual online;  it is in pdf or I would upload,  and it is the same information that is included in the app.  I think reading through the entire app is an adequate substitute for the paper manual. 

There are 3 "courses" that you are supposed to follow and score.  The yellow course is the easiest and you have 3 balls to get one to roll through the circle.   The blue and black courses are tougher and you have to roll a certain number through the hole and stop in specific areas to get be successful;  each "hole" identifies the success criteria.  

I did some additional evaluation between the wellput and puttout....at least from a usage perspective.   The puttout seem designed to roll the ball down the middle each time because that is where the alignment marks are setup.   The wellputt is designed to roll from all areas;  which I think helps with rolling putts where you are standing to the left or right of the hole.   I also like the wellputt zone to see were the ball would end up past the hole.   I personally don't see a lot of benefit in the puttout trainer  and it rolling the ball back the distance you would go past the hole.;  so I have some bias there.     The other thing that I think is important for these mats is that they are on a relatively flat surface especially the wellputt since it is designed to roll the ball over specific lines and over the hole.  With any actual break it would lead to confusion and require some amount of compensation.   

Posted (edited)

The bad news is Wellputt told me they don't have any Training Books, but they will have some reprinted by the end of Feb? We'll see.

The good news is I asked for a PDF copy and they sent it. There is far more there than the app, sorry they're not comparable. I'd attach the file, but it's large PDF, not a file type acceptable here or most/any forum.

Edited by Middler
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Middler said:

The bad news is Wellputt told me they don't have any Training Books, but they will have some reprinted by the end of Feb? We'll see.

The good news is I asked for a PDF copy and they sent it. There is far more there than the app, sorry they're not comparable. I'd attach the file, but it's large PDF, not a file type acceptable here or most/any forum.

Glad you got a copy,  maybe the 18 page PDF I was looking at wasn't the same thing you got.  

2 hours ago, Middler said:

Would you be willing to email the file to me? I'd be curious to see it after a few years away. Not to mention, it will come in handy when if (most likely when) I purchase the mat again.

1 minute ago, cnosil said:

Glad you got a copy,  maybe the 18 page PDF I was looking at wasn't the same thing you got.  

There were mini games and a few other odds and ends in the original booklet. Sounds like yours might have been limited to the courses only.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2020 at 8:06 AM, cnosil said:

With any actual break it would lead to confusion and require some amount of compensation.

When I had the mat, I used it in the spare bedroom of our old house built anytime between 1890 and 1920. The original wood floors were not exactly level, but I never had a problem. As long as the mat stays in the same spot, you can figure out the breaks.

1 minute ago, TR1PTIK said:

When I had the mat, I used it in the spare bedroom of our old house built anytime between 1890 and 1920. The original wood floors were not exactly level, but I never had a problem. As long as the mat stays in the same spot, you can figure out the breaks.

Not saying you can't figure out the break,  but IMO,  it could limit your ability to utilize the lines correctly.  Not just a problem with the wellputt,  but any mat that has line indicators. 

• Like 1