tony@CIC

President's Cup 2019

Our Sponsors

Looks like Brooks is out due injury and Rickie is in as his replacement 

• Like 3

Brook is going to have a long 2020 with lots of talking heads turning on him. you watch..

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Green Sheep Productions said:

Looks like it's going to be s*** weather for El Presidente's Cuppe.

Typical of Melbourne weather. Can't do a bloody thing right.

Screenshot_20191209-161003_BOM Weather.jpg

See, that's why we Sydneysiders always say it's always raining in Melbourne...and it's summer!

• Like 2

What are you guys expecting from this year's matchup at Royal Melbourne? This chart was posted this morning on Twitter, and it's the kind of nerdy data that I just love about golf:

EKLTwdKXkAUtZJ2?format=jpg&name=large

[Source: https://twitter.com/LouStagner/status/1198753289858420742]

Statistically, in terms of Strokes Gained, the USA has an enormous advantage. The weakest American in Strokes Gained (Gary Woodland) would be the fourth-ranked player on the International squad.

But the head-to-head matchups are slightly less lopsided: four Americans have losing matchup records against the Int team (Reed, Woodland, Finau, and DeChambeau); four Internationals have overall winning records against the Americans (Matsuyama, Day, Oosthuizen, and Scott).

• Like 5

I am a data geek as well. I saw that you have been retweeting those stats so I have been reading through them.

As for the presidents cup, the numbers favor the US but I don’t think it will be a runaway.

• Like 4

Whether people want to talk about it or not, Patrick Reed is the notable news story heading into this thing.  It's probably all people are talking about, and are going to talk about.  I pity the fool that is paired with him.  Frankly, he needs to just show up and earn his points and just play honest golf.  Leave the circus sidestories back in the Bahamas and just contribute to the team without it being about him.  I honestly don't think he can do it.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, GSwag said:

Whether people want to talk about it or not, Patrick Reed is the notable news story heading into this thing.  It's probably all people are talking about, and are going to talk about.  I pity the fool that is paired with him.  Frankly, he needs to just show up and earn his points and just play honest golf.  Leave the circus sidestories back in the Bahamas and just contribute to the team without it being about him.  I honestly don't think he can do it.

It'll certainly be interesting. Given Reed's showing in the last Ryder Cup (both on and off the course), I agree he'd do well to keep his head down and try to regain his standing as the bulldog of USA match play by his performance rather than by his bluster. Like you, I'm skeptical he has that gear, and that's unfortunate. I think, long term, it's a benefit for Team USA to have Reed at his best for these matches. Europe has shown that having a guy who's a magnet for hatred from the opposing side while playing well above his head in match play format is a formidable addition to any team (I'm thinking of Poulter here). Reed is well-positioned for that role, if he can regain his form without alienating his own teammates.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, MattF said:

See, that's why we Sydneysiders always say it's always raining in Melbourne...and it's summer!

It's a bit too crispy around Sydney at the moment... I'll take the rain!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Green Sheep Productions said:

It's a bit too crispy around Sydney at the moment... I'll take the rain!

No sh!t. It's bloody scary and they've been nailing people lighting the damn things.

• Like 1

On 12/9/2019 at 12:17 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

It'll certainly be interesting. Given Reed's showing in the last Ryder Cup (both on and off the course), I agree he'd do well to keep his head down and try to regain his standing as the bulldog of USA match play by his performance rather than by his bluster. Like you, I'm skeptical he has that gear, and that's unfortunate. I think, long term, it's a benefit for Team USA to have Reed at his best for these matches. Europe has shown that having a guy who's a magnet for hatred from the opposing side while playing well above his head in match play format is a formidable addition to any team (I'm thinking of Poulter here). Reed is well-positioned for that role, if he can regain his form without alienating his own teammates.

I think I'm now of the opinion that Reed's name be dropped from consideration for team events unless he's able to qualify on his own merit. There's just too much drama that comes with placing him on the roster and it's a needless distraction that makes Team USA look pretty pathetic.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TR1PTIK said:

I think I'm now of the opinion that Reed's name be dropped from consideration for team events unless he's able to qualify on his own merit. There's just too much drama that comes with placing him on the roster and it's a needless distraction that makes Team USA look pretty pathetic.

This is a position that makes perfect sense, and I could certainly get behind it. That said, and at the risk of doing some serious over psychoanalysis, I do wonder if picking Reed was a distinctly Tiger-driven move. The fairly decent relationship between them is pretty well-documented, and I wonder if Tiger, having gone through his self-inflicted time of being the object of popular ire, doesn't view himself in some sense as a mentor to see Reed through his own issues.

That isn't to say that playing on the national team is the best way to accomplish that task, certainly. But I wonder if that isn't a factor in Tiger's choosing of Reed, and that Captain Stricker, for instance, wouldn't have the same inclination.

• Like 3

On 12/9/2019 at 7:35 AM, MattF said:

Summer?  What's that? 🥶

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, JohnSmalls said:

Summer?  What's that? 🥶

I’ve heard this term in the past. I hear it’s when weather is warm 🤪

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JohnSmalls said:

Summer?  What's that? 🥶

I'm sure you've seen that yellow sphere in the sky that makes things hotter...it'll come back at some stage, I think.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MattF said:

I'm sure you've seen that yellow sphere in the sky that makes things hotter...it'll come back at some stage, I think.

Sure it will. April.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

With 5 groups on the course, how are they going to show every group and still show every one of Tiger's shots?

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

With 5 groups on the course, how are they going to show every group and still show every one of Tiger's shots?

It’s a puzzlement

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy