TESTERS WANTED! ×

Manufacturer fittings/reviews

RookieBlue7

I see that the site and the "staff" spies are branching out into more diverse areas of the game/manufacturers. Now, I've noticed that a few select "staffers" are being fitted for clubs by the manufacturers themselves. I love this feature for the site, as it gives us an in depth view of what goes on in the minds of the fitters assigned to the manufacturers that are uber-familiar with the product and how it reacts to swing types, speeds, etc. I'd love to see more of these types of in depth articles on the processes, thoughts, etc.

Oh, and if you guys ever need a guinea pig for one of them (Adams golf product maybe?) feel free to volunteer me.... (Hey, can't blame a guy for trying right?)

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• SPY VIP

Thanks for the feedback RookieBlue. This year there will be all kinds of new stuff going on...trying to add features and posts that everyone likes but still sticking to what the site has always been about (equipment).

Now...in regards to Adams they are a tough nut to crack. I have had conversations with them and their PR team it seems like a hundred times. And it seems as though the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing more often then not. They don't seem to understand the forums/blogs...hell PR for that matter as well as the other big companies. Even their outside PR company is baffled by their lack of involvement. But we will continue to try that is for sure.

#TruthDigest

• SPY VIP

I think they have put out some of the best products in the past few years with their drivers and recent irons. And we have covered them quite often...but they still do not seem to be too concerned one way or the other. Odd situation to be honest.

#TruthDigest

My thing with them is that they market very little, yet testing shows that their clubs, especially the drivers and hybrids, are some of, if not the longest out there. They're also very accurate as well. They do it without altering the shaft length very much too (45.5 is their driver standard). Their hybrids appear on tour more than any other. The fairways are darn good too, but the biggest and best product in their lines are, by far, the fairways and drivers. The 9015d, I'd venture, has possibly the largest cult following since Titleist's 975J. It's still a great driver, and with the time that's elapsed since it's release, still a very viable product in the uber competitive market. Yet they continue to market their product very little.

I play their product, so I already know a lot about it. I have tour issued combos (cb2/cb1) in my bag. Have their hybrids as well. I had their driver and still own a few. I'm trying to buy my old 9032 back from the guy I sold it to, matter of fact. I recently pulled their super hybrid in favor of a different 3 wood.

Honestly, the only areas where they're lacking is the wedge department (just wished they'd offer the tour only raw Pugellis). Their putter department got a huge boost with the acquisition of Yes! And I look forward to seeing what that brings to the table from them.

That said, you never see anything from them other than generic marketing. They have no presence other than standard ads with general info. They've made no big splash like others have. Could you see the hype around an ad that said something to the effect of "longer than TaylorMade (or callaway, titleist, name your company here) without making clubs unplayable". I know their owner probably is more classy than that, but sometimes guerilla marketing is needed for exposure to take you from tier 2 to tier 1 status. They're on the cusp, they just need the word out more.

I can't tell you how many times I've got strange looks about bagging their product because of the old stereotype from when they were introduced. Right until I let someone hit the clubs. Then they're wowed. No one knows though, because of the old stigma that hasn't been corrected because of the lack of marketing. Their irons, IMO, are as solid as any on the market. No one knows though. They have to do something so they are on people's tongues when they're talking equipment. If nothing else, marketing strategies like that make people try your product because they want to prove it wrong. I have a feeling consumers would be pleasantly surprised at the results if they'd try it versus their big 3 brand club.

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• 1 month later...

Another company that may, very well, be inclined to work with the site on a fitting like the Callaway (more likely if you mention Callaway did it after seeing their ads this year) is TaylorMade. I know they did fittings, 10 at each of the two Kingdom locations, for the other site. They might not do that many for here because the user #'s are less than that other site, but they might do 1 or 2 at each location.

I'd even volunteer to be one for them at Reynolds Bend. LOL

In The Bag

I've been talking to the guys at the TaylorMade Performance Labs about reviewing their custom fitting. Should know sometime this week if it's going to happen. (sounds like it would be at their San Diego location)

Eh, see if you can talk them into a fitting at each location at least. I know they flew 10 guys to each location at that other site, provided air fare, accomodations, etc. It'd be nice to see the differences at each location for those of us that would be considering a Kingdom fitting, as to which is the best to go to.

In The Bag

Just wondering if MGS has any partners or equivalent that does this kind of great job in Europe? Or arrange some fitting/reviews from players outside the US?

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

• SPY VIP

Can you provide more detail about what you are referring to and I will happy to let you know.

Just wondering if MGS has any partners or equivalent that does this kind of great job in Europe? Or arrange some fitting/reviews from players outside the US?

#TruthDigest

I meant something like... the same way MGS contacts OEM's for reviews or fitting, if it would be possible to do that in Europe as well (since most of them have HQ's in Europe)

Of course, it would only make sense if there are enough people in the community at MGS that live in Europe.

But if the OEM's in the USA are doing it, why should they do something that already exists?

I'm assuming they would only be interested if there was a local MGS-ish type of blog/forum in a local language to avoid being redundant.

LOL, nevermind... I don't even know what I'm trying to say :D

:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

I definitely like fitting reviews and would also like to see Adams.

Try to throw a bone to the non-OEMs though and build a set from one of the component manufacturers. You get way more customization as far as head, shaft, and grip choices. Also, each of the component sites has their own way to fit you based on your swing speed, ball flight, distance, and preference to heavier/lighter clubs and swingweight.

Speaking from personal experience and having been fitted for OEMs in the past, I can say having the objective data about components from various manufacturers to choose what is right for you is definitely superior to custom fitting for a specific brand. It definitely takes more time and you'll probably have to buy a swing speed meter, but the end result is worth it. Plus, since buying from component manufacturers is cheaper, you can readjust your clubs as your game improves without breaking the bank.

I definitely like fitting reviews and would also like to see Adams.

Try to throw a bone to the non-OEMs though and build a set from one of the component manufacturers. You get way more customization as far as head, shaft, and grip choices. Also, each of the component sites has their own way to fit you based on your swing speed, ball flight, distance, and preference to heavier/lighter clubs and swingweight.

Speaking from personal experience and having been fitted for OEMs in the past, I can say having the objective data about components from various manufacturers to choose what is right for you is definitely superior to custom fitting for a specific brand. It definitely takes more time and you'll probably have to buy a swing speed meter, but the end result is worth it. Plus, since buying from component manufacturers is cheaper, you can readjust your clubs as your game improves without breaking the bank.

So which one do you work for? Oh, and the speed sticks are hardly accurate.

In The Bag

I don't work for any golf company, component or OEM, just like I don't assume you work for Adams because you mention you like their clubs.

For measuring SS, I use the medicus power meter. It's pretty accurate. I've compared it to the numbers I've gotten during a few different lessons and they're pretty spot on.

Here's a list of component manufacturers I looked at before I built my set. In the end, my choice came down to looks:

Golfworks: They system called the "Maltby Playability Factor" for choosing shaft and heads. They also teach classes for golf club fitting based on their system

Hireko: They have a DSFI fitting system for choosing shafts.

Wishon: They advocate a similar style club fitting as was done for the Callaway review

KZG: Apparently they also have a fitting process, but I couldn't find any info about how much their clubs actually cost.

There are other manufacturers (SMT, MG Golf, Golfworks), but they didn't seem to have any fitting systems.

Europe here .. and please yes .. I always get frustrated every freebie, every thing you can win, every dot dot dot on golf forums is always restricted to US citizens only .. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh

Don't now how many Europeans on this board? Maybe we should speak up more ?!

But I wouldn't go as far as to make subgroups in local languages, I'd say keep it in English because otherwise we will cut the European contingent up in too many small blocks.

I meant something like... the same way MGS contacts OEM's for reviews or fitting, if it would be possible to do that in Europe as well (since most of them have HQ's in Europe)

Of course, it would only make sense if there are enough people in the community at MGS that live in Europe.

But if the OEM's in the USA are doing it, why should they do something that already exists?

I'm assuming they would only be interested if there was a local MGS-ish type of blog/forum in a local language to avoid being redundant.

LOL, nevermind... I don't even know what I'm trying to say :D

In custom James Stewart golfbag:
Ping Tour-S Rustique 60/TS & 55/13 / Ping CFS Stiff / Ping ID8
Ping i20 4-PW+UW / Ping CFS Stiff / Ping ID8
Ping G15 2H 17° & driver 9° / stiff aldila serrano / ping 703
Odyssey White Hot XG 2-Ball / 33" / 2°up
Srixon AD333 - Oakley Flack Jacket XLJ G30

Europe here .. and please yes .. I always get frustrated every freebie, every thing you can win, every dot dot dot on golf forums is always restricted to US citizens only .. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh

Don't now how many Europeans on this board? Maybe we should speak up more ?!

But I wouldn't go as far as to make subgroups in local languages, I'd say keep it in English because otherwise we will cut the European contingent up in too many small blocks.

Exactly my point!

Keeping it in English is a good idea, but maybe MGS can give their readers in Europe some love via their contacts with the OEM's?

Archived