Middler

The Most Dibolical Putting Drill I've Ever Seen!

If there's a tougher drill, I haven't see it...

Lots of nifty quick drills on the PuttOUT site.

Edited by Middler

you mean the part where you have to end the ball in the corner of the circle where there isn't a ball?

If that's the case, I do that all the time with my BirdieBall putting green.  I even try and stymie balls in front of the cup, to see if I can putt around it and roll it in the side pocket.

Lots of different drills to try to increase accuracy with this thing.

56 minutes ago, GSwag said:

you mean the part where you have to end the ball in the corner of the circle where there isn't a ball?

If that's the case, I do that all the time with my BirdieBall putting green.  I even try and stymie balls in front of the cup, to see if I can putt around it and roll it in the side pocket.

Lots of different drills to try to increase accuracy with this thing.

No. Starting with no balls in the 4¼ circle and putting 4 balls into it without pushing any out in the process...

15 minutes ago, Middler said:

No. Starting with no balls in the 4¼ circle and putting 4 balls into it without pushing any out in the process...

ok, yeah, that too.  I do that drill all of the time.

7 hours ago, GSwag said:

ok, yeah, that too.  I do that drill all of the time.

I’m impressed. I doubt I could get two in the circle much less four...

9 hours ago, Middler said:

I’m impressed. I doubt I could get two in the circle much less four...

It's not hard when it's a straight putt on a flat surface, indoors.  And honestly, it doesn't help me on the regular course, because once you throw in breaks and natural conditions and green speeds, all bets are off.

• Like 1

Lots of good putting drills. Obviously with any drill you have to understand the purpose. The one in the OP is about startline and being able to control speed. If the 4 putts are the same length it isn’t that hard. So that with 4 different length putts and you have upped the difficulty.

Here is one I want to try; a twist on the ladder drill

Lots of good drills on that Instagram page

14 minutes ago, GSwag said:

It's not hard when it's a straight putt on a flat surface, indoors.  And honestly, it doesn't help me on the regular course, because once you throw in breaks and natural conditions and green speeds, all bets are off.

You hit the nail on the head. These putting mats can be fun and way to relieve boredom I suppose. But they're not real. I could probably train a chimp to become a better putter on a mat. (no offence to dogs or cats) But Like Swag said, all bets are off out on the course on real greens. Like Harvey Penick talked about - never practice the same putt more than once from the same position. You'll never ever get that same exact putt again. So why practice that way?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GSwag said:

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Lots of good putting drills. Obviously with any drill you have to understand the purpose. The one in the OP is about startline and being able to control speed. If the 4 putts are the same length it isn’t that hard. So that with 4 different length putts and you have upped the difficulty.

I’m about to buy a Wellputt mat and a Puttout Pressure Putt to practice at home over the winter when I can’t get out as much.I realize it’s not ideal but it might help with two of three putting skills - alignment and distance but not read. Turns out the Wellputt mat is the same Stimp as my home course - we’ll see.

I agree hitting the same length putt over and over isn’t useful, when I practice putt outdoors I only use 1 ball because that’s what I face on course - one chance to get line, distance and break right. Most players I know practice the same putt with 2-3 balls.

I plan to mix it up as much as possible indoors and it appears Wellputt and Puttout provide good ideas along those lines. Thanks for your thoughts.

Edited by Middler
  • Like 1

I’m about to buy a Wellputt mat and a Puttout Pressure Putt to practice at home over the winter when I can’t get out as much.

Download the Wellputt app, it has skill level drills for each mat.

3 hours ago, cnosil said:

Download the Wellputt app, it has skill level drills for each mat.

I downloaded and looked at it today, looks interesting. Should make using the Wellputt mat more fun (so I won’t lose interest quickly?) and hopefully more productive. Looking forward to receiving it, cleared space in our bonus room already.

That and the PuttOUT PP should keep me busy.

Edited by Middler
  • Like 1