TESTERS WANTED! ×

Thom

The fitter specd 1 inch longer shafts to my new irons stating that this would allow me to have a more upright posture to make a freer turn. I am 5' 6" and have pretty short arms. I now have to choke up on all my irons to keep from hitting them fat. We never talked about any increase in shaft length. Everything I have read seems to say I need at least 1/2" shorter. He also did my driver which he made 1" shorter. Any thoughts?

Edited by Thom
was not clear

1 hour ago, Thom said:

The fitter added 1 inch of length to all my irons stating that this would allow me to have a more upright posture to make a freer turn. I am 5' 6" and have pretty short arms. I now have to choke up on all my irons to keep from hitting them fat. We never talked about any increase in shaft length. Everything I have read seems to say I need at least 1/2" shorter. He also did my driver which he made 1" shorter. Any thoughts?

Did you hit the longer irons during the fitting. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

There a few considerations when determining length of a golf club for a golfer.

assuming an 1" over standard, would require a fairly flat swing.

I am hope you hit that length to have actual experience hitting the club.

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

1 hour ago, Thom said:

They are 1" longer than my old irons

If your old irons were 1" too short for you, then it makes sense.  However, making them longer won't give you a more upright swing... that takes a swing change.  Longer irons with your height will give you a very flat swing arc.  That's OK, if that's what your swing is, but the lie angle of the irons will need to be more flat.

I don't know all the details of your fitter's analysis, but his reasoning doesn't make sense to me.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Step back? But I guess check out the lie if the club when you do swing it. Find some tape to see if it's uniform across or not.

:cobra-small: LTDx LS 9*D,  HZRDUS Green HC 60g 6.0, 45" 4g + 12g weight 
:cobra-small: King LTD @ 14.5* HZRDUS Blue 70g 6.0, 42.5"
:cobra-small: King LTD  @ 17.5*, HZRDUS Blue 70g 6.0, 4
0.5"/ :cobra-small: 2022 Utility Iron 2 @ 17*, Ventus Black 10x, 39.25"

:cobra-small: 2022 Utility Iron 4 OL @ 20* Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36"
wishon.png.f487cdf69e368c89461d72fa6fc7bbe4.pngEQ1-NX OL 5i-PW Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36
"

Cobra SBOL 48*, 52*, 56* Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36"
OIP.jpg.04da427c8e36dc0d247492fdfa8569f6.jpgC-Series DW Armlock

Vice Pro Plus

• 5 months later...

Interesting, to say the least !

Why would a fitter meddle with your golf swing ?   Is he qualified to give such advice ?

Sounds to me, either you're trying to stir up some discussion or this so called fitter got out of the line of his expertise.     However, I had seen stranger things happen, so if, this change works for you then no one should tell you otherwise.   However, if this lengthening for a shorter person ( opposite of the conventional way ), gives you no good result, then it's simple to make your own judgement ?

Edited by release

Iron length has little correlation to your height and is more predicated on your wrist to floor measurement as arm length varies on everyone.  I had a guy who was well over 6’3” tall but his arms were so long, he needed 1” shorter!  The irons mat very well be the proper length BUT it sounds like the lie angles were left alone.  Adding the inch changes the specs enough so that could be the reason you’re hitting them fat. Get them checked first, see if it makes a difference. If not, your fitter blew it. 

Professional club maker/club fitter, retired

Founding member, former President, International Clubmakers Guild

What's your wrist to floor and the length of the 5i he made for you?

Have you ever been told you have a flat or in to out swing? Did you used to struggle with tops, blocks to right (righty), upward angle of attack in irons and/or hooks/overdraws?

The advice about putting impact tape on the sole and checking lie is good advice. You can do that with masking tape as well on a range mat (if you dont have impact tape and a lie board), it just takes more swings. The sharpie "line test" is also a good way to validate lie, that one is explained on YouTube.

Edited by Grit Golf

“He’s a Cinderella story. A former assistant groundskeeper about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!” — Carl Spackler