TESTERS WANTED! ×

Why Wilson Lauch Pad irons are a good thing for golf

Grand Stranded

Even though I’m not sure they are the right set of irons for me, I was really happy to see the Wilson Launch Pad irons featured in a First Look article here today.

Not because of their design, in fact, I can’t remember seeing such a blatant copy of another company’s product, in this case the Launcher HB. Take away the company logos, and you wouldn’t be able to tell them apart. Even the names are similar, Launch Pad and Launcher. 

Obviously, there’s not a lot of innovation going on here either. I mentioned Cleveland, they’ve been making this same set for years, and have carved out a nice little niche doing it. Tour Edge has done it also, and their model is selling at a lower price then Cleveland.

So you might be asking, why was I so happy to hear about these Launch Pad irons if I don’t think they’ll be right for me, and they seem exactly like a model that’s been around for years? Simple. It’s the price point.

As mentioned, Cleveland has been very successful with this line, and the consumer is now paying for that. Their new Turbo line is retailing at $899 for a 7 club set. The Tour Edge are cheaper, I’m sure, but their name doesn’t have the cache needed to compete in my opinion. They are looked at as a second tier company, and are not as readily available in stores.

The Wilson name easily carries the same weight as does Cleveland when it comes to irons however. In fact their history blows most companies away. That’s great, but all things being equal, I think most would go with Cleveland when buying this type of set, only because they’ve been doing it longer. All things aren’t equal however. The Wilson’s will retail at least $100 cheaper per set, maybe more. They also seem to have a better stock shaft in both the steel and graphite versions.

So props to Wilson. Good luck with these, I hope you sell so many, Cleveland has to lower their price to compete. Hopefully other companies take note, lower their prices to try to carve out a bigger share of the market also. Do I think that will happen? Probably not, but I’ll try my best to support companies like Wilson who are willing to battle for more share at a lower price whenever I can.

Edited by Grand Stranded

Driver:          :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:      :ping-small: G425 Max 14*5* & 17.5*

Hybrids:      :ping-small: G425 Max 22* & 26*

Irons:           :callaway-small: Apex DCB 6-AW

Wedges:      :callaway-small: Jaws Raw Face 54-10

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 58-6

Putter:         :EVNROLL:  ER7  34”

I have seen one set of the Cleveland’s in the wild and it was an internet golfer. I know the Cleveland/Srixon rep in this area and he rarely even carries this line for demo.

now for Wilson I see very few of their clubs in the wild. They also lack a retail presence that would show off their product. Wilson has a a long legacy in golf but they also have a reputation as a Walmart box set and cheap. Their market share in the iron market is around 1-2% on the high side.

For the non internet golfer tour use plays a role in their purchases as does advertising and to an extent ego. These looking like hybrids and zero tour use will be a hard sell. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

As much as I hate it, Ricky is right about the brand stigma and lack of availability. And I love W/S gear. But I need to drive 1 hour to get my hands on a set to demo them. Why would someone who can hit almost every other major OEM 10 minutes away do that? 

Wilson Staff is a completely different line than Wilson, yet the two always get (unfairly) compared for some reason. Is it the name similarity? I don't know. But you don't ever hear anyone bashing Callaway as a cheap box brand because of Strata sets. It's confounding for me (and I'm guessing for W/S as well) but it's a reality for one reason or another. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

36 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

As much as I hate it, Ricky is right about the brand stigma and lack of availability. And I love W/S gear. But I need to drive 1 hour to get my hands on a set to demo them. Why would someone who can hit almost every other major OEM 10 minutes away do that? 

Wilson Staff is a completely different line than Wilson, yet the two always get (unfairly) compared for some reason. Is it the name similarity? I don't know. But you don't ever hear anyone bashing Callaway as a cheap box brand because of Strata sets. It's confounding for me (and I'm guessing for W/S as well) but it's a reality for one reason or another. 

It probably doesn’t help Wilson that while they have kept the W/S logo all their branding has changed to Wilson Golf so that differentiation between the box sets under Wilson and the Wilson Staff being their more “marquee” product is now gone and hard to separate the two. 

Wilson used to have something similar thing iin baseball a decade back with the A2000 gloves. They had an a2k that wasn’t as good as the a2000 l. They’ve shifted that recently to a2000 being a higher end product still and the a2k being the “high end” product and using the best of the best materials with limited amount of their finished materials making the cut to be used for this glove line.   

Unfortunately in today’s market The name Wilson in golf doesn’t carry the same prestige for the casual or newish golfer that is does for those that have been around the game or it’s history for awhile. Also despite being a large company with products on a lot of sports their golf marketing budget isn’t big enough to compete with the big boys and for whatever reason they lag behind Cobra in sales and Cobra is another brand that has the cheap moniker associated with it from its days under the titleist brand.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

I think the bigger story is that Wilson, along with Cobra launched this style of iron this year because they work.  Tour Edge and Cleveland have been selling these things for years and I have been gaming the Launchers for 2 years and just upgraded to the new Launcher Turbo irons a couple of months ago.  I don't see the mainstream golf companies following Cobras single length lead so I am guessing this type of chunky, hollow bodied irons are making a dent out there while the single length irons are not.

I get that these aren't for everyone but I'd wager good money that 80% of golfers would benefit by gaming this type of iron in the 4, 5 and 6 slots.  As long as I do that my scores stay the same.  If I remove the 4, 5 and 6 Launchers and play standard cavity backs my handicap goes from 8 right back to 13. 

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

13 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

I think the bigger story is that Wilson, along with Cobra launched this style of iron this year because they work.  Tour Edge and Cleveland have been selling these things for years and I have been gaming the Launchers for 2 years and just upgraded to the new Launcher Turbo irons a couple of months ago.  I don't see the mainstream golf companies following Cobras single length lead so I am guessing this type of chunky, hollow bodied irons are making a dent out there while the single length irons are not.

I get that these aren't for everyone but I'd wager good money that 80% of golfers would benefit by gaming this type of iron in the 4, 5 and 6 slots.  As long as I do that my scores stay the same.  If I remove the 4, 5 and 6 Launchers and play standard cavity backs my handicap goes from 8 right back to 13. 

The vast majority of golfers could benefit from lots of things like a club and ball fitting, better structured practice or even some practice compared to their current amount of practice, lessons followed by the increased practice time.

the beauty of golf is its a hobby for the large majority of golfers and its one that can be enjoyed by anyone for as long as they choose and for whatever reason they choose. For some it’s getting better, others it’s being on the course with friends and family. Others it’s buying the latest a and greatest gear every year.

cobra has had success with one length but it’s a niche product within a niche sport and the amount of time and development it takes doesn’t net a good roi for brands. Cobra spent a large amount of time with Bryson and shaft companies developing the one length. Take Bryson away from them and the market is almost non existent.

also as for cobra, Cleveland and tour edge their market share combined in irons is probably 10% at best. 

3 minutes ago, Middler said:

It’s too bad, I loved my W/S RM Midsize irons for many years, and I remember when they were a top brand. But Wilson destroyed their good reputation during the big box years. It’s going to take a long time to make a name for themselves again for some buyers, self included. Last time I bought a driver the fitter asked me to try a Wilson C300 driver - the red color alone made it a no go for me. I hope Wilson is able to restore their good name, but it won’t be easy.

If it wasn’t for the boxed sets Wilson golf would have died off as a brand and would be like many of the old brands that no longer exist. They have a huge mountain to overcome 

As far as the Launch Pad goes - agree this is a good trend for golf. These things - and the Clevelands - are so freaking easy to hit it's almost like cheating. As far as a copy goes - similar to isn't the same as copy of. Then again, there are only so many ways to make a hollow-body, wide-soled iron. The ass end has to be dark in order to keep it from being too distracting at address, and you need to keep the profile relatively low to make sure the CG gets as low as possible so the target golfer can get the ball up in the air. No matter what you do, they're going to wind up looking similar. 

That said, man, do these things launch high, and the 4-iron might be the most fun to hit golf club I've ever tried. I was actually giggling at the heated range over in Hampton the other day, to the point where the guy next to me asked if I was okay. I handed him the club and he started giggling too after a few swings. 

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

If I wanted to make a splash in the marketplace, I'd offer something that looked less busy and more elegant than what the other OEMs are offering. Then I'd conduct a really formal and snobbish looking ad campaign that matched the elegance of the product.

There's an underserved elite market looking to separate themselves from populist trends in golf.  Somebody needs to replace the old Kenneth Smith company which did exactly that. 

1 hour ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

Looks like it's tine to dust off this series of articles from Dec. 2014/Jan 2015 on the state of Wilson at that time.  First articles I ever wrote for MGS. It gives you some background as to where Wilson was, how it got there, how bad the mid-2000's were and how it started a climb back to relevance. I'm working on an update to the story now...hope to get it published by the end of the year. 

Part 1: https://mygolfspy.com/how-the-wilson-staff-empire-crumbled/

Part 2: https://mygolfspy.com/rebuilding-wilson-golf/

Part 3: https://mygolfspy.com/so-what-now-wilson/

As for where the company stands today - won't give away too much but the biggest thing in my mind as back when these stories were written, very few people considered Wilson relevant in the world of premium golf equipment, and they were virtually nowhere when it came to discussions on any forum, not just our own. Today, 5 years later, they're most certainly relevant in the irons discussion - Wilson's irons are as good as anyone's, and Driver Vs. Driver did what it was supposed to do (it was never about the driver), get people talking about the brand. Their irons market share is around 3%, but this year they've outsold their projections for the Staff Model blades (which took about a month), and have their biggest success in years with the D7 irons and metal woods. They're looking at doing something new and different with putters, although they're not sure quite what yet (and if they are, they're not telling me🙄), and have a few more releases coming up in the next month or so that should prove to be interesting. 

It's really, really hard for a Challenger Brand - be it Wilson, Srixon, Bridgestone, Honma, you name it - to grow substantially in market share. If Wilson has a 3% market share and experiences double digit growth every year for 5 years, where does that get it? Let's presume in 2014 they were a $120 million dollar company. 5 years of 10% growth would make it around a $180 to $200 million company - and most any company on the planet in a mature industry would LOVE 10% growth five years in a row - but think about what has to happen to achieve 10% growth year over year. 

In my travels I've seen a noticeable uptick in retail presence for Wilson. PGATour Superstore features the entire line, as do all the Worldwide Golf stores among others. The brand is definitely in a better place today than 5 years ago...and the new ownership has some definite ideas for growth, particularly in Asia. 

That's enough - I don't want to give up too much of the upcoming article!  😎

While percentages are great talking points for brands I’m curious to see actual numbers. I’m pretty sure their projections are much lower than a Callaway, Titleist, TaylorMade. I know Cleveland/Srixon has claimed to exceed their projections for many years in a row but their projections are quite low compared to the brands. 

Ive heard stories that they sold more than expected on the Cortex but at the same time reading across multiple golf outlets there are stores/accounts that sold 1 or none and still had wrapping on all the heads in stock months after the release.

1 hour ago, NiftyNiblick said:

If I wanted to make a splash in the marketplace, I'd offer something that looked less busy and more elegant than what the other OEMs are offering. Then I'd conduct a really formal and snobbish looking ad campaign that matched the elegance of the product.

There's an underserved elite market looking to separate themselves from populist trends in golf.  Somebody needs to replace the old Kenneth Smith company which did exactly that. 

Every brand has a traditional style club. The goal of brands is to sell clubs and having purely an old school blade is a small share of the market which would put a brand looking to be elite in a small niche ala PXG, Miura and other high end brands. So what you are asking for exists at various levels but also at a time when everyone is trying to figure out a way to grow the game brands are going to find ways to sell making the game easier.

Instead if the constant trolling why don’t you go ahead and start that kind of company and see what kind of splash it makes.

3 hours ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

The brand is definitely in a better place today than 5 years ago...and the new ownership has some definite ideas for growth, particularly in Asia. 

That's enough - I don't want to give up too much of the upcoming article!

As a current Wilson irons player I look forward to the article.  I'm not sure what their growth plans are, but I would think they don't necessarily have to aim to be the top selling golf brand again; just a profitable one.

I've never hit any irons like the Launch Pad.  I don't have issue getting the ball airborne so I'm not really the target golfer.  I'd still like to have a go with a set.

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Instead if the constant trolling why don’t you go ahead and start that kind of company and see what kind of splash it makes.

If a post that isn't directly addressed to me is of no interest to me, I just ignore it and read something else that I find more interesting.

Frankly, i don't think you have a clue about the old Kenneth-Smith company and the kind of customization that they offered. I didn't say anything about blades. 

4 hours ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

Looks like it's tine to dust off this series of articles from Dec. 2014/Jan 2015 on the state of Wilson at that time.  First articles I ever wrote for MGS. It gives you some background as to where Wilson was, how it got there, how bad the mid-2000's were and how it started a climb back to relevance. I'm working on an update to the story now...hope to get it published by the end of the year. 

Part 1: https://mygolfspy.com/how-the-wilson-staff-empire-crumbled/

Part 2: https://mygolfspy.com/rebuilding-wilson-golf/

Part 3: https://mygolfspy.com/so-what-now-wilson/

As for where the company stands today - won't give away too much but the biggest thing in my mind as back when these stories were written, very few people considered Wilson relevant in the world of premium golf equipment, and they were virtually nowhere when it came to discussions on any forum, not just our own. Today, 5 years later, they're most certainly relevant in the irons discussion - Wilson's irons are as good as anyone's, and Driver Vs. Driver did what it was supposed to do (it was never about the driver), get people talking about the brand. Their irons market share is around 3%, but this year they've outsold their projections for the Staff Model blades (which took about a month), and have their biggest success in years with the D7 irons and metal woods. They're looking at doing something new and different with putters, although they're not sure quite what yet (and if they are, they're not telling me🙄), and have a few more releases coming up in the next month or so that should prove to be interesting. 

It's really, really hard for a Challenger Brand - be it Wilson, Srixon, Bridgestone, Honma, you name it - to grow substantially in market share. If Wilson has a 3% market share and experiences double digit growth every year for 5 years, where does that get it? Let's presume in 2014 they were a $120 million dollar company. 5 years of 10% growth would make it around a $180 to $200 million company - and most any company on the planet in a mature industry would LOVE 10% growth five years in a row - but think about what has to happen to achieve 10% growth year over year. 

In my travels I've seen a noticeable uptick in retail presence for Wilson. PGATour Superstore features the entire line, as do all the Worldwide Golf stores among others. The brand is definitely in a better place today than 5 years ago...and the new ownership has some definite ideas for growth, particularly in Asia. 

That's enough - I don't want to give up too much of the upcoming article!  😎

Reread the article a month or two ago and was hoping there would be an update.  Looking forward to what Wilson has been up to!  Thanks for the great articles @GolfSpy Barbajo

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

If a post that isn't directly addressed to me is of no interest to me, I just ignore it and read something else that I find more interesting.

Great thing about public forums all comments are open and free to be commented on even if not directly addressed at a person. 

3 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

While percentages are great talking points for brands I’m curious to see actual numbers. I’m pretty sure their projections are much lower than a Callaway, Titleist, TaylorMade. I know Cleveland/Srixon has claimed to exceed their projections for many years in a row but their projections are quite low compared to the brands. 

Ive heard stories that they sold more than expected on the Cortex but at the same time reading across multiple golf outlets there are stores/accounts that sold 1 or none and still had wrapping on all the heads in stock months after the release.

Wilson's projections much lower than Callaway, et al? Well, uh, yeah...

Projections are important in business, because that impacts inventory, buying patterns, cash outlay and all that grown up stuff. Exceeding projections always sounds good, but it's actually a major pain in the ass. First off,  you have customers who may really want to buy your stuff but can't because you can't supply it, and if it's a mission critical item (golf clubs probably aren't, but people want it when they want it), they're going to buy what they can get. Second, credibility takes a hit, especially when you sell through an outlet - Srixon had that problem with the Z-65 series came out to great fanfare a few years ago. Everyone loved the irons, so much so that the retail sell out blew away anything they had projected, and they were stuck with a serious backorder problem that annoyed their retailers - pretty soon they had a bit of a reputation as a company that couldn't deliver. It's not just a matter of we'll make more - you have to wait to expedite orders, if you can - and if you're not one of the really big players, getting a factory to say "how high" when you say "jump" is an exercise in futility. 

If you want actual numbers, don't bother comparing them to Callaway or Taylormade, there's no point. Callaway - and Acushnet/Titleist, for that matter - is a billion dollar entity, with profitable apparel divisions and other business units. They're also publicly traded. Wilson's new ownership is a private enterprise, but one with some ambition. The new ownership group include ANTA Sportwear - China's largest sports apparel manufacturer - and Chip Wilson, the billionaire founder of Lululemon. The word is they want all of the Amer Sports brand, including Wilson, to grow. 

Here's the link to the article on the Amer Sports sale...

https://mygolfspy.com/chinese-group-to-buy-wilson-golf-owner-amer-sports/

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

On 12/11/2019 at 5:56 AM, RickyBobby_PR said:

I have seen one set of the Cleveland’s in the wild and it was an internet golfer. I know the Cleveland/Srixon rep in this area and he rarely even carries this line for demo.

now for Wilson I see very few of their clubs in the wild. They also lack a retail presence that would show off their product. Wilson has a a long legacy in golf but they also have a reputation as a Walmart box set and cheap. Their market share in the iron market is around 1-2% on the high side.

For the non internet golfer tour use plays a role in their purchases as does advertising and to an extent ego. These looking like hybrids and zero tour use will be a hard sell. 

The Cleveland version was an excellent seller two years running.

its a great set of irons actually. I just found them too high spin, and they cost me distance. I see a bunch of guys down here play them.

On 12/11/2019 at 9:16 AM, Wedgie said:

Good post. 

One of my friends has some talent. He can hit the ball pretty far, but his ego was way to big for his 20+ hcp. 

Our pro finally got him to try a set of the Launchers last year, and his improvement was amazing. He went down to a 14-15 in a couple of months. He also bought a square strike wedge we teased him about at first, but he’s really good with that now also.

Edited by Grand Stranded

On 12/11/2019 at 11:22 AM, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

As far as the Launch Pad goes - agree this is a good trend for golf. These things - and the Clevelands - are so freaking easy to hit it's almost like cheating. As far as a copy goes - similar to isn't the same as copy of. Then again, there are only so many ways to make a hollow-body, wide-soled iron. The ass end has to be dark in order to keep it from being too distracting at address, and you need to keep the profile relatively low to make sure the CG gets as low as possible so the target golfer can get the ball up in the air. No matter what you do, they're going to wind up looking similar. 

That said, man, do these things launch high, and the 4-iron might be the most fun to hit golf club I've ever tried. I was actually giggling at the heated range over in Hampton the other day, to the point where the guy next to me asked if I was okay. I handed him the club and he started giggling too after a few swings. 

Have you had the chance to compare them to the Cleveland version?

* apologize in advance if you addressed this in the article.

1 hour ago, Grand Stranded said:

Have you had the chance to compare them to the Cleveland version?

* apologize in advance if you addressed this in the article.

No apologies necessary Grand.

I've hit them both, but did not compare them head to head. That said, some unofficial impressions:

They're remarkably similar. Both are silly easy to hit, to the point you really don't want to stop. I like the Wilson long irons a little better, they launch VERY high and go VERY far. I think distance was one of the things Cleveland tried to juice with the new Launcher HB Turbos - despite winning Most Wanted Super Game Improvement, it was not among the longest irons in the test. 

I like that Wilson is marketing the irons as a specific problem solver - a cure for the chunks. Their target is clearly the golfer who doesn't spend a lot of time on forums and they're hoping "anti-chunk" is the message that gets through. I tell you, there are day...

If I were a target golfer, I think I'd be happy with either one. Or the Cobra T-Rail.

If you hit both, or all three - let us know what you think.

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the cobra T-rail today and like I posted in another thread, they are freaking amazing if your looking to for a game improvement iron. The miss hits were good and the flush hits were fantastic. As someone who struggles with consistency I was floored by how well I hit them. They certainly thick and bulky but honestly who cares if you can play with them and improve. I’m going back for a fitting tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

DRIVER -  Ping G425 SFT Driver Tensei AV 55 Orange Reg Flex 

Woods -  Ping G425 7 wood  Tensei AV 65 Orange Reg Flex 

Irons - Cobra Rad Speed 1 Length UST Recoil 780 Smacwrap Graphite Reg Flex 

WEDGES-  Callaway jaws 52/56/60

PUTTER-  Taylormade FCG spider putter 34" 

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

I love the idea of these kinds of clubs.  I really wish they'd scale them down for kids.  US Kids clubs are nice, but a 12 year old with a SS just south of 80 can't really get a cavity back six iron off the ground yet.  She's currently choking up on her older sister's 30* hybrid until I can get a shorter one made for her.  I'd love to see a club like this for her in 30* to fill the gap between her 8 iron and her hybrid.

Anything easy to elevate and hard to chunk would be great for kids.  We try so hard to get them to hit down on the ball, then they hit one fat shot and get scared again.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I understand all the features to help an aspiring player elevate the ball.  I favor that.

I don't understand the slice compensating features, though.  closed faces...upright lie angles...all nonsense to me.

That just encourages beginners to not try harder.  No need to stop casting over the top.

Hitting from inside just isn't that hard.   It can be taught in one lesson. 

Fighting the hook was always harder for me.

1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

pretty sure we've been down this road before Nifty, but i'll repeat since you seemed to think it was necessary to bring up what many would consider a very narrow minded and closed way of thinking. 

Some people make no pretense that they want to get better and have no desire for lessons, whether it's 1 or 100.  Some just want to be able to go out and play the occassinal round of golf with friends or family and have a good time.    Clubs that are draw biased definitely serve a purpose for these players and there's not one thing wrong with it.  

Remember those of us golf forums take the game more serious than 99% of the rest of the golf population.  There are plenty of golfers out there who can benefit from offset oversized irons and drivers that won't necessarily appeal to the rest.   

Thank you for posting this.  You beat me to the punch.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

pretty sure we've been down this road before Nifty, but i'll repeat since you seemed to think it was necessary to bring up what many would consider a very narrow minded and closed way of thinking. 

Some people make no pretense that they want to get better and have no desire for lessons, whether it's 1 or 100.  Some just want to be able to go out and play the occassinal round of golf with friends or family and have a good time.    Clubs that are draw biased definitely serve a purpose for these players and there's not one thing wrong with it.  

Remember those of us golf forums take the game more serious than 99% of the rest of the golf population.  There are plenty of golfers out there who can benefit from offset oversized irons and drivers that won't necessarily appeal to the rest.   

OK, I understand what you're saying, CG2...these clubs are for casual, occasional players. I know my hangup...I was never a particularly gifted player, but I only hit slices if I hit them on purpose.  Hooks are what ate me up.

Now for a reprise of my other hangup.

Callaway Epic Forged irons.

Louisville Tony Stewart irons.

Both of these are contemporary premium models manufactured right now.

The first set has an 18º 4-iron.

The second set has a 32º 4-iron.

Nobody makes any effort to use the original numbering system that was adopted when steel shafted clubs replaced hickory shafted clubs which had names instead of club numbers.

So why still use club numbers?

The numbers make no sense whatsoever anymore.  Stamp the actual lofts and be done with it.

I think a fourteen degree span for a given club number is absolutely ludicrous.

Yet, I seem to be the only person in the world who cares.

That's harder for me to understand.

I love the idea of these kinds of clubs.  I really wish they'd scale them down for kids.  US Kids clubs are nice, but a 12 year old with a SS just south of 80 can't really get a cavity back six iron off the ground yet.  She's currently choking up on her older sister's 30* hybrid until I can get a shorter one made for her.  I'd love to see a club like this for her in 30* to fill the gap between her 8 iron and her hybrid.
Anything easy to elevate and hard to chunk would be great for kids.  We try so hard to get them to hit down on the ball, then they hit one fat shot and get scared again.
[/q

You might take a look at the Cobra T-Rail irons. The rails help with fat shots and they offer a junior shaft. I’m sure you can buy a single club.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

This is probably true.

Who cares what the club says on the bottom? It is designed to go a certain distance. All the other clubs are designed to go a different distance. I carry a phone in my pocket, it's not a phone, it's a computer that can make a call, but it is still called a phone. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

On 12/26/2019 at 11:10 AM, NiftyNiblick said:

Hitting from inside just isn't that hard.   It can be taught in one lesson. 

Fighting the hook was always harder for me.

It absolutely cannot be taught in one lesson. Wake up tomorrow and try to walk a different way than you have for the last 50 years. You will succeed for a few swings and then revert right back to the way you have always walked. 

If you fought a hook why couldn't that be fixed in one lesson??

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

3 hours ago, NiftyNiblick said:

OK, I understand what you're saying, CG2...these clubs are for casual, occasional players. I know my hangup...I was never a particularly gifted player, but I only hit slices if I hit them on purpose.  Hooks are what ate me up.

Now for a reprise of my other hangup.

Callaway Epic Forged irons.

Louisville Tony Stewart irons.

Both of these are contemporary premium models manufactured right now.

The first set has an 18º 4-iron.

The second set has a 32º 4-iron.

Nobody makes any effort to use the original numbering system that was adopted when steel shafted clubs replaced hickory shafted clubs which had names instead of club numbers.

So why still use club numbers?

The numbers make no sense whatsoever anymore.  Stamp the actual lofts and be done with it.

I think a fourteen degree span for a given club number is absolutely ludicrous.

That's harder for me to understand.

Numbers on the clubs have been changing for decades. They changed from the 60s and 70s to the 80s, 80s into late 90s and have been relatively consistent since around 97. This argument has been put to bed numerous times from staff writers and club engineers. It’s about launch windows, spin rates and land angles. As materials change, designs change and flight characteristics change. It’s what makes golf great is that as technology improves manufacturers can make various type of irons to fit every type of golfer and help golfers enjoy the game and for those who get older and swing slower to play clubs that help them get the all in the air. It’s not only club tech but ball tech and shaft technology. 

so unless you only play clubs from 1950s or earlier you have played jacked lofts too.