Why Wilson Lauch Pad irons are a good thing for golf

Our Sponsors

I love the idea of these kinds of clubs.  I really wish they'd scale them down for kids.  US Kids clubs are nice, but a 12 year old with a SS just south of 80 can't really get a cavity back six iron off the ground yet.  She's currently choking up on her older sister's 30* hybrid until I can get a shorter one made for her.  I'd love to see a club like this for her in 30* to fill the gap between her 8 iron and her hybrid.

Anything easy to elevate and hard to chunk would be great for kids.  We try so hard to get them to hit down on the ball, then they hit one fat shot and get scared again.

• Like 2

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
2 Iron - :mizuno-small: FliHi (18*) - Recoil 760 ( S )
4i - GW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
SW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :srixon-small: Z-Star XV
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

pretty sure we've been down this road before Nifty, but i'll repeat since you seemed to think it was necessary to bring up what many would consider a very narrow minded and closed way of thinking. 

Looks like it's tine to dust off this series of articles from Dec. 2014/Jan 2015 on the state of Wilson at that time.  First articles I ever wrote for MGS. It gives you some background as to where Wil

And yet another topic that starts out great about new clubs & tech that helps make the game more enjoyable gets derailed with gibberish that's already been disproved countless times. 

I understand all the features to help an aspiring player elevate the ball.  I favor that.

I don't understand the slice compensating features, though.  closed faces...upright lie angles...all nonsense to me.

That just encourages beginners to not try harder.  No need to stop casting over the top.

Hitting from inside just isn't that hard.   It can be taught in one lesson. 

Fighting the hook was always harder for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

pretty sure we've been down this road before Nifty, but i'll repeat since you seemed to think it was necessary to bring up what many would consider a very narrow minded and closed way of thinking. 

Some people make no pretense that they want to get better and have no desire for lessons, whether it's 1 or 100.  Some just want to be able to go out and play the occassinal round of golf with friends or family and have a good time.    Clubs that are draw biased definitely serve a purpose for these players and there's not one thing wrong with it.  

Remember those of us golf forums take the game more serious than 99% of the rest of the golf population.  There are plenty of golfers out there who can benefit from offset oversized irons and drivers that won't necessarily appeal to the rest.   

Thank you for posting this.  You beat me to the punch.

• Like 4

2020 MGS Hard Rock Challenge

SkyCaddie SX400
OGIO Silencer:  Followed by Arccos
:cobra-small: F9 TL, Atmos TS Blue
:nike-small: Vapor Fly 3, Diamana Blue, Covert 2.0 3H, Kuro Kage Black
:wilson-small:
Wilson D7 Irons 4-GW,  Dynamic Gold AMT
:ping-small: Glide  52, 56 ES
:EVNROLL: ER2
:bridgestone-small: BXS

Romans 10:9

1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Some people make no pretense that they want to get better and have no desire for lessons, whether it's 1 or 100.  Some just want to be able to go out and play the occassinal round of golf with friends or family and have a good time.    Clubs that are draw biased definitely serve a purpose for these players and there's not one thing wrong with it.  

Remember those of us golf forums take the game more serious than 99% of the rest of the golf population.  There are plenty of golfers out there who can benefit from offset oversized irons and drivers that won't necessarily appeal to the rest.   

OK, I understand what you're saying, CG2...these clubs are for casual, occasional players. I know my hangup...I was never a particularly gifted player, but I only hit slices if I hit them on purpose.  Hooks are what ate me up.

Now for a reprise of my other hangup.

Callaway Epic Forged irons.

Louisville Tony Stewart irons.

Both of these are contemporary premium models manufactured right now.

The first set has an 18º 4-iron.

The second set has a 32º 4-iron.

Nobody makes any effort to use the original numbering system that was adopted when steel shafted clubs replaced hickory shafted clubs which had names instead of club numbers.

So why still use club numbers?

The numbers make no sense whatsoever anymore.  Stamp the actual lofts and be done with it.

I think a fourteen degree span for a given club number is absolutely ludicrous.

Yet, I seem to be the only person in the world who cares.

That's harder for me to understand.

15 minutes ago, NiftyNiblick said:

OK, I understand what you're saying, CG2...these clubs are for casual, occasional players. 

No. Just... No. 

• Like 4

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* Tour AD BB 6X
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 49F - 54S - 59D
Putter ?????
:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

SuperSpeed Forum Tester
Initial Driver Speed on Provided Monitor: 109 MPH

I love the idea of these kinds of clubs.  I really wish they'd scale them down for kids.  US Kids clubs are nice, but a 12 year old with a SS just south of 80 can't really get a cavity back six iron off the ground yet.  She's currently choking up on her older sister's 30* hybrid until I can get a shorter one made for her.  I'd love to see a club like this for her in 30* to fill the gap between her 8 iron and her hybrid.
Anything easy to elevate and hard to chunk would be great for kids.  We try so hard to get them to hit down on the ball, then they hit one fat shot and get scared again.
[/q

You might take a look at the Cobra T-Rail irons. The rails help with fat shots and they offer a junior shaft. I’m sure you can buy a single club.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-G

:cleveland-small: - CBX 52 and 56

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

1 hour ago, NiftyNiblick said:

This is probably true.

Who cares what the club says on the bottom? It is designed to go a certain distance. All the other clubs are designed to go a different distance. I carry a phone in my pocket, it's not a phone, it's a computer that can make a call, but it is still called a phone. 

• Like 8

:taylormade-small:             SIM 9.5* (GD XC 6X) 

:taylormade-small:             SIM 15* (GD DI 7X) 

:taylormade-small:             2 DHY (GD DI HY8X)

:srixon-small:                     Z585 4-5 (KBS C Taper S)

:srixon-small:                     Z785 6-PW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey  SM8 49 08 F ( KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 59 04 L   (KBS 610)

:bettinardi-1:                Studio Stock 28 Slotback 33.5"

:bridgestone-small:       Tour BX

:Arccos:

Twitter         @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

On 12/26/2019 at 11:10 AM, NiftyNiblick said:

Hitting from inside just isn't that hard.   It can be taught in one lesson. 

Fighting the hook was always harder for me.

It absolutely cannot be taught in one lesson. Wake up tomorrow and try to walk a different way than you have for the last 50 years. You will succeed for a few swings and then revert right back to the way you have always walked. 

If you fought a hook why couldn't that be fixed in one lesson??

• Like 5

:taylormade-small:             SIM 9.5* (GD XC 6X) 

:taylormade-small:             SIM 15* (GD DI 7X) 

:taylormade-small:             2 DHY (GD DI HY8X)

:srixon-small:                     Z585 4-5 (KBS C Taper S)

:srixon-small:                     Z785 6-PW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey  SM8 49 08 F ( KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 59 04 L   (KBS 610)

:bettinardi-1:                Studio Stock 28 Slotback 33.5"

:bridgestone-small:       Tour BX

:Arccos:

Twitter         @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

3 hours ago, NiftyNiblick said:

OK, I understand what you're saying, CG2...these clubs are for casual, occasional players. I know my hangup...I was never a particularly gifted player, but I only hit slices if I hit them on purpose.  Hooks are what ate me up.

Now for a reprise of my other hangup.

Callaway Epic Forged irons.

Louisville Tony Stewart irons.

Both of these are contemporary premium models manufactured right now.

The first set has an 18º 4-iron.

The second set has a 32º 4-iron.

Nobody makes any effort to use the original numbering system that was adopted when steel shafted clubs replaced hickory shafted clubs which had names instead of club numbers.

So why still use club numbers?

The numbers make no sense whatsoever anymore.  Stamp the actual lofts and be done with it.

I think a fourteen degree span for a given club number is absolutely ludicrous.

That's harder for me to understand.

Numbers on the clubs have been changing for decades. They changed from the 60s and 70s to the 80s, 80s into late 90s and have been relatively consistent since around 97. This argument has been put to bed numerous times from staff writers and club engineers. It’s about launch windows, spin rates and land angles. As materials change, designs change and flight characteristics change. It’s what makes golf great is that as technology improves manufacturers can make various type of irons to fit every type of golfer and help golfers enjoy the game and for those who get older and swing slower to play clubs that help them get the all in the air. It’s not only club tech but ball tech and shaft technology. 

so unless you only play clubs from 1950s or earlier you have played jacked lofts too.

• Like 3

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

And yet another topic that starts out great about new clubs & tech that helps make the game more enjoyable gets derailed with gibberish that's already been disproved countless times. 

giphy.gif

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 R flex 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:cleveland-small:  Smart Sole S
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

10 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

giphy.gif

Don't you go on forums for activities you no longer participate in to tell everyone else they're doing it wrong? 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3

Putter ?????

SuperSpeed Forum Tester

7 hours ago, Wedgie said:
On 12/26/2019 at 1:32 PM, HardcoreLooper said:

You might take a look at the Cobra T-Rail irons. The rails help with fat shots and they offer a junior shaft. I’m sure you can buy a single club.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I love the idea of T-Rails.  I haven't found single irons with junior shafts yet, but I'll keep looking.  Thanks for the tip!

• Like 1

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
2 Iron - :mizuno-small: FliHi (18*) - Recoil 760 ( S )
4i - GW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
SW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :srixon-small: Z-Star XV
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Interesting on the mention of hybrid irons and junior golfers as I just had a discussion with my kids' teaching pro on this.  He strongly dissuades much use of hybrids among the junior golfers he teaches as he believes they limit a younger golfer's ability to learn the correct impact conditions.  He really does not favor it with the adults he teaches either (same reasoning) but understands that at some point the equipment might have to substitute somewhat for swing quality in order for the game to be enjoyable.

1 hour ago, bellairemi said:

Interesting on the mention of hybrid irons and junior golfers as I just had a discussion with my kids' teaching pro on this.  He strongly dissuades much use of hybrids among the junior golfers he teaches as he believes they limit a younger golfer's ability to learn the correct impact conditions.  He really does not favor it with the adults he teaches either (same reasoning) but understands that at some point the equipment might have to substitute somewhat for swing quality in order for the game to be enjoyable.

Can't say I agree with this. There are tons of PGA Tour and even more LPGA tour players that use hybrids. 

I'm guessing he doesn't believe in cavity back irons either. Does he make his kids use persimmon woods too? 

Putter ?????

SuperSpeed Forum Tester

1 hour ago, bellairemi said:

but understands that at some point the equipment might have to substitute somewhat for swing quality in order for the game to be enjoyable.

That "some point" arrived a long time a ago for the majority of players. Most players are high handicappers if they even have a handicap and are only interested hitting occasional good shots, advancing the ball and having some fun. I think hybrids offer a lot of forgiveness and have a place in the game for a lot of players. I might concede that perhaps for kids starting out I too might steer away from hybrids. However, there might come a day when even your pro! decides this game could use some assistance as he's no longer the Pro! he remembers or thinks himself being. 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

8 hours ago, jlukes said:

Can't say I agree with this. There are tons of PGA Tour and even more LPGA tour players that use hybrids. 

I'm guessing he doesn't believe in cavity back irons either. Does he make his kids use persimmon woods too? 

He is not a fan of wider soled cavity back irons either, at least for those learning the game.  I'm not here to agree or disagree necessarily with his points because I honestly do not know.  But he did win the 2019 PGA National Junior Instruction Award and has had 40 of his juniors go on to play college golf in the last 4 years (my eldest daughter being one of them) - this from an area with a population of around 25.000 people.  He's not a "golf should be painful" guy but honestly believes that students cannot get the sense of what good contact should be with the wider soles.

10 hours ago, bellairemi said:

He is not a fan of wider soled cavity back irons either, at least for those learning the game.  I'm not here to agree or disagree necessarily with his points because I honestly do not know.  But he did win the 2019 PGA National Junior Instruction Award and has had 40 of his juniors go on to play college golf in the last 4 years (my eldest daughter being one of them) - this from an area with a population of around 25.000 people.  He's not a "golf should be painful" guy but honestly believes that students cannot get the sense of what good contact should be with the wider soles.

Isn't that kind of the, "I'll be forced to become a better ball striker if I play blades instead of SGIs," argument, though?

I mean, a flushed shot is a flushed shot, a missed shot is a missed shot. Nobody is playing GI/SGI irons because they're purposely trying to miss the center of the club face. 

Certainly, there is a different feel between different types of clubs. I get that. Just seems odd not to use technology that is designed to help. At the end of the day, lowest score wins, and the scorecard doesn't care what type of iron your used to post the score (as long as it's conforming, of course 😀).

• Like 3

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 11.4 (Last Updated Oct. 22, 2020)

Driver: cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme (9°, set to Draw), 44.5", Aldila Rogue Silver 60 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
3W: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone (15°), -3/4", Aldila Rogue Silver 70 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
17° Hybrid: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone, -1/2", UST Recoil 480 ESX F4, Lamkin Sonar Connect
19° Driving Iron: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone 4 Iron, 2° Flat, 39.75", X-Caliber Rapid Taper 75g Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
5-GW:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone, 2° Flat, -1/2", KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
54°, 58°:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING MIM Black, 3° Flat, -1/2" (54°), -1/4" (58°), KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3°
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow / 
srixon.png.43e385967a8ed97dd1678520c0dc8ef3.png Srixon Z-Star XV Tour Yellow
Tracked By: :Arccos: Cobra Connect powered by Arccos
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8

2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

I’d love to see this get back on track...

the Mark Crossfield post by @jlukes hit on exposing us to brands we otherwise wouldn’t consider. I don’t remember who posted the NASCAR analogy but if we parallel that logic, the market can normalize or de-stigmatize these style clubs and encourage more recreational players to give them a shot.  Fact is, without proper education, a majority of golfers are going to lean towards clubs that look cool and or are played by their favorite golfers. 

• Like 5
  • PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • PING G 3W HZRDUS Yellow 75g 6.0
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Maltby TSW 52, 58 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide
  • Oncore Elixr

Rochester, NY

5.6 Index

1 hour ago, edingc said:

Isn't that kind of the, "I'll be forced to become a better ball striker if I play blades instead of SGIs," argument, though?

I mean, a flushed shot is a flushed shot, a missed shot is a missed shot. Nobody is playing GI/SGI irons because they're purposely trying to miss the center of the club face. 

Certainly, there is a different feel between different types of clubs. I get that. Just seems odd not to use technology that is designed to help. At the end of the day, lowest score wins, and the scorecard doesn't care what type of iron your used to post the score (as long as it's conforming, of course 😀).

I've experienced the same thing when I purchased my "new" 2017 z565 Srixon driver this past year. A flushed shot wasn't any better than my 2007 Cleveland HiBore. But, my misses - especially off the heel - are better.

Having said that, I don't want to play with SGI irons because they usually look too big & clunky to my eye with the thicker toplines. I'd rather get some feedback from a mishit with a forged cavity back or "mild" GI head. To each his own. 

I need to like the look & feel of the clubs in my bag. That also helps breed confidence and belief.

My :1590477705_SunMountain: C-130 cart bag currently includes;

Driver: :srixon-small: z565 10.5*, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6 S-Flex
Fairways:  :callaway-small: X-Hot 15* & 18*, Project X PXv R-Flex
Irons: :benhogan-small:Apex Plus, 4-PW, Apex S4-Flex
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CG10; 50*, 54*, 58*, Dynamic Gold W-flex 

Putter: Ray Cook Blue Goose or Tour Edge HP #10 Red
Grips: Golf Pride MCC-Plus 4 & Lamkin UTx
Ball: Kirkland Signature 3-Piece