Grand Stranded

Why Wilson Lauch Pad irons are a good thing for golf

Our Sponsors

39 minutes ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

I've experienced the same thing when I purchased my "new" 2017 z565 Srixon driver this past year. A flushed shot wasn't any better than my 2007 Cleveland HiBore. But, my misses - especially off the heel - are better.

Having said that, I don't want to play with SGI irons because they usually look too big & clunky to my eye with the thicker toplines. I'd rather get some feedback from a mishit with a forged cavity back or "mild" GI head. To each his own. 

I need to like the look & feel of the clubs in my bag. That also helps breed confidence and belief.

Certainly. And looks are certainly part of the equation. I personally try to balance both looks and forgiveness, and thankfully there are now several models out there that do both well.

I think the Launch Pads, Clevelands, Tour Edge Ironwoods, etc., are great things for golf though. They are priced competitively, for starters. And for the right person they will make golf more enjoyable.

When I was fit for irons a few months back I was chatting with my fitter and he said he had fit someone recently that gained 20-30 yards per club with the Cleveland Launchers because the wide sole helped her to stop digging and chunking so badly.

Again, the reality is that most people are not going to spend a ton of time or money on golf, and only want to be able to make it out a few times a year and have fun while doing so. Or, there are people like my in-laws that play a lot of golf, but don't practice or want to change their swings at all, so they are wanting these types of clubs to get a few more years of enjoyment out of the game. A few extra yards here and there for them can be huge for their games. 

• Like 4

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 9.8 (Last Updated July 12, 2020)

2020 MGS #COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE PARTICIPANT - Check out the pre-chatter thread!

#CC4 WITB (Cobra Black/Yellow Ultralight Cart Bag)

Driver: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme (9°, set to 7.5°), 44.5", Aldila Rogue Silver 60 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
3W: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone (15°, set to 13.5°), -3/4" SHORT, Aldila Rogue Silver 70 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
17° Hybrid: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, -1/2" SHORT, UST Recoil 480 ESX F4, Lamkin Sonar Connect
4-GW: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, 2° Flat, -1/2" SHORT, KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
54°, 58°: :cobra-small: Cobra KING Black, 3° Flat, -1/2" SHORT (54°), -1/4" SHORT (58°), KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
Putter: :taylormade-small: TaylorMade Spider X, 33", Golf Pride Tour Only Red Star
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow (Also: :srixon-small: Srixon Z-Star XV Tour Yellow)
Tracked By: :Arccos: Cobra Connect powered by Arccos

15 hours ago, bellairemi said:

He is not a fan of wider soled cavity back irons either, at least for those learning the game.  I'm not here to agree or disagree necessarily with his points because I honestly do not know.  But he did win the 2019 PGA National Junior Instruction Award and has had 40 of his juniors go on to play college golf in the last 4 years (my eldest daughter being one of them) - this from an area with a population of around 25.000 people.  He's not a "golf should be painful" guy but honestly believes that students cannot get the sense of what good contact should be with the wider soles.

Dustin Johnson putting a 22 degree hybrid in play this week... 

• Like 2

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 Plus Ping 9* VA Nemesys 65FIVE
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* VA Vylyn 75FIVE
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 49 F - 54 S - 59 D
:mizuno-small: M Craft I
:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

SuperSpeed Forum Tester
Initial Driver Speed on Provided Monitor: 109 MPH

5 hours ago, bens197 said:

I’d love to see this get back on track...

the Mark Crossfield post by @jlukes hit on exposing us to brands we otherwise wouldn’t consider. I don’t remember who posted the NASCAR analogy but if we parallel that logic, the market can normalize or de-stigmatize these style clubs and encourage more recreational players to give them a shot.  Fact is, without proper education, a majority of golfers are going to lean towards clubs that look cool and or are played by their favorite golfers. 

So Steve, the only thing I can add to that, and I'm sure you'd agree considering your experience in the golf sales sphere during college, and from other debates on this forum in other threads about different ideas in equipment, is that there is no group of athletes or prospective athletes that gravitate toward "this is how it's always been" then the average to good golfer.

When presented with either new brands doing interesting things or new tech that makes the game easier, golfers scoff at those ideas and play what they've always played because they are creatures of habit. Now, companies like Tour Edge, Srixon, Cobra even have been pushing on different and new tech that could help golfers, but people say I'm a Callaway guy or I only play Taylormade drivers and it's a position I've never understood. I know I'm not talking to the normal golfer here because we all believe, at least to some extent the #BeYourOwnBrand ethos of MGS, but we're not the main bell curve of the market.

I'll be honest, and I know I was talking to you about this @bens197, even though I'm damn near a single digit player, I can't wait to try these, the Launcher HB Turbos, the IronWood 4's, the T-Rails, and all sorts of irons. I get that they aren't everyone's cup of tee, but if we could just get past our own biases (harder to do than to say, obviously) I think we can all find clubs at all levels that make us happy and improve our games. I just don't think that the majority thinks that way. They think a club is supposed to look a certain way and for those people, I wish we could help them, but it's like trying to make the blind see.

• Like 3

:mizuno-small: ST180, 10.5, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:755178188_TourEdge:  CB4 Tour 16.5*, Aldila RIP 70-S

:cobra-small: F7 ONE 5-S, UST Recoil 680 F4 in 5 iron, KBS Tour R+ in rest

:cobra-small: KING ONE 60*, KBS Tour FLT 

:nickent-small: Pipe

:srixon-small: Q-Star Tour... For now

:CaddyTek: Caddylite 15.3 V1

Go Orange!

5 hours ago, edingc said:

I think the Launch Pads, Clevelands, Tour Edge Ironwoods, etc., are great things for golf though. They are priced competitively, for starters. And for the right person they will make golf more enjoyable.

No argument from me on this point, but I'm almost guaranteed to hook these off the planet because they look a lot like hybrids.

I'm all for making the game more enjoyable, particularly as it pertains to pace-of-play.

• Like 1

My :1590477705_SunMountain: C-130 cart bag currently includes;

Driver: :srixon-small: z565 10.5*, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6 S-Flex
Fairways:  :callaway-small: X-Hot 15* & 18*, Project X PXv R-Flex
Irons: :benhogan-small:Apex Plus, 4-PW, Apex S4-Flex
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CG10; 50*, 54*, 58*, Dynamic Gold W-flex 

Putter: Ray Cook Blue Goose or Tour Edge HP #10 Red
Grips: Golf Pride MCC-Plus 4 & Lamkin UTx
Ball: Kirkland Signature 3-Piece 

So Steve, the only thing I can add to that, and I'm sure you'd agree considering your experience in the golf sales sphere during college, and from other debates on this forum in other threads about different ideas in equipment, is that there is no group of athletes or prospective athletes that gravitate toward "this is how it's always been" then the average to good golfer.

When presented with either new brands doing interesting things or new tech that makes the game easier, golfers scoff at those ideas and play what they've always played because they are creatures of habit. Now, companies like Tour Edge, Srixon, Cobra even have been pushing on different and new tech that could help golfers, but people say I'm a Callaway guy or I only play Taylormade drivers and it's a position I've never understood. I know I'm not talking to the normal golfer here because we all believe, at least to some extent the #BeYourOwnBrand ethos of MGS, but we're not the main bell curve of the market.

I'll be honest, and I know I was talking to you about this [mention=72203]bens197[/mention], even though I'm damn near a single digit player, I can't wait to try these, the Launcher HB Turbos, the IronWood 4's, the T-Rails, and all sorts of irons. I get that they aren't everyone's cup of tee, but if we could just get past our own biases (harder to do than to say, obviously) I think we can all find clubs at all levels that make us happy and improve our games. I just don't think that the majority thinks that way. They think a club is supposed to look a certain way and for those people, I wish we could help them, but it's like trying to make the blind see.

You finished the thought I was working to complete, well said RB. And to that, happy New Years as well, friend.

In golf sales, I always loved seeing the reaction on a players face when they returned to the shop with the 3 or 4 drivers they tried and the “hey, give this one a shot as well” was the top performer.

I can’t imagine how much better the golfing public as a whole would be if they were as open minded as you are about equipment.

• Like 2

• PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • PING G 3W HZRDUS Yellow 75g 6.0
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Maltby TS1 4-G Nippon Modus3 120S
  • Maltby TSW 52 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Maltby TSW 58 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide 2020
  • Oncore Elixr

Rochester, NY

4.3 Index

On 1/1/2020 at 12:06 PM, bellairemi said:

Interesting on the mention of hybrid irons and junior golfers as I just had a discussion with my kids' teaching pro on this.  He strongly dissuades much use of hybrids among the junior golfers he teaches as he believes they limit a younger golfer's ability to learn the correct impact conditions.  He really does not favor it with the adults he teaches either (same reasoning) but understands that at some point the equipment might have to substitute somewhat for swing quality in order for the game to be enjoyable.

I'm not going to argue with this guy's bona fides, but my kids have worked with four different PGA pros, and none of them have said anything about not hitting hybrids.  I'd love it if my daughter could hit something longer than an 8 iron off the ground, but she can't yet.  

• Like 3

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
2 Hybrid - Titleist 585 (17*) - Titleist 4175 ( R )
4i - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Forest Green)
Ball -  :Snell: MTB-X
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

5 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

I'm not going to argue with this guy's bona fides, but my kids have worked with four different PGA pros, and none of them have said anything about not hitting hybrids.  I'd love it if my daughter could hit something longer than an 8 iron off the ground, but she can't yet.  

Likewise. My son's pro handed him at least 3 different hybrids this season to try out, and specifically works with all the kids at the beginning of the season on how to hit their hybrids. 

W/S has always had a great handle on what makes an SGI club work, I've never hit anything in their D line that didn't help my game. I'm betting the Launch Pads will be no exception, even with my own mental blocks on hitting hybrids. The lower offset on these should go a long way in that regard. 

• Like 4

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 R flex 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:cleveland-small:  Smart Sole S
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb