TESTERS WANTED! ×

Walter Hagen Golf Shoes

fixyurdivot

Howdy Spies. I purchased a pair of these from DSG's about 10 years ago and they have worked out really well.  In fact, I'm still wearing them now and they show little wear - slight yellowing of the rubber sole/edge from age and possibly chemicals used on courses is about it.  My wife was looking at some puffy vests on-line and these popped up on sale.  

image.thumb.png.257bcb762c4f9b1f06af782a73e822d8.png

While my current pair would likely serve me for another few years, the sale price and the newer looked peaked my interest. The one thing I don't like about my current shoe is that they are a little to wide for me resulting in the laces being a bit long and the eyelets close together when cinched up.  I'm not sure if these were a medium or wide fit and the label has long since worn off.  Also, they are a size 13 partly for my slightly larger foot when younger and also because I lived in the PNW where cooler, wet play and thicker socks were common.

Seeing this as an opportunity to help my wife out with the dreaded "what to get him for Christmas" question, we ordered a pair.  Free shipping arrived in 2 days!  I figured I'd do a quick review on these to help any others in the market for golf shoes and, hopefully, while their on such a great deal.

Here is a picture of my current Walter Hagen's.  Still quite serviceable, with only wear in the heel area.  I have found these "nubby" spikes to work very well except on frosty grass.  All my previous shoes had traditional metal spikes.  I considered a pair when I purchased these that had the newer multi prong rubber spikes, but really liked the look of these more.  As for heat comfort, I have found these to be just fine - plenty breathable and not causing excessive sweat issues. I would give these a 4.5/5 star rating with the only deduction being the too wide a fit... presuming these were a medium size to begin with?

thumbnail?appId=YMailNorrin

Here's what the new shoes look like. They have a bit more "sneaker" like design than the old versions.  Also, they have a better "ortholite" insole.  I find my old ones quite comfortable and I walk more than I ride.  My quick assessment of the new ones are that they will be every bit as comfortable - perhaps more so.  I did buy size 12 medium and the width is perfect with eyelet spacing when cinched up just right.  I would say if you generally wear "wide fit", they are true to size and would suggest getting the wide.

Both are the "HydroHalt" design which I would rate as quite good in damp conditions.  Except for raining days or having to constantly slosh through standing puddles, my current shoes stay dry with no seepage through the soles.  Whether the new model has the same results remains to be seen but with my rounds taking place in Arizona and southwest MT they won't get a severe test in this category.  For those that play in really wet conditions, I don't think these are the best choice.

The construction materials sure look the same, though I don't know for sure.  Typically, manufactures use cheaper and thinner materials and the new stuff often does not wear as well as the old stuff - so time will tell. The "nubby spike" design appears nearly identical, which is great based on my prior experience.  They have worn exceptionally well with plenty of time on non grass surfaces.

I'm making my 4.5/5 star recommendation based off of my experience with the older model - but would be surprised if these don't get the same score.  I just wanted to get this initial review out to the forum ASAP since they are on sale now.  I will follow up later as I get some mileage on the new ones.  Here is the link to the current sale (note higher price on other colors).

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/walter-hagen-mens-course-casual-golf-shoes-17whgmwhcrscslblkgsh/17whgmwhcrscslblkgsh?sku=18475980&camp=CSE:DSG__lia_pla-4582695750880020&msclkid=e9c3cd813baf1c385a82907038be45df&gclid=CJHS2OrsreYCFSClxQIdhIwD4w&gclsrc=ds

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

@fixyurdivotThanks for the update and recommendation on these shoes. I saw these at Dicks and tried them on about a month ago. Unfortunately for me even though the price was right the fit was too tight in my normal shoe size (12 medium). So I'd just advise the spies here to try them on first. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

23 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

@fixyurdivotThanks for the update and recommendation on these shoes. I saw these at Dicks and tried them on about a month ago. Unfortunately for me even though the price was right the fit was too tight in my normal shoe size (12 medium). So I'd just advise the spies here to try them on first. 

I tend to be on the narrow side of medium, so maybe these run a little small.  Always good to try them on first if possible.

One round complete.  Very comfortable shoe with good support.  I didn't realize how much the soles on the old shoes had stiffened (rubber nubs) - these feel springy 🙂.  

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing all of the tennis shoe, casual-wear, molded sole offerings from athletic shoe manufacturers only makes me miss the look and sound of FJ Classics with nails even more. #getoffmylawn

My :1590477705_SunMountain: C-130 cart bag currently includes;

Driver: :srixon-small: z565 10.5*, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6 S-Flex
Fairways:  :callaway-small: X-Hot 15* & 18*, Project X PXv R-Flex
Irons: :benhogan-small:Apex Plus, 4-PW, Apex S4-Flex
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CG10; 50*, 54*, 58*, Dynamic Gold W-flex 

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro Blade #2
Grips: Golf Pride MCC-Plus 4 & Lamkin UTx
Ball: Kirkland Signature 3-Piece 

Several more rounds in with these and they feel great.  Monday's round was on damp grass from a mid morning shower.  These grip really well and were completely dry. 

On 12/25/2019 at 11:47 AM, J.B. TexasEx said:

Seeing all of the tennis shoe, casual-wear, molded sole offerings from athletic shoe manufacturers only makes me miss the look and sound of FJ Classics with nails even more. #getoffmylawn

I miss the look of FJ Classics and the sound of spikes on concrete, but I sure as h*ll don't miss the blisters.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

On 12/11/2019 at 8:24 AM, tony@CIC said:

I walked through Dick's (new store opened up just before Thanksgiving) today looking for a birthday present for my wife, and I walked out with a pair of these Walter Hagen golf shoes in Brown.  They had both brown and black, but only brown in a size that fit me.  I normally wear a size 12 medium but like you, they were too narrow.  Fortunately, the had a size 12 Wide and the fit was good.  For $35 I don't care if they get goose poop all over them!!  They didn't have that size in black, but I might order it if these brown shoes feel good on the course.

I know someone will ask... YES, I got my wife a present!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

50 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I walked through Dick's (new store opened up just before Thanksgiving) today looking for a birthday present for my wife, and I walked out with a pair of these Walter Hagen golf shoes in Brown.  They had both brown and black, but only brown in a size that fit me.  I normally wear a size 12 medium but like you, they were too narrow.  Fortunately, the had a size 12 Wide and the fit was good.  For $35 I don't care if they get goose poop all over them!!  They didn't have that size in black, but I might order it if these brown shoes feel good on the course.

I know someone will ask... YES, I got my wife a present!!

Well, now that makes at least two of us who will be looking extra sharp at the 2020 Northwest MGS Meet-up 🤣.

I played both rounds this last weekend in the Walter Hagen golf shoes.  They were comfortable, but I was riding, not walking so I can't comment on what my feet would feel like if I walked the rounds.  I will say that these shoes in my original size were a little tight, so I opted to get the wide size.  After wearing them for 36 holes, they feel like they have stretched a little.  My feet now seem to slip around in the wider size, particularly when walking on sidehill (we have a lot of these!!).  I tried adjusting the laces to get a snugger fit, and the laces broke the leather tab on the tongue.  No big deal; I was going to re-lace the shoes anyway, not using the tab.  Just seems like the stitching on that tab was cheap.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

5 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I played both rounds this last weekend in the Walter Hagen golf shoes.  They were comfortable, but I was riding, not walking so I can't comment on what my feet would feel like if I walked the rounds.  I will say that these shoes in my original size were a little tight, so I opted to get the wide size.  After wearing them for 36 holes, they feel like they have stretched a little.  My feet now seem to slip around in the wider size, particularly when walking on sidehill (we have a lot of these!!).  I tried adjusting the laces to get a snugger fit, and the laces broke the leather tab on the tongue.  No big deal; I was going to re-lace the shoes anyway, not using the tab.  Just seems like the stitching on that tab was cheap.

Kenny, I'm sure Dicks will replace them no problem.  I have walked a couple more rounds in these shoes and find them really comfortable.  One thing I notice is that the rubber sole is great on grass but a little slick on wet, smooth concrete.  

2 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Kenny, I'm sure Dicks will replace them no problem.  I have walked a couple more rounds in these shoes and find them really comfortable.  One thing I notice is that the rubber sole is great on grass but a little slick on wet, smooth concrete.  

I don't have any reason to return them.  I never use the tab that broke on any shoe that has them.  They came all laced up with the laces through the tab so I wore them that way, but that tab makes it difficult, if not impossible to adjust the laces close to the toe.  They are comfortable to wear and I played well, so I'll keep them.  I might even get the black pair.  The price is right.

I haven't taken my True Linkswear Originals that I got for Christmas out on the course yet.  They're white and I don't want to get goose poop on them, but I need to determine if they are going to Palm Springs.  I can't justify taking more than one pair of shoes.

On 12/25/2019 at 11:47 AM, J.B. TexasEx said:

Yeah buddy gotta agree with you 110% on the Classic FJs with nails

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

1 minute ago, BIG STU said:

You got me by a couple of years, Stu, but I still remember the sound of nails on pavement walking up to the clubhouse. 

On 12/26/2019 at 1:04 PM, HardcoreLooper said:

I miss the look of FJ Classics and the sound of spikes on concrete, but I sure as h*ll don't miss the blisters.

The secret to not getting blisters with those were to soften them up some with either neatsfoot oil or Mink Oil. And then break them in a few holes at the time. Also apply the same oil to the leather soles it helps water proof them. Also used to take the spikes out when they were new and use anti seize compound on the threads and do the same every time you replaced the spikes. One of the old weekend customers was a machinist / millright by trade and he taught me that trick and gave me a can of the stuff that had the little application brush 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

5 minutes ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

You got me by a couple of years, Stu, but I still remember the sound of nails on pavement walking up to the clubhouse. 

Ain't nothing like it old school golf sounds along with the sound of a well struck persimmon----- I still get the persimmon sound because I still play persimmon some in fact played it today

G

On 12/26/2019 at 12:04 PM, HardcoreLooper said:

Suck it up, Buttercup. Ain't nothin' a band-aid and a small bottle of New Skin won't cure! 😉

Amazon.com : New-Skin Liquid Bandage 1.0 FL OZ, Liquid ...

Edited by J.B. TexasEx

JB we did not have that fancy stuff back in the day so stick a band aid on it and go or fold a piece of gauze and adhesive tape it on. 

G

15 hours ago, BIG STU said:

With or without sandguards?

Image result for classic footjoy golf shoes

3 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

With or without sandguards?

Image result for classic footjoy golf shoes

We called them flaps and I hated them. One of the first things I did when I saw they fit was take a new PAL brand single edge razor blade and cut them off. 

G

1 minute ago, BIG STU said:

We called them flaps and I hated them. One of the first things I did when I saw they fit was take a new PAL brand single edge razor blade and cut them off. 

My golf career started on steel spikes and wingtips with flaps (sandguards).  Best I can recall, all of my Dad's shoes sported this feature.

On 12/31/2019 at 6:51 PM, J.B. TexasEx said:

Suck it up, Buttercup. Ain't nothin' a band-aid and a small bottle of New Skin won't cure! 😉

Amazon.com : New-Skin Liquid Bandage 1.0 FL OZ, Liquid ...

If New Skin was a thing back in the 80s, I'd have bought so much of it I'd have bought stock in them.

My feet used to blister up so bad from golf shoes that I'd often loop barefoot because it'd hurt to have anything on my feet by that point.  

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

On 12/31/2019 at 6:46 PM, BIG STU said:

Also used to take the spikes out when they were new and use anti seize compound on the threads and do the same every time you replaced the spikes.

We just used Vaseline.  Whenever a member would bring us his shoes to replace a spike, we'd take them all out, grease them up, and screw them back in.  I always loved it when they'd bring us a shoe where they'd stripped the threads off the spike.

I used to take all of the full metal spikes out of my shoes and replace them with the ones with the plastic flange.  It didn't seem like much, but when you were walking 45 holes on caddy Mondays on a golf course that was always wet, every ounce really did count.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

12 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

We just used Vaseline.  Whenever a member would bring us his shoes to replace a spike, we'd take them all out, grease them up, and screw them back in.  I always loved it when they'd bring us a shoe where they'd stripped the threads off the spike.

I used to take all of the full metal spikes out of my shoes and replace them with the ones with the plastic flange.  It didn't seem like much, but when you were walking 45 holes on caddy Mondays on a golf course that was always wet, every ounce really did count.

That's my biggest problem with softspikes. They suck if the ground has any moisture whatsoever.

Pro: "But, you made a bad swing. You're off-balance."

Me: "No kidding, it happens a lot."

Edited by J.B. TexasEx

3 hours ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

That's my biggest problem with softspikes. They suck if the ground has any moisture whatsoever.

Pro: "But, you made a bad swing. You're off-balance."

Me: "No kidding, it happens a lot."

I have always had a balance problem and I set up with a narrow stance to prevent swaying on the top end. My feet move a lot to keep my balance like Patrick Reed and Matthew Wolf. The old timers like my old man used to call it shuffling and now days they call it happy feet. Back when I practiced a lot on the range you could always tell where my feet were at because it looked like there had been one heck of a barnyard chicken brawl 

G

16 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

Yep I have used the Vaseline trick too. On the stripped spikes that machinist friend gave me 2 taps that would re thread them if they were stripped. Had a guy in the pro shop one day state he had a nice pair of FJs but had 2 spikes stripped. The machinist bet the guy $10 I could fix them and winked. The guy stated he would bet that $10 and give me $10 extra if I could fix them. I did and the guy paid both of us. He asked the machinist how he knew I could fix them? in which the machinist took a puff on his pipe and told him "I taught him I am a machinist by trade". The guy did not gripe said it was worth every bit of $20 to get those shoes fixed

G

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2020 at 1:48 PM, BIG STU said:

We  called them kilties. Like you, I always cut them off.  I haven't seen them recently, but I'll be there are still some stashed away in garage closets somewhere.

Drive for Show; Putt for Dough

10 minutes ago, Hoganman1 said:

We  called them kilties. Like you, I always cut them off.  I haven't seen them recently, but I'll be there are still some stashed away in garage closets somewhere.

They went straight in the trash when I cut them off---- And I see you are in Charlotte--- I was born and raised in Charlotte in fact a North Charlotte guy

G

21 hours ago, BIG STU said:

They went straight in the trash when I cut them off---- And I see you are in Charlotte--- I was born and raised in Charlotte in fact a North Charlotte guy

Yes, we moved here in 1977 from Columbia SC.We live in Myers Park and I play  at Myers Park Country Club. I see you're in Garden City. Where do you play you golf? 

Drive for Show; Putt for Dough

5 hours ago, Hoganman1 said:

Yes, we moved here in 1977 from Columbia SC.We live in Myers Park and I play  at Myers Park Country Club. I see you're in Garden City. Where do you play you golf? 

Indian Wells was my home course here until it closed for good December 21st. For now I am hanging my shingle so to speak at Indigo Creek across the street. But I do play all around the beach with several different groups. I have played MP quite a bit in the past. My lifelong friend who is still in Charlotte is a member at Pine Island CC which is also a wonderful track. My old man was the pro and managed the old Paradise Valley course on 29 back in the 60s and 70s----- Yep all the old public courses from back in the day are gone except the old Sunset Hills course.

Edited by BIG STU

G