Walter Hagen Golf Shoes

fixyurdivot

1 minute ago, BIG STU said:

We called them flaps and I hated them. One of the first things I did when I saw they fit was take a new PAL brand single edge razor blade and cut them off. 

My golf career started on steel spikes and wingtips with flaps (sandguards).  Best I can recall, all of my Dad's shoes sported this feature.

• Like 2

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

On 12/31/2019 at 6:51 PM, J.B. TexasEx said:

Suck it up, Buttercup. Ain't nothin' a band-aid and a small bottle of New Skin won't cure! 😉

Amazon.com : New-Skin Liquid Bandage 1.0 FL OZ, Liquid ...

If New Skin was a thing back in the 80s, I'd have bought so much of it I'd have bought stock in them.

My feet used to blister up so bad from golf shoes that I'd often loop barefoot because it'd hurt to have anything on my feet by that point.  

• Like 2

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
GW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :taylormade-small: TP5X Pix
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

On 12/31/2019 at 6:46 PM, BIG STU said:

Also used to take the spikes out when they were new and use anti seize compound on the threads and do the same every time you replaced the spikes.

We just used Vaseline.  Whenever a member would bring us his shoes to replace a spike, we'd take them all out, grease them up, and screw them back in.  I always loved it when they'd bring us a shoe where they'd stripped the threads off the spike.

I used to take all of the full metal spikes out of my shoes and replace them with the ones with the plastic flange.  It didn't seem like much, but when you were walking 45 holes on caddy Mondays on a golf course that was always wet, every ounce really did count.

• Like 2

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
GW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :taylormade-small: TP5X Pix
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

12 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

We just used Vaseline.  Whenever a member would bring us his shoes to replace a spike, we'd take them all out, grease them up, and screw them back in.  I always loved it when they'd bring us a shoe where they'd stripped the threads off the spike.

I used to take all of the full metal spikes out of my shoes and replace them with the ones with the plastic flange.  It didn't seem like much, but when you were walking 45 holes on caddy Mondays on a golf course that was always wet, every ounce really did count.

That's my biggest problem with softspikes. They suck if the ground has any moisture whatsoever.

Pro: "But, you made a bad swing. You're off-balance."

Me: "No kidding, it happens a lot."

Edited by J.B. TexasEx
  • Haha 2

My :1590477705_SunMountain: C-130 cart bag currently includes;

Driver: :srixon-small: z565 10.5*, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6 S-Flex
Fairways:  :callaway-small: X-Hot 15* & 18*, Project X PXv R-Flex
Irons: :benhogan-small:Apex Plus, 4-PW, Apex S4-Flex
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CG10; 50*, 54*, 58*, Dynamic Gold W-flex 

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro Blade #2
Grips: Golf Pride MCC-Plus 4 & Lamkin UTx
Ball: Kirkland Signature 3-Piece 

3 hours ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

That's my biggest problem with softspikes. They suck if the ground has any moisture whatsoever.

Pro: "But, you made a bad swing. You're off-balance."

Me: "No kidding, it happens a lot."

I have always had a balance problem and I set up with a narrow stance to prevent swaying on the top end. My feet move a lot to keep my balance like Patrick Reed and Matthew Wolf. The old timers like my old man used to call it shuffling and now days they call it happy feet. Back when I practiced a lot on the range you could always tell where my feet were at because it looked like there had been one heck of a barnyard chicken brawl 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex 15*--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex 21*---- 9 wood TM V-Steel stock MAS Stiff shaft 24*---  Irons 4 thru 9 Mac Muirfield TT black label --- PW  Vokey SM-4 51* stock shaft--- SW Vokey SM 5 L grind 58* stock shaft--- Putter -- Rusty Scotty Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft---. Bag Old School Jones Original non stand

16 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

Yep I have used the Vaseline trick too. On the stripped spikes that machinist friend gave me 2 taps that would re thread them if they were stripped. Had a guy in the pro shop one day state he had a nice pair of FJs but had 2 spikes stripped. The machinist bet the guy $10 I could fix them and winked. The guy stated he would bet that $10 and give me $10 extra if I could fix them. I did and the guy paid both of us. He asked the machinist how he knew I could fix them? in which the machinist took a puff on his pipe and told him "I taught him I am a machinist by trade". The guy did not gripe said it was worth every bit of $20 to get those shoes fixed

• Like 2

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex 15*--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex 21*---- 9 wood TM V-Steel stock MAS Stiff shaft 24*---  Irons 4 thru 9 Mac Muirfield TT black label --- PW  Vokey SM-4 51* stock shaft--- SW Vokey SM 5 L grind 58* stock shaft--- Putter -- Rusty Scotty Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft---. Bag Old School Jones Original non stand

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2020 at 1:48 PM, BIG STU said:

We called them flaps and I hated them. One of the first things I did when I saw they fit was take a new PAL brand single edge razor blade and cut them off. 

We  called them kilties. Like you, I always cut them off.  I haven't seen them recently, but I'll be there are still some stashed away in garage closets somewhere.

• Like 2

Drive for Show; Putt for Dough

10 minutes ago, Hoganman1 said:

We  called them kilties. Like you, I always cut them off.  I haven't seen them recently, but I'll be there are still some stashed away in garage closets somewhere.

They went straight in the trash when I cut them off---- And I see you are in Charlotte--- I was born and raised in Charlotte in fact a North Charlotte guy

21 hours ago, BIG STU said:

They went straight in the trash when I cut them off---- And I see you are in Charlotte--- I was born and raised in Charlotte in fact a North Charlotte guy

Yes, we moved here in 1977 from Columbia SC.We live in Myers Park and I play  at Myers Park Country Club. I see you're in Garden City. Where do you play you golf? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hoganman1 said:

Yes, we moved here in 1977 from Columbia SC.We live in Myers Park and I play  at Myers Park Country Club. I see you're in Garden City. Where do you play you golf? 

Indian Wells was my home course here until it closed for good December 21st. For now I am hanging my shingle so to speak at Indigo Creek across the street. But I do play all around the beach with several different groups. I have played MP quite a bit in the past. My lifelong friend who is still in Charlotte is a member at Pine Island CC which is also a wonderful track. My old man was the pro and managed the old Paradise Valley course on 29 back in the 60s and 70s----- Yep all the old public courses from back in the day are gone except the old Sunset Hills course.

Edited by BIG STU

On 1/1/2020 at 9:01 AM, fixyurdivot said:

With or without sandguards?

Image result for classic footjoy golf shoes

Now that's old school. 👞

My :1590477705_SunMountain: C-130 cart bag currently includes;

Driver: :srixon-small: z565 10.5*, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6 S-Flex
Fairways:  :callaway-small: X-Hot 15* & 18*, Project X PXv R-Flex
Irons: :benhogan-small:Apex Plus, 4-PW, Apex S4-Flex
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CG10; 50*, 54*, 58*, Dynamic Gold W-flex 

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro Blade #2
Grips: Golf Pride MCC-Plus 4 & Lamkin UTx
Ball: Kirkland Signature 3-Piece 

Well, this thread got off topic.  10 posts about Walter Hagen golf shoes, and 21 posts about something else.

For the price these shoes are worth it.  I tried walking 9 holes a week ago and while they are comfortable, my heel is a little loose and slid up and down.  I didn't get a blister, but I wish the heel of the shoe was not so rounded.  I need a snugger fit.  The shoes are fine for riding in a cart, but there are better options for me when walking.

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Sorry. We did get off topic. I have an older pair of WH shoes and they fit perfectly. I've found that all the Walter Hagen apparel is great. I have several shirts too.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Now with a healthy two handful of rounds, half of them walking, these are still feeling great and wearing very well.  I like them so much I just ordered a second pair (still on sale).

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)