1. 1. My grip is

• Very Weak
    • Weak
    • Neutral
    • Strong
    • Very Strong

Our Sponsors

13 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

I heard it said that the golf ball is the best teacher. So if you're hitting it straight why change. On the other hand...........

Definitely, “on the other hand”. 🤣 This might be something to look at, my “full swing” is all over the place right now. And, I’m realizing that, my full swing has gotten exponentially worse since I weakened my grip for chip shots. Maybe I let that change into all of my clubs. I definitely need to investigate this more thoroughly. 

• Like 1

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I voted strong, but I'm probably on the border of neutral and strong.

• Like 3

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 19* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo (4-PW) Dynamic Gold Pro S300
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 50*, 54*, & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura 6m 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

I'm slightly strong. I used to be strong+, but I would have a tendency to hook/pull a lot of shots on a bad day. Weakening my grip slightly has proven to be the ticket for me.

• Like 2

I put "neutral," but only because that's the average of both hands. 🙂

I'm currently rocking a strong-to-very-strong left hand and a weak-to-very-weak right hand, a.k.a. butterfly grip/bio-K grip, with a Vardon overlap, at the suggestion of the teacher I started going to. I had been using a very weak baseball grip and was having all sorts of issues with club path and face-to-path. When I was on, I hit a pull fade, off and I'd slice the ball off the planet.

Changing the grip immediately changed my path from out-to-in to in-to-out on Trackman, and also got my club face more closed at impact. After a few buckets trying to hit hooks, I am now to the point of a reliable straight/push baby draw, a first for me. My miss is left when I get too inside on the backswing.

I toyed with a strong left and right hand about midway through the summer and played pretty well from early July to late August. I should have probably stuck with it then, but it never felt right to me. What I'm working with now just feels a whole lot better for me, I just turn through and forget about trying to actively square the club face.

• Like 4

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 9.8 (Last Updated July 25, 2020)

2020 MGS #COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE PARTICIPANT #TEAMSCALVESLIKEPHIL - Check out all of the action over here!

#CC4 WITB (Cobra x Vessel SpeedZone Stand Bag)

Driver: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme (9°, set to Draw), 44.5", Aldila Rogue Silver 60 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
3W: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone (15°), -3/4" SHORT, Aldila Rogue Silver 70 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
17° Hybrid: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, -1/2" SHORT, UST Recoil 480 ESX F4, Lamkin Sonar Connect
4-GW: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, 2° Flat, -1/2" SHORT, KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
54°, 58°: :cobra-small: Cobra KING MIM Black, 3° Flat, -1/2" SHORT (54°), -1/4" SHORT (58°), KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
Putter: :taylormade-small: TaylorMade Spider X, 33", Golf Pride Tour Only Red Star
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow / :srixon-small: Srixon Z-Star XV Tour Yellow
Tracked By: :Arccos: Cobra Connect powered by Arccos

Strongish, but its neutral for me. My left thumb runs down the shaft about 30* to the right of top dead center. That’s around 1 oclock.

3:00 would be with your thumb on the very back of the shaft at 90*off top dead center. 1:30 is half that at 45*. 1:00 is 30*. (Or 360 degrees in a circle and 360/12 = 30)

To check your grip, grip the club normally, then remove your trail hand . Then lift the club and point it straight out from you. Then turn the handle til your thumb is top dead center. Where does the clubface point?

Note the second picture below.

IMG_3321.thumb.jpg.32a4850ad45f43219daf7f62a542a710.jpgIMG_3319.thumb.jpg.94a91643078554516f4ab76d9f2e7277.jpgIMG_3320.thumb.jpg.cc88cc27dfb4b09cdb69157de76f5c3a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I've got a slightly strong left hand with seeing two knuckles, and my right hand is very strong and tucked under. In my opinion, grip position is totally based on your swing style. If you have relatively fast hip motion and love to hit a draw, then strong is the way to go. If you have trouble getting shaft lag and you like to hit a fade, then weak is the way to go. For most people, especially slicers, I would recommend a strong grip. It overall encourages less arm and wrist movement, and less movement is always better in the golf swing.

• Like 1

:titelist-small: TS3 9* (Tensei AV Blue 55 Stiff Flex)

:titelist-small: TS3 15* (Tensei AV Blue 65 Stiff Flex)

:titelist-small: TS3 18.5* (Tensei AV Blue 65 Stiff Flex)

:titelist-small: T100 4-PW (Project X LZ 6.0 120)

:titelist-small: SM8 50* F Grind; 8* Bounce (Project X LZ 6.0 120)

:titelist-small: SM8 54* F Grind; 10* Bounce (Project X LZ 6.0 120)

:titelist-small: SM8 58* M Grind; 8* Bounce (Project X LZ 6.0 120)

:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Triple Track Ten S Putter

:titelist-small: ProV1

"Practice like you've never won. Play like you've never lost."

try to keep my grip neutral; when the hooks start creeping in, my right starts getting a little under the club.  My daughter's teacher drastically strengthened her grip to help generate clubhead speed.  Like Adam Young says, it's all about matchups.  The farther away from neutral; the more you need some sort of compensation to match up.

• Like 2

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
2 Hybrid - Titleist 585 (17*) - Titleist 4175 ( R )
4i - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Forest Green)
Ball -  :Snell: MTB-X
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I was taught to play with an interlocking grip with the Vs pointing at my right shoulder (righty). I used this grip for 20-25 yrs. When I was young and generating tons of CHS, it was fine. I was a picker and hit the ball a mile high, but I always struggled with directional control though. When I hit my late 30's and started to lose some distance, I decided to try playing a bit stronger grip. Must have took me 2 yrs to unlearn all the stuff I had to do to hit with my original grip, but once I figured it all out, I started hitting the ball LOTS better. I play far better now than I ever did then. Left hand I can see 3 knuckles at address and the V points at my right elbow. Right hand, however, is literally where it always was with the V pointing at my right shoulder. I overlap now of course because interlocking just doesn't feel right. If I let the right hand go stronger, I start losing them left. This grip allows me to swing as easy or as hard as I want with no adjustment at all. I use the same grip with every club except putter. Drivers, irons, wedges, sand, whatever. It's just automatic and there is NOTHING I have to remember when swinging. Just set up to the shot I want to hit and go.

BT

• Like 2

Neutral, been that way for years. I had a strong grip but was changed by an instructor and happy for it.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

On 12/13/2019 at 10:42 AM, GolfSpy MPR said:

I just picked up Brandel's book this past week, and he (like a number of instructors throughout golf history) is an advocate of a strong grip. My tendency has been a neutral-to-weak grip in the past, so I've been tinkering with a stronger grip. One thing I've noticed: it's much easier to get my forearms properly oriented on the downswing with a stronger grip. Simple experiment: turn you trail hand grip to a weaker position, and notice that it immediately encourages your trail arm to move above (rather than under) you lead arm.

So I'm continuing this experiment.

But I wanted to ask: how would you characterize your own grip?

I had this problem when I started in 2012. I had a strong grip and couldn't hit the left side of a fairway if you held a gun to my head; everything was a wide open face. My coach changed it from strong to neutral or weakish neutral and I could finally hit a draw. However, it did promote my trail arm getting high and closing my shoulders. I have to kinda watch this but I'd say my grip is still neutral. 

• Like 2

Just read through this after a lesson - working on short irons - where the coach had me slightly weaken my grip from (slightly strong?) to more neutral (RH'ed - so left thumb vee pointing up at left/lead shoulder, not back at right shoulder) .... with good results! Again: short irons; we did not swing longer clubs this session but he suggested I may need the slightly strong grip on longer irons. 

fwiw: typically a hair weak on partial wedge shots.

• Like 2

WITB of an "aspiring" 😉 play-ah ...
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 3W/HL (17*; Tensei CK Blue)
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 7W (Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway Big Bertha 4H (Recoil ZTR)
..Tour Edge HL4 #4 iron-wood (UST Mamiya)
..Callaway Big Bertha CF19 6i (Recoil ZTR) / Apex CF16 7i-PW (Recoil ES 760)
..Hogan Equalizer 50/54/58 black (Recoil ES 760 black SmacWrap)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g)
..all in a Datrek Hybrid bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator...
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/39526-2020-official-member-review-exputt-putting-simulator/page/1/#comments

Went to the simulator tonight and played around with my grip strength with very interesting results. For the past month or so, my swing has consisted of pull hooks, and not much else. By slightly weakening my left hand and strengthening my right hand, I was able to hit small draws and baby fades much more regularly. I’m going to keep messing around with it, and see what happens.. 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 2

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

On my return to golf, I had to almost most start over in terms of grip. It seems I started a it too weak, so my coach ad me go to a some hard grip and THEN move to a somewhat more neutral grip.  It as worked fine these past three years. Too hard of a grip also tires my hands quite a lot as I have major arthritis in my right  hand.

• Like 2

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 Super Bowl Champions Bag  :  :ping: G410 Plus, Alta Red CB 55 SR Flex, GX-7 14º(acting as a 3 wood),  :ping:   G400 4H, 5H. Sr Flex,   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges graphite SR Shafts (50º, 56º, 60º),  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g :bridgestone: e12 for the items I try to hit on purposematte red, so I can see them. :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

On 12/16/2019 at 4:39 AM, edingc said:

I put "neutral," but only because that's the average of both hands. 🙂

I'm currently rocking a strong-to-very-strong left hand and a weak-to-very-weak right hand, a.k.a. butterfly grip/bio-K grip, with a Vardon overlap, at the suggestion of the teacher I started going to. I had been using a very weak baseball grip and was having all sorts of issues with club path and face-to-path. When I was on, I hit a pull fade, off and I'd slice the ball off the planet.

Changing the grip immediately changed my path from out-to-in to in-to-out on Trackman, and also got my club face more closed at impact. After a few buckets trying to hit hooks, I am now to the point of a reliable straight/push baby draw, a first for me. My miss is left when I get too inside on the backswing.

I toyed with a strong left and right hand about midway through the summer and played pretty well from early July to late August. I should have probably stuck with it then, but it never felt right to me. What I'm working with now just feels a whole lot better for me, I just turn through and forget about trying to actively square the club face.

I am going to experiment with a strong left hand, with a neutralish/slightly weak right hand. From some experimentation at home (practice swings only without ball), this grip for me automatically returns the club to square without any manipulation. I didn't even know that this style of grip was actually a thing until the last few days. My struggle has been right hand getting too far under the grip (too strong) and hitting a lot of snappers. 

• Like 1

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Fujikura and Nippon fan. Connoisseur of grips.

Updated 7/14/2020
Driver:taylormade-small:SIM Max 10.5 - Fujikura Ventus Red 5S Velocore (the real one)
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:callaway-small:Mavrik Max 5 - AW - Nippon Neo 950GH S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge flex
Putter:  :scotty-small: Squareback 1 - Sense Grips S1 - Stability Shaft

Current Putter Collection:EVNROLL: ER10 Outback,  :bettinardi-small: 2017 Studio Stock 3, :cameron-small: La Costa 1st 500, :scotty-small: Squareback 1 (2008)

22 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

I am going to experiment with a strong left hand, with a neutralish/slightly weak right hand. From some experimentation at home (practice swings only without ball), this grip for me automatically returns the club to square without any manipulation. I didn't even know that this style of grip was actually a thing until the last few days. My struggle has been right hand getting too far under the grip (too strong) and hitting a lot of snappers. 

This is now a very comfortable grip for me. I'm glad my coach showed me it because I had tried strong/strong and had the hooks, as you've experienced. 

If I get the club into a good position going back, I hit nice straight/slight draw now. If I get too far inside then I still get snappers. I had a handful of drives and a couple irons today like that.

Good luck!

• Like 2

2020 MGS #COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE PARTICIPANT #TEAMSCALVESLIKEPHIL - Check out all of the action over here!

Driver: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme (9°, set to Draw), 44.5", Aldila Rogue Silver 60 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
3W: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone (15°), -3/4" SHORT, Aldila Rogue Silver 70 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
17° Hybrid: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, -1/2" SHORT, UST Recoil 480 ESX F4, Lamkin Sonar Connect
4-GW: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, 2° Flat, -1/2" SHORT, KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
54°, 58°: :cobra-small: Cobra KING MIM Black, 3° Flat, -1/2" SHORT (54°), -1/4" SHORT (58°), KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
Putter: :taylormade-small: TaylorMade Spider X, 33", Golf Pride Tour Only Red Star
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow / :srixon-small: Srixon Z-Star XV Tour Yellow

6 minutes ago, edingc said:

This is now a very comfortable grip for me. I'm glad my coach showed me it because I had tried strong/strong and had the hooks, as you've experienced. 

If I get the club into a good position going back, I hit nice straight/slight draw now. If I get too far inside then I still get snappers. I had a handful of drives and a couple irons today like that.

Good luck!

How weak is your right hand? I find (in practice swings only) that if I weaken the right hand too much, the face starts coming down open which for me would lead to a flip at the last minute and a snap hook. I'm going to try right hand V pointing slightly right of my chin.

• Like 1

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Fujikura and Nippon fan. Connoisseur of grips.

Updated 7/14/2020
Driver:taylormade-small:SIM Max 10.5 - Fujikura Ventus Red 5S Velocore (the real one)
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:callaway-small:Mavrik Max 5 - AW - Nippon Neo 950GH S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge flex
Putter:  :scotty-small: Squareback 1 - Sense Grips S1 - Stability Shaft

Current Putter Collection:EVNROLL: ER10 Outback,  :bettinardi-small: 2017 Studio Stock 3, :cameron-small: La Costa 1st 500, :scotty-small: Squareback 1 (2008)

8 hours ago, dlow206 said:

How weak is your right hand? I find (in practice swings only) that if I weaken the right hand too much, the face starts coming down open which for me would lead to a flip at the last minute and a snap hook. I'm going to try right hand V pointing slightly right of my chin.

Sounds like a similar position to me, perhaps weaker though. I feel like my right palm is facing my target when the club shaft is vertical.

Note that I mentioned this is with the club shaft straight up and down. I play with a slight forward press, so at address to the ball my "V's" and knuckles don't match up with what they were at shaft vertical. 

IMG_08032020_074020_(600_x_800_pixel).jpg.7655081e51c360411d45865690188f7e.jpg

• Like 1

• Like 2

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Neutral.  I find that if I go strong, I hit hooks and if I go weak, I hit blocks; so neutral allows me to hit a nice, little draw.

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?:

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* and Top-Flite Gamer 2020 15*

Hybrid: Tommy Armour 845 19*

Irons: Pinemeadow ZR 3.0 5-PW

Wedges: Wilson Harmonized Black Chrome 52*, Tommy Armour VCG 56*, Wilson Harmonized 60* and Wilson Harmonized chipper

Putter: Wilson Augusta

Ball: Maxfli Tour X