44 members have voted

1. 1. My grip is

• Very Weak
    • Weak
    • Neutral
    • Strong
    • Very Strong

Our Sponsors

Here's my 6i. I'd say mine is neutral to slightly strong - agree?  I try and have a loose, natural feeling grip across all my clubs. The short period of time when I reached out to a local pro for lessons (like 30 years ago), that resulted in a very frustrating period of golf, he included a change to a stronger grip. He did this to move me from a soft fade to draw ball flight. It never felt natural to me and I struggled with it.  I use an overlap vs. interlock pinky fingers - that was another change he made... and one of the few that stuck.

thumbnail?appId=YMailNorrin

Left hand is closer to neutral, right hand is stronger, I know hands are supposed to "match" but I can't help it, I have issues.

I tested out the very strong left hand, neutral/weakish right hand and it was a game changed with the driver. It mitigated the snappers and let me really go after the ball.

Still a work in-progress to get the right feel with irons with the new grip and how exactly I should best set my hands, but still very promising. 

• Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 9:48 AM, PlaidJacket said:

I was going to write exactly what is contained in this article - grip is important but much like many other things golf there is no magic, general, this is what works best for everyone answer.  My grip is on the strong side.  It wasn't always that way - I read Golf My Way and Hogan's five lessons and of course adopted a weak interlocking grip.  I hit fades all over the place with that grip.  The more I grew and the stronger that I got those fades could turn into pull hooks.  I took a lesson while in college and the pro tried to force me into a strong grip - I hated the way it felt and gave up on lessons for a while - slowly but surely though I realized that a strong grip and hitting draws, alla Tom Watson whose build is similar to mine, was the much better way to go.  As a right handed baseball player I naturally saw the ball moving right to left and had far better control of it that way. 

I don't think there's anything approaching a right grip for all - but I fully agree that there's a right grip for you and figuring out how to consistently grip the club is important.  I'm sure that its okay to grip the club differently for chips and especially sand shots but this should not interfere with or be confused with the full swing grip.  Just develop a good pre-shot routine that includes taking the proper grip - for you.

• Like 4

Agree that it isn't a one type fits all.  That said, how many of you focus on trying to have more relaxed grip pressure?  That is something I try and focus on and that helps my consistency.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

Agree that it isn't a one type fits all.  That said, how many of you focus on trying to have more relaxed grip pressure?  That is something I try and focus on and that helps my consistency.

... A loser grip can make a huge difference! But the biggest fault I saw by far, was not holding the grip in their fingers but in their palms. Even many of those that told me they hold it in their fingers, actually held it too much in their palms. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, chisag said:

... A loser grip can make a huge difference! But the biggest fault I saw by far, was not holding the grip in their fingers but in their palms. Even many of those that told me they hold it in their fingers, actually held it too much in their palms. 

Yea, good point.  I know as I get older, my fingers seem to get fatigued faster and I compensate with increased palm pressure.  

• Like 1

I used to have a REALLY loose grip at address. But found something later in life that caused me to re-think it. It also has something to do with the fingers / palm argument. Before I start, I agree whole 100% that the grip is a very personal thing and everyone has to fined their own. That being said, here is my experience.

I began playing at 10yrs and was taught the standard interlocking grip with Vs pointing at my right shoulder (righty). I was quite athletic and played baseball a lot. Needless to say I struggled with a slice for years. At 23 (1985), I got my first set of custom fitted irons (if you want to call them that) I got a grip lesson during and the fitter recommended I rotate my right hand more weak and focused on rolling my hands through impact. The guy was well recommended, so I took his advice. Now, this felt completely different to the swinging motion I used for years in baseball. However, I stuck with it. My consistent slice be an erratic anything from slice to hook since I had difficulty timing the rolling of my hands. Over time I got fairly good control and could keep the ball in play most of the time. Keep in mind I had a CHS in the mid 120's and hit the ball a pretty good distance. So OB was a common thing I had to deal with unless the course was wide open. I played with this setup until I got to the age of appox 38. At that point I had been watching PGA players for a long time and noticed that most had a stronger left hand than I did. I decided to change my grip.

Being a father of 4 and not having a lot of spare cash, I obviously didn't take lessons. I spend a great deal of time at my cousins driving range working my grip stronger. Everything was way left because I was still rolling those hands through impact. I eventually realized that I needed to stop rolling my hands. After a couple of years re-training myself, I got it in pretty good control. But it seemed every time I wanted to really crank one, I would hook it off the planet. As is taught now, I would always take a really relaxed grip when going for extra distance. At that time, I gripped the club mostly in my fingers and after some research, figured out that if I squared the clubface at address with my grip loose, it would close several degrees when my grip tightened during the swing. I did some more research on grips and figured out I was too much in the fingers. My fingers were usually perpendicular to the shaft if I looked at them from below. I changed my grip to where they were more at a 45* angle and the hooking issue was greatly lessened. Adjusting the face alignment to be square when my grip tightened gave me perfect control. I also found during experimentation that it was possible to have my grip TOO LOOSE. I like to push the club back with my left hand to start the backswing and found I didn't have good control if my grip was too loose. I found I hit the ball best when I have relaxed arms and slight tension in the last 3 fingers of my left hand.

I am playing the best golf of my life now and really wish I had known what to look for initially. It would have saved me a lot of frustration.

BT

BTW, when looking through some of the links above, I stumbled upon this - http://kelvinmiyahiragolf-articles.com/index.php/articles/articles-2/2015-articles/144-2015-instinct-golf

This is literally exactly what I discovered over the years and how I found my grip.

Slightly strong grip at address is neutral at impact with the correct body turn.

• Like 2

On 12/13/2019 at 12:13 PM, tony@CIC said:

I use to play with a neutral grip and then my instructor converted me to a strong grip. It played havoc with my game for about a month this past summer - but I'm glad I changed it. Definitely had positive results by the end of the season. 

My instructor did the same to me: I think his exact quote was, “ you have a scratch golfers swing and 25 handicaps grip.” ( I was a 15 at the time) so he drew arrows on all my gloves to help me see how to grip the club: I couldn’t shake the feeling that I was going to break my arm holding the club like that for about 2 months! Overall I think it took a season for my strong grip to feel “normal” 

weak grip: 15 handicap 

7 iron carry distance: 160 yards

strong grip; 7 handicap 

7 iron carry distance: 185 yards

• Like 1

I learned today that i have been fundamentally holding the club in my left hand incorrectly. No matter how many knuckles i saw, my grip was too strong or even stronger than too strong. Had a fundamental misunderstanding of hold it in the fingers. See below for what i had been doing. After correcting it, golf is becoming easier.

Incorrect left hand below:
83EA1218-C43A-4325-9253-9887A36869CD.jpeg.ce68b92e106b1f899b4a230c4ad8b766.jpeg

F3919909-24AB-413C-A102-190A8046FACB.jpeg.bd77c80d0f1cb06210e0f73224e0eb99.jpeg

• Like 1

What I have found is that because I was putting my left hand on incorrectly, even when seeing two knuckles, my left wrist was super cupped. So then my wrist angle at the top would be cupped but with a closed clubface. This would cause a steep shaft in transition which started opening the face. With irons, my compensation would be to pull and swing way left. Sometimes I could manage to square the face but the trajectory was always super low. My miss though with irons would be the left pull or just taking the biggest divot you have ever seen. With a driver, it required so much compensation that I am not sure how i ever hit a decent shot. With the driver, I would end up swinging more on a rightward path but the cupped wrist would keep the face open and then I would usually close the face shut right before impact and get a snap hook of occasionally i would leave the face open and hit an OB push right.

I am trying to understand what are the downfalls of a weak left hand? If I keep my left hand weak and my right hand neutral, my left wrist naturally bows at the top, i come down less steep, and my clubface is square at impact.

Neutral to slightly strong. 

like Harvey Penick says...if you have a bad grip you don’t want a good swing 
Another Penick fan!!

Take Dead Aim

I have a fairly Stronk grip. Hit draws all day and eliminate misses to one side

Take Dead Aim

Slightly strong? 2 knuckles visible.

I'm sorting this out right now. I procured a new driver and irons which are the first new clubs I've purchased in 10 years. I've hacked around for many years without a lesson and have recently committed to allotting more time for the game including lessons. I previously had a stronger grip but decided to start at neutral and with the club properly settled into the fingers of my left (lead) hand. This resulted in an extraordinary display of dispersion from the left OB to the right OB with a few in between. I was shocked at the impact just a few small grip adjustments could have on my shot making ability. I'm on the front end of this and back on the simulator this week to try and sort it out. Thanks for the helpful information.

• Like 1