Middler

Who Has The Cheapest Putter in Daily Use?

Just for fun.

Not that old Bullseye that's gathering dust in your closet, a putter that's in your bag week in and week out. I play league with a few guys with old putters that probably aren't worth $25, some who putt well enough. I doubt cost of putter correlates that strongly with strokes gained putting from what I see.

If you didn't pay for it, actual estimated value - IOW my neighbor gave me a Scotty Cameron for Christmas doesn't count if it would have cost you hundreds.

I won't win, I only own two putters and the cheapest was over $200. Let the race to the bottom begin...

Edited by Middler
  • Like 2

Not me, but the guy I play four ball events with putts with the original bullseye. He has putted with it his whole life it is beat to hell and is not worth its weight in scrap. He's a +1.

• Like 3

Got a $19 slot line I'm using Also have a $39 Heavy putter

And personally I can't see paying over a hundred dollars for a putter.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

I bought this TourEdge Backdraft for $25 off the clearance rack of a golf shop circa 2003 in Virginia. I originally used it briefly and opted for my PING G5i B60 which I had in the bag until last year. I pulled this guy out in the last 6 months, had it regripped with a new Winn grip and it’s been in the bag since. I can’t trade it in because it’s not worth anything. Sadly I paid more to have it regripped then I paid for the putter.
IMG_0017.jpgIMG_0016.jpgIMG_0015.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I don’t have a pic available as I’m on Long Island for the holidays. My clubs are much smarter then me, they’re down in SC not freezing their butt off, 😢.

I bought a brand new YES! Tracy head on eBay. Won the auction for $12:50; and free shipping. I then had the proper length and bend shaft and a Winn pistol grip installed by a local fitter. He also attached a laser to the head to adjust the proper loft and lie(at least I think that’s what he was doing, lol)

Anyway the entire bill came to about $30 labor inc, for what is now a custom built putter that I love.

Edited by Grand Stranded
  • Like 2

Well, I just swapped out putters, but the one I took out 2 weeks ago was $0 (gifted to me so its actual value is higher).  The one in the bag was $89

• Like 2

14 hours ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Not me, but the guy I play four ball events with putts with the original bullseye. He has putted with it his whole life it is beat to hell and is not worth its weight in scrap. He's a +1.

Well scrap is going for around .03 a pound right now so it may win ( I work for a metal recycling company) But on the original question I will throw my hat in the ring because this can be subjective. My Scotty Cameron Santa Fe came off the scrap pile literally. It was rusty and beat to crap. I did give .05 for it because scrap was up at the time. I have not had anyone offer me jack for the thing because it is pitted and the sole is terrible. I have more money in the grip than the actual putter and the grip is an old school Lamkin wrap. I have a bag full of all kinds and vintages of putters that I gave anywhere from .03 to .07 for but to qualify I do game the Scotty front line. post-4406-0-79091300-1495142533_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

My current putter is not a candidate but for a bit a about 10 years ago I played a Scotty TeI3 Newport 2 that I bought through a charity auction for $25 in 8/10 shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Hilarious. I feel pretty stupid with my premium putter when I play with someone with an old beat up putter, who putts better than I do. It happens all to often. ☺️

A few guys in our league are still using persimmon woods - with tiny heads relative to today’s 460cc. I think I’d probably whiff about half the time. Respect.

Edited by Middler
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Middler said:

Hilarious. I feel pretty stupid with my premium putter when I play with someone with an old beat up putter, who putts better than I do. It happens all to often. ☺️

A few guys in our league are still using persimmon woods - with tiny heads relative to today’s 460cc. I think I’d probably whiff about half the time. Respect.

I still hit persimmon quite a bit. In fact it is a part of my practice routine when I seriously practice. Makes that 460 Homna hit easy. But I will let you in on a little secret us older guys grew up with the little heads because that is all we had and we are sorta ingrained and instinctively inclined to hit them. I never switched to metal until around 01 02 and then my first metal driver was a small headed 300 cc Founders Judge. I do know for a fact I was the last man standing on the SE mini tours playing persimmon

• Like 5

I had a Newport 2 and a used Ping Zing($10) that gamed interchangeably for about 14 years, putted more w/ the Zing (had it for 18 years) and putted better with it.  If I still had it I'd probably go back to it.  I've had 4 putters this year alone.

Edited by LakeCowboy
  • Like 1

Ive got a $25 Wilson Augusta that I put in the bag from time to time.  Its basically a Bullseye clone.  I sometimes wonder why I dont make it my fulltime putter because even on my bad days I seldom 3-putt with it.  I believe its because the putter has no cavity, no offset, no lines and no gimmicks.  Its just you and the ball, so it takes much of the thinking part of your mind out of the game.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

21 hours ago, ZenGolfer said:

Ive got a $25 Wilson Augusta that I put in the bag from time to time.  Its basically a Bullseye clone.  I sometimes wonder why I dont make it my fulltime putter because even on my bad days I seldom 3-putt with it.  I believe its because the putter has no cavity, no offset, no lines and no gimmicks.  Its just you and the ball, so it takes much of the thinking part of your mind out of the game.

That and a Bullseye along with anything 8802 style is what I call a bare balls no frills no BS putter. All of those have a sweet spot the size of a dime and will let you know in a heartbeat if you are off center. I actually train some with a Bullseye and a PGA Tommy Armour Ironmaster. I actually got my instinct and feel back from practicing and gaming a flange Bullseye. I will let you in on another little secret the Wilson Augusta as well as the Bullseyes no 2 are alike in feel due to different mixes of the base material. If any you have feel good to you better hang on to them.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BIG STU said:

That and a Bullseye along with anything 8802 style is what I call a bare balls no frills no BS putter. All of those have a sweet spot the size of a dime and will let you know in a heartbeat if you are off center. I actually train some with a Bullseye and a PGA Tommy Armour Ironmaster. I actually got my instinct and feel back from practicing and gaming a flange Bullseye. I will let you in on another little secret the Wilson Augusta as well as the Bullseyes no 2 are alike in feel due to different mixes of the base material. If any you have feel good to you better hang on to them.

When I first started out playing golf in the late '90s, one of my first putters was a Wilson Augusta, then I upgraded to a Titleist Bullseye.  I still believe that one of the reasons why Im such a good putter is because I started out with a Bullseye and the feel and feedback that those putters gave me taught me a proper putting stroke.

I recently went back to more oldschool putters because I got tired of putters with gimmicks that mostly dont do anything other than convince people to buy a new putter every couple of years.

• Like 1

My $120 Ping G2i Craz-e that I bought back in 2005 is not the cheapest, but I'm at the point where I've spent less than $10/year on it.  What I'm really surprised at is that the used club sites are getting $60 for them.  Then again, it's a great putter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ZenGolfer said:

When I first started out playing golf in the late '90s, one of my first putters was a Wilson Augusta, then I upgraded to a Titleist Bullseye.  I still believe that one of the reasons why Im such a good putter is because I started out with a Bullseye and the feel and feedback that those putters gave me taught me a proper putting stroke.

I recently went back to more oldschool putters because I got tired of putters with gimmicks that mostly dont do anything other than convince people to buy a new putter every couple of years.

Exactly you got it man---- You know what side the bread is buttered on------  Saw the newest on TV last night which is a putter that stands by itself. Does not matter one hill of beans what it does you still gotta hit it in the sweet spot and put a good stroke on it through the hitting zone

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HardcoreLooper said:

My $120 Ping G2i Craz-e that I bought back in 2005 is not the cheapest, but I'm at the point where I've spent less than $10/year on it.  What I'm really surprised at is that the used club sites are getting $60 for them.  Then again, it's a great putter.

Yep in some circles those are becoming a cult classic. Nothing wrong with them if you like what I call a mallet style putter. Yep it and the Odyssey 2 ball are what I call the classics of the mallet world along with certain Ray Cook mallets. Yep I have a couple of certain Ray Cook mallets even though I am not a mallet man. there is one thing about me like in this case of not being a mallet man I can still appreciate and respect certain designs and types.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Exactly you got it man---- You know what side the bread is buttered on------  Saw the newest on TV last night which is a putter that stands by itself. Does not matter one hill of beans what it does you still gotta hit it in the sweet spot and put a good stroke on it through the hitting zone

Ive seen that putter.  Its interesting in that you can set the putter up and then kind of step back and make sure its aimed properly.  It has its merits but Im not interested.

• Like 1