Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Cleaning white golf shoes?

perseveringgolfer

After months of mud and dirt the white FJ shoes look a state- even after wiping after each round- the mud and dirt gets ingrained and they look tatty for $150 shoes.

So, who has tried and tested guaranteed way to get them looking much better than they are?

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

2 hours ago, Middler said:
  • Clean with mild soap and water regularly, dry with soft clean towel.
  • Keep them on shoe trees when not in use.
  • Gently use a Magic Eraser once in a while.
  • White shoe polish a couple times a year, use clean rags/towels. Regular old Kiwi for about $2 works fine, but you can spend more for a fancy polish.

Polishing shoes seems to be a lost art, but it's a great way to keep all your shoes looking great for a long time, and it costs next to nothing.

I've kept my white shoes looking great that way for decades...

image.png.2bdb865b2fa698cc55f9aef5554dc6d1.png

Thanks, good advice for keeping them clean. Issue is with all the mud and dirt the last few months, it's ingrained. Short of buying new ones (which I have already done for the new season) I'd like to get these leather mofo's looking respectable again 😉 

4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

11 minutes ago, Middler said:

When routine cleaning and Magic Eraser aren’t enough any more with ‘dirt ingrained’ usually in creases, polish takes it out or covers it up. Shoes look almost new again - I’ve done it dozens of times. Try it, you’ll see. Will cost you about $2. Or use Saddle Soap to deep clean and condition, then polish, also cheap.

Polishing shoes is a lost art, ask any vet. I grew up polishing all the shoes in our family weekly, military Dad...

Thank you.

I like the idea of saddle soap to deep clean first, then white solid polish applied by hand and cloth, not a fan of the liquid polishes, never seems to work as well on black shoes.

As an aside I used to find it therapeutic to clean my shoes many years ago so quite looking forward to doing it properly. Any other tips from a military man most appreciated.

• Clean with mild soap and water regularly, dry with soft clean towel.
  • Keep them on shoe trees when not in use.
  • Gently use a Magic Eraser once in a while.
  • White shoe polish a couple times a year, use clean rags/towels. Regular old Kiwi for about $2 works fine, but you can spend more for a fancy polish.
Polishing shoes seems to be a lost art, but it's a great way to keep all your shoes looking great for a long time, and it costs next to nothing.
I've kept my white shoes looking great that way for decades...
image.png.2bdb865b2fa698cc55f9aef5554dc6d1.png

Great tip on the Kiwi white polish. I've used the liquid white polish that you sponge on but it's basically a coating that looks terrible after a few times.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

5 shops today and not one sells white shoe polish- tons of black and tan plus suede but no white!!

One thing you should definitely avoid is brushing to get the dirt out. I did it with my first pair and the waterproof qualities were gone shortly after.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

20 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

After months of mud and dirt the white FJ shoes look a state- even after wiping after each round- the mud and dirt gets ingrained and they look tatty for $150 shoes.

So, who has tried and tested guaranteed way to get them looking much better than they are?

OxyClean in the spray bottle.

Shout in the spray bottle.

I've used both of these, and when I spray the shoes I then take a scrub brush to remove all evidence of dirt and debris.  When I am done they look as good as new.

I should also add that if you want clean shoe laces just throw them in the sink and bleach them in hot water for 15+ minutes.  The tongue of your shoe will not be helped much by any of these remedies.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

Being a boater and having to waterproof the canvas covers on occasion I always have a bottle of 303 waterproofing hanging around. I spray my shoes occasionally after they're cleaned - it seems to keep the dirt from penetrating. Also spray the laces after they've been cleaned. And yes I am a bit OCD 🙂

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I watched a bit of a behind the scenes show about the Major League Baseball clubhouse personnel and what they do. This team's clubhouse folks clean the cleats with Scrubbing Bubbles cleaner.

I tried it on my dirtiest golf shoes, and except for the foam in the soles it worked like magic.

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

4 hours ago, Middler said:

Oxyclean, Shout or other aggressive cleaners will work if you’re not too aggressive scrubbing AND you follow with a leather conditioner immediately after. If you don’t, you’ll shorten the life of the leather. If the uppers are synthetic it probably doesn’t matter.

Your clothes go in the wash after spraying with Oxyclean, Shout, etc. - it’s not meant to be left on to dry penetrate.

I’d try a Magic Eraser before resorting to Oxyclean FWIW.

https://h2obungalow.com/how-to-clean-white-leather-furniture/

I spray Shout on them, scrub with the brush, rinse off with a hose, and dry with a towel.  And since I only paid $60 for either pair of my Skechers, they are no doubt synthetic, so no worries about leather issues.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

When I worked at a country club back in the late 80s - early 90s, we always had white shoe polish for the members' shoes (and our own).  When I stopped working in the shop, I stopped buying white shoes.  We always used the Kiwi white (and the Kiwi black - I had a pair of navy blue FJ Classics that I'd polish with black to make them really dark).

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

• 3 weeks later...

Update.

wiped with damp cloth.

cleaned with magic marker (worked well)

Further clean with saddle soap (worked even better)

Finally applied white shoe polish (not liquid) and a light buff.

They look superb for a shoe I've worn on average 2 times a week for 3 years in all weathers!

Final part is put in new cleats to have a pristine 'new' shoe for the season.

Heres the kicker though-see what I did - they are Adidas Adi Power boost, all internet searches say the cleats were never intended to be removed and would last 2 seasons!!! so I have plastic stumps and not cleats now. Meh!

• 5 months later...

I use a damp cloth ans wipe down after each round. However I do spray all my golf shoes when they are brand new with jason markk repel. Not sure if it does much, but i'd like to think it prevents major stains

Right Handed

Taylormade sim2 9 degree ventus black 7x ( velecore) 44.5

Callaway epic flash sz 5 wood 17 degree tensi AV blue X

Mizuno CLK 19 degree tensi av blue X

Callaway x forged 16 4-pw Project x 6.0 +.75

Vokey SM7 black 50/54/58 Project x 6.0 flighted +.5 length 

Scotty cameron newport 2.6 34 length

• 3 years later...

I've heard that a Mr Clean type magic eraser pad works well on the white golf shoes. I haven't tried it myself but I know a few guys that swear by it.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I've used the Mr. Clean Magic Erasers on my white shoes and it works great.   Not sure why...I guess that's why they call it magic!

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

Yea I am a magic eraser guy 100% and for laces soak them in water with oxiclean

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!