TESTERS WANTED! ×

Ping ANSER Irons! (FORGED)

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

Ping Anser Irons – First Large Production Forged Iron EVER by Ping!

Now you might think this is the first forged iron Ping ever made but actually it's not. The first forged irons ever produced by ping (1961) were actually forged blanks that Karsten milled cavities into. They were his first cavity back irons and only a couple hundred were produced before he turned to investment casting that would revolutionize the industry.

Will Be A BIG Hit in Japan & US As Well (In Fall)

The Ping Anser Forged 2010 Iron I think will be a massive hit when they are released in April in Japan. And as far as we know when they are released in the US later in the Fall they will fly off shelves as well. I feel it was the next logical step for Ping to make…although when we heard the rumors about this a few months ago I was shocked to hear about it. That is because Ping had stuck to their guns for so long when it came to casting there clubs…and the quality of their castings were done so well. But this allows them to grab a piece of the market that they might not have been able to in the past and will open more doors down the road I feel.

What They Are Made Of

The Ping Anser 2010 irons are made of 8620 carbon steel with a partial tungsten sole. They have a larger then average sole width and offset as well. So you might ask why forged and why now? Well the Japan market prefers forged irons and this will in our opinion dramatically grow their market share in that market. And why the wide sole and offset on a forged iron…well the Japan market prefers this style a little more then a pure blade as well. I also feel that they will eventually come out with a more traditional forged blade in the US in the coming years. Well as long as they feel it will improve on the other blades on the market. Because that is what Ping is all about.

The looks are similar to the Ping i15's and when we tested the i15 irons there was not much you could say bad about them really. The only way they could improve on them might be the feel and the 8620 forged version will surely improve on that. Even though Ping's castings are some of the best in the business when it comes to feel already.

So guys what do you think about the “1st Ever Large Production Forged Iron by Ping”?

ping-anser-iron-1.jpg

anser-2.jpg

#TruthDigest

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SPY VIP

The area which is usually a decal for tuning purposes is solid steel.

I wonder if the heads will be forged in the US or in Japan?

I'm also curious if the area with the Ping badge in the cavity will is the tuning port, or if it's all steel?

#TruthDigest

It has a nice look to it and I'm sure it will be awesome, btu anybody think theres a bit too much going on in that cavity? JMO

I really like the cavity. I can see where some might think it has too much going on, but I think it is just right. I can't wait to see how the irons feel compared to other forged cavity back irons.

• SPY VIP

Yes a little...but Ping has never been on the great looking radar in my opinion. I think the Ping logo area where they typically have a decal is what makes it too busy.

I think it would have looked sharp if they kept the horizontal lines on that area.

It has a nice look to it and I'm sure it will be awesome, btu anybody think theres a bit too much going on in that cavity? JMO

#TruthDigest

I'm skeptical myself. I'm not a big fan of most CB forged irons and when I think of forged, I certainly don't think of Ping. I am interested in why Ping felt the urge to go to forged all of the sudden...perhaps Mizuno is eating up their market share.

3JACK

Author of Pro Golf Synopsis. The Moneyball approach to golf strategy and analysis.Driver: Wishon 919THI, 10° loft, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7x, 44-3/8” long, 2,825 kg/cm^2 MOIGONZO WOOD: confidential2-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 17° loft, 40-7/8" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)3-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 20° loft, 40" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)4-6 iron: Wishon 575MMC (CB)7-PW: Wishon 575MMC (MB)SW: Edel Golf driver grind, 52° loft, 16° bounce, Nippon WV 125 shaft.LW: Edel Golf Digger Grind, 60° loft, 27° bounce, Nippon WV 125 ShaftPutter: Edel Golf Columbia Custom Made, 35" long, 72° lie angle, 3° loft. Ball: Titleist Pro V1xGrips: PURE Grips P2 Wrap (red)Shoes: FootJoy Dry-Joy (black, size 14)3Jack's Golf Blog - http://3jack.blogspot.com

I'm skeptical myself. I'm not a big fan of most CB forged irons and when I think of forged, I certainly don't think of Ping. I am interested in why Ping felt the urge to go to forged all of the sudden...perhaps Mizuno is eating up their market share.

3JACK

I think a lot of companies are eating up their market share when it comes to players irons. Ping not having a forged offering, to me, kind of holds them back.

I like a forged cavity back. There are a lot of solid models of forged cavity backs out there on the market today. It at least gives you a slight bit more forgiveness as compared to forged blades.

• SPY VIP

It is because it reaches a particular piece of the market in Japan which opens them up to a new market over there.

3JACK

#TruthDigest

Does anyone know who's doing their forging? Could they possibly be done by Endo or Miura? Is it possible that PING is doing this themselves? They do their own casted irons correct? How much does it or would it costs PING to set up a shop that's set up for casting and then switch or add forging to their House?

Tim

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

Wow, PING has created an exceptional iron. Is it me, or is there going to be a new market in the US similar to that of Japan, with the high end forgiving forged irons. Look at Callaway (Diablo Forged) and PING (Anser Forged). I wish Nike (Machspeed Forged) and Taylor Made (Burner Forged) would follow suit and release those here as well. Are you listening Nike and Taylor Made??

Current bag: Some Callaway, some Cleveland. Down to 2 OEM's!

yea those look good, I can imagine them offering a black star finish via there wrx dept

now that would be cool

Oh man, wouldn't it. I didn't think about that. But can you imagine those in the PING Black Nickel finish. Oh my, NOW THAT would sell like hotcakes!

Current bag: Some Callaway, some Cleveland. Down to 2 OEM's!

these things are going to sell like CRAZY. i work at a pro shop and our orders for G15's and i15's are constantly being sent out to Ping HQ...these will be even more popular. will be interesting if Ping decides to come out with a pure blade or improve the design of the S57 with forging.

Is it possible that PING is doing this themselves? They do their own casted irons correct? How much does it or would it costs PING to set up a shop that's set up for casting and then switch or add forging to their House?

Tim

Ping no longer casts irons in the US. All the casting for irons and wedges is done in China as of late last year. I'm 80% sure the forging is also done in China. The Rumor is the irons will not be available in the US until the Fall. I expect a retail price of $150 per club. I am of course speculating. If S57's are 112.50 per club, forged irons HAVE to be more, right???

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I've read somewhere that these are not "true forgings", but nevertheless they look very sweet ! Hope they come to Europe soon. I'd sure love to try them !

In custom James Stewart golfbag:
Ping Tour-S Rustique 60/TS & 55/13 / Ping CFS Stiff / Ping ID8
Ping i20 4-PW+UW / Ping CFS Stiff / Ping ID8
Ping G15 2H 17° & driver 9° / stiff aldila serrano / ping 703
Odyssey White Hot XG 2-Ball / 33" / 2°up
Srixon AD333 - Oakley Flack Jacket XLJ G30

Does anyone know who's doing their forging? Could they possibly be done by Endo or Miura? Is it possible that PING is doing this themselves? They do their own casted irons correct? How much does it or would it costs PING to set up a shop that's set up for casting and then switch or add forging to their House?

Tim

Tim,

I fairly sure that Ping is now or soon will be

having all their casting done in China, a move made

to be able to compete. The forgings, since its 8620

may also be done in China, though I'm not sure on that.

John

Adams 9064LS 10.5 R.I.P. Reg. gold eye

Cleveland DST 3 wood (17) Redboard Reg.

Clevelamd DST 7 wood Redboard Reg.

Mizuno MP 52 4-PW Nippon Pro 950 R + 1/2"

Scratch 53* DS

Scratch 60* SS

Cleveland Classic 2 Putter 35

Ping Anser Putter

Scotty Studio Select Newport ( for trade )

Kinda looking for some Srixon 701 Tour heads

Addias Stand bag

Ping USA Staff bag

Srixon TriSpeed Tour & Titleist Pro V1X & Srixon Z Star X

Archived