Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Ping ANSER Irons! (FORGED)

GolfSpy_X

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to TourSpecGolf, in the Japan market the Steel sets have a suggested retail of $1320.00 USD for 5-PW with graphite a $300.00 upgrade. The Ping Anser Forged will be offered with Ping AWT and ZZ65 steel shafts as standard. The standard graphite shaft will be a TFC615i in Regular, Stiff/Regular and Stiff Flexes.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

I've read somewhere that these are not "true forgings", but nevertheless they look very sweet ! Hope they come to Europe soon. I'd sure love to try them !

What would that even mean? Maybe there are plastic pieces that aren't forged (obviously).

What would that even mean? Maybe there are plastic pieces that aren't forged (obviously).

Perhaps people are reacting to the hollow tungsten sole (the picture of the cut away was in the original post).

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

According to TourSpecGolf, in the Japan market the Steel sets have a suggested retail of $1320.00 USD for 5-PW with graphite a $300.00 upgrade. The Ping Anser Forged will be offered with Ping AWT and ZZ65 steel shafts as standard. The standard graphite shaft will be a TFC615i in Regular, Stiff/Regular and Stiff Flexes.

Ouch, that's painful.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Stopped by my club today, and the Ping rep just so happened to be there talking to our pros. I asked about the Anser Forged clubs, and he let out this little tid-bit: they will be available in the US in late fall on a limited basis. Also....they will be one of the most expensive sets of clubs ever sold.

Looking forward to hitting the Blades (thinner sole and less offset). Is Ping going to produce these in the USA?

What BLADES?

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

So ping have made a forged iron. They look nice. Anyone know where they are forged?

I asked the same thing about who's doing the forging???? No answer as of yet must be TOP SECRET! :) :P

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

• SPY VIP

Stopped by my club today, and the Ping rep just so happened to be there talking to our pros. I asked about the Anser Forged clubs, and he let out this little tid-bit: they will be available in the US in late fall on a limited basis. Also....they will be one of the most expensive sets of clubs ever sold.

Figured they would be pricy, plus with Ping's rules on pricing, they will be expensive for a while.

I asked the same thing about who's doing the forging???? No answer as of yet must be TOP SECRET! :) :P

You could ask TSG about the forging. :P

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

My big question is this.... The PING custom fitting process has been second to none for years now... Being that this is a forged club and will be much more prone to bending/lie angle changes.. what impact will this have on the custom fitting process/potential lie angle work? As we all know, irons.. ESPECIALLY FORGED, need to get checked on a regular basis for any changes in lie/loft... PING has been known for their statistically amazing heat treating process to their irons... (if you want to bend PING, you send to PING)... Simply curious about what a forged club from PING will do to their infamous fitting scenario...?

"Hey Ace... You got any more of that gum?" "That's none of your damn business and I'll thank you for staying out of my personal affairs." - Ace Ventura Pet Detective

My big question is this.... The PING custom fitting process has been second to none for years now... Being that this is a forged club and will be much more prone to bending/lie angle changes.. what impact will this have on the custom fitting process/potential lie angle work? As we all know, irons.. ESPECIALLY FORGED, need to get checked on a regular basis for any changes in lie/loft... PING has been known for their statistically amazing heat treating process to their irons... (if you want to bend PING, you send to PING)... Simply curious about what a forged club from PING will do to their infamous fitting scenario...?

That's a good point. You mentioned they're "amazing" process for cast clubs, maybe it'll translate to forged clubs, or maybe they have created a forged equivalent.

Wow, this is a super looking club! One of my earliest sets was a Zing2. To this day, that set was still one of the most forgiving irons I'd ever bagged. While I haven't played a set of Ping irons since then, I've alway had a soft spot to give a set a try. Could this be the 'anser'?

Funny you mention the Zing2's and forgiveness -- when I was in the golf business (up to around 2000), even after Ping had made several other models, the Ping rep one day told me how the original Zing iron was the most forgiving iron of any club -- from any maker -- that Ping had ever tested. They just got a bad rap for looks....and no one would buy them.

• SPY VIP

Funny you mention the Zing2's and forgiveness -- when I was in the golf business (up to around 2000), even after Ping had made several other models, the Ping rep one day told me how the original Zing iron was the most forgiving iron of any club -- from any maker -- that Ping had ever tested. They just got a bad rap for looks....and no one would buy them.

Would you suggest that a high capper look at a set like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ping-Zing-Iron-set-Golf-Club-2-PW-SW-10-Clubs_W0QQitemZ310206692104QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGolf_Clubs?hash=item4839c27b08#ht_500wt_1182

or do you think that the modern options since the Zing would be a better choice?

Volvo Intorqueo

Would you suggest that a high capper look at a set like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ping-Zing-Iron-set-Golf-Club-2-PW-SW-10-Clubs_W0QQitemZ310206692104QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGolf_Clubs?hash=item4839c27b08#ht_500wt_1182

or do you think that the modern options since the Zing would be a better choice?

(I didn't scour the listing, just saw what they were)

First off, I recommend any beginner, recreational, or high handicap to buy a quality used set as opposed to a new set.

I also think a high hndcp couldn't go wrong with a set of Zings. Even when they get better, they'd still be a great set of clubs. Hey...Kirk Triplett chose, and choses, to play the Zing2's on Tour. IIRC, Westwood stuck with the Zing2's for a long, long time after Ping came out with new stuff. IMHO, if the Zing2's are good enough for those guys -- the original Zing's ought to be good enough for any of us.

They sure were ugly, but they helped set the precedent for all of today's forgiving clubs.

• SPY VIP

(I didn't scour the listing, just saw what they were)

First off, I recommend any beginner, recreational, or high handicap to buy a quality used set as opposed to a new set.

I also think a high hndcp couldn't go wrong with a set of Zings. Even when they get better, they'd still be a great set of clubs. Hey...Kirk Triplett chose, and choses, to play the Zing2's on Tour. IIRC, Westwood stuck with the Zing2's for a long, long time after Ping came out with new stuff. IMHO, if the Zing2's are good enough for those guys -- the original Zing's ought to be good enough for any of us.

I did not know the zings had the tour presence too, thanks.

They sure were ugly, but they helped set the precedent for all of today's forgiving clubs.

Looks are subjective, I like the looks of them. They are all angular and crazy looking, but to me that is cool. :)

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

I have a friend who is sponsored by Ping. He got pissed when i told him about these irons because he just got i15s a week ago. He hadn't heard of the ansers

While it is hard to feel bad for someone who is sponsored :) let your friend know that these will not be out for a while. Depending upon his deal, he may be able to enjoy the i15s and then roll into the forged in fall/early next year.

Volvo Intorqueo

While it is hard to feel bad for someone who is sponsored :) let your friend know that these will not be out for a while. Depending upon his deal, he may be able to enjoy the i15s and then roll into the forged in fall/early next year.

Those are some pretty sick irons, I'd hate to wait that long for them to come out. Luckily, I am satisfied with my Titleist CB 690

• SPY VIP

Those are some pretty sick irons, I'd hate to wait that long for them to come out. Luckily, I am satisfied with my Titleist CB 690

Totally get that, I just got my putter today that I ordered in Dec.

It is so sweet though that the wait was well worth it.

Volvo Intorqueo

I have a friend who is sponsored by Ping. He got pissed when i told him about these irons because he just got i15s a week ago. He hadn't heard of the ansers

Can't be hard for someone who is sponsored to swap out his irons for a newer model.

They were ugle-e-e-e (even by Ping standards).

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

How do you know? You weren't even alive when these were released. :huh:

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Welcome... good to see another Chicago guy on here!

You bring up a very interesting point. Ping frowns upon adjustments being made to their clubs by third parties but with the forged does that mean customers will have to ship their babies back to Ping for loft/lie adjustments on a frequent basis. That would get old and expensive real quick!

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Archived