perseveringgolfer

The Irishman

Our Sponsors

Wasn't sure about the Joker based on the trailers, but once watched it was exceptional.

On the flip side The Irishman had me counting down the days till release, a Scorsese movie with a mouthwatering cast of proven gangster actors, whats not to like?

Well in my case, everything! Slow story, long long movie (tried twice and couldnt finish it), de-aging cgi def detracted from many scenes as they didn't look 'quite right', however it was a very good effort, apart from seeing De Nero giving a poor shopkeeper a kicking while looking exactly like you would expect a 76 year old to kick while fearing a fall!

Interested in other peoples views, good or bad? Maybe I just expected to much. 

• Like 1

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

I thought it was pretty good. I was more interested in the history, and how they’d portray Sheeran’s statements about killing Hoffa. It was long, but it kept me intrigued enough. I’m not a fan of DeNiro, personally, but I like the gangster movies especially if they’re based on actual accounts. Too much spent on how the wives needed to stop and smoke.... Heck, not even sure if it was needed in the movie at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :srixon-small: Z585 4/5 iron, Z785 6-PW, :Nippon:Modus 120X

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

I enjoyed it - loved Dinero and thought his time with the hospice nurse at the end was spot on - not the best movie that I’ve ever seen because it was slow in spots.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Alpha Distanza 40 weak R flex shaft

Tour Exotics EX 10 3 wood

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Really enjoyed seeing Joe Pesci again! Otherwise I thought the movie was a little disappointing.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

On 12/16/2019 at 12:23 PM, perseveringgolfer said:

Wasn't sure about the Joker based on the trailers, but once watched it was exceptional.

On the flip side The Irishman had me counting down the days till release, a Scorsese movie with a mouthwatering cast of proven gangster actors, whats not to like?

Well in my case, everything! Slow story, long long movie (tried twice and couldnt finish it), de-aging cgi def detracted from many scenes as they didn't look 'quite right', however it was a very good effort, apart from seeing De Nero giving a poor shopkeeper a kicking while looking exactly like you would expect a 76 year old to kick while fearing a fall!

Interested in other peoples views, good or bad? Maybe I just expected to much. 

I'm glad I'm not alone in how I felt about this movie.  I got about half way through it, and turned it off.  Absolutely unwatchable.

It's like they decided to throw together the same tired cast of characters and regurgitate the same gangster type mob movie with all of the typical cliche things, and make another movie about it, with no creativity, no originality, and man, was it the slowest movie I have watched in awhile.

DeNiro and the rest of this crew just need to retire and go away.  Seriously, put a fork in them, they are done.

• Like 3

• :ping-small: G400 Driver, 3 Fairway
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Irons - 18° & 21°
  • :Hogan: Ft. Worth Hi Utility Iron - 24°
  • :callaway-small: Forged Razr X 6-A Wedge irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 54° & 58°
  • :ping-small: Sigma2 Tyne Putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:NX7 Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

5 minutes ago, GSwag said:

It's like they decided to throw together the same tired cast of characters and regurgitate the same gangster type mob movie with all of the typical cliche things, and make another movie about it,

I haven't seen it and wasn't planning on it either. I'm not much of a movie guy anyway. Certainly not in the more recent years. Hollywood etal is mostly garbage IMO. But, without seeing it I can certainly picture what Gsag and others online have said about it. Exactly what I thought had I gone to see it. I actually (used to) like De NIro (Meet the Parents) - (Pesci (My Cousin Vinny) stuff like that. But De Niros especially; lunatic public rants of late have turned me off. Oh well... like they say; if you don't like them don't watch them. You're right. And I don't. 🏌️‍♂️

• Like 5

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

12 hours ago, revkev said:

I enjoyed it - loved Dinero and thought his time with the hospice nurse at the end was spot on - not the best movie that I’ve ever seen because it was slow in spots.

... I am with you Rev and I certainly enjoyed watching it. It is SAG Awards time and I have to watch all nominated films and the Irishman is one of them.  I am a little surprised by some of the negative comments because it is acted well, written well and has some interesting cinematography and as always with Scorsese an excellent soundtrack. That said it is not without faults. I understand some found it too long (it is), the story is nothing new and if you have seen Scorsese films in the past, this is just more of the same... all true. But I try and watch every film on it's own merits and if I had never seen a previous Scorsese film I would have been extremely impressed by the Irishman.  

• Like 1

Driver:   Cobra Speedzone Xtreme 9* ... Tensei Pro Orange 60r
Fw wood: Cobra Speedzone 14.5* ... Atmos TS Blue 75s
Utility:   TaylorMade RBZ Tour Hy ... Matrix Altus 85 hy
Irons:    4-Gw Titleist T100-S ... Kuro Kage 105 Tini s-flex
              4-pw TaylorMade P760 ... Recoil Prototype 95 r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind /SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Recoil 110s
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5x

13 minutes ago, chisag said:

Scorsese an excellent soundtrack

... The Last Waltz. (yes, I'm old. LOL)

• Love 1

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

21 minutes ago, PlaidJacket said:

... The Last Waltz. (yes, I'm old. LOL)

One of the best ever, and my college buddies and I used to watch that almost weekly back in 2003. That concert/movie transcends generations. 

In my :ping-small: Hoofer:

:titelist-small: 975D 10.5*

:ping-small:  Eye 2 Persimmon Woods (3/5)

:wilson_staff_small:  D7 4-GW, KBS 105

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54.12 SS & 58.10 SS

:ping-small:  Zing 2 LW - 60*

:ping-small:  Anser 2

Glad to see I wasnt the only one disappointed. Too long and moved too slow, apparently its not the most accurate either 

• Like 1

Driver  :titelist-small: TS 2, Hzrdus Smoke Black Stiff 9.5* Setting, A2

Fairway Wood:   :ping-small: G30 Stiff Shaft

Hybrid:   :titelist-small: TS2 19* Hzrdus Smoke Black Stiff shaft

Irons:     :titelist-small: 718 AP1 (4-PW) AMT Red Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX4 52* 56*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Did not like it. As someone who loves movies I often never notice how much time the movie is taking. This movie i noticed time was passing very slowly.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app