DOWN

Why?
Because golfballs.com has a very cool technology called AlignXL that:

• Has One hundred and eighty degree pole-to-pole visibility
  • Allows personalization INSIDE the line
  • Is durable and does not rub off
  • Can be added to balls from golf's top brands

AlignXL-ball-solo-personalized.png

BUT.... will it make YOU a better golfer?

AlignXL_Personalized.jpg

That is what these 6 lucky chaps are here to find out.

Join me in congratulating our 6 testers for a test that many of us are very keenly interested in hearing the results from.

@HardcoreLooper
@JoshAndersonGolf
@B.Boston
@J.B. TexasEx
@Tarheelvolvo
@jfergus7

AlignXL-spin-personalized.gif

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

AlignXL – Official MGS Forum Review by HardcoreLooper

It’s your favorite former caddy and like Brian Johnson, I’m back in black.  Black alignment lines, that is.

If you’re new to the forum, I’m Mike Eovino (a.k.a. HardcoreLooper), playing out of the microbrew capital of the Mid-Atlantic - Richmond, VA.  I’d like to thank the academy, err… MGS, for selecting me for another test. It truly is an honor just to be nominated…

For those of you who’ve been here a while, you may remember me as one of the five competitors in the Cobra Connect Challenge II (a.k.a. greatest thread ever).  For my day job, I manage consultants and consulting engagements for the greatest software company on earth. When not at work or on the road, I help teach kids life skills and leadership through the game of golf at The First Tee of Greater Richmond.  I play a large majority of my golf with my two amazing daughters, one of whom is a freshman at William and Mary and plays only on vacation, while the other is navigating the wilds of middle school. My long-suffering wife supports all of our golfing adventures and promises to start playing this spring.  Stay tuned.

I started playing 41 years ago at age 8, knocking wiffle balls around the yard and playing a par 3 course with my dad and grandfather a couple times a year, but I really didn’t get a chance to play regularly until I started caddying in 8th grade.  I played all through high-school, being good enough to be almost competitive in tournaments that mattered. When the coach at college told me I’d be wasting both his time and my own by trying out, I put the clubs in the corner and played a few times a year with my dad or with buddies.  But I kept on working at the club over the summer, and I still hit balls a few times a week, because I knew I’d start playing seriously again once time, circumstances and finances allowed. Once I got a decent enough job and some buddies looking for a chance to play, I was back out on the course on the regular.  But it’s gals before pals these days, and I wouldn’t trade these times with my girls for anything.

One thing I do want to do this year is mix in some VSGA one-day tournaments.  If nothing else, they’re a great way to get in some low-key competition and play some courses you might not otherwise play.  

I was a dyed-in-the-wool Pro V1X player for ages, but the MGS ball test opened my eyes to some competitors like the Snell MTB-X.  I was just about to try some out, and then I won a sleeve in the @JohnSmalls Hard Rock Challenge.  And the highest praise I can give them is that I can’t tell the difference between the MTB-X and the Pro V1X.  I’m sure a Titleist staffer can, but I can’t.  I tend to like a little higher spinning ball because I hit it low with my irons (every spot is a spot for that Trap Draw).  I currently play to a 6.5, but we’re squarely in the middle of the “do I really feel like playing in this?” season, so I’ve only played a couple times this month.  Off the tee I make no attempt to align anything, but I’ve used the side-stamp for putting alignment as long as I can remember.  With the long alignment line in my Ping Craz-e, it really works for me.  I’m an eyes-over-the-ball putter, so parallax error is not a huge worry for me.  If you’ve read the recent Golf.com article by Emily Haas on the subject, I’m certain that I’m a linear putter.

First Impressions

Unlike many of the testers, I was out of town when this arrived.  But I was beyond excited when I got home, and I broke the box open before I left the FedEx parking lot.  

IMG_20191230_202738833.jpg

Needless to say, Golfballs.com did not disappoint.

IMG_20191230_202937835.jpg

I’d heard plenty about their quality, but it really stood out.  I was expecting the printing to be sharp, the line to be straight, no noticeable clear-coat or anything over the printing.  Every ball was just perfect.  And would you really expect something else printed on balls played by an old looper?

IMG_20191230_203044041 (1).jpg

Being a staunch fan of line-alignment for putting, I would expect to putt better with the AlignXL than with a regular ball using the sidestamp.

IMG_20200105_150208273.jpg

Tee to green, my expectation is that the printing will hold up after repeated full shots.  If the mark is chipping significantly after just a few shots, then it’s just going to be unpleasant to look at while putting.

Getting it out onto the course the first time, I pointed the alignment line in all sorts of directions, as I just can’t be bothered to orient the ball in a certain position off the tee.  And I quickly realized that the orientation of the line wasn’t bothering me.  I’ve hit enough striped range balls in my day that it didn't affect me; I don’t play many courses with “PRACTICE” stamped Titleists stacked in neat pyramids next to my station at the range.  My range balls generally come out of a machine after I feed it a token or two.  So since the line wasn’t bothering me, I oriented it so I’d hit it on every approach shot.
IMG_20200112_212017473.jpg

IMG_20200112_212002201.jpg

After all of those iron shots, making only one barely visible mark on the ball was pretty impressive.  I would have been disappointed if the print was looking pretty ragged after the round, but I wouldn’t hesitate to game that ball again.  

On-course putting was inconclusive.  I certainly felt good putting the AlignXL, but I didn’t putt any better or worse with it.  This didn’t surprise me, and I knew I’d need to go to the mat (the PuttOUT mat) to generate some data.

For indoor testing, I played the 20 rounds of PuttOUT Challenge, where you hit a putt from the 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 foot marks.  A made putt is one point; a perfect putt (stops in the small target hole) is three.  240 putts all told.  Here's the results:

1 missed one putt from six feet with the line and one without the line.  Both of them hit quite a bit of the hole; I like to think that both of them would have lipped in.

After all those putts, it was a tie, 145-145.  No Line won the first 10 round bout on Super Bowl Sunday, and Line won the second 10 rounds.  I would have loved to hit even more putts to generate even more data, but I thought I'd have more perfect putts with the line than without.  That being said, I’d say that this test is inconclusive.  It takes a little bit of luck for a perfect putt to stay in the micro target; any imperfection in the mat can knock the ball off-line enough to miss the inner target but still be well within the hole.  Actually, I did come to one conclusion… bending over constantly to line up the line gets old quickly.  But at MGS, we go the extra mile for you.

The line pairs very nicely with the lines on the PuttOUT mat, especially the crosshairs at 3’ and 6’, and the line does act as a training aid to let you know if you’ve put a good roll on the ball.  

(Please note the stylish green socks with the brown plaid pajama pants; it was late when we made this video)

But the Pelz “O” ball gives the same result (possibly even better), and you can buy a three-pack for $9.99.  Or you can draw a line on one of your own balls for free and keep it forever.  

Grading

Looks & Durability (14 out of 15 points)

• The out of box experience is outstanding.  I was so excited to break into that box. 
  • The line and printing held up extremely well.  I’m subtracting one point for the small crack in the line, but then nobody's perfect.
  • Every ball in the box is absolutely identical.  It’s to be expected, but greatly appreciated.  Golfballs.com is at the top of the game.
  • The line does not distract me at all, but then neither do sidestamps, Sharpie marks or pink flower Golfdotz (courtesy of my youngest daughter).

Off-Course Testing (8 out of 15 points)

• I wanted the line to make a difference in my off-course practice putting, but as stated above, the testing was not conclusive.  

On-Course Performance (20 out of 40 points)

• I do not use any alignment guide on the tee.  Golf takes long enough to play; I don’t want to slow things down any further, so this doesn’t generate any value for me and I’m not factoring it into my scoring.
  • On the plus side, the line didn’t bother me anywhere on the golf course, just as a sidestamp doesn’t bother me.
  • I expected the line to help me on the greens, but I didn’t putt any better or worse using the AlignXL line than I usually putt.  I was disappointed to see this, but that’s what I observed.

Miscellaneous (10 out of 10 points)

• Golfballs.com is a first-rate company and definitely made a positive impression with the note in the box.  Being able to personalize the line definitely adds to the cool factor of the product.  If I drew alignment lines on my balls or if personalized balls were important to me, I’d purchase these balls without a doubt, so I’m giving them the maximum points for this category.

Game Bag or Shag Bag? (10 out of 20 points)

• I’m really torn here.  I love the line, and I love having something funny printed on the ball.  But I have to ask myself, would I pay for this myself?  The Snell MTB-X ball is a value play for those of us who played the Pro V1-X for so long.  A dozen MTB-X at Snell.com has an MSRP of $32.74 and drops as you buy more than one dozen.  A dozen at Golfballs.com with AlignXL and text is $42.90, and the ball and printing price doesn’t drop as you buy more (shipping is a flat $5.95).  I don’t mark my golf ball now that I play Snells and I don’t draw a line on them, so there’s no convenience factor for me.  I have a hard time paying more for features that don’t deliver any value for me.
  • “For me” is an important point to make.  If I drew a line on my ball (like my dad does), if I played personalized balls, or perhaps even if I marked my ball with a pen, these would be worth it for the convenience.  After all, it’s not that much more.  So I do think that AlignXL has value for some golfers.    

Conclusion
The AlignXL line looks great, and it’s cool to personalize your ball at a reasonable price.  But if you’re a golfer like me that’s looking for value and doesn’t put a mark on their ball, I have a hard time recommending spending extra on AlignXL.  I’ll certainly continue to play this dozen balls, as they definitely don’t detract from my game.  Perhaps I’ll see something in future rounds, and I’ll update accordingly.

Final Score: (62 out of 100)

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Thank you to MGS for selecting me to test the golfballs.com AlignXL.  My first impression is that these are awesome.  I have always been a Sharpie user and I did not like having to reapply the line after a few holes.  These look like they should stay on the entire round, we will see.  I did get to play some golf this weekend in San Diego and I will be getting photos of the balls used up this weekend.  In the mean time I have attached some photos of what the balls look like new and the letter from Brad with golfballs.com.  Very nice touch. 

balltest2.thumb.jpg.020855547646a60ec28eb24eb76bf5d6.jpg

balltest1.thumb.jpg.353d6fd2fc357fa7d7876f1ec78aa86e.jpg

balltest3.thumb.jpg.de706fa5d13ea6e2e67193b85443f806.jpg

balltest4.thumb.jpg.590075a684e53f106690e59b1578088c.jpg

MGS Golfballs.com AlignXL Reivew         

First, a huge thank you to MGS and Golfballs.com for letting us review this way of marking golf balls.  I have been a member on here since 2014 and I really enjoy all of the testing that we get to do.  I currently play to a +2.1 index.  I try to play in many amateur events in Illinois and I am always working to get my game to the next level.  Having a consistent routine and lining up putts the same, every time is a key to success for me and that is what I will try to base this review on.

This was a little different test as I live in central Illinois and the weather this time of year is not the best for golf.  I grew up playing golf in western PA and as far back as I can remember I put a line on my golf ball.  When I was in high school, the original Pro V1 came out and I put a line under the word Titleist to line up my putts.  I still put a line on my golf balls to this day to line up on tee shots and putts.  Last year I played the Titleist Pro V1 and had some very good success with that ball.  In 2020, I am going to do my own testing this spring to determine what ball is best for me.  For this review, I chose the Snell MTB-X in yellow.  I have used Snell balls in the past with success, but it is time to find which ball is the best.

IMG_0730.JPG

First Impression

Now I understand we are ordering from a website (golfballs.com) and the packaging is not fragile.  We are dealing with golf balls.  That said, I was impressed with how well packed and secure the box was.  Once opening the box, it was more than I expected.  There was a hand written letter from the CEO of golfballs.com congratulating us on being selected for this test.  That is a very nice touch.  There are a few other companies doing this and I feel this goes a long way as it shows there was time taken for your order.  Under the letter was the box of Snell MTB-X golf balls that I ordered.  From the looks of this, you could not tell anything would be different with these golf balls.  Once I got a sleeve out you could see a nice thick line on each ball with the print FORE PLAY ONLY.   I ran my fingers over it, and it was not raised, no bumps, bubbles or anything. It was just as described a nice thick black line. 

IMG_0732.PNG

No line

IMG_0733.PNG

Line

Looks & Durability (13 out of 15)

Now being winter here in Illinois I did not have many chances to play.  I was able to play 2 times in San Diego and 3 times in Florida.  During these five rounds, I used these balls at various points to see how they would hold up.  I will say my game was not where I would like it to be, and the longest a ball made it was 15 holes.  I have always marked my ball with a Sharpie, and this requires me to remark my ball several times during the round.  With the align XL from golfballs.com I did not have to worry about that.  I now the lines were scuffed up, chipped, but that is what I feel is normal abuse on a golf ball.  I would give these 13 out of 15 in this category.

IMG_0747.JPG

IMG_0748.JPG

Off Course Testing (12 out of 15)

I have been using these balls on my putting green in the basement.  I have noticed that it is a thicker line than what I was making with a sharpie and that I do like.  In a couple of weeks I will have my hitting bay made up and will be able to hit balls in the garage.  Until then it will be just putting in the basement.  The line is something I have always used so I was not surprised by anything I see here with the indoor practice.

On Course Performance (38 out of 40)

Again, have used a line on my golf ball for years.  Always with a sharpie.  The sharpie line would fade every few holes and I always have to redo the line.  Not anymore!  The AlignXL line is perfect.  It held up to full wedge shots, drives and even the random cart path.  I like how thick the line is and how it helps with alignment.  From off the tee, I use it to be in line with my target.  Putting again is the same thing.  I do want to point out that the line is much longer than the sharpie line I used and I think this helps even more with lining up.  What impressed me the most was how well the line stayed on the ball, it did get chipped and scratched, but it was never going to wear off over the course of a round.  The AlignXL was everything I expected it to be.  Good-bye Sharpie!

Miscellaneous (10 out of 10)

This is where little things matter.  The note from the CEO of Golfballs.com, the package was secure, I think you could have shipped glass in there and it would have been delivered in one piece. The AlignXL was everything it was advertised to be.  I would recommend it to anyone who likes having a line on your golf ball.

Game or Shag bag (18 out of 20)

The AlignXL takes marking every with a Sharpie out of play.  Being a golfer that likes a line on the ball I will use these every round I play.  I might not play the Snell golf ball but I will be playing a ball with the AlignXL line on it.  It will save me time and effort during my round as I will not have to worry about the Sharpie line coming off in the dew or rain.  This might not sound like a worry, but it is when you play in competition and you want to make sure you have the right ball.  The AlignXL will make it much easier to identify your ball and help with alignment.

Conclusion

If you like using a line on your golf ball I would recommend using golfballs.com and the AlignXL.  You can customize the line with your own saying and color, an awesome feature that makes the golf balls yours.  I will be ordering my golf balls with the AlignXL this spring once I figure out which ball I will be using in 2020.

TOTAL 91 out of 100

IMG_0529.JPG

Edited by JoshAndersonGolf
update photos

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

Golfballs.com AlignXL Alignment Aid – Official MGS Forum Review by B.Boston

The Review 02/13/2020

AD2FF45D-86F6-4485-9470-9A99814625DD.thumb.jpeg.eacbf1789677998dc1b5673afe9f30f0.jpeg

Hey spies! It’s time for me to sum up some of my thoughts on the golfballs.com AlignXL customization for you!  If you couldn’t tell from my username, I live in the Boston area and it is decidedly NOT the golf season.  While I haven’t been on a real golf course since Black Friday I have been swinging by the simulator to stay as fresh as I can (hey, come on… it was supposed to be 45 degrees out).

6985ECDC-E32D-4EB1-B5C4-1FD72C08722D.thumb.jpg.1731e1f5e8d79c98f899c572a5d7a0f8.jpg

I typically play the Pro V1x as I have been for many years.  I do occasionally try other premium balls if I find one that looks to be in decent shape and haven’t found anything to take its place.  I decided on the regular Pro V1 for this test because I feel they are much closer now in performance than ever before and I wanted to give them another shot.  I have never really used a line on the ball outside of the built-in alignment aids.

RenderedImage.thumb.JPG.6a9de9f4875b262279a8ee30c7483de5.JPG

With that out of the way its time to get into the details!  The golf balls arrived very quickly from golfballs.com upon notice of shipment.  I came home from work just a few days later to find a nicely branded shipping box on my doorstep and a dozen beauties waiting inside.  They came in the normal Titleist box and outside of knowing they were going to have the AlignXL stripe on them you wouldn’t know.  I opened the lid to find a nice handwritten note from the Marketing Director of golfballs.com (very nice touch!). 

IMG_7738.thumb.JPEG.ba0120c6e393769a8cac51d6fd9e958c.JPEG

At the macro level the quality is very good.  I looked at each of the dozen and from an arms length I saw no imperfections, nothing out of place, and the printing on the AlignXL was sharp and precise.  At the microscopic level I’d say the printing is good, while the Titleist script is exceptional, and probably the gold standard for what I’ve seen on balls (That might be the strangest statement I’ve ever written.)  The custom text was clear with just the slightest fuzziness on the edges.  The lines themselves were straight, with maybe a few areas here and there that were slightly splotchy or fuzzy.  If you hold them up to your eye, from a normal playing position down by your feet the text and line looked crisp, clean, and saturated.  Very impressive considering the customization options available!

IMG_7743.thumb.JPEG.0c067143b674d0df7240128dba3782a1.JPEG

IMG_7749.thumb.JPEG.f354fa732c440a3335ed2af3d3ab39b9.JPEG

IMG_7746.thumb.JPEG.42153b5c6f90b4a4c2b20d402e2bb54f.JPEG

IMG_7748.thumb.JPEG.d5712b8939138e3b3578bd73e2a0a8c3.JPEG

But at the end of the day, what good are pretty balls if they don’t help me score better? (Never mind, THAT was the strangest statement I’ve ever written).  In order to see if the alignment aid was going to help me sink more putts, I set up my practice mat on multiple occasions and rotated between the AlignXL ball, a standard Pro V1 Alignment aid, or randomly dropping the ball.  Now I only had the 5-7 feet to putt on, so I used the “perfect putt” as my main metric for performance on my PuttOut.  I also took the balls to play a few rounds on the simulator to put the printing through a torture test and see how well it would hold up the the abuse of multiple rounds.  On the plus side, no balls were lost during testing, which may be the only positive thing about winter in New England! 

AlignXL Ball: *Note how the line almost appears solid on a well struck putt.

Standard Ball:

Here is what the ball looked like after two full rounds in the simulator, which is more abuse than it will likely go through on the actual course thanks the woods, ponds, streams, and creeks that are hungry for these little white orbs we like to hit with sticks.

CA8E00B0-F029-43B6-9EC9-8740B0087B00.jpg

Let’s get on to the scoring!

Looks & Durability (12 out of 15 points)

Not too much to mention here that I haven’t already gone over.  From normal playing distance these balls look great.  Once we get in a little close there are a few inconsistencies in the printing that I would love to see improved upon, but it’s nothing that would keep me from playing these.  The durability has proven to be very good considering the short life expectancy of golf balls.  Even if you were to be a top-flight golfer and were allergic to losing ball, you would be replacing this ball before the AlignXL marking became unusable.  I’ll also note that I had no issues hitting putts or short chips (don’t tell me wife) around the house if the line wasn’t perfectly lined up.  So, in the event that I need to putt or chip from the fringe or fairway I don’t see any issues from the line.

7FCCB774-DD40-4A15-A945-8ACD03B6BFE7.thumb.jpeg.bd434e4d443a04a0514dc7f71070b59e.jpeg

Off-Course Testing (15 out of 15 points)

I’ve done a lot of putting with these and my regular Pro V’s to see if I would putt better with or without the alignment aid.  For a while I wasn’t seeing any significant difference between make or miss but I wasn’t happy because the mat I have has lines on it guiding you to the target.I needed a better test so I used a rug in the boys room which has a short length and is good for putting.  I set up my PuttOut cup about 10 feet away and rolled 20 putts each with the AlignXL ball and a regular Pro V1 with the build in aid, and 20 more with the ball and no aid showing.  Here are the results:

Adjustments.jpg

Anecdotally I’ll add that with the AlignXL ball I felt I was heading towards the center of the cup much more than with the other two balls. I cannot wait to get these out on the course!

On-Course Performance (35 out of 40 points)

DISCLAIMER:  It’s winter here.  I’ll be back to update this review and the thread once the season begins! What you’ll read below is my expectations on the course.

After testing these balls, I do expect them to help me hole more putts.  I’m interested to see the impact on long or big breaking putts, as that was impossible to do here inside.  I will also be using these balls on the tee, either pointing slightly to the right of my target or perpendicular to the target which seem to work for me.  I’m hopeful that these will help me make one or two more putts a round, which would make them a no brainer of a purchase. I’ll be using Arccos so I’ll be able to share some good data with you guys after I get a few rounds under my belt.

Miscellaneous (9 out of 10 points)

Not much to complain about here.  I normally purchase my balls when Titleist is doing their buy 3 get 1 free promotion in the Spring.  I see that there are some other offers like that available now, but I was not able to confirm if they did that last year or not.  Titleist usually does free personalization during that period too, which would be a double bonus if golfballs.com matched, but I’d be willing to fork over the customization cost on these balls.  I knocked one point off because I did reach out to golfballs.com with a few questions and received no response to date.

Game Bag or Shag Bag? (17 out of 20 points)

These are 100% going to be the first balls I reach for this Spring.  From the testing I believe these will help me shoot lower scores on the course.  The only sticking point I see is the $6/dozen upcharge, along with the $5.95 shipping.  I’ll have to draw some sharpie lines and compare to see if the cost is worth it.  But there’s no doubt that I prefer a line on the ball.  If there were a promotion and it was around $3/dozen I feel that would be a good price to stock up on them.

Conclusion

So… you skipped down the bottom to see what all the fuss was about?  I don’t blame you… I can get wordy.  These balls are awesome, the 180* and thick line make it super easy to line up and see how well you have struck your putt.  If you want to improve your putting and have never used a line or use a sharpie currently and want something that feels a little more refined… give these a shot! I fully expect them to help my game.

Final Score: 88 – Not one, but two perfect putts up!

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

"Fore, please!"
"Now on the 1st tee from Southlake TX, with 0 tournaments won, a modest 13.5 index/mid-handicapper, and lucky sumbitch who won yet another My Golf Spy drawing to 'test' premium golf balls. Let's welcome, J.B!"

I received my TP5's with the ALIGN XL feature right before Christmas and I must say they looked fantastic right out of the box. They also came with a personal note from GolfBalls.com's marketing director, Brad Pecot, which was a nice touch. You can tell they're putting their best foot forward with this customized offering.

1165086926_TP5-AlignXL.thumb.jpg.386de42a7e518167db74199419a00bfc.jpg1484876215_ForePlease.thumb.jpg.e1ddcc77627d359044d24e68bd7af3a0.jpg822751812_GB-BradPecot.thumb.jpg.e3a13d45e255d8a860e11c4717a84f35.jpg

Thus far, I've only played five holes with an ALIGN XL ball and the results are just okay - I took 9 putts. This mediocre result can probably be attributed more to me breaking in a new putter than the ball's performance. In my opinion, the alignment aid helps when lining up putts. In the past, I've used the old school alignment tool + Sharpie and liked it.

Here's a photo of my ball after the 5th Hole. There appears to be some wearing and paint chipping away from the alignment stripe, but nothing to get in a twist over. It's held up pretty well, but I'm gonna wanna see how one does after 18 holes if I can keep from losing one - or at least 9 holes. To be honest, I stopped playing it because I wasn't swinging particularly well that day. Gotta save these super-premium TP5 balls for a match with my buddies.

1885126948_TP5b.thumb.jpg.fd2dded2b93dd7d3498a61bd6bf49bbc.jpg

My next time out, I'll probably just use these ALIGN XLs on the greens because that's where golfers should get the most benefit from this value-added feature.

Edited by J.B. TexasEx

My :1590477705_SunMountain: C-130 cart bag currently includes;

Driver: :srixon-small: z565 10.5*, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6 S-Flex
Fairways:  :callaway-small: X-Hot 15* & 18*, Project X PXv R-Flex
Irons: :benhogan-small:Apex Plus, 4-PW, Apex S4-Flex
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CG10; 50*, 54*, 58*, Dynamic Gold W-flex 

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro Blade #2
Grips: Golf Pride MCC-Plus 4 & Lamkin UTx
Ball: Kirkland Signature 3-Piece 

Thanks MGS for selecting me to test out the AlignXL alignment aid!

I’m really curious to see if this helps my aim putting or not. I went to a putter with no alignment aid at all and that freed up my stroke to just use the built in line on the ball, we will see if this gives a little extra added focus to my start line.

Time to get that indoor putting mat setup in the basement!

#winterishere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Appreciate being selected for this test, MGS! 

The timing is perfect as I have NEVER used any marking line on my balls and saw all the guys at the Presidents Cup lining up their shots with the marks on their balls. It made me a little jealous!

Down here in Virginia, I might be able to get out on the course on some of those warmer winter days to get some real world testing data, otherwise it will be all about the putting mat in the basement. Santa might be good to me and bring a new putter as well. If so, i'll test both types out and see if there is any noticeable difference. 

In my :ping-small: Hoofer:

:ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* - Kai'Li White 60 X-flex

:nike-small: VRS Covert 3W 15* - Kuro Kage 65 S-flex

:titelist-small:  T200 4-GW, DG X100 Tour Issue - Tester

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54.12 SS & 58.10 SS

:ping-small:  Zing 2 LW - 60*

:ping-small:  Anser 2

Congrats fellas!  Interested to see how creative you guys are and how you’ll put these to the test 

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Thank you, MGS and GolfBalls.com for the opportunity to test the ALIGN XL feature on my chosen super-premium ball. 😀

This is my 2nd test for MGS this year. When do I get my TESTER '19 button? Oh..and I've made one ace and broken both 90 and 80, too. Obviously, I've got avatar envy after looking at @JohnSmalls and @Tarheelvolvo, among others. 😉 

Edited by J.B. TexasEx

• 3 weeks later...

Went out on Sunday with @HardcoreLooper for a sunny, albeit a bit windy round here in Richmond. IMG_20200105_155634.thumb.jpg.6999e3beef0f32ed89335245564e59a1.jpg

Until I inexplicably lost the ball in some tall grass on #13, the line held up well and we both were lining up our putts using the markings. We both agreed that it helped in lining up the putts nicely, almost like it was an extension of the markings on our putters.

IMG_20200105_130908.thumb.jpg.8ba2a8e2a96591caed732aa0c4a7e153.jpg

48 minutes ago, Tarheelvolvo said:

Went out on Sunday with @HardcoreLooper for a sunny, albeit a bit windy round here in Richmond. 

Until I inexplicably lost the ball in some tall grass on #13, the line held up well and we both were lining up our putts using the markings. We both agreed that it helped in lining up the putts nicely, almost like it was an extension of the markings on our putters.

While @Tarheelvolvo managed to hold onto his until 13 (I still don't know how we didn't find that ball), I yanked mine left into the creek on 4, so I stuck to putting it after that.  The greens at Jefferson Lakeside CC are baffling at times, but for those of us who use the alignment line on the ball to line up putts, this is phenomenal.  

IMG_20200105_150208273.jpg

It really is just an extension of the putter line.  My dad draws lines, but I just used the sidestamp before this.  I don't know that I can ever go back...

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

While I haven’t had a chance to go out and play like some of the lucky guys above... I have been putting quite a bit in the house to get some initial testing and feedback on the AlignXL tech.

Just a few quick things:

Quality of the line is pretty good. Under the zoom of my camera you can see a few blotchy spots or uneven edges, but down at the ball I don’t see anything but a nice thick solid line.

IMG_7741.jpg

IMG_7744.jpg

As someone who doesn’t have an alignment aid on my putter, I rely solely on the ball to help me aim. I typically have always just used the build in aid on the Pro V1s, but this has already impressed upon me how simple it is to line up and get set to putt.

Adjustments.jpg

59950641572__9D70A1C7-019B-42A3-AE33-7172C4C81B0D.jpg

Durability seems good too, I played a full round on the simulator at work and it was holding up pretty good.

IMG_7757.jpg

The thing I’ve liked most so far is how I can immediately see how well I hit a putt compared to my intended line. Any wobble in the ball is obvious and stroking one perfectly end over end looks great!

Much much more testing to come!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 12/16/2019 at 1:18 PM, J.B. TexasEx said:

"Fore, please!"
"Now on the 1st tee from Southlake TX, with 0 tournaments won, a modest 13.5 index/mid-handicapper, and lucky sumbitch who won yet another My Golf Spy drawing to 'test' premium golf balls. Let's welcome, J.B!"

I received my TP5's with the ALIGN XL feature right before Christmas and I must say they looked fantastic right out of the box. They also came with a personal note from GolfBalls.com's marketing director, Brad Pecot, which was a nice touch. You can tell they're putting their best foot forward with this customized offering.

822751812_GB-BradPecot.thumb.jpg.e3a13d45e255d8a860e11c4717a84f35.jpg

Thus far, I've only played five holes with an ALIGN XL ball and the results are just okay - I took 9 putts. This mediocre result can probably be attributed more to me breaking in a new putter than the ball's performance. In my opinion, the alignment aid helps when lining up putts. In the past, I've used the old school alignment tool + Sharpie and liked it.

Here's a photo of my ball after the 5th Hole. There appears to be some wearing and paint chipping away from the alignment stripe, but nothing to get in a twist over. It's held up pretty well, but I'm gonna wanna see how one does after 18 holes if I can keep from losing one - or at least 9 holes. To be honest, I stopped playing it because I wasn't swinging particularly well that day. Gotta save these super-premium TP5 balls for a match with my buddies.

My next time out, I'll probably just use these ALIGN XLs on the greens because that's where golfers should get the most benefit from this value-added feature.

The personal note from Brad really was a nice touch.  I'm not sure that he sends them out to everyone (hopefully they have too much business for that), but these guys strike me as a quality operation.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Bases on some feedback the testers received from @GolfSpy Stroker, I got a little ahead of myself. Wanted to take it back to the start and show everyone how the product arrived and some initial thoughts.

IMG_20200101_174621.thumb.jpg.8a1f51e9407a8ee6f17c80f7bf157dce.jpgIMG_20200101_174726.thumb.jpg.d8638169ff2ac54aedee7ed1b49fb4ed.jpg

IMG_20200101_175335.thumb.jpg.95ca49f2ce6dddac713399b8e41c9ad0.jpg

Great looking balls, crisp packaging, much like you would expect, but since golfballs.com had to repackage them after the custom Align XL printing was applied, I was even more impressed that it looked like OEM packaging from the start. Also, there was a great personal note from their Dir of Marketing, which was a nice touch. 

The line itself goes halfway around the ball, much like their site described. I've included a pic and video to get a better sense of the line. Yes, it's a caddy shack reference 😉

IMG_20200101_174854.thumb.jpg.5ac217d4497f6a60ba5fa77da98880fb.jpg

03268315-d8ef-4724-9fba-a361bbb9ba82.gif.0870d0880eea0464fef7757ea6cb1d61.gif

The color is true, lettering is legible and clean, and it has the same sheen as my ball. Unsure if the printing would be matte on a like a Volvik vivid ball, though... maybe another test needs to be conducted. 

My only very minor gripe is that the printing can be a bit faded in spots. Others have taken close-up shots of the line and some of the printing issues that show so I didn't include mine here. I've got a few of those too, but it's not a distraction on the tee or green since the ball is over 6' away from my eye when I'm bent over the club. 

Edited by Tarheelvolvo
Typos

My only very minor gripe is that the printing can be a bit faded in spots. Others have taken close-up shots of the line and some of the printing issues that show so I didn't include mine here. I've got a few of those too, but it's not a distraction on the tee or green since the ball is over 6' away from my eye when I'm bent over the club. 

I’m happy to report that it is also not a distraction from slightly less than 5 feet away when my eyes are over the ball in my putting stance.

#shortpeopleproblems

How tall are you anyway?!

9 hours ago, B.Boston said:

How tall are you anyway?!

Refer back to the picture above of the two of us. I'm the shorter one, and I'm 5' 10".  @Tarheelvolvo definitely has some height. My neck was sore after the round from looking up 🤣

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I’m going to the simulator with my buddy tomorrow to play a round or two. I’ll bring them to continue to test the durability and hopefully putt on something without any guidelines.

I also want to have my buddy try it out and I’ll add his feedback too.

Congrats guys on being selected for this test!! 

Were there any designs that you wanted to do, but couldn't?

Is anyone going to put the durability up against the standard sharpie and any other ways you have used to put marks on the balls?  I believe I've seen some sort of stickers before.

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

Well I didn’t get to use them at the sim today. They place we went to uses About Golf sims and they provided marked up balls to use so the cameras could get accurate data.

I didn’t feel like marking up one of my
Balls although in hindsight I might have been better off. Whatever rocks they were using did not feel good off the face.

Others have shared their out-of-box experience, and I tell you, it really is cool to break these boys open and see how they turned out:

IMG_20191230_202738833.thumb.jpg.ca6b44548e676f1553ba01ea5c3ddc10.jpg

IMG_20191230_202918771_MP.thumb.jpg.c0298770d4bb06446037efc46aae75b1.jpg

IMG_20191230_202937835.thumb.jpg.5da93a42b88d4234705ac2a40b94d698.jpg

407768543_IMG_20191230_203044041(1).thumb.jpg.ba8c946acd3054d112d92d6804e28990.jpg

17 hours ago, goaliewales14 said:

Were there any designs that you wanted to do, but couldn't?

A choice of fonts and mixed case would have been great, but really, that's nit-picky.  This is light-years beyond a Sharpie.

17 hours ago, goaliewales14 said:

Is anyone going to put the durability up against the standard sharpie and any other ways you have used to put marks on the balls?  I believe I've seen some sort of stickers before.

It's no contest.  When my kids were little, I'd give them Sharpies and let them decorate (shout out Duffy Waldorf).  After that, I'd mark my balls with either a small "ME" in blue Sharpie, or I'd use the "Tribe" stencil my kids bought me.  Sharpie smudges with a direct strike.  Align XL really holds up.  I played today and hit the same Align XL ball for every approach shot (and one drive, where I left my bag at a cut-off 50 yards from the tee and didn't bring a ball for tee shots).  I set the ball up so the line was at the equator of the ball for every shot hit (including that one drive).  Here's the results:

IMG_20200112_212017473.thumb.jpg.c5ff62b34ff0551921f38bec9c66ed01.jpg

IMG_20200112_212002201.thumb.jpg.06bf39852f6a9e7e243b564f9a52690b.jpg

There's one small mark on the line to the right of the text, barely noticeable to the naked eye.

I can actually attest to the durability of the Golfdotz stickers.  My little one had a bunch of pink flower stickers and stickered up one of my Pro V1Xs.  I think I played that thing for two rounds; I couldn't lose the damn thing.  The stickers held up well, and they have lots of cool designs (beyond pink flowers).  But the key to these things is that they take no work.  Open box, start playing.  No muss, no fuss.

One thing I've found is that the parallax error is really noticeable with the long, bold line.  If I don't:

1.  Orient the line right on top of the ball
2.  Get my eyes right over the ball

it looks awful when I stand over the putt.  You really need to be careful when you set the ball down, or you'll be resetting the ball frequently.

If you putt with your eyes inside the line (like Ben Crenshaw), I could see not liking an alignment line like this.  I putt best with my eyes directly over the ball (shout out @PuttOUT mirror), so this really helps me.

Crazily enough, I made a 60 footer for birdie on the one putt I didn't line up the line at all.  I do that quite a bit on long putts, because I want to focus on the speed instead of falling in love with the line.  But I made a few clutch 5 footers and rolled a 15 footer right over the edge using the line, so the line definitely helps me.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

• 2 weeks later...

Got some practice in last night with these. Headed back south in two weeks and will get more practice and play with them then!

IMG_0627.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

Keep us posted!  It's cold here in VA right now.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Perhaps I'm missing something here: Is there any difference between marking your own balls and these? It takes me but a few minutes to put a line on a doz balls.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Perhaps I'm missing something here: Is there any difference between marking your own balls and these? It takes me but a few minutes to put a line on a doz balls.

I suppose not much... but the printing on these is high quality and straight, better than I could do with a sharpie myself, and I like the text written within the line itself.

I’m finding the full 180 degrees to be helpful, and can really see how well I’ve struck a putt. But I’m coming from just using the built in aid on the pro v.

IMG_7743.jpg

I suppose not much... but the printing on these is high quality and straight, better than I could do with a sharpie myself, and I like the text written within the line itself.

I’m finding the full 180 degrees to be helpful, and can really see how well I’ve struck a putt. But I’m coming from just using the built in aid on the pro v.

IMG_7743.thumb.jpg.3e2c915f81e7d1c5636d5e9875d20f90.jpg

I'd agree definitely a more precise line than my sharpie.

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

On 1/22/2020 at 9:29 PM, tony@CIC said:

I'd agree definitely a more precise line than my sharpie.

Also doesn't wear off.  I didn't put a line on my ball, but until I started playing Snells, I always put an identifying mark on my ball, and once I hit that mark with a club, it'd smear.  This stays put.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

My ALIGN XL golf ball looks good with my new Tour Edge putter. I just played a quick 9 hole practice round today - didn't even keep score. But, ain't it pretty? Eat your heart out, Sammy Hagar! #redrocker

Align XL.jpg