GolfSpy Stroker

2020 Official Member Review: Golfballs.com AlignXL

Our Sponsors

Congrats guys on being selected for this test!! 

Were there any designs that you wanted to do, but couldn't?

Is anyone going to put the durability up against the standard sharpie and any other ways you have used to put marks on the balls?  I believe I've seen some sort of stickers before.

• Like 4

Well I didn’t get to use them at the sim today. They place we went to uses About Golf sims and they provided marked up balls to use so the cameras could get accurate data.

I didn’t feel like marking up one of my
Balls although in hindsight I might have been better off. Whatever rocks they were using did not feel good off the face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Others have shared their out-of-box experience, and I tell you, it really is cool to break these boys open and see how they turned out:

IMG_20191230_202738833.thumb.jpg.ca6b44548e676f1553ba01ea5c3ddc10.jpg

IMG_20191230_202918771_MP.thumb.jpg.c0298770d4bb06446037efc46aae75b1.jpg

IMG_20191230_202937835.thumb.jpg.5da93a42b88d4234705ac2a40b94d698.jpg

407768543_IMG_20191230_203044041(1).thumb.jpg.ba8c946acd3054d112d92d6804e28990.jpg

17 hours ago, goaliewales14 said:

Were there any designs that you wanted to do, but couldn't?

A choice of fonts and mixed case would have been great, but really, that's nit-picky.  This is light-years beyond a Sharpie.

17 hours ago, goaliewales14 said:

Is anyone going to put the durability up against the standard sharpie and any other ways you have used to put marks on the balls?  I believe I've seen some sort of stickers before.

It's no contest.  When my kids were little, I'd give them Sharpies and let them decorate (shout out Duffy Waldorf).  After that, I'd mark my balls with either a small "ME" in blue Sharpie, or I'd use the "Tribe" stencil my kids bought me.  Sharpie smudges with a direct strike.  Align XL really holds up.  I played today and hit the same Align XL ball for every approach shot (and one drive, where I left my bag at a cut-off 50 yards from the tee and didn't bring a ball for tee shots).  I set the ball up so the line was at the equator of the ball for every shot hit (including that one drive).  Here's the results:

IMG_20200112_212017473.thumb.jpg.c5ff62b34ff0551921f38bec9c66ed01.jpg

IMG_20200112_212002201.thumb.jpg.06bf39852f6a9e7e243b564f9a52690b.jpg

There's one small mark on the line to the right of the text, barely noticeable to the naked eye.

I can actually attest to the durability of the Golfdotz stickers.  My little one had a bunch of pink flower stickers and stickered up one of my Pro V1Xs.  I think I played that thing for two rounds; I couldn't lose the damn thing.  The stickers held up well, and they have lots of cool designs (beyond pink flowers).  But the key to these things is that they take no work.  Open box, start playing.  No muss, no fuss.

One thing I've found is that the parallax error is really noticeable with the long, bold line.  If I don't:

1.  Orient the line right on top of the ball
2.  Get my eyes right over the ball

it looks awful when I stand over the putt.  You really need to be careful when you set the ball down, or you'll be resetting the ball frequently.

If you putt with your eyes inside the line (like Ben Crenshaw), I could see not liking an alignment line like this.  I putt best with my eyes directly over the ball (shout out @PuttOUT mirror), so this really helps me.

Crazily enough, I made a 60 footer for birdie on the one putt I didn't line up the line at all.  I do that quite a bit on long putts, because I want to focus on the speed instead of falling in love with the line.  But I made a few clutch 5 footers and rolled a 15 footer right over the edge using the line, so the line definitely helps me.

• Like 5

Got some practice in last night with these. Headed back south in two weeks and will get more practice and play with them then!

IMG_0627.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Perhaps I'm missing something here: Is there any difference between marking your own balls and these? It takes me but a few minutes to put a line on a doz balls.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Perhaps I'm missing something here: Is there any difference between marking your own balls and these? It takes me but a few minutes to put a line on a doz balls.

I suppose not much... but the printing on these is high quality and straight, better than I could do with a sharpie myself, and I like the text written within the line itself.

I’m finding the full 180 degrees to be helpful, and can really see how well I’ve struck a putt. But I’m coming from just using the built in aid on the pro v.

IMG_7743.jpg

• Like 2

I suppose not much... but the printing on these is high quality and straight, better than I could do with a sharpie myself, and I like the text written within the line itself.

I’m finding the full 180 degrees to be helpful, and can really see how well I’ve struck a putt. But I’m coming from just using the built in aid on the pro v.

IMG_7743.thumb.jpg.3e2c915f81e7d1c5636d5e9875d20f90.jpg

I'd agree definitely a more precise line than my sharpie.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2020 at 9:29 PM, tony@CIC said:

I'd agree definitely a more precise line than my sharpie.

Also doesn't wear off.  I didn't put a line on my ball, but until I started playing Snells, I always put an identifying mark on my ball, and once I hit that mark with a club, it'd smear.  This stays put.

• Like 2

My ALIGN XL golf ball looks good with my new Tour Edge putter. I just played a quick 9 hole practice round today - didn't even keep score. But, ain't it pretty? Eat your heart out, Sammy Hagar! #redrocker

Align XL.jpg

• Like 3

I’m currently in Disney on family vacation and thinking that I should have brought an AlignXL ball with me for mini golf.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Wanted to share a recent article about this very topic. Having played another round with the Align XL, I think I fall into the non-linear putting category... however, that's no knock on the line, it's durability, or implementation!

https://www.golf.com/instruction/putting/2020/01/31/line-on-golf-ball-i-tried-it/

Torture test forthcoming as well, in the vein of Mythbusters 😉

• Like 2

I'm stuck in a hotel room on the outskirts of Charlotte because of a client meeting tomorrow, so I brought the PuttOUT trainer and mat (groove and all) with me to try to generate some #data.  I just finished 10 rounds of PuttOUT Challenge, where you hit a putt from the 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 foot marks (lots of time between plays in the SB).  A made putt is one point; a perfect putt is three.  120 putts all told.  Here's the results:

1 missed one putt from six feet with the line and one without the line.  Both of them hit quite a bit of the hole; I like to think that both of them would have lipped in.

No Line beat Line, 81-77.  I had four more perfect putts without the line.  I feel like I need to hit a thousand or so more putts, but I thought I'd have more perfect putts with the line than without.

• Like 5

Time for a quick update! 

THE SCIENCEY STUFF:

I can't really say I've found a statistical difference in putting with or without the line.  But let's be honest, I'm putting in my house, on a relatively flat surface, on a putting mat that has some marking on it already. The carpet in the living room is not conducive to a proper test, and the rest in hardwood so that isn't either.  But....

THE SUBJECTIVE STUFF:

I really like that the line does for me in showing how well I've hit the putt on my intended line.  I can't wait to get out and try this with some real breaking putts and how well I adjust to seeing the line then.  The nice thing is if I find it works better for shorter putts vs longer putts it is only 180 degrees so I can use the other side with the smaller built in <PRO V1> aid.

OTHER NOTES:

The a recent article on golf.com Rory talked about why he doesn't use a line:

“I think there are two different types of putters: someone who is more of an external-cue person, like Jon [Rahm], myself, DJ, or an internal cue, which is more getting into your own little world [using] a line,” McIlroy says. “I’ve sort of went on and off using the line, but anytime I use the line, I struggle with my speed. Because I’m so into what I’m doing [with the line], I lose connection with the target.”

This got me thinking about how I have been using the line in testing.  I guess I am somewhat similar to Rory in that I do best when I use the line to line up to the target and set my putter behind it.  After that point I stop paying attention to it and focus on making a free stroke/distance control.  I'll know if I hit it on my intended line due to the alignXL tech.  If I pay too much attention to that line my distance control does seem to suffer, and I don't make a nice a pass through the ball.  It's probably the same reason I don't like a line on my putter, I stare at it on the way back and through trying to keep it on line versus freely putting.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2020 at 2:48 PM, B.Boston said:

Time for a quick update! 

THE SCIENCEY STUFF:

I can't really say I've found a statistical difference in putting with or without the line.  But let's be honest, I'm putting in my house, on a relatively flat surface, on a putting mat that has some marking on it already. The carpet in the living room is not conducive to a proper test, and the rest in hardwood so that isn't either.  But....

THE SUBJECTIVE STUFF:

I really like that the line does for me in showing how well I've hit the putt on my intended line.  I can't wait to get out and try this with some real breaking putts and how well I adjust to seeing the line then.  The nice thing is if I find it works better for shorter putts vs longer putts it is only 180 degrees so I can use the other side with the smaller built in <PRO V1> aid.

OTHER NOTES:

The a recent article on golf.com Rory talked about why he doesn't use a line:

“I think there are two different types of putters: someone who is more of an external-cue person, like Jon [Rahm], myself, DJ, or an internal cue, which is more getting into your own little world [using] a line,” McIlroy says. “I’ve sort of went on and off using the line, but anytime I use the line, I struggle with my speed. Because I’m so into what I’m doing [with the line], I lose connection with the target.”

This got me thinking about how I have been using the line in testing.  I guess I am somewhat similar to Rory in that I do best when I use the line to line up to the target and set my putter behind it.  After that point I stop paying attention to it and focus on making a free stroke/distance control.  I'll know if I hit it on my intended line due to the alignXL tech.  If I pay too much attention to that line my distance control does seem to suffer, and I don't make a nice a pass through the ball.  It's probably the same reason I don't like a line on my putter, I stare at it on the way back and through trying to keep it on line versus freely putting.

I love that there are multiple ways to putt, and that this helps some people but not others.  There's no one right way to putt.

I will say that if I'm more worried about speed than line (long putts), I won't use the alignment mark.  I don't want to fall in love with the line and leave the putt six feet short.  Not that I've ever done that...

... About a million times.

• Like 1

I got to play a couple of rounds in Florida this week. Unfortunately the balls I used did not make it to the end of the round for photos, but I really like how well the line holds up. With a sharpie I am almost always redoing the line especially on days with any ground moisture. I think I will use golfballs.com to get this marking for 2020. Saves time and effort.

IMG_0626.JPG

Photo from home practice

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

Hey Spies! My review is posted.  Let me know what you think! 

• Like 3

My review is up!  Let me know your thoughts!

• Like 2

I notice something today while practicing that I hadn’t before:

When using the AlignXL marking I naturally get my eye right over the top of the ball since it splits the ball in two halves.

When using the regular ProV1 marking or no marking at all I tend to set up with my eyes a little inside the ball.

This seems to be a nice built in reminder to get myself into a consistent position over the ball.

Another bonus point for AlignXL!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2