TESTERS WANTED! ×

2019 Official Member Review: Golfballs.com AlignXL

StrokerAce

I’m currently in Disney on family vacation and thinking that I should have brought an AlignXL ball with me for mini golf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Wanted to share a recent article about this very topic. Having played another round with the Align XL, I think I fall into the non-linear putting category... however, that's no knock on the line, it's durability, or implementation!

https://www.golf.com/instruction/putting/2020/01/31/line-on-golf-ball-i-tried-it/

Torture test forthcoming as well, in the vein of Mythbusters 😉

In my :ping-small: Hoofer:

:ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* - Kai'Li White 60 X-flex

:nike-small: VRS Covert 3W 15* - Kuro Kage 65 S-flex

:titelist-small:  T200 4-GW, DG X100 Tour Issue - Tester

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54.12 SS & 58.10 SS

:ping-small:  Zing 2 LW - 60*

:ping-small:  Anser 2

I'm stuck in a hotel room on the outskirts of Charlotte because of a client meeting tomorrow, so I brought the PuttOUT trainer and mat (groove and all) with me to try to generate some #data.  I just finished 10 rounds of PuttOUT Challenge, where you hit a putt from the 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 foot marks (lots of time between plays in the SB).  A made putt is one point; a perfect putt is three.  120 putts all told.  Here's the results:

1 missed one putt from six feet with the line and one without the line.  Both of them hit quite a bit of the hole; I like to think that both of them would have lipped in.

No Line beat Line, 81-77.  I had four more perfect putts without the line.  I feel like I need to hit a thousand or so more putts, but I thought I'd have more perfect putts with the line than without.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Time for a quick update! 

THE SCIENCEY STUFF:

I can't really say I've found a statistical difference in putting with or without the line.  But let's be honest, I'm putting in my house, on a relatively flat surface, on a putting mat that has some marking on it already. The carpet in the living room is not conducive to a proper test, and the rest in hardwood so that isn't either.  But....

THE SUBJECTIVE STUFF:

I really like that the line does for me in showing how well I've hit the putt on my intended line.  I can't wait to get out and try this with some real breaking putts and how well I adjust to seeing the line then.  The nice thing is if I find it works better for shorter putts vs longer putts it is only 180 degrees so I can use the other side with the smaller built in <PRO V1> aid.

OTHER NOTES:

The a recent article on golf.com Rory talked about why he doesn't use a line:

“I think there are two different types of putters: someone who is more of an external-cue person, like Jon [Rahm], myself, DJ, or an internal cue, which is more getting into your own little world [using] a line,” McIlroy says. “I’ve sort of went on and off using the line, but anytime I use the line, I struggle with my speed. Because I’m so into what I’m doing [with the line], I lose connection with the target.”

This got me thinking about how I have been using the line in testing.  I guess I am somewhat similar to Rory in that I do best when I use the line to line up to the target and set my putter behind it.  After that point I stop paying attention to it and focus on making a free stroke/distance control.  I'll know if I hit it on my intended line due to the alignXL tech.  If I pay too much attention to that line my distance control does seem to suffer, and I don't make a nice a pass through the ball.  It's probably the same reason I don't like a line on my putter, I stare at it on the way back and through trying to keep it on line versus freely putting.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

On 2/4/2020 at 2:48 PM, B.Boston said:

Time for a quick update! 

THE SCIENCEY STUFF:

I can't really say I've found a statistical difference in putting with or without the line.  But let's be honest, I'm putting in my house, on a relatively flat surface, on a putting mat that has some marking on it already. The carpet in the living room is not conducive to a proper test, and the rest in hardwood so that isn't either.  But....

THE SUBJECTIVE STUFF:

I really like that the line does for me in showing how well I've hit the putt on my intended line.  I can't wait to get out and try this with some real breaking putts and how well I adjust to seeing the line then.  The nice thing is if I find it works better for shorter putts vs longer putts it is only 180 degrees so I can use the other side with the smaller built in <PRO V1> aid.

OTHER NOTES:

The a recent article on golf.com Rory talked about why he doesn't use a line:

“I think there are two different types of putters: someone who is more of an external-cue person, like Jon [Rahm], myself, DJ, or an internal cue, which is more getting into your own little world [using] a line,” McIlroy says. “I’ve sort of went on and off using the line, but anytime I use the line, I struggle with my speed. Because I’m so into what I’m doing [with the line], I lose connection with the target.”

This got me thinking about how I have been using the line in testing.  I guess I am somewhat similar to Rory in that I do best when I use the line to line up to the target and set my putter behind it.  After that point I stop paying attention to it and focus on making a free stroke/distance control.  I'll know if I hit it on my intended line due to the alignXL tech.  If I pay too much attention to that line my distance control does seem to suffer, and I don't make a nice a pass through the ball.  It's probably the same reason I don't like a line on my putter, I stare at it on the way back and through trying to keep it on line versus freely putting.

I love that there are multiple ways to putt, and that this helps some people but not others.  There's no one right way to putt.

I will say that if I'm more worried about speed than line (long putts), I won't use the alignment mark.  I don't want to fall in love with the line and leave the putt six feet short.  Not that I've ever done that...

... About a million times.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I got to play a couple of rounds in Florida this week. Unfortunately the balls I used did not make it to the end of the round for photos, but I really like how well the line holds up. With a sharpie I am almost always redoing the line especially on days with any ground moisture. I think I will use golfballs.com to get this marking for 2020. Saves time and effort.

IMG_0626.JPG

Photo from home practice

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

Hey Spies! My review is posted.  Let me know what you think! 

Hey gang, my review is up.

Love to hear your thoughts!

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

My review is up!  Let me know your thoughts!

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

I notice something today while practicing that I hadn’t before:

When using the AlignXL marking I naturally get my eye right over the top of the ball since it splits the ball in two halves.

When using the regular ProV1 marking or no marking at all I tend to set up with my eyes a little inside the ball.

This seems to be a nice built in reminder to get myself into a consistent position over the ball.

Another bonus point for AlignXL!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So I have been practicing in my garage and testing golf balls for 2020. Today was the Snell MTB X day and I used my Align XL ball. 50 shots. Here is how she looks.

IMG_0896.JPG

IMG_0895.JPG

Not bad for 50 swings. Most impacts were in the same spot and you can see a little discoloring but that’s to be expected. The line held up very well! I’ll continue to hit this ball in testing. I can say I like the line very much.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Folks,

Just got the Titleist Loyalty Rewarded - Buy 3 get 1 free offer on balls so I popped on to Golfballs.com to see if you can get the AlignXL with that deal.

I can see The AlignXL (not personalized) is included, as well as the ID Align (not 180* like the AlignXL, but text included).  It seems like it would be available too.  I'm going to e-mail and see if that's true because if that's the case the value oh these jumps up a ton.

I also saw a whole bunch of # options, but I think custom # was about $10 more than stock low/high numbers.

• 4 weeks later...

As I play more rounds of putt-putt around the house I continue to like the benefit of using the AlignXL.

It’s very beneficial on the carpet in my den which has become my office as the rug is not exactly Augusta smooth.

I also think it lines up great with the Evnroll ER2B I’ve been trying out. Seems like both lines are the same size and looks good to my eye.

IMG_8904.jpg

As I play more rounds of putt-putt around the house I continue to like the benefit of using the AlignXL.

It’s very beneficial on the carpet in my den which has become my office as the rug is not exactly Augusta smooth.

I also think it lines up great with the Evnroll ER2B I’ve been trying out. Seems like both lines are the same size and looks good to my eye.
IMG_8904.thumb.jpg.6c2cfe287b1b958c7c6c46f738849060.jpg

But, wait! I thought Triple Track was the only technology out there where one could “line-up lines”?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

3 minutes ago, PMookie said:

But, wait! I thought Triple Track was the only technology out there where one could “line-up lines”?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#facts!

I got to play around with a few triple track balls at PGASS.  It's almost a little too much for me, and I actually prefer the 180* line provided by the AlignXL.  The triple track doesn't seem long enough to me.  

• 2 weeks later...

So I picked up a cheap tool to help put lines on your ball on eBay.  I like this one because it looks like it can almost get you a 180* line like the Align XL

2AD2AB03-2DB6-48A0-B7B2-90A0544CD90B.thumb.jpeg.541e53e1bb42a267447fb7c95b3c8d32.jpeg

It’s not bad, but its not anywhere near as sharp as the printing of the AlignXL.  I’ll use it on my existing inventory and probably order the AlignXL next year during Titleist’s Loyalty Rewarded program currently going on now.

• 4 weeks later...

Alright so I've played 8 rounds since I started using the AlignXL or sharpie line on my ball and I have had exactly 1 three putt.  That should be proof enough that this has helped my putting.  I plan on buying my future balls from golfballs.com with the AlignXL aid as I don't find the sharpie line anywhere near as precise or long lasting.  

I've still got a few of my test dozen left, and will likely keep 1 or 2 at home for practice, but for the others you're welcome in advance if you find one in the woods around MA. 😉

On 4/27/2020 at 2:56 PM, B.Boston said:

So I picked up a cheap tool to help put lines on your ball on eBay.  I like this one because it looks like it can almost get you a 180* line like the Align XL

2AD2AB03-2DB6-48A0-B7B2-90A0544CD90B.thumb.jpeg.541e53e1bb42a267447fb7c95b3c8d32.jpeg

It’s not bad, but its not anywhere near as sharp as the printing of the AlignXL.  I’ll use it on my existing inventory and probably order the AlignXL next year during Titleist’s Loyalty Rewarded program currently going on now.

I got the exact same thing but from Amazon. I use a fine point and go back and forth a few times. Came in a pack of 4 with mini markers that last a few rounds. I even tried a Milwaulkee Inkzall after reading that whole Tiger Woods thing about it but in the end the sharpie just works better.

Driver : :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 9* MC Kuro Kago Silver 60 Stiff

Woods : :benhogan-small: GS53 3 Wood 14* Mitsubish Tensei Blue 73g Regular

Hybrids: sub70logo.png.3c207e4e90c1eeca7b9a917b5fa4b848.png 949X Project X HZRDUS RDX Black 

Irons : sub70logo.png.3c207e4e90c1eeca7b9a917b5fa4b848.png 699 Pro Black 5-AW 1* flat KBS Tour V 90 Stiff Shafts 

Wedges : File:Kirkland Signature logo.svg - Wikimedia Commons 52, 56, 60 

Putter : :taylormade-small:Spider Red

Bag : datrek-brand_1456761019__86876.original.jpg.7c24f9ae71c7730ce29a828226731487.jpg lightweight cart bag | motocaddy.jpg.258c0b46e60c2804fc6b1f64bca0aef3.jpgDry Series Bag

Ball :  :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX (2019) | Screen-Shot-2017-07-20-at-7_24.05-AM-300x118.png.9f1c4cb1d62511ee40a05bd6d5795f97.png ProV1x (2021)

Rangefinder : 836d5c8b9e44880db86abcd3b735255d.w2480_h836.jpg.bcd4050c642957abbdca7453a6cb0469.jpg ULT-X

Pushcart : motocaddy.jpg.258c0b46e60c2804fc6b1f64bca0aef3.jpgM5 GPS DHC Electric Push Cart

SoCal, USA

Right handed HDCP 16.4