Testers Wanted! AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Did Adam Scott make long putters cool?

72strokes

http://72strokes.com/2011/04/did-adam-scott-make-long-putters-cool/

Did Adam Scott make long putters cool?

by Derek

20110415_valerotexasopen_0093-500x333.jpg

OK, maybe long putters aren't cool, but it does seem that Adam Scott has at least made long putters an acceptable option for players that previously wouldn't consider one. Lee Westwood put one in play at the Masters. Ernie Els is reportedly thinking about bagging one this week at the Verizon. Nathan Greene and Camilo Villegas are right there with him (even though Greene thinks they should be illegal).

Bill Haas is also apparently considering making the switch after Brendan Steele used a belly putter to win the Valero last weekend. Tiger was even photographed practicing a long putter stroke during his golf tour of Asia last week. After all of his 3 putts on Sunday at the Masters, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he's at least been testing one.

tiger-long-putter-500x373.jpg

When asked about Scott's success at the Masters with a long putter, Anthony Kim quipped, “Obviously it's working for him. Maybe I should go try it.”

In the past, putting a belly putter in your bag was a tacit admission that you had some serious putting problems and you were looking for something… anything to save your game. But now with players like Scott and Steele having success with long putters, players seem to be viewing it as another tool to play better… even if they hold their noses while using it.

Personally, I've tried a both a belly putter and a long putter in the past and found that I putted worse with them. But I don't have a problem with people using them. Unless somebody in my foursome shows up with one and beats me. Then they should be illegal.

Derek

72strokeslogo_green.jpg

I just dont think I could use one.Nothing against them,but it s just not me

Callaway razr x tour 5-pw

titleist 585h 24 &21 hybrid

Heavy wedge 52 gap wedge

Nike sv sand and lob wedge

Callaway Diablo Octane tour Driver

Adams F 11 3 wood

Seemore ci2 or Bettinardi studio stock 2

I don't think you should use one unless you're 50+ or have a note from your doctor explaining a serious back condition. Adam Scott looks like he's trying to be gandalf the grey toting around that staff.

The Germans are only dead, when the coffin is nailed shut

• SPY VIP

I have a Bettinardi Big Ben (back when he was designing for the Ben Hogan brand) Belly Putter that my wife gave me as a wedding gift. It's not my gamer, but I also never hesitate to put back in the back when I get a little bit yippy. It really helps to smooth things out. In some respects I think of it as a USGA legal training aid.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

The long putter is great to help build confidence. I have 2 of them in my stash and bring them out when I feel like my putting is bad.

PING: Rapture V1 9° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (65 Stiff)

TITLEIST: 906F4 15.5° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (80 Stiff)

COBRA: 5w Speed LD F/ST Tour AD YS Designed by Graphite Design made for Cobra Stiff

PING: S59 Rifle 6.5 Soft stepped

PING: Tour 48°, 52°, 58°

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

"Everyday you miss practicing, it will take you one day longer to get good." -Ben Hogan

I've got a few belly length flatsticks lying around. Normally one of them in the bag 80% of the time. Always been tempted to try a long putter, but never wanted to drop the coin for one.

I have a revolving WITB policy.

I've got a few belly length flatsticks lying around. Normally one of them in the bag 80% of the time. Always been tempted to try a long putter, but never wanted to drop the coin for one.

A long shaft and grip only cost me $20 from Golfworks, then I just pulled an old White Hot #2 and glued it on. I'm really digging it, so I'm thinking about buying an STX Pro Fit long putter.

Archived