TESTERS WANTED! ×

Building a Quality Golf Simulator

Good morning MGS brethren! I am creating this thread to put quality information out into the community for those who are trying to research how to build an epic golf simulator. I just finished my build and it has drastically improved my game in the short time that it has been in use. When I started to research all of the different options for components however, not a lot of good information was available.....

Now it will be! I will be updating this thread in a stage-type fashion. Each stage of the project will show pictures of the setup, components, and result. Each stage will also have all of the different vendors researched, the decision that was made & why, and links to the selected products. I hope that this will drastically help anyone going down the road of building their own.

Enjoy!

Edited by FlyboyAF

Ross Danaher

Right Hander from Houston, TX  (7.6 Index)

WITB.thumb.PNG.2e1c3a4698118470b9007cb41771882e.PNG

Welcome aboard!

I imagine this will be a popular thread.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

Stage 1: Identify Required Space & Draw Up the Plans

Ceiling Height: If you can swing your driver without worry, that'll do....but not recommended. Minimum height of 8', but 10' or more is optimal (especially if you have tall friends!).

Room Length (front-to-back):   The type of launch monitor you will be using has a drastic impact on how much room you'll need front-to-back. Radar-Based Systems (i.e. Trackman) need up to 25' while Camera-Based Systems (i.e. GC Quad) don't require any extra room front-to-back as the unit is placed to the side and just in front of the hitting area. 

You should allow for ~14" -20" of space between the front wall and the impact screen so that the ball doesn't impact your drywall when the screen flexes at higher ball speeds. Your center hitting area should be located 7' - 10' from the impact screen (depending on how much tension you have in your impact screen - beware of bounce back!). From there, you'll need another 6' - 8' of clearance behind you to make comfortable swings.

Room Width (side-to-side): The biggest factor here is how your displayed image from the simulator software will project onto the impact screen. The best view IMO is a 16:9 or 16:10 aspect ratio for widescreen effect. So if you have 10' of ceiling space, 17' of side-to-side room should accommodate 16' of viewable screen space after you account for the frame (~6" on either side).

Once you figure out the above, draw up the dimensional plans of how you want to lay this bad  boy out! : )

Once you have your drawings, you can use a long tape measure, a friend, and painting tape to transfer your drawing to the actual space to make sure it works....

IMG-1985.jpg

IMG-2232.jpg

IMG-2044.jpg

Resolution Chart.PNG

IMG-2062.jpg

IMG-2231.jpg

Ross Danaher

This looks like a great project and I look forward to following along.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Stage 2: Modify the Space to Fit the Plans!

Realistically, it should be modify the plans to fit the space.....but that wouldn't be any fun now would it?! 🙂

Soooooooooo in order to get the golden 16:10 Aspect Ratio for the projected simulator image, it was time to do some demolition and construction to extend the hitting wall by a couple of feet!

***Disclaimer: Consult a professional contractor before conducting any kind of structural modifications to your house! If you do not and remove any load-bearing supports, your roof could collapse and casualties are probable***

I ended up demolishing the useless mini-closet next to a bathroom that shall never be used and extending the hitting wall by 2 ft. $2,500

Note: Building codes require you to have 3ft of width in home walkways.....hence I could only extend the wall by 2 ft

IMG-2246.jpg

IMG-2233.jpg

IMG-2241.jpg

IMG-2242.jpg

Edited by FlyboyAF

Ross Danaher

Stage 3: Frame / Impact Screen / More Demo & Construction

Frame / Enclosure: Now that the space fits the plans, it was time to figure out what kind of structure to use to hang the impact screen into place. You have a lot of options here depending on your available space & budget. Enclosure packages can be purchased from   Carl's Place, All Sport Systems,  GSA, Custom Design Golf, Rain or Shine Golf, etc just to name a few. 

Most of them utilize metal tubing (assembly required) and nylon draping. I didn't see anything that screamed "Wow, now that looks awesome".....so I decided to put my own deal together.

I utilized a woodworking contractor to build the frame (Houston area DM me for contact info). He came to the house, took his measurements, did some widdling, stained it, and installed the frame. To secure the impact screen, we installed screw hooks to the inside of the frame all of the way around (for use in attaching the bungee cording). $1,700

I purchased 2 sets of 10oz (10' x 10') heavy black drapes and track-rail system from GSA to provide side shank protection for first dates who want to "learn how to play" and other newbs 🙂  I'll talk about the ceiling protection in the next stage to complete the "Enclosure". $1,199

GSA Drape Enclosures

Impact Screen: The best I found out there in the world were the Premium Impact Screens from Carl's Place. You have options of Standard, Preferred, or Premium. All 3 are rated to withstand impact up to 250+ mph (if Jamie Sadlowski comes to your house to play a round with you....DON'T let him hit driver!). The usage is what will steer you down the path of which you need. The Premium has the smoothest surface (projected image quality), has 3 layers of heavy-duty, tight-knit polyster, and is built for heavy usage (I try to hit balls every day). The website helps to size the screen for you after you enter some dimensional information and their customer support is awesome if you have any questions. Ordered the bungees from these guys too.

My Screen: Premium 115" x 167" (Finished Dimensions) for $935 with free shipping

Carl's Place Premium Impact Screens

Next project was to ready the ceiling for the ceiling protection from lob shots and crown-killing driver pop ups....sooooooo more demo!

I removed the ceiling sheet rock 6' front-to-back (from the impact screen) and 14' side-to-side (between the rail tracks). First relocate the sprayed insulation in the attic above the cut-out area or else this could get really messy lol. I also had to remove a large ceiling fan and relocate an A/C vent.

Next step was to install plywood to replace the sheet rock so that I could install the ceiling protection in Stage 4. $800

IMG-2374.jpg

IMG-2287.jpg

IMG-2289.jpg

IMG-2368.jpg

IMG-2372.jpg

Edited by FlyboyAF

Ross Danaher

Stage 4: Ceiling Protection

This was a funny topic to research as people are extremely creative when it comes to ceiling protection. Some individuals used staples or glue to attach foam panels to their sheetrock. The foam panels that most people tried were Acoustic Panels like the type you would find in a music studio....great for sound dampening, but horrible for stopping a golf ball traveling at a good velocity.

The foam in these panels is dense which makes the material act more like a spring than a velocity dampener. Luckily I found a company with a better solution that works incredibly well. It wasn't cheap, but man....it looks fantastic and deadens the little shanked projectile of death heading for your cranium!

The solution comes from Par2Pro (Canada). They sew velcro strips into vinyl covers over 1.5" or 2" thick slabs of high-density memory foam cut to your specification to meet the square footage requirements of the space (2 - 4 lb each). You pick the vinyl....patterns, solid colors, really dealer's choice. They send you long strips of the firm velcro side that adhere to a clean surface such as plywood. Once you have layed down the velcro tracks, you simply attach the finished pads via velcro  and you're left with a good looking functional ball stopper! $2,765

Par2Pro Customer Service

This is hard to find via their website, so just call the customer service folks and inquire about the foam pads for more details. These also work the same for side-wall protection in case you decide not to use drapes...

IMG-2576.thumb.jpg.bf65f119d97a6a96fa1d7cf1b2193da1.jpgIMG-2578.thumb.jpg.31980071499cf0554e32c1b6f6574ab6.jpgIMG-2580.thumb.jpg.e9079b4ec053a90859a2aa15c5cd8b05.jpgIMG-2575.thumb.jpg.6dbdae907edc45407ea03d57e9a2cfab.jpg

Edited by FlyboyAF

Ross Danaher

Stage 5: Sub Flooring & Turf

Ok....this could be a long one.

Sub Floor: There are many options here depending on what you're starting with. I built this simulator on the 2nd floor of my house, so I was working on top of carpet. Garage or basement applications where you are starting with concrete could require an extra step before laying out the sub floor if you aren't utilizing the whole space constricted on 3 sides of the room.

The big question is do you want to have putting holes scattered around in your simulator space or not. If yes, do you want to have 2" tall cups or are you satisfied with something like a birdie ball setup that is really just a slight recess and a flag that stops your ball. If you don't care about having a real-ish golf cup, than you can skip this and just layout turf in your space. For anything else, you'll have to build up a sub floor to provide room for the holes.

Option 1: DRIcore panels from Home Depot (3/4" x 2' x 2') - difficult to cut the wholes through the rubber base and tough to install

Option 2: Sub floor construction from 2 x 4 wooden beams and plywood. A detailed approach to installation (dimensions, materials, instructions) can be found here 

Link: GSA DIY Building a Sub Floor

Option 3: I found a company called Tour Links that is the standard for setups at the annual PGA Merchandise Show as well as the preferred choice for many college team practice facilities and professional golfers themselves. They are extremely easy to assemble (interlocking plastic squares) and if you ever move or decide to change up your layout, you can take it apart and reassemble it the way you want rather easily. Plan out where you want your holes to be and they will ship the panels with the holes already cut for your convenience. They also provide engineered foam circles (4' or 5' in diameter) that gradually increase in height up to 1/2" in the middle that you can place underneath the panels to help give you some undulation in your layout! I have 2 x 4' foam circles in my setup. My space has 7 different putting holes inside of a 15' x 15' area. You can view the different panel options used to build your own custom space at the link below... $3,344

Link: Tour Links Panels

Putting Turf: Tons of companies brag about how they have the best putting turf out there. I received about 10 different samples (1' x 15') to put them to the test. In the end it came down to a choice between turf from Pro Putt Systems and Synthetic Turf International. For inside applications, Nylon turf is the way to go. They last a long long time and don't require any sand infill to increase stimp speeds. They roll pretty true. I ended up going with a 1/2" pile (tall) NP55 turf in forest/olive from Synthetic Turf International. It comes in 15' wide rolls that you can customize to whatever length you need (I went with 15' x 18' to that I didn't have to seam parts together to cover my subfloor). I stimped the turf upon delivery at 10. I purchased a roller and rolled the area 3 times (280 lb) and that increased the stimp to 12 (IMPORTANT: increase your speed slowly - 1 pass at a time because you can't make it slower if you've gone too far lol) 😉 

This turf was also relatively easy to cut which was important when it came time to cut out the putting holes and trim the edges to fit the subfloor space. All I needed was a stencil and a utility knife. I used double-sided tape around the perimeter to add some adhesion to the plastic sub floor also (and around the hitting mat area in the middle).

Considerations: My installation was up a narrow set of stairs. The roll weighed 250 lb and had a stiff cardboard tube through the center of the roll. Lots of geometric manipulation was required to get this thing from my downstairs foyer to the sub floor upstairs. Plan ahead to ensure you can actually get the turf to where you need it! Pile height is also important. There are options for 3/8" & 1/2" pile heights from STI. My subfloor was 2" high in addition to the 1/2" pile from my putting turf. This becomes important because the hitting mat turf that is in the middle of the putting area needs to be the same height as the surrounding area so that everything is flush. $1,685

Link: Synthetic Turf International NP55

Hitting Mat Turf: The best that I found out there in this arena was hands down the Real Feel Golf Mat from Country Club Elite. The biggest difference between this mat and the rest is that if you actually hit a fat shot on this turf, you will actually hit a fat shot! There is no "bounce" up into the ball like there is with most other mats out there (great for improvement and easy on your wrists). You will improve your ball striking by mimicking the interaction you would have on real grass instead of masking poor technique. This turf is extremely durable and wont leave material stains on the bottom of your clubs either. Many size options are available. I purchased the 5' x 4' mat (2" thick) and cut it down to a 2' x 5' strip to insert into the simulator space. In order to make the height match the putting area around it, i used a 1/2" tall Champion Panel from Tour Links underneath.  $434

Link: Country Club Elite Real Feel Golf Mat

If you don't want or need the putting area discussed above, you can order the 5' x 5' or 5' x 10' mat and hit balls using this for your stance space also. It is hefty and shouldn't move around when you hit. 

IMG-2425.jpg

IMG-2655.jpg

IMG-2652.jpg

IMG-2699.jpg

IMG-3422.jpg

IMG-3423.jpg

IMG-3424.jpg

IMG-3425.jpg

IMG-3426.jpg

IMG-3693.jpg

IMG-3660.jpg

IMG-3692.jpg

IMG-3698.jpg

Edited by FlyboyAF

Ross Danaher

Stage 6: Projector

Projectors: I investigated a lot of options including BenQ, Optoma, Sony, and Epson. The important factors in selecting the right projector for your application are

• Throw Ratio - The mounting distance away from the screen (D) divided by the width of the projected image (W)..... D/W
    • Most simulators will require a short throw or ultra-short throw ratio because of available room length (0.3:1 to 1:1)
    • You can buy projectors without lenses. The lens is the piece that is responsible for the throw capability (short-throw lens)
      • You can also cheat throw distance by buying a projector with a good amount of zoom ability
    • Link - Projector Central Throw Calculator (also a great site and resource for projector information)
  • Lumens - Brightness of the projected image
    • Less lumens are required for darker rooms and more lumens are needed for rooms with more natural light so that the projected image isn't washed out by the ambient conditions
    • Minimum Lumens: 2000 in a dark room
    • Recommended Lumens: 3000+
    • Optimum Performance: 5000+
  • Aspect Ratio - Relationship of width:height of the projected image
    • Typical ARs are 4:3 (Rectangular), 16:9 (HD), and 16:10 (Awesomest)
  • Resolution - Number of pixels contained in the image (pixels for width x pixels for height). The "W" below stands for "Wide" used with 16:9 & 16:10 ARs
    • SVGA to UXGA: Resolutions for a 4:3 AR 
      • 800 x 600 to 1600 x 1200
    • WXGA to WUXGA: Resolutions for 16:9 & 16:10 AR
      • 1280 x 800 to 1920 x 1200
    • The more pixels you have, the clearer and crisper your image shall be
    • There are also 4K specs, but now you're getting into ridiculous amounts of $$$$ 🤣

In the end I went with the Epson Pro G7500 projector w/Epson Short-Throw Lens (ELPLU03)$5,424

Link - Best Deals I Found on Projector & Lens - Tierney Brothers

• 6500 Lumens
  • 16:10 Native Aspect Ratio
  • 1920 x 1200 Resolution (WUXGA)
  • 50,000:1 Contrast Ratio
  • 1.0 - 1.2x Zoom Ratio
  • 0.65 - 0.78 Throw Ratio in 16:10 AR
  • Throw Distance of 9' 11" back from screen

Mounts are also a whole world unto themselves.....

I went with the Epson ELPMB 47 Low Profile Mount to maintain as much vertical clearance as possible between a golfer swinging a club and the expensive projector lol $322

IMG-2594.jpg

IMG-2595.jpg

Porjected Image.jpg

projector.PNG

Edited by FlyboyAF

Ross Danaher

Stage 7: Launch Monitor Selection

The all important decision....

There are manufacturers out there that sell all-inclusive simulator solutions like Opti Shot, SkyTrak, Full Swing Golf (used by Tiger & Spieth), Tru Golf, etc. These systems can run you anywhere from $500 to above $50K and have their own tracking systems that use Infrared Sensors & Cameras. When building a simulator piece by piece and selecting components individually, you have more control over that budget. I use my simulator for entertainment by having people over to play courses they won't get to in real life, but also practice every day trying to improve my game. Ball Data & Club Data accuracy are paramount to me because of this.

I don't have 24'+ of room behind me in my simulator space, so Trackman was out of the question. The best launch monitor currently out there on the market anyway (IMO) is the Foresight GC Quad. It has 4 cameras that take 20,000 pictures per second to not only give you ball data that is +/- 1% of Trackman 4 numbers, but also shows you where you hit the ball on the club face! Gear effect will determine ball curvature and is something that Trackman cannot determine. Thus, if you hit the ball out on the toe of an iron with a neutral swing path (creating a draw curvature), Trackman will tell you that you hit a straight shot or fade while GC Quad will show you the true shot shape of a draw. Knowing where you strike the ball on the club face is also invaluable in helping you improve your ball striking. 

The compact unit is portable (indoor use or bring it out on the course or to the range with you), doesn't require any special room considerations, and gives you the most accurate & complete data available. $16,085

Here is a link to a video where they test the Trackman 4 vs the GC Quad in a head to head comparison at the same time off of 1 test subject hitting balls with PW, 7i, and Driver - Trackman 4 vs GC Quad Head-to-Head Comparison

IMG-3705.jpg

IMG-3704.jpg

Edited by FlyboyAF

Ross Danaher

Great thread and I'll be following along.  Just hope my wife doesn't notice my research 🙂

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

This is a great thread. I myself have done quite a bit of research but nowhere near this detailed. I also don't have the space or funds to do this type of project. Although I did tell my wife that if/when we build a house the basement will be 10'+ and I will have a golf simulator setup down there.
I'm currently running an Optishot setup I. My garage that in total was about $500. With simulator, projector and DIY screen and mat

Using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

Looks like an awesome set up and thanks for sharing in such detail. This time next week I will be the proud owner of an in home golf simulator. It took me two years to get approval from the wife but now that my son is playing it made it easier.

Unfortunately my wife said whatever I spend on my setup I would have to spend an equal amount on a piece of jewelry for her. I might start a building a low end golf simulator thread next week.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

8 hours ago, Wedgie said:

Looks like an awesome set up and thanks for sharing in such detail. This time next week I will be the proud owner of an in home golf simulator. It took me two years to get approval from the wife but now that my son is playing it made it easier.

Unfortunately my wife said whatever I spend on my setup I would have to spend an equal amount on a piece of jewelry for her. I might start a building a low end golf simulator thread next week.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Nice which simulator you going to get? I'm curious which one Flyboy ends up with as well.

Hope your wife enjoys her jewelry 😉

Just now, pozzit said:

Nice which simulator you going to get? I'm curious which one Flyboy ends up with as well.

Hope your wife enjoys her jewelry 😉

I ordered a SkyTrak and cannot wait to get it.  Net arrived yesterday, the mat is out for delivery right now and the monitor get's in tomorrow.  I'm not starting with a projector so I picked up a TV the other day and wall mounted it so it is up and functional and works well with an IPad.  Problem is every time I buy something it is like paying double because of the jewelry part of this and she is asking for receipts.  I was able to bypass the system last night with a cash purchase of a laser to align the thing.

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

That requirement on the equal jewelry spend would have clipped this project short for sure!! 🤣

Luckily, I'm a single guy at the moment....so the simulator was here before she was and she'll know what she's in for from Day 1! haha

Ross Danaher

That requirement on the equal jewelry spend would have clipped this project short for sure!! 
Luckily, I'm a single guy at the moment....so the simulator was here before she was and she'll know what she's in for from Day 1! haha
Was just in a lesson in a simulator bay and got me thinking about this project. How is it going? Any Christmas advancement?

Pozzit - Finished it a couple of weeks ago lol. This is just the details of what I did, researched, and installed lol. I've been practicing on it and playing rounds on it every day since!
Awesome glad your enjoying it look forward to all the details.

ah he got to the most important part already..... He's single. No way any of our wives let us drop that type of cash on a golf simulator, AND use a room in the house, AND tear out a closet (which im sure would be used for towels etc).

Sweet setup for sure! ...but unrealistic for the married man haha 🤣

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

3 hours ago, JonMUSC08 said:

ah he got to the most important part already..... He's single. No way any of our wives let us drop that type of cash on a golf simulator, AND use a room in the house, AND tear out a closet (which im sure would be used for towels etc).

Sweet setup for sure! ...but unrealistic for the married man haha 🤣

There have to be some wives out there that understand right?! 😂😂 

If not, there is a chance that I'll be Batchin' it for the rest of my days haha

Ross Danaher

Great thread,  I think many of us probably had no idea the amount of thought and planning...not to mention cost... that would go into setting up a first class simulator area.   I"m looking forward to seeing some pics of the finished product. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

FlyBoy, thanks so much for all the detailed info - it took enormous time just to post all this info and we are very grateful - even if not doing a whole project, the parts can be very valuable (like turf or hitting mat or screen, etc.)!!!

For those that keep asking to see the project results, look above, he posted many pictures in his initial message that show project pictures from beginning to a virtually finished project.

Wow great detail and that amount makes me cringe a little but its only money. Obviously you went completely professional in every step. great write up and we all thank you for documenting each step and decision. GCQuad is a great choice. 

....so the real question is when are we all invited over? 

That's beautiful. How long did it take?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

Fantastic job.  It looks incredible.  As for the total cost.  Probably about the same as a kitchen remodel.   

And I know I would spend a lot more time on the simulator than in the kitchen.  Ha 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

On 12/31/2019 at 12:21 PM, pozzit said:

Wow great detail and that amount makes me cringe a little but its only money. Obviously you went completely professional in every step. great write up and we all thank you for documenting each step and decision. GCQuad is a great choice. 

....so the real question is when are we all invited over? 

When are you coming to Houston?! 🙂

Ross Danaher

On 12/31/2019 at 5:49 PM, dhartmann34 said:

That's beautiful. How long did it take?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Thank you!! It's been a lot of fun to use with friends and for my daily practice.

I started planning with the drawings and mapping out the space in April. I broke up the purchasing & building into stages just about as I laid out the Posts above...I did most of the work myself, so it took about 7 months to complete (research, budget, build time).

Ross Danaher

• 1 month later...

Thanks a lot for this incredibly detailed rundown. I'm a first-time father-to-be and we're also looking at buying a new bigger house in the near future. I've managed to convince my wife that putting a simulator into the house will alleviate my urges to go to the range several times a week--therefore, I'm home more often. I'm pretty sure she just loves me, she doesn't actually fall for my sell tactics.

My budget promises to be about 1/4 of yours, but you've still laid out a lot of the things to consider (even if I have to do many of them much cheaper). I have a really handy father who can save me a lot on the labor and will jerry rig many of these things that you have done incredibly well. I think the biggest challenge, at least in my opinion, will be on the technology side. Deciding the best launch monitor/software set up for the price. I'd love the GC Quad, but that kills my budget immediately.

Either way, absolutely great job--you've inspired me further haha

Columbus, Ohio - Go Bucks (and Browns, Tribe & Cavs)

WITB (RH, all are 1" short):

D - 10.5° TaylorMade SIM Max - Stiff Flex UST V2 shaft & Ventus Red 5 / 3W - Ping i20 - Stiff TFC 707 (stock) / 3H - Taylor Made M3 - 6.0 Flex Even Flow blue / 4-PW - Mizuno JPX 900 Forged - 5.5 Flex Project X LZ - 2° Strong / W - 52°, 56°, 60° Cleveland TA900 / P - Scotty Cameron GoLo 5