TESTERS WANTED! ×

Terry Koehler is at it again...

MattF

https://mygolfspy.com/first-look-edison-forged-wedges-by-terry-koehler/

I love his wedges, but at an eventual price of $179 each with only KBS (I don't get along with them) shafts is asking a touch much, IMO. I can get a custom CBX2 with the shaft that I want for the same price.

What do you think?

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Not for me. There are plenty more wedges available that offer more customization for less and I don’t tend to suffer from the problems Terry’s trying to solve. If he had come back with something like SCOR I would have been game to try, but I’ll most likely be going back to Vokey or experimenting with Mizuno the next time I make a wedge purchase.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Based in the profile and whom they are targeting these are not for me. I didn’t get along too well with the TK15s when I had tested them for MGS so these will be a hard pass for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

I'm somewhat interested in new wedges/heads this coming spring. But I'm not an equipment jukie by any means. Meaning when I find equipment/design/brand I stick with them for a long time assuming they're still available that is. Most likely I'll not try the Edison wedges or any others because I love my Wishon wedges as they have been the best - most versatile i've ever played over my 50+ years of golf. My fitter will build them for me. Perfectly! 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I’m not so offended by the price as others have mentioned. Any mass-produced low-tech wedge on the market is going to cost you at least $140-160. 

When you have Titleist offering the same old bland, new edition Vokey line it’s refreshing to see something different.  

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Terry addressed the pricing in our discussion - it hit the cutting room floor which, in retrospect, was probably a mistake. As far as the $179 goes - he realizes it's anywhere from 20 to 40 bucks more than your basic Cleveland, Callaway, Vokey wedge, but points out the following:

1. It's a forged head vs. a cast head, which adds cost

2. The Durable Chrome plating is 6 microns thick compared to standard wedge plating which is 3 microns thicks - that double thickness costs money. 

3. Stock shafts are what he considered higher end, and there's no upcharge for the KBS TGI graphite shaft - which adds cost.

4. The stock shaft is the GP MCC +4, which is twice the cost of the standard Tour Velvet that most others use - which adds cost.

5. There's no charge for loft, length and lie adjustments - some OEMs charge for that, some don't. 

6. He's little - he doesn't have the buying power as the bigger guys.

What he didn't say, but what one can infer, is that based on all that, in order to make the profit margin he wants, that's the price. Any business person needs to have an idea of how many of whatever the product is they can sell at a given price to make the margin they want/need to make to be profitable. Would he sell a ton more if he priced the wedge at $149? Maybe, maybe not - but there's no point in selling more if you're ultimately losing money or breaking even.

This is business 101, but let's say you're working on a 30% gross profit margin. If you cut your selling price 10%, you'd need to move 50% MORE VOLUME of product just to be where you were profit-wise. I have no idea what profit margin Terry is working on, but do any of you think he'd sell 50% MORE wedges if he dropped the price to $159? If he dropped the price to $149 he'd have to sell TWICE AS MANY to get to the same place he was with lower volume and higher margins.

Again, I have no idea what margins he's working on, but I know Terry well enough that he's not the kind of guy to gouge - he's a straight shooter. Maybe what he's shooting at isn't attainable, but what he says is what he thinks. 

Ultimately, the only thing that matters to each one of us is if we find that wedge to be worth the money. It's a limiting price, but one I presume was well thought out. 

He doesn't have a demo program yet - probably too early for him to make that decision, since he won't have product till the spring - but that 60-day guaranty is interesting. Don't like the wedges, he'll buy you whatever you want. 

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

$180 actually isnt that out of line for a high-end wedge.  Id never pay that much or a wedge but Im sure a lot of people will.  I mean, people are more than happy to line up to buy whatever new wedge Bob Vokey comes out with and those things arent even forged.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

17 hours ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

He doesn't have a demo program yet - probably too early for him to make that decision, since he won't have product till the spring - but that 60-day guaranty is interesting. Don't like the wedges, he'll buy you whatever you want. 

TK is from my hometown (Victoria, TX) and Edison Golf also appears to file there, so I’m certainly rooting for him.

Growing up I was stupid steep around the green and never got along with the Eidelon grinds. Thankfully that’s no longer the situation. But what he’s saying about the physics of “forgiveness” in wedge design and typical course conditions, makes a lot of sense.

That said, the new Edison line seems to be more of a full swing focused system. TK talks about how pros hit different spots on the face to produce specific wedge shot characteristics and that these are a deliberate departure from such notions. And without more aggressive grind options, you can’t effectively choose different parts of the face to intentionally alter touch shots. Tmag’s High Toe wedge for example, is a very different marriage of CG relocation theory and grind.

So I’m not sure these would offer the short game creativity that I’m comfortable employing. But based on the testing data tables, these have the potential to turn a miss that’s 50 feet short in the bunker into a 20 footer. In that regard, I think this design is potentially what has been missing from the average amateur’s arsenal. And perhaps even the kind of product that brings amateur strategy back to full swing fairway yardage -vs- the bomb and gouge everyone is on about these days.

Regarding the 60 day guarantee - it sounds like you send the wedges back, but they keep your dough and use it to purchase something more to your liking? That’s very... bold, especially for a fledgling operation. Me thinks the used return process might also entail a stern inquisition. But that’s TK in a nutshell, and to me, rings as a testament of faith in his product. My current wedges are approaching the end of their performance timeline, so I’m legitimately tempted to sign up for the zero liability “500 Club” roll-out.

*raise your hand if you think it would be unacceptably weird for me to game 4-PW blades and cavity back wedges.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

I am one of those lovers of SCOR wedges.  I used 42, 46, 50, 54, and 58 SCORs for a few years.  I liked TK's design where the CG of the club changed depending on which loft grouping you used to lower the trajectory.  I am not a high wedge guy; I don't full swing a 54.  

I was nearly swayed to go the Ben Hogan TK wedges a few years ago and later the Equalizer wedges because I liked the V-sole.  But when TK decided to retire, I hesitated.  Maybe I wanted to see what he decided to do with the rest of his life.  Now I know.  My problem is that I moved on to the Callaway 19 PM Grind wedges with the C-grind sole.  I can do lots more around the green with these wedges than I could with the SCORs, but I do not hit full shots with them.  If I did, I would consider the Edison wedges.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 12/20/2019 at 10:52 PM, downlowkey said:

*raise your hand if you think it would be unacceptably weird for me to game 4-PW blades and cavity back wedges.

I think it's awesome if that's right for your game.  But I also get the feeling that TK's going to sell more of these to handicaps > 5.  I like this idea, but then I was also a big fan of the Cleveland CBX before getting the Cobra F8s and sticking with those wedges.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino