Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Dlow206 does away with double bogeys

16 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I will be curious to see what distance you gain since all there is only a 1* difference between the two sets except in the 7&8 iron where the t300 has 2* difference. All things being equal that’s about 6 yards in the 2* gap and 2-3 yards in the 1* gap.

The other thing I’ll be curious to read about is ball height between the two. For me I didn’t see much difference in the 565 and ap3

There is the small difference in lofts plus the difference in shafts. In the past, I have done better with softer tip shafts, which is what the Tensei AM2 blue shafts are. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

2 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

There is the small difference in lofts plus the difference in shafts. In the past, I have done better with softer tip shafts, which is what the Tensei AM2 blue shafts are. 

Yeah that’s where I’m curious about the height which some of the curiosity will be what spin looks like too. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Stan Utley is Charles Barkley's current instructor. I am annotating here. But, in his first lesson with Chuck, Stan asked him how many voices are talking to you before you hit your shot? Depending on the person, simplicity can be a good thing.

5 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Yeah that’s where I’m curious about the height which some of the curiosity will be what spin looks like too. 

i should do a thorough quantitative comparison but likely won't do a full apples to apples comparison. going to have jumbomax XS grips on the Titleist irons whereas i have undersized grips on my ZX5. things like that will impact how i swing the clubs and the end result. plus, knowing myself, i will probably sell the ZX5s as soon as the T300 set comes lol. 

Updated 07/15/2022
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip

36 minutes ago, joedeausen said:

Stan Utley is Charles Barkley's current instructor. I am annotating here. But, in his first lesson with Chuck, Stan asked him how many voices are talking to you before you hit your shot? Depending on the person, simplicity can be a good thing.

I actually don't have that many swing thoughts, even when I am going for a low score. I have my pre-shot thought about where i am aiming and what shot i want to hit. setup thought is just to make sure i am setup correctly. and then almost no swing though, except with driver. my driver swing thought is to feel vertical on the backswing (prevents me from taking it back to inside). And actually my driver is up there as one of the most reliable clubs in the bag. 

Updated 07/15/2022

My takeaway started to get a little too inside and needed to be more vertical with my one plane swing. Was working on that today and the swing felt and looked better.

Updated 07/15/2022

17 hours ago, dlow206 said:

I actually don't have that many swing thoughts, even when I am going for a low score. I have my pre-shot thought about where i am aiming and what shot i want to hit. setup thought is just to make sure i am setup correctly. and then almost no swing though, except with driver. my driver swing thought is to feel vertical on the backswing (prevents me from taking it back to inside). And actually my driver is up there as one of the most reliable clubs in the bag. 

I had a similar thought with my driver this year, then it occurred to me that driver had become my strongest club. I copied that idea over to all full swings and it has helped all of my ball striking at this point. Having 1 thought that is the opposite of your main flaw is a good idea. Worth a shot if you struggled with all your other full swing shots recently. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

2 hours ago, dlow206 said:

My takeaway started to get a little too inside and needed to be more vertical with my one plane swing. Was working on that today and the swing felt and looked better.

Looks good!  Much better transition.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 minute ago, Kenny B said:

Looks good!  Much better transition.

Thanks, was working on transition a bit, but not trying to overcomplicate it. I just make sure I feel like i am being patient in transition. 

Updated 07/15/2022

Making some strides in ballstriking with the one plane swing. When I execute properly, I have started to take a thin divot after the ball that is fairly straight in nature, not massively left, not massively right. I have identified a couple of things that have helped improve my swing that I need to continue to ingrain.

First is incorrect hip turn in the backswing. The biggest issue is I sort of stand up a bit while turning in the backswing. So it ends up looking like I have made a big hip turn and my right leg is super straight. Now, I know there is nothing wrong with a big hip turn and the right leg straightening in the backswing, but the way I execute it is incorrect. For me, using the Downunder board or at least the idea of the Downunder board and keeping some inward pressure on the trail foot helps me with this.

Second thing is feeling more patient in transition. When I start to get too quick in transition, I get a little bit out of sequence and stuck on the downswing. 

Updated 07/15/2022

And the one other thing is inside takeaway, that definitely creeps in as well. 

This plus the other two issues are not new issues from my move to the one plane swing. They are issues I have with the two plane swing as well. 

Updated 07/15/2022

9 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

And the one other thing is inside takeaway, that definitely creeps in as well. 

This plus the other two issues are not new issues from my move to the one plane swing. They are issues I have with the two plane swing as well. 

Yes, on the last video it looks like you are too far inside but maybe it's the camera angle.  You got the club near parallel with almost no body rotation.  

Here's a drill you can try that helped me when I was doing the single plane swing.  This is a slo-mo drill; do not hit the ball.  

Put an alignment stick through the grip in the end of the shaft.  (If you don't want to drill out the grip, then hold or tape the alignment stick against the grip.)  Place another ball 6 feet back along the target line and one foot to the inside.  (Distances can change depending on club used.)  Set up to the ball with the alignment stick touching the left side of your body.  It will feel awkward; that's OK.  Start the backswing with body rotation only... keeping the alignment stick against your left side... until club points to the back ball.  The idea is to feel that your body rotation taking the club back.  When you continue to the top of the swing, the alignment stick should point at or just inside the back ball.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

17 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Yes, on the last video it looks like you are too far inside but maybe it's the camera angle.  You got the club near parallel with almost no body rotation.  

Here's a drill you can try that helped me when I was doing the single plane swing.  This is a slo-mo drill; do not hit the ball.  

Put an alignment stick through the grip in the end of the shaft.  (If you don't want to drill out the grip, then hold or tape the alignment stick against the grip.)  Place another ball 6 feet back along the target line and one foot to the inside.  (Distances can change depending on club used.)  Set up to the ball with the alignment stick touching the left side of your body.  It will feel awkward; that's OK.  Start the backswing with body rotation only... keeping the alignment stick against your left side... until club points to the back ball.  The idea is to feel that your body rotation taking the club back.  When you continue to the top of the swing, the alignment stick should point at or just inside the back ball.  

I was thinking of another drill or feel of starting the swing by pushing my left hand

Updated 07/15/2022

2 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

I was thinking of another drill or feel of starting the swing by pushing my left hand

Similar, but your right hand is so dominant that it will likely still take over.  Mine did. You can also rotate and extend your left wrist which will put the club inside.  At least for awhile you will probably need something that tells you the club isn't being manipulated in the takeaway.

55 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Similar, but your right hand is so dominant that it will likely still take over.  Mine did. You can also rotate and extend your left wrist which will put the club inside.  At least for awhile you will probably need something that tells you the club isn't being manipulated in the takeaway.

The dominant right hand is precisely my problem. 

Updated 07/15/2022

20 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Yup!  Mine too!!!

@KennyB here is with the left hand push to start the swing from today

Updated 07/15/2022

3 hours ago, dlow206 said:

@KennyB here is with the left hand push to start the swing from today

A little better at the start of takeaway, but still looks inside at club parallel.  Place a club to the right of the mat along your toe line.  At club parallel your club should be directly over the club on ground.  Looks like the butt of your club is pointed a little right of target.

7 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

A little better at the start of takeaway, but still looks inside at club parallel.  Place a club to the right of the mat along your toe line.  At club parallel your club should be directly over the club on ground.  Looks like the butt of your club is pointed a little right of target.

Are you referring to about here? One thing that partially distorts the picture is that the mats are not lined up straight, they are pointed left. 

image.png.daf9cc39c487a5cd7af0c6297eccc99c.png

Updated 07/15/2022

1 minute ago, dlow206 said:

Are you referring to about here? One thing that partially distorts the picture is that the mats are not lined up straight, they are pointed left. 

image.png.daf9cc39c487a5cd7af0c6297eccc99c.png

I wasn't looking at the mats; just where the club is at parallel in relation to toe line.  That's where the club should be, but it's not at parallel yet.  From this point to club parallel, it looks like the club goes inside.

4 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I wasn't looking at the mats; just where the club is at parallel in relation to toe line.  That's where the club should be, but it's not at parallel yet.  From this point to club parallel, it looks like the club goes inside.

Thanks, I see what you are saying. 

Updated 07/15/2022

@Kenny B- i was thinking about the inside takeaway and had a small epiphany in my mind. i have always thought about and tried to fix how the arms are moving. my minor epiphany was thinking about it from a hand path and wrist angles perspective. for some reason i have a better mind-body connection when thinking about hand path instead of arm movement, just a very individual thing

Updated 07/15/2022

Think i am a bit more on plane now in the backswing. @Kenny B - thoughts?

Updated 07/15/2022

Think i am a bit more on plane now in the backswing. @Kenny B - thoughts?

👍  Best swing I've seen so far.  Good job Derrick!  

Keep this one handy to compare with future swings.  You should be able to play very well with that swing.

1 minute ago, Kenny B said:

👍  Best swing I've seen so far.  Good job Derrick!  

Keep this one handy to compare with future swings.  You should be able to play very well with that swing.

Thanks. The fix that ended up making the biggest difference was just gripping the club properly with my left hand. My left hand was just getting super sloppy with my grip and that just put me in a bad position to start with in terms of wrist angles. My one plane instructor has a way to ensure the left hand is on the club properly each time, and I need to do that every time. 

Updated 07/15/2022

• 2 weeks later...

Not perfect, but generally liking my swing at the moment. Path looks pretty neutral. 

Updated 07/15/2022

8 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Not perfect, but generally liking my swing at the moment. Path looks pretty neutral. 

looks good man really smooth 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

Looks good to me.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list