On 9/30/2021 at 11:25 AM, Nolan220 said:

looks good man really smooth 

On 9/30/2021 at 11:29 AM, Shankster said:

Looks great man.  

On 9/30/2021 at 1:26 PM, Rickp said:

Looks good to me.

23 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

Looking good!

Thanks guys. I feel like the one plane swing is taking my game to the next level. Seems like the results are more consistent (less big misses) and in my opinion, its a bit easier to debug what's going wrong in the swing. I'm not going to preach that everyone switch to the one plane swing, but if anyone struggles and find they are not improving despite putting in the work, take a look at the one plane swing. Using the Kirk Junge system, the only thing that I feel like i am doing differently than a two plane swing is the setup. I know other one plane swings like the Moe Norman swing require standing farther away from the ball, keeping the right foot planted at impact, and some other stuff, but there is non of that with the Kirk Junge system. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

12 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Thanks guys. I feel like the one plane swing is taking my game to the next level. Seems like the results are more consistent (less big misses) and in my opinion, its a bit easier to debug what's going wrong in the swing. I'm not going to preach that everyone switch to the one plane swing, but if anyone struggles and find they are not improving despite putting in the work, take a look at the one plane swing. Using the Kirk Junge system, the only thing that I feel like i am doing differently than a two plane swing is the setup. I know other one plane swings like the Moe Norman swing require standing farther away from the ball, keeping the right foot planted at impact, and some other stuff, but there is non of that with the Kirk Junge system. 

I used to do the Moe Norman swing years ago and I hurt my back and I just stopped and went back to my normal swing. My buddy has been doing the Moe Norman swing for like over a year now and loves it he was like a scratch golfer before kids, he also just switch to the Jumbo grips not sure how thats going though I will have to ask him. I was hitting it into my net the other day and started to mess with it again .. might make the switch 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

50 minutes ago, Nolan220 said:

I used to do the Moe Norman swing years ago and I hurt my back and I just stopped and went back to my normal swing. My buddy has been doing the Moe Norman swing for like over a year now and loves it he was like a scratch golfer before kids, he also just switch to the Jumbo grips not sure how thats going though I will have to ask him. I was hitting it into my net the other day and started to mess with it again .. might make the switch 

For me, going to the the Moe Norman style would be too much. Kirk was a student of Moe at one time and taught the Moe Norman system for a while before creating his own system. Think he said that they would have people practice for like 6 months before even attempting to go out on the course. With the Kirk Junge system, you can game it pretty much right away. Less net change from two plane swing. Big change is just setup. You don't stand farther away, and the lower body movement remains the same as a two plane swing. 

Updated 07/15/2022
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip

1 hour ago, dlow206 said:

For me, going to the the Moe Norman style would be too much. Kirk was a student of Moe at one time and taught the Moe Norman system for a while before creating his own system. Think he said that they would have people practice for like 6 months before even attempting to go out on the course. With the Kirk Junge system, you can game it pretty much right away. Less net change from two plane swing. Big change is just setup. You don't stand farther away, and the lower body movement remains the same as a two plane swing. 

I agree moe style way to much .. I tried it just didn’t like it .. I am going to look into the Kirk Junge system 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

Was hitting the ball really crooked today, which happens, but the key was i discovered why, and also discovered why the issue doesnt show up on my swing videos.

so what was happening, was for longer clubs where the ball is placed a bit more forward than center, my head was moving laterally toward the target and my body was doing bad things a long with the movement. It doesnt show up on my swing videos because i always hit short irons in the videos and i play the ball just about middle or maybe a ball forward of middle.

after my round, worked on keeping my head from moving too much laterally on the downswing and was making better contact and hitting the ball straighter.

Updated 07/15/2022

• 2 weeks later...

Played pretty crappy on the front 9, pretty decently on the back 9. Only change was I decided to switch to a 10 finger grip on the back 9, and that made my strikes much better. Note, the 10 finger grip wasn't something completely new, have done it before and generally like the result. 10 finger on the jumbomax works better than overlap for me. This was the first time all my clubs had the jumbo max grips on them.

What i noticed is that my wrists move differently with an overlap vs. 10 finger. With the overlap, i tend to do that wrist move that gets the club moving too much inside on the backswing and then its all compensation from there. With the 10 finger, i feel the wrists automatically go back more vertical, which is what i want. 

Updated 07/15/2022

• 3 weeks later...

The handicap reporting season in WA state is winding down in the next week. At the end of this handicap season, my handicap is 19.3. That is down three strokes from the highest handicap number from last season. I would like to have dropped that number more over a year, but progress is progress and i will celebrate progress. 

Updated 07/15/2022

20 hours ago, dlow206 said:

The handicap reporting season in WA state is winding down in the next week. At the end of this handicap season, my handicap is 19.3. That is down three strokes from the highest handicap number from last season. I would like to have dropped that number more over a year, but progress is progress and i will celebrate progress. 

What's your lowest score this year? Since that is the topic of the thread and all... 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

5 hours ago, BMart519 said:

What's your lowest score this year? Since that is the topic of the thread and all... 

Lowest 18 holes was 92

Lowest 9 holes was 42

Updated 07/15/2022

3 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Lowest 18 holes was 92

Lowest 9 holes was 42

Dude we should just play a round together. We both were so close this season. Bet the stars would align if we met up

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

3 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

Dude we should just play a round together. We both were so close this season. Bet the stars would align if we met up

For sure, lets find an easier course, then we will break 90. 

Updated 07/15/2022

17 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

For sure, lets find an easier course, then we will break 90. 

Well if you ever make it down here,  quail valley isn't easy but it is somewhat open which helps 😉 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

10 hours ago, rbsiedsc said:

Well if you ever make it down here,  quail valley isn't easy but it is somewhat open which helps 😉 

That helps, im tired of taking a penalty if a shot is 10 yards offline from the edge of the fairway lol

Updated 07/15/2022

Have a trip to So Cal coming up for the holidays in December. Planning to make a visit to Monte for a lesson. I am still working with Kirk on the one plane swing and will continue to do so, but I think there is benefit to Monte being able to see my swing in-person, and also for a playing lesson. Monte is aware that I am working on a one plane swing and is fine with it. Besides the difference in setup, most of the fundamentals that make a good swing remain the same between Kirk's teachings and Monte's teachings.

(Note: Kirk's one plane swing teachings are a lot different than the Moe Norman one-plane, so I could see where there would be conflict between approaches with Monte's approach if I were following the Moe Norman style). 

Updated 07/15/2022

So I tend to have an issue where my arms get behind on the downswing. Its not an issue that is specific to the one plane swing or the two plane swing, i just get out of sequence and it happens. Able to play fine sometimes but other times it makes golf really hard. The reason my arms get behind is because in transition my head and hips start to move towards the target too much before my arms have had a chance to catch up. 

On course today, I remembered an intent that Monte had mentioned on an Instagram post that was tailored to folks that move their head too much forward toward the target. The intent is to get the trail shoulder to feel like it is passing the chin on the downswing. Putting something like this into play on course without even trying it before is usually a recipe for disaster. For irons, I got ball flight like I had never seen before, longer irons were more piercing in trajectory and flying straight, shorter irons were flying high but farther than normal, but still landing soft. 

Also to note, I am still doing the one plane swing and a big believer in it, but there are some things like this that are common issues across any type of swing system that I have used. 

Updated 07/15/2022

• 3 weeks later...

Continuing to try to figure out how to consistently avoid the inside takeaway. Its a really hard thing to completely get rid of. I know what is supposed to happen in the backswing, i know a lot of drills and feels to help avoid the inside takeaway, i can produce some swings where i have less of an inside takeaway, but i have yet to make it automatic yet. 

Updated 07/15/2022

5 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Continuing to try to figure out how to consistently avoid the inside takeaway. Its a really hard thing to completely get rid of. I know what is supposed to happen in the backswing, i know a lot of drills and feels to help avoid the inside takeaway, i can produce some swings where i have less of an inside takeaway, but i have yet to make it automatic yet. 

It just takes time.   I have been working on my pitch/chip shots for over a year and it has only been in the last couple of months that the motion has been more natural.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

It just takes time.   I have been working on my pitch/chip shots for over a year and it has only been in the last couple of months that the motion has been more natural.  

Yep, it takes time. I continue to even get sloppy on the more basics things, like grip, which tends to exacerbate other swing issues. 

Updated 07/15/2022

2 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Curious if it’s the hands getting inside or is it the club rolling to the inside?

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

7 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Curious if it’s the hands getting inside or is it the club rolling to the inside?

It gets back to P2 ok and then the wrist hinge gets a bit too horizontal so the club starts going inside.

It's not as bad when I grip the club properly with my right hand. I haven't been actually trying to change anything with my grip on purpose, it just started to get sloppy back to how i used to improperly hold the club. 

Updated 07/15/2022

4 hours ago, dlow206 said:

It gets back to P2 ok and then the wrist hinge gets a bit too horizontal so the club starts going inside.

It's not as bad when I grip the club properly with my right hand. I haven't been actually trying to change anything with my grip on purpose, it just started to get sloppy back to how i used to improperly hold the club. 

Ok. That is defiantly an issue compared to just the hands moving in and club getting set vertically

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

19 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Before every full swing/practice shot, take a practice swing to P2 and pause then move back to address. Then another backswing to P3, pause in the correct location, and move back to the ball arriving in a position closer to "impact" - hips open, forward shaft lean, side bend, etc. 

Also doing these slow motion rehearsals without a ball. Doing a P2 takeaway like Justin Thomas could be helpful on course. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

16 minutes ago, BMart519 said:

Before every full swing/practice shot, take a practice swing to P2 and pause then move back to address. Then another backswing to P3, pause in the correct location, and move back to the ball arriving in a position closer to "impact" - hips open, forward shaft lean, side bend, etc. 

Also doing these slow motion rehearsals without a ball. Doing a P2 takeaway like Justin Thomas could be helpful on course. 

I found something that helps me. If I setup with my trail foot flared slightly inward, the inside takeaway mostly goes away (or goes away completely) without me consciously doing anything different in the swing. Prevents over rotation as well for me. Probably not a very good solution for very many people, but i have flexible joints. 

Updated 07/15/2022

8 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

I found something that helps me. If I setup with my trail foot flared slightly inward, the inside takeaway mostly goes away (or goes away completely) without me consciously doing anything different in the swing. Prevents over rotation as well for me. Probably not a very good solution for very many people, but i have flexible joints. 

That will certainly restrict your rotation, maybe to the point that you will lose distance.  It won't help getting your right hip back and toward the target.  

If I remember correctly from earlier swing posts, you don't have a lot of early lower body rotation, but then rotate quite a bit with upper body to compensate somewhere between P2 and P3.  With more lower body rotation early, it's easier to keep the club in front of you until P2, rather than pulling the club to the inside with your dominant hand.  I know, I did that for years!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

23 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

That will certainly restrict your rotation, maybe to the point that you will lose distance.  It won't help getting your right hip back and toward the target.  

If I remember correctly from earlier swing posts, you don't have a lot of early lower body rotation, but then rotate quite a bit with upper body to compensate somewhere between P2 and P3.  With more lower body rotation early, it's easier to keep the club in front of you until P2, rather than pulling the club to the inside with your dominant hand.  I know, I did that for years!!

For better or worse, it reduces (not eliminates) some of the other bad that happens with my current swing. 

Updated 07/15/2022

32 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

For better or worse, it reduces (not eliminates) some of the other bad that happens with my current swing. 

I’m not familiar with the one plane swing you are following and it’s thoughts on hip and shoulder angles. Also don’t know if it’s caused by this change in setup but you have a very flat swing. That’s going impact how your arms move and how the club gets on plane. Even during the time when Tiger used a one plane swing he had shoulder and hip tilt in the back swing.

11 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I’m not familiar with the one plane swing you are following and it’s thoughts on hip and shoulder angles. Also don’t know if it’s caused by this change in setup but you have a very flat swing. That’s going impact how your arms move and how the club gets on plane. Even during the time when Tiger used a one plane swing he had shoulder and hip tilt in the back swing.

Yeah, the shoulder and hip tilt is a problem that i have regardless of swing type. 

Updated 07/15/2022

@RickyBobby_PR - here is Kirk's top of backswing for reference. i tend to have too flat of a hip turn

image.png.1b6c6dafda513e6d401bf4203ca20f76.png

Updated 07/15/2022