TESTERS WANTED! ×

Dlow206 does away with double bogeys

So serious question: How do you intend to hit your scoring goals when you change equipment so much?  

I used to do the same thing until I realized that constantly changing equipment, while fun, often hurt my golf game. Once I got my bag fit to me I stopped switching clubs and my handicap dropped too

9 minutes ago, Golfspy_Lukes said:

So serious question: How do you intend to hit your scoring goals when you change equipment so much?  

I used to do the same thing until I realized that constantly changing equipment, while fun, often hurt my golf game. Once I got my bag fit to me I stopped switching clubs and my handicap dropped too

Thats a good question and valid issue. Part of the fun for me is new equipment, so i understand that could have a negative impact, and im ok with that.

However, my equipment buying habits have changed a bit. With drivers, i always end up fitting into whatever the “max ls” version is, and i don’t find too much difference when buying the new version in any negative way. With irons, i’ve landed on the fact i play my best with mizunos. I am going to be making the jump from 921 hm to 923 hm pros, which is different but not a huge leap in difference.

and i am actually sticking with my ping pld custom putter, no urge to buy any putters for gaming. Did buy that betti hive putter but thats not going to be a gamer for me, its a wall hanger.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

47 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Thats a good question and valid issue. Part of the fun for me is new equipment, so i understand that could have a negative impact, and im ok with that.

However, my equipment buying habits have changed a bit. With drivers, i always end up fitting into whatever the “max ls” version is, and i don’t find too much difference when buying the new version in any negative way. With irons, i’ve landed on the fact i play my best with mizunos. I am going to be making the jump from 921 hm to 923 hm pros, which is different but not a huge leap in difference.

and i am actually sticking with my ping pld custom putter, no urge to buy any putters for gaming. Did buy that betti hive putter but thats not going to be a gamer for me, its a wall hanger.

We will see how long those clubs last 😂😂

1 hour ago, tommc23 said:

We will see how long those clubs last 😂😂

I bet even the wall hanger is in danger of being replaced!  😄

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

2 hours ago, Shapotomous said:

I bet even the wall hanger is in danger of being replaced!  😄

always possible, always...

Updated 07/15/2022
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip

15 hours ago, dlow206 said:

One specific area that i need to work on is course strategy off the tee. I play the same course every week, so there is no reason for me not to have a strategy. Up until about two months ago, I would hit driver on every par 4. Main reason being that I didn't have much confidence in any other long club off the tee. Now i am confident hitting a 3 wood. 

For me, I believe the right times not to hit driver are:

1. When driver brings into play hazards or fairway bunkers
2. When i need to avoid a big right miss that would be OB, hazard, or something else really bad

On point 2, not saying my 3 wood is more accurate, its just that I tend to have a different type of miss with a 3 wood than a driver. I definitely can still miss right with a 3 wood, but I don't remember a time where i hit a 3 wood with that same type of huge push slice that can be very punishing on certain holes. 

To add to point 2, there's one specific hole that i can think of that i tend to get really punished on, even with a slight right miss. With the miss on that hole, you either will lose your ball, hit it into the red stake area, or be in a terrible uphill or side hill lie with trees that even makes a punch out difficult at times. 

whose approach are you using to improve your tee strategy?   I ask whose because most modern strategy pushes for driver off the tee if you hit it reasonably well since the dispersion from other clubs really isn’t that much better.  I am guessing you don’t like fairway bunkers and consider landing in them a lost shot?   Shot shape control is probably a good decision point, sounds like you driver is more left to right and 3 wood is right to left ball shape.  

you just mentioned tee shot strategy, why not a strategy for all shots?  Is driver where you lose the most shots by getting penalties and having to punch out?  What is you approach shot strategy?   If you look at you game; don’t even need strokes gained type numbers, where do you have the most problems and get the double or worse?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

whose approach are you using to improve your tee strategy?   I ask whose because most modern strategy pushes for driver off the tee if you hit it reasonably well since the dispersion from other clubs really isn’t that much better.  I am guessing you don’t like fairway bunkers and consider landing in them a lost shot?   Shot shape control is probably a good decision point, sounds like you driver is more left to right and 3 wood is right to left ball shape.  

you just mentioned tee shot strategy, why not a strategy for all shots?  Is driver where you lose the most shots by getting penalties and having to punch out?  What is you approach shot strategy?   If you look at you game; don’t even need strokes gained type numbers, where do you have the most problems and get the double or worse?

I'm aware of the strategy and stats around other clubs not having any better dispersion than driver, which makes sense. Its just that the miss I have with driver (starts right and goes further right) is deadly on 1 or 2 holes on my course. 

I am working on overall strategy for all aspects of my game, just for the purposes of a thread post, I wrote about tee strategy yesterday. 

Updated 07/15/2022

47 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

I'm aware of the strategy and stats around other clubs not having any better dispersion than driver, which makes sense. Its just that the miss I have with driver (starts right and goes further right) is deadly on 1 or 2 holes on my course. 

I am working on overall strategy for all aspects of my game, just for the purposes of a thread post, I wrote about tee strategy yesterday. 

Do you miss heel side with driver?

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

53 minutes ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

almost never, miss is toe side, but even with gearing that miss goes right and more right

Updated 07/15/2022

1 hour ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

A ball that starts right and goes right is an open face issue. If it was hit off the heel it would be more or less a shank at that point. A heel shot typically starts left and comes back right 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

3 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Didn’t say you weren’t aware, the question was whose approach are you following; seems like its simply your own approach based on potential bad shots.  

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

8 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Didn’t say you weren’t aware, the question was whose approach are you following; seems like its simply your own approach based on potential bad shots.  

it is my own approach. 

Updated 07/15/2022

15 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Cnosil is onto something. A lot of course management out there now is (Four Foundations, Decade etc...), play driver unless you can find a legitimate reason not to (distance between penalty hazards and distance between bunkers and trees). You can then aim and have your target  (two different things mind you) with the driver dispersion you have and keep cutting strokes.

As well an interesting tweet about curvature and handicap

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

My Reviews:

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

22 minutes ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

Cnosil is onto something. A lot of course management out there now is (Four Foundations, Decade etc...), play driver unless you can find a legitimate reason not to (distance between penalty hazards and distance between bunkers and trees). You can then aim and have your target  (two different things mind you) with the driver dispersion you have and keep cutting strokes.

As well an interesting tweet about curvature and handicap

I do hit driver on almost every non par 3. All holes that i don't hit driver, is because driver brings either a penalty area into play or a fairway bunker into play, which with my current fairway bunker play, is essentially a penalty for my game. 

Updated 07/15/2022

This is the only additional hole i am considering not hitting driver off the tee. If i hit 3 wood, i can aim at the bunker on the left side, but my 3 wood doesn't go far enough to ever make it to that bunker. This also reduces the risk of hitting it in the trees on the right. The trees on the right is not on flat land, so a punch out is not an easy shot. There are also red stakes on that side if you hit it deep into the trees.

961922588_Hole3.png.5e126884c546bae15cc3f407242b698d.png

Updated 07/15/2022

2 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

This is the only additional hole i am considering not hitting driver off the tee. If i hit 3 wood, i can aim at the bunker on the left side, but my 3 wood doesn't go far enough to ever make it to that bunker. This also reduces the risk of hitting it in the trees on the right. The trees on the right is not on flat land, so a punch out is not an easy shot. There are also red stakes on that side if you hit it deep into the trees.

961922588_Hole3.png.5e126884c546bae15cc3f407242b698d.png

what course is this?

My Reviews:

1 minute ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

what course is this?

Mill Creek Country Club

Updated 07/15/2022

49 minutes ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

As well an interesting tweet about curvature and handicap,,,,,

I hope they didn't pay a lot for that revelation that as handicap rises so does curvature!!!  I'll bet them that as handicap rises the odds of that curvature being a slice rather than a hook rises exponentially!  😁

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

13 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

I hope they didn't pay a lot for that revelation that as handicap rises so does curvature!!!  I'll bet them that as handicap rises the odds of that curvature being a slice rather than a hook rises exponentially!  😁

that correlation would be interesting to see if it flips

So here is a 60 yard dispersion if you aim at the bunker. The pinch point like you mention is a good reason to pull 3w. Your scoring would go up though if you could consistently get your carry to 255-260 to carry the bunker. Between penalty hazards OB/Red Stakes is 70 or so yards so if you can carry the bunker Driver is the play.

image.png.763b8fc6704dd76d6986a37199a753f7.png

My Reviews:

10 minutes ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

that correlation would be interesting to see if it flips

So here is a 60 yard dispersion if you aim at the bunker. The pinch point like you mention is a good reason to pull 3w. Your scoring would go up though if you could consistently get your carry to 255-260 to carry the bunker. Between penalty hazards OB/Red Stakes is 70 or so yards so if you can carry the bunker Driver is the play.

image.png.763b8fc6704dd76d6986a37199a753f7.png

That 260 carry shot doesn't exist in my repertoire 😂 

Updated 07/15/2022

Just now, dlow206 said:

get it there. lol 😛 

My Reviews:

5 minutes ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

get it there. lol 😛 

If i can obtain the swingspeed for 260+ carry, scores are going to go down.

unfortunately gotta get to 110 plus swingspeed to get there. 

Updated 07/15/2022

6 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

If i can obtain the swingspeed for 260+ carry, scores are going to go down.

unfortunately gotta get to 110 plus swingspeed to get there. 

you can carry 260 if your AOA is positive and swing speed is around 105. 

My speed with a ball is roughly 106-108 and i see carry over 260 regularly. 110+ gets you closer to 275-280

My Reviews:

14 hours ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

get it there. lol 😛 

But then he has to get it on the green from ‘wherever’ the drive finishes and by trying to clear the bunker it actually brings the bunker ‘into’ play. Plus the further the wider so more likely to be rough either side!

My suggestion, and it’s ‘not’ a negative one but a course management one, would be to play to definitely  be short of the bunker, then depending on lie, play to green centre or short of ditch, pitch to pin and single putt 🥳😉

Keen amateur 

Cobra King F9 driver

Callaway 3w & 5w

Taylormade M4 5-PW

Cleveland RTX mid grind 50, 58, 56, 60

Oddysey Versa Sabretooth putter (as used by Inbee Park)

Bushnell Pro X3 Rangefinder 

The other thing to look at is this is a par 5 and even if the drive clears the bunker the 2nd shot to the green is over 200 yards all carry to clear a creek and miss bunkers on both sides by the look of the overhead pic.  Since we are looking to take doubles off the card, using 3w off the tee and laying up with a 2nd shot to about 110 is how I would play it.

19 hours ago, dlow206 said:

He's right!  I've played with Derrick!  He's longer than me... but that's not saying much!  😂

I'm with @Shapotomous on strategy... except I'm hitting driver at the bunker!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

4 hours ago, Shapotomous said:

The other thing to look at is this is a par 5 and even if the drive clears the bunker the 2nd shot to the green is over 200 yards all carry to clear a creek and miss bunkers on both sides by the look of the overhead pic.  Since we are looking to take doubles off the card, using 3w off the tee and laying up with a 2nd shot to about 110 is how I would play it.

That is where my head is at. 

What's also not reflected well in the overhead view is the topography of the area around the green. Front and left side of the green is hilly. Too long is OB. I don't really see a scenario where I should ever go for it in 2. 

Updated 07/15/2022

22 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

What's also not reflected well in the overhead view is the topography of the area around the green. Front and left side of the green is hilly. Too long is OB. I don't really see a scenario where I should ever go for it in 2. 

With your desire to avoid fairway bunkers ; since they are effectively a penalty shot for you, and your lack of confidence in going for the green on your second shot your decision to play less club off the tee probably isn’t a bad one.   I don’t know the distance of the hole so,I don’t know what you second shot distance is.  I’m assuming it is a par 4 on the card so you should probably play as a par 5

59 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

I dont think you ever need to go for it.  There is a similar par 5 at our league course where i lay up between 90 and 110 all the time instead if trying to thread the needle with a 225 shot to the green.  I have birdied that hole a lot more times than bogey with that strategy.

Now during a scramble its a whole nuther story!!!  😁. My tee shot is an attempted 275 high fade over 60' trees dropping it in the fairway softly so it doesnt roll through into the trees on the far side.  Usually that fails. 🤔

49 minutes ago, cnosil said:

With your desire to avoid fairway bunkers ; since they are effectively a penalty shot for you, and your lack of confidence in going for the green on your second shot your decision to play less club off the tee probably isn’t a bad one.   I don’t know the distance of the hole so,I don’t know what you second shot distance is.  I’m assuming it is a par 4 on the card so you should probably play as a par 5

its a par 5

Updated 07/15/2022