Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Dlow206 does away with double bogeys

2 hours ago, RollingGreens said:

Have you been able to get to the course or to the range where you can see your complete shots? Just wondering if you are noticing more consistency with shots/distances with the improvements in your swing?

This is a good point.  While I can tell when I hit a good shot into my net and when I don't, actually seeing ball flight that goes along with those feelings of a well-struck shot is huge.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

3 hours ago, RollingGreens said:

Have you been able to get to the course or to the range where you can see your complete shots? Just wondering if you are noticing more consistency with shots/distances with the improvements in your swing?

42 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

This is a good point.  While I can tell when I hit a good shot into my net and when I don't, actually seeing ball flight that goes along with those feelings of a well-struck shot is huge.  

On course, I wouldn't say its more consistent, probably a little less consistent so far, because its different. For example, i hit two of the worst tops i have ever hit with an iron in a row during my last round, but I was also hitting those off of a massive sidehill lie. 

But i tend to be streaky anyway on course and i live and die by how well i can manipulate the club swing to swing on course. 

On the range, the shot shape is different than normal, first time i'm hitting actual push draws with irons. 

The arms late is what i think is hurting my consistency the most, but thats not a new issue. Its just different in the sense i am now coming from a more centered position than what i did in the past. 

i know it will get more consistent, needs a lot more work. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

Worked today on trying to speed up the arms. The challenge for me is if i just think "speed up arms", i just end up swinging harder/faster but everything is still out of sequence. So trying to use Cast A and Cast B from No Turn Cast to getting better arm sequencing. I'm not doing Cast B correctly yet, so that part needs work, but arms seem to be moving  a bit better, and my normal chicken wing is looking better. 

Updated 07/15/2022
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip

Had a very profound discovery today in terms of how I should feel the arms working in the downswing. I was struggling with speeding up the arms to get them in sequence, and I asked Monte a clarifying question about my arms being late in relationship to my hips and his answer wasn't what i thought it was going to be. He said the hips look fine my arms are moving away from the target to start the downswing.

That made me think about how to move the arms in the most efficient path to get the clubhead back to the ball. When I do this, I perceive that I am only moving my hands like 8 inches from the top of backswing to the ball.

Updated 07/15/2022

Continuing to work on the improved arm movement (sequencing). it produces a much better impact position. Monte likes the progress. 

5FFF46FD-4E25-477A-B573-2FE1A8DA7EFB.JPEG.00bf767b47d227a72ad5c1dcaa957abb.JPEG

Updated 07/15/2022

Swing changes are starting to show up with ball striking improvements out on the course. Shot a 45 on the front 9 today, which doesn't sound that good, but that included 4 pars and a birdie. Had a couple of blow up holes though, mostly due to some poor short game execution. Back 9 wasn't so good, but did make an important discovery. I started to hit some crooked irons on the back 9, including OBing a 9 iron with a giant pull. Was a bit perplexed because my swing didn't feel massively over the top to produce such a giant pull. Later on during the back 9, happened to pull out my gap wedge which is the one club that I am testing having a painted red groove on the bottom line for help with alignment. That red line helped me see that my clubface was lined up super closed. After that realization and paying closer attention to my clubface alignment, wasn't hitting those crooked pulls anymore. Need to paint the bottom grooves on the rest of my irons. 

Updated 07/15/2022

Made a slight setup change with Driver that is adding to improved consistency. Basically setup to the ball but only with my left hand gripping the club. Get situated with my stance and aim and everything. Then reach in with my right hand to grip the club. It improves my tilt without having to guess how much tilt to use. Hit almost every fairway today with good contact and good distance. Probably only one or two poor drives today, but they were still decent contact, just missed right. I'm ok with the right miss, just hate the 20 feet off the ground pull hook, thats the shot i hate the most. Didn't hit any of those. 

Updated 07/15/2022

• 2 weeks later...

Been continuing to work on arm sequencing but came to an important realization today. Was thinking about why do I always hit the ball off the toe? Feel like I have never hit the ball off the heel of the club in my life (that is an exaggeration, but its a rare spot for me to hit). Sometimes I hit the ball so far off the toe that its shank-like (i call it the toe shank). I thought about this and realized that the hands need to be farther out towards the ball at impact than at address (or maybe hands farther away from the body at address is a better description). If the hands aren't farther away than your body at address, than your arms get jammed up against your body and it is likely the ball will be hit off the toe. This describes me to the tee.

I watched some quick online resources to validate that this was correct. While this might seem obvious to everyone, it was never something that i even thought about or knew about, so I have been swinging with the wrong intent all along. 

Updated 07/15/2022

• 3 weeks later...

Monte said im making some good progress on my swing, and i am trying mentally to celebrate the improvements and not dwell on the imperfections (but still put in the work to make improvements). I have made improvements in sequencing, and also a bit less of a right shoulder drop in the early downswing. 

In my latest lesson from Monte, what he had identified was that I was sorting of just turning through the shot on the downswing and not making an athletic move, so i need to move a little more down and in, into the shot. 

Updated 07/15/2022

2 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Monte said im making some good progress on my swing, and i am trying mentally to celebrate the improvements and not dwell on the imperfections (but still put in the work to make improvements). I have made improvements in sequencing, and also a bit less of a right shoulder drop in the early downswing. 

In my latest lesson from Monte, what he had identified was that I was sorting of just turning through the shot on the downswing and not making an athletic move, so i need to move a little more down and in, into the shot. 

Like Monte's Instagram post a few days ago... Right Hip Back, Right Shoulder Out.

Looks good.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

18 hours ago, dlow206 said:

How often are you checking ball flight to complement the technique and net work at home? 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

18 hours ago, dlow206 said:

What kind of results are you seeing on the course thru the bag? Has your ball flight and/or dispersion improved?

We see lots of practice and a swing that visually hasn’t changed much over time which isn’t necessarily a bad thing as our swing is our swing and the changes just help get shaft in better positions, but we have seen much updating on how things go on the course 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

What kind of results are you seeing on the course thru the bag? Has your ball flight and/or dispersion improved?

We see lots of practice and a swing that visually hasn’t changed much over time which isn’t necessarily a bad thing as our swing is our swing and the changes just help get shaft in better positions, but we have seen much updating on how things go on the course 

Still working on ingraining some of the motor patterns. while they don't drastically look visually different, they do feel very different and its taking some timing to ingrain it. 

On the course, i've been hitting the ball more solidly in general, but definitely some of the old swing still comes out with the arms getting late. but by more solidly i mean better strikes and now im trying to figure out my distances with my irons. i've started carrying the ball over some greens, whereas i would normally be just on or short of the green with the same club on the same hole, with comparable conditions. 

scoring wise, i need to really work on my short game. i know about all of the stats about how the long game statistically has the most impact on scoring, but my short game really hurts me. i can easily be 20 yards off the green on my 3rd shot on a par 4 and end up with a 7. i did do a chipping lesson with monte recently, so i do know what i need to work on there, and i am making some gradual improvements. 

2 hours ago, BMart519 said:

How often are you checking ball flight to complement the technique and net work at home? 

i am at the range about once a week where i can see actual ball flight

Updated 07/15/2022

the other thing i forgot to mention. the course i play at is very hilly. you can easily end up in a lie where the ball is below the feet and its an uphill lie, and this is in the fairway. i need to get out on the course for more practice holes, for example just play like 5 holes and hit multiple shots in the early evening.

the ball below the feet scenario is one that tends to cause the big blow up holes that kill scores. with the ball below the feet, i have no idea where the ball is going to go. when i aim left of the target to account for the ball being below the feet, sometimes the ball goes even further left than where i aimed. if i am straight towards the target, then the ball sometimes comes out and goes dead right. or there is a hole on my course where this happens and hit a super thin/topped shot that goes into a small creek (the creek is so small that you should never hit the ball into it). 

Updated 07/15/2022

3 hours ago, dlow206 said:

the other thing i forgot to mention. the course i play at is very hilly. you can easily end up in a lie where the ball is below the feet and its an uphill lie, and this is in the fairway. i need to get out on the course for more practice holes, for example just play like 5 holes and hit multiple shots in the early evening.

the ball below the feet scenario is one that tends to cause the big blow up holes that kill scores. with the ball below the feet, i have no idea where the ball is going to go. when i aim left of the target to account for the ball being below the feet, sometimes the ball goes even further left than where i aimed. if i am straight towards the target, then the ball sometimes comes out and goes dead right. or there is a hole on my course where this happens and hit a super thin/topped shot that goes into a small creek (the creek is so small that you should never hit the ball into it). 

On course practice is the best kind.  It shouldn't be too difficult to set up your camera on your bag or cart to take video to send to Monte.  If you are like me, the swing on the course hitting on grass is different than the one into the net on a mat.  

The downhill and sidehill lies require changes to your setup, swing, and maybe club.  I believe Monte told me, or maybe I saw it in one of his videos, that when the ball is below your feet, some players will tend to hit the ball to the right and have to compensate by aiming left; however, other players will not.  He said that we need to determine which we are, and play that shot.  My course has a lot of undulations in the fairways and large grassy mounds off the fairways.  These lies are very common.  I have the same problem as you; it's difficult for me to maintain the proper knee bend through the swing to account for the ball being further away... so off the toe it goes.  

11 hours ago, Kenny B said:

On course practice is the best kind.  It shouldn't be too difficult to set up your camera on your bag or cart to take video to send to Monte.  If you are like me, the swing on the course hitting on grass is different than the one into the net on a mat.  

The downhill and sidehill lies require changes to your setup, swing, and maybe club.  I believe Monte told me, or maybe I saw it in one of his videos, that when the ball is below your feet, some players will tend to hit the ball to the right and have to compensate by aiming left; however, other players will not.  He said that we need to determine which we are, and play that shot.  My course has a lot of undulations in the fairways and large grassy mounds off the fairways.  These lies are very common.  I have the same problem as you; it's difficult for me to maintain the proper knee bend through the swing to account for the ball being further away... so off the toe it goes.  

He talks about these compensations/tendencies in his videos for hitting from various lies and based on what you normally do then setup that way.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

22 hours ago, Kenny B said:

11 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

He talks about these compensations/tendencies in his videos for hitting from various lies and based on what you normally do then setup that way.

i have watched his videos on different lies and tendencies and i tend to not have any tendency, i sometimes over compensate and sometimes do not. this is specific to the ball below the feet lie, its the one that hurts me the most. i think i just need to work more on these lies but practicing on the course with multiple balls. 

i have more clear tendencies on other types of lies. 

Updated 07/15/2022

• 4 weeks later...

Working on cleaning up some fundamental setup items that makes it hard for me to play consistent golf, regardless of swing changes. The positive is that i am gaining better awareness of these issues. Biggest one right now that i have gained better awareness is of ball position. I have been told by Monte for example, that my ball position with an 8/9 iron is too far back. In the past, when I perceive I have moved the ball forward, I have actually just moved my trail foot wider, so from a feet perspective the ball visually looks more forward to me, but in relation to my sternum is not really more forward or minimally more forward. I've learned for me that I need to think about it in relation to my sternum. I tried this at the range with an 8 iron and instead of most balls starting right, my ball flight straightened out. I took a picture of the ball position and sent it to Monte, and he said it was correct. It was shocking how far forward the ball position looks to me visually looking down, but its really not that far forward in relation to sternum.

also, trying to determine how working with Monte will work going forward. he sent out an announcement saying that he is going to start focusing more on his own golf game and trying to make it on the Champion's Tour. he said he will be continuing coaching, but i need to see how that works out in terms of his availability in the future. 

Updated 07/15/2022

12 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Working on cleaning up some fundamental setup items that makes it hard for me to play consistent golf, regardless of swing changes. The positive is that i am gaining better awareness of these issues. Biggest one right now that i have gained better awareness is of ball position. I have been told by Monte for example, that my ball position with an 8/9 iron is too far back. In the past, when I perceive I have moved the ball forward, I have actually just moved my trail foot wider, so from a feet perspective the ball visually looks more forward to me, but in relation to my sternum is not really more forward or minimally more forward. I've learned for me that I need to think about it in relation to my sternum. I tried this at the range with an 8 iron and instead of most balls starting right, my ball flight straightened out. I took a picture of the ball position and sent it to Monte, and he said it was correct. It was shocking how far forward the ball position looks to me visually looking down, but its really not that far forward in relation to sternum.

also, trying to determine how working with Monte will work going forward. he sent out an announcement saying that he is going to start focusing more on his own golf game and trying to make it on the Champion's Tour. he said he will be continuing coaching, but i need to see how that works out in terms of his availability in the future. 

You will see many instructors talk about driver off the lead ear or armpit. Irons off the plaquard of the shirt as center and for irons between there and and the logo. Other than referencing driver off the lead heel I don’t recall the last instructor I’ve seen reference ball position in relation to the feet.

Glad you are getting this straightened out with Monte. 

Setting alignment sticks up in a T will help keeping ball position consistent during practice. Most pros do this all the time. Iirc meandmygolf did a video for how to setup for driver, irons and wedges several years back

3 hours ago, dlow206 said:

In the past, when I perceive I have moved the ball forward, I have actually just moved my trail foot wider, so from a feet perspective the ball visually looks more forward to me, but in relation to my sternum is not really more forward or minimally more forward. I've learned for me that I need to think about it in relation to my sternum.

I'm glad you put this in here so I know I'm not the only one with this problem. I have a habitual problem moving my trail foot back right before swinging. The advice about the sternum is a good one. 

Keep grinding, Derrick, I'm hoping to hear some good things from you this year. 

4 hours ago, stephenmatt said:

How have the other aspects of your game been like the weight shift and inside takeaway? Are those things still an issue or have you nailed those down where you can move on to the next thing? I like the visual of ball position to sternum versus feet!

i tend to still get a bit inside on the takeaway but not bad enough to be a death move. The recentering is interesting, its partially what exposed my ball position issue for me. For a while, I couldn't figure out why shots were going right of where i aimed, and was occasionally hitting some topped shots that travel like 5 yards. Also, hitting lower trajectory mid and long irons. While ball position may not have been 100% the cause, it was definitely making it harder to hit the ball well.  

Updated 07/15/2022

Here’s the one video I remembered from meandmygolf

• 3 months later...

So have you cracked consistently in the 80s yet?

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

1 hour ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

So have you cracked consistently in the 80s yet?

Not yet, but i have some clear items i need to work on. Some things will take a while (i.e. swing changes), other things a bit more straight forward like aiming and aiming methodology (i have poor aim but now know how to aim better). 

Updated 07/15/2022

50 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Not yet, but i have some clear items i need to work on. Some things will take a while (i.e. swing changes), other things a bit more straight forward like aiming and aiming methodology (i have poor aim but now know how to aim better). 

Good to hear! We will have a race. 

https://tenor.com/view/mr-bean-race-gif-20267874

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

My Reviews:

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

12 hours ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

Good to hear! We will have a race. 

https://tenor.com/view/mr-bean-race-gif-20267874

FWIW... Derrick has nicer equipment.

1 minute ago, Kenny B said:

FWIW... Derrick has nicer equipment.

Well….. I have a pony! 😛  (Secretly builds a new bag with sub70 irons a new cally driver, a stealthy dhy, a ChipR (no lead tape though) and a 52 and 58 wedge). 

My Reviews:

Long story short, the thing I need to work on is getting rid of my inside takeaway. Anyone who has followed my thread has seen it, @Kenny B has seen the worst since he saw it in person. Since Monte's clinic this past weekend, have been working hard on it and know it will take a while to get rid of. 

Updated 07/15/2022