TESTERS WANTED! ×

Dlow206 does away with double bogeys

23 hours ago, dlow206 said:

This is the only additional hole i am considering not hitting driver off the tee. If i hit 3 wood, i can aim at the bunker on the left side, but my 3 wood doesn't go far enough to ever make it to that bunker. This also reduces the risk of hitting it in the trees on the right. The trees on the right is not on flat land, so a punch out is not an easy shot. There are also red stakes on that side if you hit it deep into the trees.

961922588_Hole3.png.5e126884c546bae15cc3f407242b698d.png

Pretty easy decision based on this hole and the tee shot considerations you laid out:
- right miss is the worse side, which is the problem with your Driver
- 200+ yard forced carry to green protected by sand (problem area) needs to be successful 80-90% to make sense long term if you are losing 1 shot in the water and close to 1 shot in the bunker. Not a good choice for 15+ index 
- the commitment to hitting less than driver hard with the whole fairway will produce better results vs a tentative driver swing into a pinching hazard 

Driver is my fade club, next club down is pulls or draws. Which side the big trouble is on is a major consideration on which club I pull along with fairway bunkers. I use Decade principals but it's not as simple as 60-70 yard between "hazards". Especially on tree lined courses where you are punching out from the trees most times. 

Practice some 60-100 wedges and you might get the occasional birdie. Par on the most difficult hole on the course is basically a birdie for any handicap golfer. Shot Scope shows your scoring average by club which can also inform these decisions, not sure what the other trackers do. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

23 minutes ago, BMart519 said:

Pretty easy decision based on this hole and the tee shot considerations you laid out:
- right miss is the worse side, which is the problem with your Driver
- 200+ yard forced carry to green protected by sand (problem area) needs to be successful 80-90% to make sense long term if you are losing 1 shot in the water and close to 1 shot in the bunker. Not a good choice for 15+ index 
- the commitment to hitting less than driver hard with the whole fairway will produce better results vs a tentative driver swing into a pinching hazard 

Driver is my fade club, next club down is pulls or draws. Which side the big trouble is on is a major consideration on which club I pull along with fairway bunkers. I use Decade principals but it's not as simple as 60-70 yard between "hazards". Especially on tree lined courses where you are punching out from the trees most times. 

Practice some 60-100 wedges and you might get the occasional birdie. Par on the most difficult hole on the course is basically a birdie for any handicap golfer. Shot Scope shows your scoring average by club which can also inform these decisions, not sure what the other trackers do. 

Makes sense.

And for clarification (but doesn't change my strategy for the hole), i hit from greenside bunkers fine, its fairway bunkers that cause me problems. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

1 hour ago, dlow206 said:

its a par 5

And it's the #1 handicap hole.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

19 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Makes sense.

And for clarification (but doesn't change my strategy for the hole), i hit from greenside bunkers fine, its fairway bunkers that cause me problems. 

What's your up and down percentage from greenside bunkers compared to your normal up and down percentage? 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0