TESTERS WANTED! ×

Dlow206 does away with double bogeys

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

Get some rest...  I hope you didn't visit anyone at the senior care facility in Kirkland.   😷

I did not haha, but the students that were exposed at that facility are a part of my wife's nursing program 😞. Luckily she was not one of the students.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

One thing I continue to struggle with that I need to work on is grip and wrist angles. What I learned today is that you can have a strong grip with an open face near impact. That never dawned on me as being possible. I believe this explains the snap hooks I have with my driver, that the face is coming down open and then a sudden move right before impact to close the face. What I am going to work on is neutral grip, flat left wrist at the top, and then a small amount of left wrist flexion to start the downswing. 

Updated 07/15/2022
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip

21 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

One thing I continue to struggle with that I need to work on is grip and wrist angles. What I learned today is that you can have a strong grip with an open face near impact. That never dawned on me as being possible. I believe this explains the snap hooks I have with my driver, that the face is coming down open and then a sudden move right before impact to close the face. What I am going to work on is neutral grip, flat left wrist at the top, and then a small amount of left wrist flexion to start the downswing. 

Before you waste a lot of time take a look at this article. 

https://mygolfspy.com/ball-flight-laws-mygolfspy/

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

1 hour ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Before you waste a lot of time take a look at this article. 

https://mygolfspy.com/ball-flight-laws-mygolfspy/

Thanks, I've read a similar article from Adam Young before. While playing around with grip and wrist angles, I have been experimenting to see how they affect path and clubface (not with data yet). I probably need to hit on the Trackman again. In the past, I had driver data that said often times i would swing 6 degrees in to out, but with a face that is less than 1 degree open, so very closed to path. 

I am one of the types of people that needs to feel and then understand what is the outcome from how something feels. 

Updated 07/15/2022

Avoid the swing technique videos and focus on what your instructor gives you in your lessons, you can only work on so many things at once. You will learn much quicker from an instructor and more importantly get some priority on which things to attack first. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

1 hour ago, BMart519 said:

Avoid the swing technique videos and focus on what your instructor gives you in your lessons, you can only work on so many things at once. You will learn much quicker from an instructor and more importantly get some priority on which things to attack first. 

I agree with that and have been working on the items the instructor has called out. However, my overly strong grip, at least for me, is giving me a low margin for error. I have been told in the past by a good instructor that it's going to be hard to play with how strong my grip is. So I am going back to that, and now I have a better understanding of what "too strong" means. In the past I always thought of it as how many knuckles on the left hand without even considering the right hand. And with the grip change ,its changing wrist angles, so I am better trying to understand how the proper wrist angles should feel now that I have a grip better suited for me. Without feeling the right feel over and over, I tend have trouble implementing the change.

Updated 07/15/2022

I posted about it in my testing thread, but I changed my grip to very strong left/neutral right and it totally changed my ability to hit a driver for the better. It really helps to mitigate the clubface coming down open with a late flip that causes snap hooks.

Updated 07/15/2022

Still have been struggling the last few times at the range with issues that I have had in the past. Changing some things, such as changing grips helped to mask a few issues, but not consistently. I am now getting back to some of the basics, proper setup, proper grip (no more exotic grip styles), proper takeaway, and proper backswing. What I had found during a past lesson was that if I get into the proper backswing position, then I can just swing and hit the ball well. 

Updated 07/15/2022

@dlow206, I just got caught up.. Your doing a great job.. My $.02  say you need to get out and play, that will give you a realistic idea of how you play. Work on things but get comfortable playing not just hitting the Range.. Do not get me wrong hitting the range is great, but you also need to hit off fairways, out of the rough, and off the tees.. ON the range you hit balls without a playing rhythm. On the course you hit a shot go to the ball. decide what to play, hit a shot.. on the range you hit 3-4 shots before you would hit your second on the course.. I have been to the range twice and played on a simulator 3 times since Xmas.. I want to hit the course... 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

22 minutes ago, Reesedw said:

@dlow206, I just got caught up.. Your doing a great job.. My $.02  say you need to get out and play, that will give you a realistic idea of how you play. Work on things but get comfortable playing not just hitting the Range.. Do not get me wrong hitting the range is great, but you also need to hit off fairways, out of the rough, and off the tees.. ON the range you hit balls without a playing rhythm. On the course you hit a shot go to the ball. decide what to play, hit a shot.. on the range you hit 3-4 shots before you would hit your second on the course.. I have been to the range twice and played on a simulator 3 times since Xmas.. I want to hit the course... 

For sure. Now that I am a member of a club, it is much easier for me to get out on the course. There is so much you get on the course that you can't got on the range, like different lies, etc. Played 18 yesterday in a record amount of time for me, 2.5 hours. Didn't really keep score very closely, was mainly focused on hitting different shots, hitting multiple balls at times, etc.

Updated 07/15/2022

@dlow206, how is the course? I've been waiting for things to defrost and dry out a bit.. Go figure it's been raining on the weekends but not during the week.  It's been so bad that at Echo Falls driving range if you hit anything in the air it just sticks and splats when it hits.. 

Dave-

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

2 hours ago, Reesedw said:

@dlow206, how is the course? I've been waiting for things to defrost and dry out a bit.. Go figure it's been raining on the weekends but not during the week.  It's been so bad that at Echo Falls driving range if you hit anything in the air it just sticks and splats when it hits.. 

60's and mostly sunny here for the next 10 days.  Finally some nice weather!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

2 hours ago, Reesedw said:

Course is in pretty good shape right now. Needs to dry out a bit more, but much much better than a few weeks ago. 

Updated 07/15/2022

12 hours ago, Kenny B said:

60's and mostly sunny here for the next 10 days.  Finally some nice weather!!

You are going to have a good month coming up.. Weather reports Warmer than usual April to may for us.. 

Dave-

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

11 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Course is in pretty good shape right now. Needs to dry out a bit more, but much much better than a few weeks ago. 

Everywhere needs to dry out.. lol..  Looks like I might get to play a little this weekend, we'll see how it goes.. 

Dave-

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Played 18 holes today. Front 9 was pretty rough, just couldn't hit the driver. On the back 9, I switched to the grip style that I had started to become comfortable with for the driver. Very strong left hand, take the club back closed and swing through, which makes it feel like it is square the whole time. That worked out well.

On the front 9, my irons were not super consistent either, struggled with hitting the ball low, which is a normal struggle for me. On the back 9, I was like what the hell, I'm going to try some things that I was reading from Brandel Chamblee, mainly lifting the left foot during the backswing. Something about the move was a complete game changer. It not only improve my backswing turn a bit, but the main benefit is that it just made the transition and downswing better sequenced, like night and day. After making this change, almost all my iron shots were a nice high trajectory with a small amount of fade. Started out ever so slightly left and faded back to the target line.

With the above approach, I shot 46 on the back 9, close to my best 9 hole score. I think I would have had a better score if it weren't for the aeration plugs around the outside of the greens. There was a pile of plugs in a ring formation around the greens. I hit some shots that bounced and normally would have rolled onto the green. Instead, the ball bounced into the pile and stopped dead in its tracks.

Updated 07/15/2022

Given everything in WA state is getting shutdown, my focus is going to shift toward golf related / general fitness. Going to focus on improving flexibility, strength, and hopefully lose 5 to 10 pounds or so.

In my garage, I have a bench, bowflex cardio machine, adjustable dumbbells, wall mounted hooks for adjustable bands, and an adjustable kettlebell. Sufficient equipment to workout without leaving the house. 

Updated 07/15/2022

1 hour ago, dlow206 said:

Given everything in WA state is getting shutdown, my focus is going to shift toward golf related / general fitness. Going to focus on improving flexibility, strength, and hopefully lose 5 to 10 pounds or so.

In my garage, I have a bench, bowflex cardio machine, adjustable dumbbells, wall mounted hooks for adjustable bands, and an adjustable kettlebell. Sufficient equipment to workout without leaving the house. 

If you are looking for a great program to follow see this thread. He is also doing at home workouts. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

52 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

If you are looking for a great program to follow see this thread. He is also doing at home workouts. 

I actually paid for Fit for Golf, so this is the program I was going to follow. Haven't decided if I want to do Offseason or Speed.

Updated 07/15/2022

2 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Depending on your strength levels - target 1.75x body weight for squat (1.5x min) and 2.25x body weight for deadlift (2x min), working on those moves should be your priority. (300lb deadlift and 200lb squat are other good interim targets) Mike from Fit for Golf references these on Twitter and elsewhere in his material. Getting really fast with low strength has much less upside if your max power/strength levels are limited. Vertical jumps and med ball throws are always good to build in for coordination, sequencing, and speed. But it doesn;t need to be the majority of a plan if strength level are significantly below what I mentioned above. Single leg squats and deadlifts, eventually incorporating the dumbbells, can help approach those weight levels when you start dividing by 2...

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

15 minutes ago, BMart519 said:

Depending on your strength levels - target 1.75x body weight for squat (1.5x min) and 2.25x body weight for deadlift (2x min), working on those moves should be your priority. (300lb deadlift and 200lb squat are other good interim targets) Mike from Fit for Golf references these on Twitter and elsewhere in his material. Getting really fast with low strength has much less upside if your max power/strength levels are limited. Vertical jumps and med ball throws are always good to build in for coordination, sequencing, and speed. But it doesn;t need to be the majority of a plan if strength level are significantly below what I mentioned above. Single leg squats and deadlifts, eventually incorporating the dumbbells, can help approach those weight levels when you start dividing by 2...

In the past, I always lifted for show (bodybuilding type workout) rather than strength focused. In my stronger days, I had a decent bench press, but my squat has always been crap and my deadlift was always just ok.

I am little hesitant to try to target 300lb deadlift and 200lb squat, but it does make sense for me to focus on improving those lifts. 

Updated 07/15/2022

21 hours ago, dlow206 said:

In the past, I always lifted for show (bodybuilding type workout) rather than strength focused. In my stronger days, I had a decent bench press, but my squat has always been crap and my deadlift was always just ok.

I am little hesitant to try to target 300lb deadlift and 200lb squat, but it does make sense for me to focus on improving those lifts. 

300/200 could be a 6 - 12 month target. I am 34 with a back that I would consider average at best. I did a lot of functional work and full body workouts in the past. I enjoy vertical jump and foot speed drills after playing soccer and basketball for years and use superspeed sticks occasionally at home plus an orange whip. Never played baseball, hockey, or any other rotational sports to develop good sequencing and rotary speed. In approx 3 months this year, I went from squatting 135 (5 sets of 5) to 195 and from 185 to 255 in deadlift (1-3 sets of 5). 2 days in the gym per week. Day 1 - squats, rows, bench press; Day 2 - more squats, deadlift and shoulder press. 

Select targets that make sense to you, a lot of people avoid squats and deadlifts in favour of the "showy" upper body muscles. Lots of statistics coming out nowadays, Scott Fawcett and Lou Sterner have put some averages out on Twitter as to how many strokes would be saved with a 20-30 yard gain off the tee. For a 90 shooter, I believe it was around 2 strokes per round. That is 2 stokes you can save without stepping foot on a golf course or picking up a club. This also drove home the importance of driver fitting for me, especially when I saw 10-20 yard gains at demo days over my gamer which got retired at the end of season. 

To make the 10-20 stoke improvements you are looking for, you need to hit all areas: strength/conditioning, equipment optimization/fitting, technique through lessons, lots of on course play, and training on course management. This is a summary of the approach I am using to close in on single digits. 

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

9 minutes ago, BMart519 said:

300/200 could be a 6 - 12 month target. I am 34 with a back that I would consider average at best. I did a lot of functional work and full body workouts in the past. I enjoy vertical jump and foot speed drills after playing soccer and basketball for years and use superspeed sticks occasionally at home plus an orange whip. Never played baseball, hockey, or any other rotational sports to develop good sequencing and rotary speed. In approx 3 months this year, I went from squatting 135 (5 sets of 5) to 195 and from 185 to 255 in deadlift (1-3 sets of 5). 2 days in the gym per week. Day 1 - squats, rows, bench press; Day 2 - more squats, deadlift and shoulder press. 

Select targets that make sense to you, a lot of people avoid squats and deadlifts in favour of the "showy" upper body muscles. Lots of statistics coming out nowadays, Scott Fawcett and Lou Sterner have put some averages out on Twitter as to how many strokes would be saved with a 20-30 yard gain off the tee. For a 90 shooter, I believe it was around 2 strokes per round. That is 2 stokes you can save without stepping foot on a golf course or picking up a club. This also drove home the importance of driver fitting for me, especially when I saw 10-20 yard gains at demo days over my gamer which got retired at the end of season. 

To make the 10-20 stoke improvements you are looking for, you need to hit all areas: strength/conditioning, equipment optimization/fitting, technique through lessons, lots of on course play, and training on course management. This is a summary of the approach I am using to close in on single digits. 

Thanks, that is helpful. One challenge I have is that my dumbbells in my garage only go up to 75lbs a piece, which is decent, but not heavy enough for deadlifts. For now, will have to make due with the equipment i have.

Updated 07/15/2022

3 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Thanks, that is helpful. One challenge I have is that my dumbbells in my garage only go up to 75lbs a piece, which is decent, but not heavy enough for deadlifts. For now, will have to make due with the equipment i have.

Split leg squats, single leg deadlifts 😉 I'll be doing the same thing with 50lb dumbbells. 

Body weight squats with focus on getting below parallel to increase hip mobility. 

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2020 at 1:49 PM, BMart519 said:

Split leg squats, single leg deadlifts 😉 I'll be doing the same thing with 50lb dumbbells. 

Body weight squats with focus on getting below parallel to increase hip mobility. 

Did split leg squats yesterday with the backfoot on a bench, wow that was much harder than expected, need to work on those.

Updated 07/15/2022

Since everything is closed down here, not really much practicing I can do. One thing I have noticed based on video swings before the shut down was that my old habits are creeping back in of getting real steep again in transition. At one point, after taking one lesson with Monte Scheinblum, I was able to groove a much better swing, but I have started to lose the feel and get steep again.

For me to be able to effectively implement something, I need to have one or two specific feels that I can focus on. The "shallow" the shaft thoughts/feels haven't worked super well for me. I came across the video below, and it's a really interesting way to think about getting more shallow without actively trying to manipulate the shaft to be more shallow. I like how Mike Malaska explains things.

Updated 07/15/2022

I came across something random but important today. On a video, it emphasized to double check where the clubface lines up with the ball at setup, because your eyes can trick you. Sure enough, when I look at my driver and think that the line on the driver is lined up with the middle of the ball, it is not if i look from face on, it is actually more toward the toe. That puts me in a bad starting position and probably makes my tendency to hit off the toe even worse.

Updated 07/15/2022

I came across something random but important today. On a video, it emphasized to double check where the clubface lines up with the ball at setup, because your eyes can trick you. Sure enough, when I look at my driver and think that the line on the driver is lined up with the middle of the ball, it is not if i look from face on, it is actually more toward the toe. That puts me in a bad starting position and probably makes my tendency to hit off the toe even worse.

That's very interesting - never heard that before so will have to give it a go.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

1 minute ago, tony@CIC said:

That's very interesting - never heard that before so will have to give it a go.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Yeah, it's interesting. This was from AMG golf. Even Shaun, one of the instructors on the video, tends to line it up towards the heel if he is not focused on the setup, because his eyes are seeing it as centered when it is not. 

Updated 07/15/2022

On 4/15/2020 at 6:55 PM, dlow206 said:

Not random at all!  High performers in all arenas know that details matter.  We would all be better if we better identified what was important and fixated on it. Most players are horribly random or focused on incorrect details.