TESTERS WANTED! ×

Dlow206 does away with double bogeys

2 hours ago, edteergolf said:

Not random at all!  High performers in all arenas know that details matter.  We would all be better if we better identified what was important and fixated on it. Most players are horribly random or focused on incorrect details. 

I had never even given thought to the fact that my eyes could be tricking me, that what I see as centered with the alignment line on the top of my driver is not actually centered. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

I had never even given thought to the fact that my eyes could be tricking me, that what I see as centered with the alignment line on the top of my driver is not actually centered. 

Parallax error. Same reason that when putting the line on the ball that looks right when you are behind the ball but wrong when you take your stance.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

10 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

It affects ball position, ball/face with all clubs including the putter, and how you set the face up at address.  Most, if not all, players start with the face closed.  Our eyes seem to like straight lines as in connect the dots versus an actual straight line.  Most players connect dots from the hosel to the toe of the club at the leading edge.  Place your golf club against a flat wall or base board.  More than likely you will see a gap.  Now, make the leading edge square to the wall.  Once you are done, pull the club away and it more than likely appear open.  This is a real problem if you hit a push draw but set up with a closed face to the target line.  

59 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Parallax error. Same reason that when putting the line on the ball that looks right when you are behind the ball but wrong when you take your stance.

57 minutes ago, edteergolf said:

It affects ball position, ball/face with all clubs including the putter, and how you set the face up at address.  Most, if not all, players start with the face closed.  Our eyes seem to like straight lines as in connect the dots versus an actual straight line.  Most players connect dots from the hosel to the toe of the club at the leading edge.  Place your golf club against a flat wall or base board.  More than likely you will see a gap.  Now, make the leading edge square to the wall.  Once you are done, pull the club away and it more than likely appear open.  This is a real problem if you hit a push draw but set up with a closed face to the target line.  

These explanations make sense. This is important awareness that I didn't have previously. I need to focus on what does it "look like" when the club is actually lined up properly, and then repeat that. I cannot rely on what my eyes think is proper, or I need to reteach myself what is proper.

Updated 07/15/2022
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip

With everything shutdown still, I bought a practice net for my backyard, so I can now go out and practice any time. Will be recording my swings periodically to make sure I am implementing the right changes. Focus will be on making solid contact and hitting balls in the center of the clubface. I have some impact tape that I can use. I also need to make sure I practice with a purpose and not just beat balls.

Updated 07/15/2022

With all that is going on with Covid-19, Monte Scheinblum, one of the instructors I follow online and have taken an in-person lesson with, is offering a new online improvement plan. It is meant to supplement the online lessons and offer the ability to check-in on whether I am implementing my swing changes correctly, ask questions, etc.

Based on feedback I just received, my main issues are flat hip turn and hips/pelvis moving toward the ball in the backswing. This issue is then causing my problems with being steep in the downswing, etc. Going to work real hard on fixing this.

Updated 07/15/2022

Have been working on the hip issues and making some decent progress.

Had an ah-ha moment today. Yesterday, was watching some Monte Scheinblum videos, and one was about separating the arms from the chin in transition and downswing. This turned out to be a complete game changer for me. After making that change, everything was flush city in my backyard net. Although I couldn't see the ball flight, I know i was flushing it. Contact felt excellent, the height in which it hit the net was good, the ball started out ever slow slightly right of center (where it hit the net), etc. 

Updated 07/15/2022

On 4/8/2020 at 3:06 PM, dlow206 said:

Since everything is closed down here, not really much practicing I can do. One thing I have noticed based on video swings before the shut down was that my old habits are creeping back in of getting real steep again in transition. At one point, after taking one lesson with Monte Scheinblum, I was able to groove a much better swing, but I have started to lose the feel and get steep again.

For me to be able to effectively implement something, I need to have one or two specific feels that I can focus on. The "shallow" the shaft thoughts/feels haven't worked super well for me. I came across the video below, and it's a really interesting way to think about getting more shallow without actively trying to manipulate the shaft to be more shallow. I like how Mike Malaska explains things.

Good vid; and interestingly it parallels something that Monte actually teaches .. what he calls "drift forward" in transition .. like Malaska said instead of rotating the hips think of moving them straight towards the target.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Was working on the swing again and continue having trouble with getting steep. So I emailed Monte to get some advice. The advice he gave was if directly behind the ball is 6 o'clock, I should be swinging on a path that is going through 8 o'clock. Here are my before and afters both today. The basketball in the second video is positioned roughly at 8 o'clock. The swing path feels like it is so far right that I am going to hit a huge push, put what I feel is much different than what is actually happening.

Before

After

Updated 07/15/2022

First day back out on the course in a few months. Was very rusty, backswing issues with my driver were causing snap hooks, it was rough. I know it is a backswing issue, because I tried this drill while out on the course from Monte Scheinblum where you do a couple of movements to set the backswing in the proper place, and then swing from there. I used the "drill" for a few holes where I set the backswing, paused, and then swung. Using that approach led to good shots off the tee. Need to work through my backswing.

Updated 07/15/2022

Love reading your updates. Keep them coming! 

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

Right now, trying to figure out how to get back that swing in post 2 that i had after a lesson a while back. It is completely gone and I am just back to being super steep.

Updated 07/15/2022

My goal this year was to break 90 and the second round I played this year I shot 88. I was so happy couldn't believe it, I found out with my swing that if I open my stand up a little i hit it straight so i just start practicing that to get more comfortable. The round I shot 88 I hit 7/13 fairways ( Arccos data) That is really good for me I usually hit only around/under 35% of fairways. But even with the ones I missed the fairway I was only on the first cut of the rough so still a pretty good shot. These updates are great and good luck with your swing. 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

Just my opinion, but it would be hard to be very shallow with the amount of rear shoulder internal rotation you display.  This seems to force you to lean back making it difficult to get to the ball or to get any pressure back to the lead side.   Difficult to control the golf ball this way.  Steep(not over) may not be wrong for you.  

15 minutes ago, edteergolf said:

Just my opinion, but it would be hard to be very shallow with the amount of rear shoulder internal rotation you display.  This seems to force you to lean back making it difficult to get to the ball or to get any pressure back to the lead side.   Difficult to control the golf ball this way.  Steep(not over) may not be wrong for you.  

I see, thanks for pointing that out. My attempts to make shallowing moves, while I can pull it off for one or two shots here and there, ultimately don't work well for me. Makes sense on the shoulder rotation issue.

Updated 07/15/2022

54 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

I see, thanks for pointing that out. My attempts to make shallowing moves, while I can pull it off for one or two shots here and there, ultimately don't work well for me. Makes sense on the shoulder rotation issue.

Your shoulder is internal from setup so the shaft may not ever look shallow and pulling the club in and then swinging out only makes solid strikes and controlled ball flight more difficult.  You don't want over the top, but its probable that you should look like you are swing left.  Yes, it can look like its going left and still not hit pulled shots. 

12 minutes ago, edteergolf said:

Your shoulder is internal from setup so the shaft may not ever look shallow and pulling the club in and then swinging out only makes solid strikes and controlled ball flight more difficult.  You don't want over the top, but its probable that you should look like you are swing left.  Yes, it can look like its going left and still not hit pulled shots. 

Thanks, one thing I am working on right now is getting to a better release position (P8-ish). No matter what swing or swing changes I try, my release position and finish is sort of weird, it is way left and my arms fold in narrowly (don't know if that description makes sense). I've been practicing the intent to get to a better release position and it seems to be helping ball contact. 

Trying to get to a more playable swing with less fat shots. Sometimes I get way to steep to the point of take ridiculously huge divots, almost like i am smashing the ground instead of hitting the ball.

Updated 07/15/2022

4 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Thanks, one thing I am working on right now is getting to a better release position (P8-ish). No matter what swing or swing changes I try, my release position and finish is sort of weird, it is way left and my arms fold in narrowly (don't know if that description makes sense). I've been practicing the intent to get to a better release position and it seems to be helping ball contact. 

Trying to get to a more playable swing with less fat shots. Sometimes I get way to steep to the point of take ridiculously huge divots, almost like i am smashing the ground instead of hitting the ball.

The back swing rotation is massive and makes it very difficult to release/rotate so when the hips can't move/open then the arms and club release is going to look off.  Ultimately, it is post impact and doesn't really matter.  Without being able to make it back to and past the ball you have a tendency to move the low point behind the ball which requires your attempt to be steep to get back to the ball.  This is an example of each step out of position is causing the next step to be out of position leaving you very few if any viable ways of successfully striking the ball. 

13 minutes ago, edteergolf said:

The back swing rotation is massive and makes it very difficult to release/rotate so when the hips can't move/open then the arms and club release is going to look off.  Ultimately, it is post impact and doesn't really matter.  Without being able to make it back to and past the ball you have a tendency to move the low point behind the ball which requires your attempt to be steep to get back to the ball.  This is an example of each step out of position is causing the next step to be out of position leaving you very few if any viable ways of successfully striking the ball. 

Thanks, this is what I meant by getting to a better release position. Having that swing intent helped improve my pre-impact portion of the swing. It was also a much easier swing for me to make than the "After" swing from 5/3. The after swing on 5/3 i felt like I was coming way from the inside. 

Updated 07/15/2022

I’ve learned that you should never trust an a-ha moment, especially when its based on watching an online tip. However, check out my swing today. You will never guess how simple but fundamental the change was.

https://youtu.be/ztlnSJjPSrk

Updated 07/15/2022

Not sure why my last post didn't embed the video

Updated 07/15/2022

5 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Not sure why my last post didn't embed the video

IMO - it is pretty tough to evaluate with random camera angles.  My preference is rear elbow high on the hand line for down the line and elbow high center of you body for face on videos.  

2 hours ago, edteergolf said:

IMO - it is pretty tough to evaluate with random camera angles.  My preference is rear elbow high on the hand line for down the line and elbow high center of you body for face on videos.  

Yeah, I haven't been taking consistent video angles. Been moving around because I have been destroying grass in the backyard.

Anyway, I learned today that I wasn't holding the grip in my left hand correctly. I had a longstanding misunderstanding of where in my fingers to hold the grip in my left hand. The way I was holding the club in my left hand caused my left wrist to be super cupped at setup. And the looking at number of knuckles on the left hand was misleading because of how I was holding the club.

Correcting the left hand issue made everything quite a bit better.

Updated 07/15/2022

Currently working on a few things:

• Ensuring I am putting my hands on the grip correctly. I found a good approach to ensure that I am putting my hands on the grip consistently. If I don't focus on the grip, then how I grip the club gets inconsistent
  • Ensuring my backswing, especially takeaway is on plane. Sometimes I start taking it too inside. If I take it too inside and then get to a cupped wrist position at the top, i'm dead, especially with the driver

Updated 07/15/2022

The other thing that i have learned while having too little time on the course and too much time at home is that there are a lot of fundamentals that I never learned (or forgot) when I learned to play golf. Things like how you put the club in your hand, where your right arm points, etc. Besides what I mentioned above with my grip issue, I also found an issue with where my right arm is pointed. I previously had a very strong right handed grip, and with that, my right elbow properly pointed toward my hip. When I weakened it, my right arm started to turn with it in a counterclockwise direction at setup, which sort of preset my right shoulder in internal rotation. I am learning a lot about how different factors impact the swing, and in the long run, this will help a lot.

Updated 07/15/2022

2 hours ago, dlow206 said:

The other thing that i have learned while having too little time on the course and too much time at home is that there are a lot of fundamentals that I never learned (or forgot) when I learned to play golf. Things like how you put the club in your hand, where your right arm points, etc. Besides what I mentioned above with my grip issue, I also found an issue with where my right arm is pointed. I previously had a very strong right handed grip, and with that, my right elbow properly pointed toward my hip. When I weakened it, my right arm started to turn with it in a counterclockwise direction at setup, which sort of preset my right shoulder in internal rotation. I am learning a lot about how different factors impact the swing, and in the long run, this will help a lot.

It will also affect your release and an internal shoulder would be consistent with a weakened right hand grip.  That could be good if you have a more cover/roll release.  Not so much if you have a disposition for a throw or under release.   A lot of millionaires with both patterns. 

Played yesterday, didn't keep score, just focused on trying to hit good shots. Had ups and downs, and showed glimpses of being able to play pretty good golf, followed by the struggles of a high handicapper. Started the round with too many OB shots off the tee, but that settled down after a few holes. The main place I lose strokes is hitting fat short iron shots, like the fat ones you intend to go 100 yards but they only go 20. Every time I thought about not hitting it fat, I would it hit it super fat.

Going to keep working on the fundamentals. Setup, grip, etc. I realized that I have terrible posture at setup. When I first learned to play golf at age 9, I played with full size adult clubs, so I had to stand very upright. I still stand that way, but with terrible posture.

Updated 07/15/2022

Over the weekend, I learned that there should be some left arm rotation in the swing between the takeaway and left arm parallel. I definitely wasn't doing that previously. If I make that move decently, then i don't feel like i need to make any sort of artificial move to shallow.

Updated 07/15/2022

Played today, had some glimpses of hope. Still shot in the 100s but had some pars. I am confident if I can reduce these two things, I can break a 100 without too much problem:

• Two way miss off the tee (many times OB) - So the weird issue I have is with irons, I often times revert back to the high handicapper over the top swing, but my driver swing is like a completely different swing. I swing my driver from the inside as validated by Trackman and validated by my misses. My misses are either the dreaded weak snap hook or an OB push fade. I think what happens is that my driver swing is coming from the inside but way too open. Then I either flip at the last minute to save it and snap hook, or I hold it off and push fade way right. These misses either result in OB, or a really weak snap hook that doesn't go forward very far.
  • Second issue is fat shots. I waste too many shots on fat mid to short irons. I almost wish I would miss thin, because at least the thin shot goes forward a good distance. My issue is head and body movement, way too up and down. When I try to keep my head more level, it still probably moves some but the result is much better

After my round today, I tried an experiment. I setup with my driver face closed, and body aimed a bit left. At the start of the downswing, I have the intent of swinging as left as possible and trying to close the face as much as possible. The result was a nice power fade. The miss with this tended to be straight or a small straight draw. The big miss with this was a high straight shot. I think this power fade intent may be what I should focus on going forward for my tee shot. In my time playing golf, I never have been a slicer, I don't think I could hit a slice if my life depended on it. So I am not worried about this shot turning into a week slice.

Updated 07/15/2022