Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Dlow206 does away with double bogeys

4 minutes ago, BMart519 said:

I'm sure you're familiar with wedge matrixes and knowing carry distances for full, 3/4 and half swing wedges for approach play. Carry vs roll is just as important from 30 and in (maybe even 50 yards) where you are not generating much spin unless playing a full lob or a specialized low spinner.

After you blade a 60 yard LW over the green and leave yourself another flop from 30 yards over the back (or fat it and leave it short), a 30 yard chip with a GW (or 20 yard 9i) starts looking like a good option.

I definitely have a lot of work to do in terms of my approach to 100 yards and in. If i am speaking honestly, with my wedges i have a full and a "partial" swing. The only reason the "partial" swing works is because of adjusting the speed of the swing. I bet if i look at that "partial" swing on film, it is exactly the same length even if there is a 20 yard difference in the shot. 

Once my club truly opens back up the practice facility, i am going to spend a lot more time on short game. The practice facility right now is only open for pre-round warm-up due to covid, and you are only supposed to be there for up to 25 minutes before your tee time.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

1 minute ago, dlow206 said:

I definitely have a lot of work to do in terms of my approach to 100 yards and in. If i am speaking honestly, with my wedges i have a full and a "partial" swing. The only reason the "partial" swing works is because of adjusting the speed of the swing. I bet if i look at that "partial" swing on film, it is exactly the same length even if there is a 20 yard difference in the shot. 

Once my club truly opens back up the practice facility, i am going to spend a lot more time on short game. The practice facility right now is only open for pre-round warm-up due to covid, and you are only supposed to be there for up to 25 minutes before your tee time.

5 and 10 yard chips is something you can do in your yard most likely or a nearby park. (You're not likely to get a ticket dinking around with some little chips, hitting 100 yard wedges is a different story) I drag my hitting mat out of the garage and have the benefit of hitting 10,20, and 30 yard carry shots in my back yard (used to hit across the road into a park at old house). You can drill the feel through random and block practice at a range or park, then confirm rollout on a green. This also gives you reps to identify your bias - I pull all chips 1-2 yards depending on distance. 

Having my stance less open has helped with this, but 1 yard offline on a 10 yard shot is enough to make that up and down for par much more difficult. But I still default to aiming 1 yard right of the flag. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

They say equipment doesn't fix a bad swing, which I would agree with. But based on my Titleist TSi fitting, I learned that the wrong fitting equipment can make a bad swing result in a much worse result than the proper fit equipment. The details are in the TSi testing thread, but man, was the TSi 2 a much better fit for me than the SIM Max. Of course I had some non-optimal shots with the TSi 2 during the fitting, but no OB balls, everything would have been a playable, acceptable shot. My baseline during the fitting with my SIM Max gamer was about 10 push slices in a row, off the planet.

I was surprised that my best fit was a low-mid launch, low spin shaft, the GD XC-6 shaft. I already launch too low at times due to negative AOA, but with the GD XC-6, I actually started to launch higher, which was a suprising result.

Updated 07/15/2022
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip

I also have a tendency to slow down coming into the ball on short shots. What I've been trying to incorporate into my progressed is to imagine myself striking a match with the club being the match and the ground being the strike pad. I'll take a couple of practice swings listening to contact with the ground and trying to hear a good swish when I contact the ground.

Those shots around the green can be nerve wracking, there are a lot of negative thoughts that can get into your head. Good luck to you!

7 hours ago, dlow206 said:

They say equipment doesn't fix a bad swing, which I would agree with. But based on my Titleist TSi fitting, I learned that the wrong fitting equipment can make a bad swing result in a much worse result than the proper fit equipment. The details are in the TSi testing thread, but man, was the TSi 2 a much better fit for me than the SIM Max. Of course I had some non-optimal shots with the TSi 2 during the fitting, but no OB balls, everything would have been a playable, acceptable shot. My baseline during the fitting with my SIM Max gamer was about 10 push slices in a row, off the planet.

I was surprised that my best fit was a low-mid launch, low spin shaft, the GD XC-6 shaft. I already launch too low at times due to negative AOA, but with the GD XC-6, I actually started to launch higher, which was a suprising result.

With the negative AOA were you hitting low on the face? I had the same issue I found out at my last fitting but had a balloon ball high off the face. Have since (I believe need to hit the fitter again and see) evened out my AOA I think but funny we had very opposite balls flights (was -5* AOA last November)

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

1 hour ago, Lacassem said:

With the negative AOA were you hitting low on the face? I had the same issue I found out at my last fitting but had a balloon ball high off the face. Have since (I believe need to hit the fitter again and see) evened out my AOA I think but funny we had very opposite balls flights (was -5* AOA last November)

I am negative AOA but almost always mid-high to high on the face. I was around -5* on the trackman during the fitting, sometimes -2*. I think -2* to -3* is more in my normal range. The range tee was uncomfortably low during the fitting. I asked for another one, but they said they didn't have taller tees. My first couple of warm-up shots I topped the ball due to the tee height.

Updated 07/15/2022

I also have a tendency to slow down coming into the ball on short shots. What I've been trying to incorporate into my progressed is to imagine myself striking a match with the club being the match and the ground being the strike pad. I'll take a couple of practice swings listening to contact with the ground and trying to hear a good swish when I contact the ground.
Those shots around the green can be nerve wracking, there are a lot of negative thoughts that can get into your head. Good luck to you!

Good point, “Deceleration” is a killer. Some times creeps into my chipping from off the green (like u mentioned) and occasionally in bunker.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Just found that my club put out a video that shows the course. If anyone is curious where i play

Updated 07/15/2022

16 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Just found that my club put out a video that shows the course. If anyone is curious where i play

Nice course!

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

[/url]  

Water & trees and all that fun stuff, nice track!

Rick

Left Hand, 

13 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Water & trees and all that fun stuff, nice track!

Trees and narrow fairways are the real challenge. The water in the video is all various angles of hole number 9. With any reasonable shot, water shouldn't be trouble. With that said, I have hit a few recently into the water on that hole.

Updated 07/15/2022

Good news, I am going to start taking lessons again. This time, I am going to be taking lessons with the head pro from my club. Really need to get rid of this wipey fade swing.

Updated 07/15/2022

Trees and narrow fairways are the real challenge. The water in the video is all various angles of hole number 9. With any reasonable shot, water shouldn't be trouble. With that said, I have hit a few recently into the water on that hole.

Actually I like that type of course, most of the time they don’t like me

Rick

Left Hand, 

59 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Actually I like that type of course, most of the time they don’t like meemoji106.png

I hate trees! Whoever said they are 60% air is lying.

Love the course video!

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

I hate trees! Whoever said they are 60% air is lying.
Love the course video!

Definitely Fake News and I heard 40% still a “crock”.
I started playing on courses like dlow’s and miss them.

Rick

Left Hand, 

For the last couple of rounds, I have increased my tempo a bit with my irons. Make a quicker backswing and then swing through. Prior to that, I had a slow backswing. With the faster tempo, very few big misses, very few fat shots, very few thin shots, etc. Ball goes higher and farther as well with this swing. I think it helps my sequencing and doesn't give me time to overthink the downswing.

Updated 07/15/2022

On 10/24/2020 at 11:46 AM, Rickp said:

Good point, “Deceleration” is a killer. Some times creeps into my chipping from off the green (like u mentioned) and occasionally in bunker.

That is one of the most frustrating parts of my game.  Suppose to have a wedge fitting this week, will be interesting as I have not done that before.

Driver Taylor Made M4

Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal

Mizuno ES 21 Wedges

Taylor Made TP Collection Putter

May have to borrow some tips from your process to help me through mine. Good luck! How has the grip change been working for you on getting away from fat shots? I too have a strong left and realized my right hand is weak with the thumb on top. 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

25 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

May have to borrow some tips from your process to help me through mine. Good luck! How has the grip change been working for you on getting away from fat shots? I too have a strong left and realized my right hand is weak with the thumb on top. 

There has been a lot of trial and error, but neutral right hand has helped a lot. Thumb directly on top of the grip would be considered a strong right hand.

Updated 07/15/2022

10 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

There has been a lot of trial and error, but neutral right hand has helped a lot. Thumb directly on top of the grip would be considered a strong right hand.

ok thanks for the correction. Will stick with the neutral right hand to see how that helps. 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

My Reviews:

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

I've now recognized what happens in my swing when I am hitting my irons well:

• Backswing is quicker. Its not that quick compared to others, but much quicker than my slow backswing
  • My wrist cups a bit at the top, but the clubface is fairly neutral with the cupped wrist, not super open
  • When I feel that cupped wrist at the top that is my automatic signal to start the downswing
  • My wrist immediately goes from cupped to uncupped in transition

I think I have gotten into this whole notion about cupped wrist at the top being bad, but everytime i try to not cup, my swing gets worse and worse. Going to talk to my new instructor about it and see what he thinks this week. I think why it works well is that I go from cupped to uncupped in transition. 

Updated 07/15/2022

2 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

ok thanks for the correction. Will stick with the neutral right hand to see how that helps. 

What is your ballflight currently like?

Updated 07/15/2022

Just now, dlow206 said:

What is your ballflight currently like?

I have a high pull draw when i feel like I strike the ball well. Mostly, I am battling fat/chunks and inconsistent contact off the tee.

My Reviews:

I too have a strong left and realized my right hand is weak with the thumb on top. 

Thumb directly on top of the grip would be considered a strong right hand.

I would recommend not using the thumb as a reference for strong/weak right hand grip. Using the V formed by the thumb and index finger is probably a better reference. For a right handed golfer the farther left the V points the weaker the right hand. Or if you are seeing the back of the hand it is weak and if you are seeing the palm of your right hand it is strong. If you really want to use thumb I would say weak Is on left side of grip, neutral is on top, and strong would be on right side.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

25 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I would recommend not using the thumb as a reference for strong/weak right hand grip. Using the V formed by the thumb and index finger is probably a better reference. For a right handed golfer the farther left the V points the weaker the right hand. Or if you are seeing the back of the hand it is weak and if you are seeing the palm of your right hand it is strong. If you really want to use thumb I would say weak Is on left side of grip, neutral is on top, and strong would be on right side.

I see what you mean. In the past, my strong right hand I was holding it where i saw the palm, but thumb directly on top of the grip.

Updated 07/15/2022

I had a life changing lesson today. It was my first lesson at my club with the head pro. He first asked me about some of the issues I am having, which is mainly missing right with every club. Straight right with short irons, push slice with driver. He watched my hit a few shots and that miss right with my 9 iron was what showed up for the day (which is good, it shows him what the problematic swing is). He then told me to pick a target out on the range, and then i hit about 5 more balls.

After that came the life changing conclusion. He said that my body is aimed way right of the target. He said that the balls that I am hitting right are basically go straight where my body is lined up. He then put an alignment stick down and when I looked at the alignment stick, i was like wow, that looks so far left of the target, but he said it is lined up towards the target and to trust it. After that, I started to hit my irons much more online towards the target.

There are still some things he mentioned that I could work on, mostly around neutralizing my path a bit. My path is a bit too far left, but he said my "good" left swing is still playable and I can play that swing if I want. He didn't push me towards trying to hit a draw, but had me focus on neutralizing my path a bit by trying to swing more down the target line. He said neutralizing my path a bit will reduce the size of my misses.

But overall, the main takeaway was where my body was aimed and he said focusing on that will improve things dramatically, which it did on the range. I feel good that the major thing to focus on is alignment, because in my mind, that is easier to change than making a swing change. Of course I still need to work on my swing, but aligning correctly will make golf much less difficult.

Updated 07/15/2022

Play today, first round after my lesson that I had recently. Was working on improving my alignment of my body based on the lesson. When I trusted the alignment, was hitting my irons well and online, small fade. When I didn't trust my alignment, hit the ball right, which has been my issue as of late. It will take some time before my brain can trust that my body is in fact aligned correctly, when it feels like it is aligned super left.

Updated 07/15/2022

Nice work. Alignment is so key. One of my playing partners today asked several times if he was aligned ok, I asked where he was aimed, and then told him you are too far right. Getting alignment right is half the battle. If you aim poor how are you supposed to hit your target. Keep up the good work! Let’s teach each other!

My Reviews:

I also have this issue, when I am struggling with this I will stand behind the ball align the club to my target and then take my positioning from there. It is one of those things that is frustrating when you realize it given it takes no real skill to do it and can mess up a really well struck shot.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3