TESTERS WANTED! ×

Dlow206 does away with double bogeys

11 minutes ago, Chip Strokes said:

my cobra 2i is set at 17.5* and carries around 270 

I hit a driver 270....once.

Great videos and the swing is looking great!

@dlow206 it's good to hear you found out a better angle to film at, it's a great way to chronicle and diagnose your swing, and yours is looking much better. 

1 minute ago, sirchunksalot said:

I hit a driver 270....once.

Great videos and the swing is looking great!

@dlow206 it's good to hear you found out a better angle to film at, it's a great way to chronicle and diagnose your swing, and yours is looking much better. 

Yeah, it was mentioned to me that camera angle can change how things look, which of course makes sense. So I researched about how exactly I should setup the camera, so that helped.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

1 minute ago, dlow206 said:

Yeah, it was mentioned to me that camera angle can change how things look, which of course makes sense. So I researched about how exactly I should setup the camera, so that helped.

Isn't it something like around hand high? I might be wrong about that, but that's what popped into my groggy brain. I haven't perfected it yet. 

1 minute ago, sirchunksalot said:

Isn't it something like around hand high? I might be wrong about that, but that's what popped into my groggy brain. I haven't perfected it yet. 

Yeah, hand/waist high, pointed around the center of your handline. 

I had mine on a table behind me because it was more convenient to grab from the tripod, so the camera angle was too high and not centered.

Updated 07/15/2022
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip

Just now, dlow206 said:

Yeah, hand/waist high, pointed around the center of your handline. 

I had mine on a table behind me because it was more convenient to grab from the tripod, so the camera angle was too high and not centered.

Thanks for that, I didn't quite realize about it being pointed around the center of the hand line. 

Yep, camera angle is important. My instructor provided me with instructions on height and placement. I use a string that I place on the ground to ensure I have everything lined up.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

The type of camera has an effect as well.  I noticed the GoPro i used last Fall to video my putter stroke has a sort of fish eye look to it.    My phone at the time had a crappy camera and I am now using the new phone for better videoing.  I need to get a mini tripod holder for the phone since leaning it on a oil container isn't giving me the correct angle!  😞  

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

I've decided to take a pause in working with Monte and have started working with a different instructor. At this time, i've determined I need a little more hand holding in working through a few issues. The new instructor independently identified the same root cause issues as Monte, so I am still working through the same issues, just with a bit more hands on help and the opportunity to have more in-depth dialogue on working through the issues. 

Updated 07/15/2022

4 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

I've decided to take a pause in working with Monte and have started working with a different instructor. At this time, i've determined I need a little more hand holding in working through a few issues. The new instructor independently identified the same root cause issues as Monte, so I am still working through the same issues, just with a bit more hands on help and the opportunity to have more in-depth dialogue on working through the issues. 

Who are you working with?

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

2 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Who are you working with?

Jonathan Chown on Skillest. 

Updated 07/15/2022

14 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Jonathan Chown on Skillest. 

Cool. Curious on your opinion of Monte’s improvement plan. It’s something I have considered since it’s about 1/2 the cost of 2 lessons per month and the amount of time after a lesson I get with my current coach.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

14 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Cool. Curious on your opinion of Monte’s improvement plan. It’s something I have considered since it’s about 1/2 the cost of 2 lessons per month and the amount of time after a lesson I get with my current coach.

My original understanding of what was included with Monte's improvement plan is a bit different than what it actually is. Based on having used it for a while, it is meant to be a very brief validation between lessons or while you are working on things from his videos. I use the word "validation" and not "check-in". For me, "check-in" implies discussing how things are going, course corrections, changing focus, etc. Its not exactly that. Its more of a very brief validation that you are doing the drill/change in the correct manner and not doing something that is worse or causing new issues. Typically a one sentence email response. 

I've gotten stuck for a bit now on my current issue for a while now. With the Improvement Plan, the feedback has been "stop dropping the right shoulder". I feel i need more guidance from an instructor at this point on how to fix the issue besides "stop doing it". 

Updated 07/15/2022

1 minute ago, dlow206 said:

My original understanding of what was included with Monte's improvement plan is a bit different than what it actually is. Based on having used it for a while, it is meant to be a very brief validation between lessons or while you are working on things from his videos. I use the word "validation" and not "check-in". For me, "check-in" implies discussing how things are going, course corrections, changing focus, etc. Its not exactly that. Its more of a very brief validation that you are doing the drill/change in the correct manner and not doing something that is worse or causing new issues. Typically a one sentence email response. 

I've gotten stuck for a bit now on my current issue for a while now. With the Improvement Plan, the feedback has been "stop dropping the right shoulder". I feel i need more guidance from an instructor at this point on how to fix the issue besides "stop doing it". 

Gotcha that helps 

I agree, that doesn’t sound helpful.

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

11 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I agree, that doesn’t sound helpful.

I am sure it works well for some folks and I still definitely love Monte's teaching and am still going to attend his clinic this summer. I just need to have more dialogue in detail with a coach right now to work through my issues. 

Updated 07/15/2022

I am sure it works well for some folks and I still definitely love Monte's teaching and am still going to attend his clinic this summer. I just need to have more dialogue in detail with a coach right now to work through my issues. 

Dialog is the important part. Telling a person what is wrong is fine, but there need to be som suggestions on how to fix that problem.

14 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

My wife and I have a clinic with Monte in LA area on March 27-29; only 6 people maximum.  I plan on inquiring about followup and will certainly discuss the Improvement Plan.  

Given the number of Monte's Instagram followers and the number of clinics that he puts on every year, I don't see how he can spend more than a passing review of everyone's swing issues.  The online lessons and remote live lessons are probably what most people think of when they hear Improvement Plan.  As with in-person or video lessons with any instructor, these cost much more.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

5 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

My wife and I have a clinic with Monte in LA area on March 27-29; only 6 people maximum.  I plan on inquiring about followup and will certainly discuss the Improvement Plan.  

Given the number of Monte's Instagram followers and the number of clinics that he puts on every year, I don't see how he can spend more than a passing review of everyone's swing issues.  The online lessons and remote live lessons are probably what most people think of when they hear Improvement Plan.  As with in-person or video lessons with any instructor, these cost much more.  

Agree on the point about the online lessons and remote live lessons. One thing about his online lessons and remote live lessons is that he doesn't want folks to come back to frequently for lessons, i think 3 to 6 weeks between lessons. I'm just more needy right now in wanting to talk through things I am working on and what I am finding difficult, etc. 

Updated 07/15/2022

1 hour ago, dlow206 said:

Agree on the point about the online lessons and remote live lessons. One thing about his online lessons and remote live lessons is that he doesn't want folks to come back to frequently for lessons, i think 3 to 6 weeks between lessons. I'm just more needy right now in wanting to talk through things I am working on and what I am finding difficult, etc. 

the 2+ weeks has been what most instructors I’ve worked with recommend.  It gives time for the student to spend the time to work on the drills/feels without adding too much at one time.

The ability to communicate in between that time with feedback is where I think most instructors don’t have a good system in place. 

With my current coach he has two weeks of follow up access. I did a couple lessons with him every two weeks and sometimes it was 3-4 before golf season ended.  

No swing update posts for today, just a quick reflection. I feel proud on the overall progress I made. When I first started getting out on to the course regularly in Jan 2020, I was worried about even playing a round with other people, that I would take like 10 shots a hole and hold everyone up. Although I am by no means a good golfer yet, I can go out there, play decently at times, hit some good shots, make some pars, some occasional birdies, hit some cool shots that spin back towards the hole (thats not always desired, but makes you feel like you hit a good shot), etc.  

Updated 07/15/2022

4 hours ago, dlow206 said:

No swing update posts for today, just a quick reflection. I feel proud on the overall progress I made. When I first started getting out on to the course regularly in Jan 2020, I was worried about even playing a round with other people, that I would take like 10 shots a hole and hold everyone up. Although I am by no means a good golfer yet, I can go out there, play decently at times, hit some good shots, make some pars, some occasional birdies, hit some cool shots that spin back towards the hole (thats not always desired, but makes you feel like you hit a good shot), etc.  

You're Golfing!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 3 weeks later...

I have been working on a few of the things I have been working on for a bit: not losing tilt too quickly in the downswing, not early extended, etc.

My instructor had given me some drills to work on, and those started to help. In the mean time, I did a little experimentation on the strength of grip of my right hand and weakening my right hand a bit. Not super weak, just more neutral or slightly weak. That helped my contact and ball flight tremendously. 

My instructor was good with the experimentation and said in theory based on how I swing, it could be helpful, but he wanted to see what my swing looked like with this grip change. After making the grip change, he said my rotation in the downswing is much better and i am keeping tilt much better. Also, path is more neutral rather than too much from the inside. He is happy with the change. 

My instructor was explaining how different people react differently to different grips. I won't go into all the nuances, but with a strong grip, my body attempts to square the clubface by raising the handle, early extending, and other bad things. With the weaker right hand, my body doesn't do those or at least not as severely. I might not be explaining everything he conveyed perfectly, but i understand what he is saying.

I feel like these days there are a lot of instructors say strong grip = good, weak grip = bad, but I am learning that its more about match ups and how a certain grip type works is very individual. 

Updated 07/15/2022

On 3/19/2021 at 4:14 PM, dlow206 said:

I have been working on a few of the things I have been working on for a bit: not losing tilt too quickly in the downswing, not early extended, etc.

My instructor had given me some drills to work on, and those started to help. In the mean time, I did a little experimentation on the strength of grip of my right hand and weakening my right hand a bit. Not super weak, just more neutral or slightly weak. That helped my contact and ball flight tremendously. 

My instructor was good with the experimentation and said in theory based on how I swing, it could be helpful, but he wanted to see what my swing looked like with this grip change. After making the grip change, he said my rotation in the downswing is much better and i am keeping tilt much better. Also, path is more neutral rather than too much from the inside. He is happy with the change. 

My instructor was explaining how different people react differently to different grips. I won't go into all the nuances, but with a strong grip, my body attempts to square the clubface by raising the handle, early extending, and other bad things. With the weaker right hand, my body doesn't do those or at least not as severely. I might not be explaining everything he conveyed perfectly, but i understand what he is saying.

I feel like these days there are a lot of instructors say strong grip = good, weak grip = bad, but I am learning that its more about match ups and how a certain grip type works is very individual. 

Swing looks really good. Looking forward to continual posts and progress. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small: Sim 2 - 19 Hybrid Tensei Orange 90TX

Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 4-5 P7MC Raw 6-PW MMT 125TX

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 50.10F, 54.10S - X100 & 58.04T S400

Putter: Lajosi DD201

:titelist-small: Pro V1X Left Dash

16 minutes ago, LeftyMatt89 said:

Swing looks really good. Looking forward to continual posts and progress. 

Thanks for following along

Updated 07/15/2022

I have been making strides in my rotation. My instructor put this on his instagram story today, shows the difference in positions coming into impact.

The biggest thing that has helped my rotation and better overall movement has been the grip change (weaker right hand, v-pointing to about my chin or just right of my chin). In my post from last week, I explained briefly why the weaker right hand helps me a lot. My instructor really likes how the weaker right hand is a good match up with my swing, whereas it might not be so good for others. 

image.png.40b296ad5150b8bdb19f8e248266c040.png

Updated 07/15/2022

I think i made a truly significant discovery today. I have been having trouble hitting my irons even with improvements to my swing. I get that it takes time for swing changes to take effect, but I have been continuing to suffer from fat shots, 45 degree right shots off the toe, etc. Mid round, i made the discovery that if i reduce my grip pressure, i hit my irons significantly better. I went to the range after my 9 hole round today to make sure it wasn't some weird fluke. It wasn't. Reducing my grip pressure so that I am not death gripping the club and making sure the grip is in my fingers really has a significant impact on my ball striking. 

Updated 07/15/2022

Best my swing has felt in a while, feels natural, can bring it to the course with pretty good results. 

There are two key feels for me in my swing right now. In the backswing, I need to feel my arms starting and making the backswing and let the hips turn as a result of my arms moving, essentially the No Turn part of NTC. I'm not specifically working on NTC, but that no turn feel helps me quite a bit with my backswing. Second, to ensure I have the tempo that works well for me, feel like i'm paused at the top. It feels like i'm paused for a long time at the top, but there is no pause to be seen on video. I do not want to have an actual noticeable pause, i just need to feel like there is a pause to prevent my tempo from getting too quick. 

Updated 07/15/2022

I am sort of in this weird mental space. Golf swing vs. what works better on-course. One thing I noticed yesterday was that my eyes wander off the ball when I start my backswing, and that wandering of the eyes makes my ball contact inconsistent. Now, when I properly keep my eyes focused on the ball, contact is a million times better, but on video, I look less shallow in transition. I need to stop chasing what looks nice on video and focus on what works well plus what my instructor wants me to work on. 

Updated 07/15/2022

Current swing.

Updated 07/15/2022

26 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

I am sort of in this weird mental space. Golf swing vs. what works better on-course. One thing I noticed yesterday was that my eyes wander off the ball when I start my backswing, and that wandering of the eyes makes my ball contact inconsistent. Now, when I properly keep my eyes focused on the ball, contact is a million times better, but on video, I look less shallow in transition. I need to stop chasing what looks nice on video and focus on what works well plus what my instructor wants me to work on. 

Good observation. Adam young has this philosophy too. There are some non ideal swings out there but all that matters is what you do at contact and how that relates to your dispersion pattern for every club

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review